Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #1 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Help Pick G25HP, V3611, 118HT, or PB16

I am in the process of building a new home theater area. I let all of my old stuff go with the old house when I sold it except my B&W CM10 S2 Front, Left, and Center. I will be adding B&W CWM7.3 in wall to the sides that match for the side left and right. I am also planning to add four B&W 663 ceiling for Atmos. Unfortunately, I will not have rear surrounds since the room opens to the rest of the basement behind the seating and then opens to sliding glass doors since it is a walkout.

I do want something that will blend well with the B&W.

The theater area is approx 20x14x6.5. However, it then opens behind the seating (large V couch where the center is aligned with the center of the TV) to an area that is a little bigger than the theater area. It is on concrete floors, but is carpeted. I am still finalizing the receiver purchase, but probably going with the Denon 8500 or Anthem 60 with Anthem Amplifiers. I am leaning toward the 8500 since I want the ability to add HDMI 2.1 in the future and also Auro 36. However, ARC seems pretty good on the Anthem.

I do mostly movies and TV, but also some gaming and some music ... maybe 70/20/10. I like very clean and precise bass that does not give me a headache. However, I also want it to scare people when that perfect scene in the movie calls for it. I will be buying dual subs and likely placing them on both sides of the screen since that is the only good spot to put them (the rest of the basement is more of a rec area). I would prefer Piano black since that is what the B&W are, but something that does not contrast too much should work.

Size is not a major concern. However, I don't want to go much more than 30 inches in height since it starts to interfere with the screen (I am adding a LG 77 C8). I am open to ported or sealed, but have not had much experience with ported in the past. I do have sensitive ears, so sloppy base does give me a headache. I listen to movies at a reasonable level and really want the base to not be noticeable until the scene or shot that should make someone jump. Then I want them to say HOLY CHIT!

Cost is not a huge issue, until I go over $5500. Then I would have to think hard about it and get some serious performance gain. Since it is in the basement, I am planning to add an actuator to the seating, but have not decided which one yet. Most likely the Crowson.

I have narrowed it down to a few options and would love some of your thoughts along with an explanation why. If a great option is not on the list, please add that. I will put them in order of where I am thinking right now, but this could easily change with the right info.

1. Rhythmik G25HP. This one is probably in first place right now, but I have not seen many reviews on how it performs for Home Theater. I do like that I can get it in piano black. I travel to Houston a lot, so I could try to visit them since it looks like they are out of Austin.

2. PSA S3611 or V3611. Seems like it gets pretty good reviews. I live in Michigan and it would be pretty easy for me to drive down there since it looks like they are in Ohio.

3. JTR Captivator 2400 (or 118HT). I could visit them also since it looks like they are in Chicago and I travel there a lot for work.

4. SVS PB16 or SB16. This started out as my #1 , but I am hearing about some quality issues that concern me. I am also reading about chafing, which would drive me crazy. However, they do look beautiful and would match great. I could easily visit them also since it looks like they are in Ohio. I do like the idea of getting it from Best Buy so they have to do all the heavy lifting for me.

5. JL Audio e112. These are only on the list since a local shop raves about them. I was fairly impressed when I listened to them but not confident that they are a good bang for the buck. They do look nice and the size/look is appealing. The shop swears that this is better than the SVS since they have experience with both.

Let me know your thoughts and if I am missing anything. Also, if you have any comments on the Denon 8500, I would love the hear them. Once I make a decision and get everything set up, I will be sure to keep this post going and provide insight to others.

I have been reading the forum for a long time, but this is the first time ever starting a thread. Hope I did it right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sounds to me like ported would better suit what you're looking for, and you have a pretty decent sized room. The JTR Caps would be great, I'd also consider the PSA V3611, or perhaps a Rhythmik FV18 or FV25 depending how much you want to spend..
iceatola likes this.
post #3 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
1 (or 2) JTR Cap2400,either the regular or ULF - both are killer - and can be laid on their side to meet the height requirement

A pair of Rythmik FV18 would also be nice in there

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon 4311ci Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdogger7 View Post
I am open to ported or sealed, but have not had much experience with ported in the past. I do have sensitive ears, so sloppy base does give me a headache. I listen to movies at a reasonable level and really want the base to not be noticeable until the scene or shot that should make someone jump. Then I want them to say HOLY CHIT!

1. Rhythmik G25HP. This one is probably in first place right now

2. PSA S3611 or V3611. Seems like it gets pretty good reviews.

3. JTR Captivator 2400 (or 118HT).

4. SVS PB16 or SB16. but I am hearing about some quality issues that concern me.

5. JL Audio e112. These are only on the list since a local shop raves about them. I was fairly impressed when I listened to them but not confident that they are a good bang for the buck. They do look nice and the size/look is appealing. The shop swears that this is better than the SVS since they have experience with both.

Hope I did it right!
1. Rythmik: Add the FV18 to the Rythmik list. Vented is the way to go for most HT's unless you have a sealed room. The Rythmik thanks to the Servo will be super quick and will not be noticed until it is time.
2. PSA is always a solid choice for HT for less money but money is not a big problem for you.
3. JTR is a close #1 on my list for you. 2400 is perfect for your needs. I think you can read about this one compared to the Rythmik.
4. SVS, you can take this one off your list unless you just want something pretty.
5. JL Audio??? Why is this even on your list. Your local shop rave about it for Music but for HT it is not in the same category as most of the others.
post #5 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Cap 2400 all day long
post #6 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 2466
Help Pick G25HP, V3611, 118HT, or PB16

@Jdogger7 , firstly well done on having done some research and starting with a solid list of subs.

I would really encourage you to have a read of this thread. It will help you quite a bit

http://01900888.com/forum/113-s...pressions.html

Each of those subs provides something different. I would firstly stick with ported. Those tend to do better on concrete, open space and with movies and will cost less than trying to achieve the same impact with sealed.

I would also narrow your search down to JTR 2400 and Rythmik FV25HP. The reason is that those two plus the PB16 will generate a lot of low bass SPL which will add weight to the bass and help on concrete to get some TR. The PB16 is a fine sub but I think you will get more performance out of the JTR and Rythmik for the same price. Now if looks are a major concern the SVS is really pretty, followed by Rythmik and then JTR (unless you pay more to get a custom finish). The JTR and Rythmik will sound different. The JTR is more violent and in your face all the time versus Rythmik that also has good TR but is more precise and stealthy and sneaks up on you when called for in a bass heavy scene. For music I would prefer the Rythmik Fv25HP. You could also add in the FV18 with paper cone to the list which in my books is a bargain at the price offered for the performance it gives.

This will largely come down to personal preference. For brute force and in your face type bass, the JTR is the choice. The Rythmik also offers the same but in a more refined manner and calls less attention to itself. Read the thread above and you will get a very good idea on these two companies and subs

Ray

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev 2 with Paper cone
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA MT 110sr Surrounds
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, WD Live TV media player, Roku Ultra & Premium, Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD

Last edited by imureh; 01-10-2019 at 02:08 PM.
post #7 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 02:05 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
@Jdogger7 , firstly well done on having some research and starting with a solid list of subs.

I would really encourage you to have a read of this thread. It will help you quite a bit

Each of those subs provides something different. I would firstly stick with ported. Those tend to do better in concrete, open space and with movies and will cost less than trying to achiege the same impact with sealed.

I would also narrow your search down to JTR 2400 and Rythmik FV25HP. The reason is that those two plus the PB16 will generate a lot of low bass SPL which will add weight to the bass and help on concrete to get some TR. The PB16 is a fine sub but I think you will get more performance out of the JTR and Rythmik for the same price. Now if looks are a major concern the SVS is really pretty, followed by Rythmik and then JTR (unless you pay more to get a custom finish). The JTR and Rythmik will sound different. The JTR is more violent and in your face all the time versus Rythmik that also has good TR but is more precise and stealthy and sneaks up on you when called for in a bass heavy scene. For music I would prefer the Rythmik Fv25HP. You could also add in the FV18 with paper cone to the list which in my books is a bargain at the price offered for the performance it gives.

This will largely come down to personal preference. For brute force and in your face type bass, the JTR is the choice. The Rythmik also offers the same but in a more refined manner and calls less attention to itself. Read the thread above and you will get a very good idea on these two companies and subs

Ray
One question. Do you want a remote volume control? Perhaps the SVS PB16 comes up a little short on maximum output compared to some of the others but it's no slouch that's for sure. Maybe it's just me but I constantly adjust the sub volume for different movies and music and I don't want to have to climb over the top of my sub to get to some knobs on the back. Adjusting the level control on your processor for sub volume is not the right way to go about it either. The fit and finish of the SVS subs is top notch. The EQ and controls through the Bluetooth app is fantastic. So do you want the absolute most output or would you like a little more refinement and ease of use in a sub that can still impress just about everyone.
iceatola likes this.
post #8 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Already good advice given. Regardless of your choice, I was going to suggest putting your seating area on a wooden riser as this should help with some tactile feel, but is that a miss print on your ceiling height? If only 6.5' then disregard my suggestion as it's already very tight.
jamiebosco likes this.

Integra DTR-6.8/Yamaha BD-A1060/Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak). Chane A 2.4 L/C/R, Chane A 1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #9 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoast View Post
One question. Do you want a remote volume control? Perhaps the SVS PB16 comes up a little short on maximum output compared to some of the others but it's no slouch that's for sure. Maybe it's just me but I constantly adjust the sub volume for different movies and music and I don't want to have to climb over the top of my sub to get to some knobs on the back. Adjusting the level control on your processor for sub volume is not the right way to go about it either. The fit and finish of the SVS subs is top notch. The EQ and controls through the Bluetooth app is fantastic. So do you want the absolute most output or would you like a little more refinement and ease of use in a sub that can still impress just about everyone.
If you are constantly adjust the sub volume, that just means your sub is not setup correctly or your response is not flat. 99% of the time you will never readjust the sub setting unless something is really off with the source material. Same with the EQ controls. The remote/app is just a gimmick... okay not really but you will use it a lot the first week but after you lock in the settings you should NOT touch anything until you change your system in someway. It just saves a little time from standing up and changing a setting and sitting back down.
Kini62, basshead81 and iceatola like this.
post #10 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@Jdogger7 , firstly well done on having done some research and starting with a solid list of subs.

Each of those subs provides something different. I would firstly stick with ported. Those tend to do better on concrete, open space and with movies and will cost less than trying to achieve the same impact with sealed.

Ray

Thanks for the help and insight. Also, thanks for the link. I will be reading through that thread tonight!

Do you think the JTR 2400 is worth the extra cost of the 118HT? I don't mind paying it if so. Thanks again.
post #11 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 1688
Quote:
Do you think the JTR 2400 is worth the extra cost of the 118HT? I don't mind paying it if so. Thanks again.
8hz extension difference is substantial. To me, it’s worth the extra cost.
Blacklightning and toddct like this.
post #12 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbA7601 View Post
Sounds to me like ported would better suit what you're looking for, and you have a pretty decent sized room. The JTR Caps would be great, I'd also consider the PSA V3611, or perhaps a Rhythmik FV18 or FV25 depending how much you want to spend..
Thanks for the insight. The V3611 does look great, but I worry that at 44 inch height it would interfere with the side viewing of the TV. I don't think I want to put something on its side, but will measure for that as a possible option. Does it work as good on its side?

The FV25 appears to be 42 inches high, so same issue as the V3611. I will measure for it also tho.

I had not really thought of the FV18 so I will do some research on that one also. It looks like it would fit perfect.

Thanks again for the help.

J
post #13 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
1 (or 2) JTR Cap2400,either the regular or ULF - both are killer - and can be laid on their side to meet the height requirement

A pair of Rythmik FV18 would also be nice in there
Looks like the 2400 would fit perfect, but the ULF version would probably need to be on its side. Is it a significant improvement to have the ULF?

If you HAD to choose between two 2400 and two FB18 (and they were the same price), which would you choose? Thanks again.
post #14 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
1. Rythmik: Add the FV18 to the Rythmik list. Vented is the way to go for most HT's unless you have a sealed room. The Rythmik thanks to the Servo will be super quick and will not be noticed until it is time.
2. PSA is always a solid choice for HT for less money but money is not a big problem for you.
3. JTR is a close #1 on my list for you. 2400 is perfect for your needs. I think you can read about this one compared to the Rythmik.
4. SVS, you can take this one off your list unless you just want something pretty.
5. JL Audio??? Why is this even on your list. Your local shop rave about it for Music but for HT it is not in the same category as most of the others.
Great insight. Thanks.
post #15 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's a great point and something that would be very convenient. I am constantly lowering the volume when my wife texts me telling me to (in a very strong way depending on how late it is)

I was planning to decide the best set of subs to get first. Then, if the volume is a major pain, I was planning to use something like the DSpeaker to run them through. My understanding is that would also allow me to control the volume as needed. However, please let me know if I am missing something or this would hurt the sound at all.

Thanks again for the help.
post #16 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Already good advice given. Regardless of your choice, I was going to suggest putting your seating area on a wooden riser as this should help with some tactile feel, but is that a miss print on your ceiling height? If only 6.5' then disregard my suggestion as it's already very tight.
Unfortunately, I am stuck with 6.5 foot ceilings in that part of the basement. The rest of the basement opens up to higher ceilings, but this is the best place for the home theater. Thanks for the thought tho.
post #17 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
8hz extension difference is substantial. To me, it’s worth the extra cost.
Very helpful. Thanks
post #18 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@Jdogger7 , Now if looks are a major concern the SVS is really pretty, followed by Rythmik and then JTR (unless you pay more to get a custom finish).

Ray
The looks do matter to me since they will be sitting next to piano black speakers. Do you know if you can get a piano black finish with the JTR for a higher price? Thanks again for the help.
post #19 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The looks do matter to me since they will be sitting next to piano black speakers. Do you know if you can get a piano black finish with the JTR for a higher price? Thanks again for the help.
Yes you can get the JTR in any finish you want for an up-charge. The V3611 is a very good sub but not strong below 20hz. The V3611 is a monster above that though.

The Rythmik and JTR are lower tuned subs and will provide more lower bass which you may find you are missing with the V3611 especially being on concrete. I would go with the ULF which likely has 4-5db more output down low than the smaller cabinet. There is some question about the difference in conditions when the ULF version was tested and likely resulted in some lower numbers.

The 2400 ULF is a monster and two of those should make you happy. The FV25HP as I said is equally strong but just not as violent and untamed. Some like the raw nature of the JTR versus the refined Rythmik some don't. The FV18 paper cone can be had in black oak which is a very nice finish IMO for no extra charge. The price difference is substantial between the 2400 ULF, FV25HP and FV18. The FV18 will not be as strong as the JTR but a bargain at the price for the performance.

You could go with the SVS as well. It is a very good sub and when I heard it reminded me a lot of JTR. The fit and finish, build quality, fancy controls, service etc are all top notch. They are just pricey compared to the other sub in the same price range when performance is compared but that does not make it a bad or weak sub. Now if you end up tossing in a custom finish to the JTR then with shipping and finish charge, you could be looking around $800-1000 more per sub compared to the FV25HP or PB16. The FV25HP cannot be had in a piano black or black oak unfortunately just black matte but it is a pretty looking sub.
toddct likes this.

Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, WD Live TV media player, Roku Ultra & Premium, Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD

Last edited by imureh; 01-10-2019 at 04:12 PM.
post #20 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Also keep in mind that SpeakerPower has been sold and a reported 20% increase in price has been disclosed by the new owner as i read this on that thread. So likely a price increase for any ID sub company using their amps. Finish upcharge and (if) amp charge has been passed to ID companies could result in a bit of an eye opener for the final bill.
ahblaza and imureh like this.

Integra DTR-6.8/Yamaha BD-A1060/Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak). Chane A 2.4 L/C/R, Chane A 1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #21 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 3178 Post(s)
Liked: 3645
Get the best subwoofer you can afford and trow a miniDSP 2x4 HD + WiGi adapter in the cart and you will have a killer subwoofer that you can fine EQ and adjust volume with your smartphone or computer, have 4 x different Presets and also use it for BEQ movies. Who needs a control app built in a subwoofer when you can get for less than $200 such a powerful tool like the miniDSP 2x4 HD?
toddct, ahblaza, imureh and 1 others like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #22 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Get the best subwoofer you can afford and trow a miniDSP 2x4 HD + WiGi adapter in the cart and you will have a killer subwoofer that you can fine EQ and adjust volume with your smartphone or computer, have 4 x different Presets and also use it for BEQ movies. Who needs a control app built in a subwoofer when you can get for less than $200 such a powerful tool like the miniDSP 2x4 HD?
Great point. Thanks for the insight.
post #23 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Also keep in mind that SpeakerPower has been sold and a reported 20% increase in price has been disclosed by the new owner as i read this on that thread.
Interesting, I did not know that.

I normally try to be somewhat unbiased when suggesting subs, but screw it this time..........JTR 2400ULF BABY!!

Honestly though, any of the other subs mentioned from Rythmik and SVS would be great. Hard to go wrong at this level.

Todd
chucky7, jamiebosco and imureh like this.

The Tale of Two Towers! Rythmik FV25 vs JTR 2400ULF:http://01900888.com/forum/113-s...l#post57334986 Houston GTG Sept 29th:http://01900888.com/forum/61-ar...l#post56532406 Subs JTR Captivator 2400-10ULF x 2 Speakers Von Schwiekert VR4 JR MkII, LCR-15, TS-150
post #24 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddct View Post

I normally try to be somewhat unbiased when suggesting subs, but screw it this time..........JTR 2400ULF BABY!!

Honestly though, any of the other subs mentioned from Rythmik and SVS would be great. Hard to go wrong at this level.

Todd

Dang. You backed off at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #25 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Quoted: 3098 Post(s)
Liked: 3802
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddct View Post

Todd
Unless you go on to SpeakerPower website, you won't know and probably don't need to know about the price increase.

IIRC, there was an increase in price, but the 'sale' kind of held it similar to the price before. The 'sale' ended in 2018.

The 700W amp was $399 and now $479.
The 1400W amp was $699 and now $819.
The 2400W amp was $899 and now $1,089.
The 4000W amp was $1099 and now $1,219.

Just in case people don't know, the minimum wage in California went up by 9% on Jan 1st, 2019.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Sur: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3.
Subwoofers: JTR Captivator 4000ULF / 1400.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Panasonic TC-P55UT50.

FS: JTR Cap 1400, Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 01-10-2019 at 06:07 PM.
post #26 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Dang. You backed off at the end.
I know right! I'm just too nice of a guy.

Ok then, JTR 2400ULF.......nothing else will do!

Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Unless you go on to SpeakerPower website, you won't know and probably don't need to know about the price increase.
No I don't really and already have my "Precious" so it's not like I'm buying some new ones. I guess, it's not really a shock with all the trade wars going on. And yeah, Cali is a little pricey!

Todd

The Tale of Two Towers! Rythmik FV25 vs JTR 2400ULF:http://01900888.com/forum/113-s...l#post57334986 Houston GTG Sept 29th:http://01900888.com/forum/61-ar...l#post56532406 Subs JTR Captivator 2400-10ULF x 2 Speakers Von Schwiekert VR4 JR MkII, LCR-15, TS-150

Last edited by toddct; 01-10-2019 at 06:32 PM.
post #27 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 8003
Quote:
One question. Do you want a remote volume control? Perhaps the SVS PB16 comes up a little short on maximum output compared to some of the others...
Everyone will need to decide on value for their own specific needs of course. Some do value the svs app that cannot be debated. But, it is important to properly understand that "coming up a *little* short" really means you're usually giving up about HALF of the performance compared to ID brands like rythmik and jtr.

The FV25 is about the same price as the pb16u iirc? And you would need dual pb16u to have similar output capabilities to one fv25(averaged from 15-100hz).

sb16u? $2000? That's about equal to the $825(?) hsu uls15.

So while everyone can easily see what perks are marketed--- sometimes it seems like the true cost for those perks(literally paying double for similar performance) can be misunderstood or minimized significantly.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie spends in the bush, he gets stronger. Every time I look around the walls move in a little tighter.
post #28 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
If you are constantly adjust the sub volume, that just means your sub is not setup correctly or your response is not flat. 99% of the time you will never readjust the sub setting unless something is really off with the source material. Same with the EQ controls. The remote/app is just a gimmick... okay not really but you will use it a lot the first week but after you lock in the settings you should NOT touch anything until you change your system in someway. It just saves a little time from standing up and changing a setting and sitting back down.
you saying all movies and music are mastered the same level, bass out put, freq response ?
so i need to set my sub once, and forget it?
ive NEVER seen the same level, or even close on anything as of late.
im constantly fine tuning my svs to my liking, between movies, diff types of music, etc.
once you get the GIMMICK in your hand, and see how much it will help ALL music and movies out, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.
theres NO WAY to set a sub and forget it,.. dont fool yourself.....
unless you like baseless music one minute, and bloated crap music and movies the next.
i guess some people just learn to live with subpar bass that are too lazy to address the situation....
post #29 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 187
wow

this is the puny lil overpriced, outdated, 13 inch, svs , compared to the ULF MONSTER 18 INCH CAP 2400 ?
it smokes it wayyyy down low, but from 20hz and up,not too shabby.
makes me wonder what the pb 16 ultra would look like graphed next to it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	svs vs 2400.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	2509064  

Last edited by nodoubt; 01-10-2019 at 08:17 PM.
post #30 of 53 Old 01-10-2019, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Quoted: 3098 Post(s)
Liked: 3802
I thought you'd never ask...

CallingMrBenzo likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Sur: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3.
Subwoofers: JTR Captivator 4000ULF / 1400.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Panasonic TC-P55UT50.

FS: JTR Cap 1400, Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
118HT , E112 , g25hp , pb16 , v3611