1Likes
  • 1 Post By bluenova

post #1 of 5 Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Need help picking a Bass Shaker

I built a Full Marty sub with a Dayton Ultimax 18" a couple months ago, it completely changed the way my mini theater sounded since I previously owned a PSW505. I also got a Mini-DSP and frequent the "Bass EQ for Filtered Movies" thread, but a lot of the times I dont get the full benefit of the EQ because my Sub enclosure is tuned to 17hz. Add in the steep HPF for protection and I basically get no ULF.

In my situation which Bass shaker + Amp would you get for a 3 seater couch to fill in where the sub drops off? Budget is $1,000

Help a noob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I’m in the same boat. I’m looking at Crowsons($$$$$$ but probably the best performance reaching all the way down to 1hz and actually lifts the chair) or the earthquake mqb-1($$ but performance under 10hz may be significantly less, some say it’s the best performing “shaker”) you could buy 3 earthquakes for the price of 1 Crowson but I think I’m holding out for Crowsons instead.
ArchBishopFocwod likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have three cheap shakers attached to my two seater right now, 100W each. Their performance between 10-20Hz is 'meh' and nothing below 10. Above that you'll get a decent massage, but I was aiming to add a high cut at 25-30Hz (24db/oct).
Obviously I won't get much performance from them, but they were 20 bucks each and I had an amp to spare anyways, but I've only heard great things about the Crowsons.
The level 2 set will set you off 1750 bucks, so that's well above your budget but two actuators is 1000$. If you have a spare amp you could just get the two actuators and use that with the minidsp.

Pop goes Rock [Lady Gaga] Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 55" TV - Marantz NR1504 AV - Klipsch R-28F (Mains) - Klipsch R-25C (Center) - Klipsch R-15M (Surrounds) - Klipsch R-12SW (Sub)
Vintage Collection: Yamaha CR-600 - Yamaha CR-1000 - Yamaha CR-440 - Klipsch Heresy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2019, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenova View Post
I’m in the same boat. I’m looking at Crowsons($$$$$$ but probably the best performance reaching all the way down to 1hz and actually lifts the chair) or the earthquake mqb-1($$ but performance under 10hz may be significantly less, some say it’s the best performing “shaker”) you could buy 3 earthquakes for the price of 1 Crowson but I think I’m holding out for Crowsons instead.
Why not the Q10b?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-12-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchBishopFocwod View Post
Why not the Q10b?
I don’t have first hand experience but have heard the larger one makes some noise while the smaller is silent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers