Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
I am pretty sure this is correct:
Yes, perfect.
AdamAttewell likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1082 Old 01-09-2019, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Yes, perfect.

Still looks green, very strange. I can get it looking "right" but thats by eye. I just dont understand why it's so off.

For error should I be using DEICTCP 240 or DEICTCP 720?

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 01-09-2019 at 06:55 AM.
post #1053 of 1082 Old 01-09-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Still looks green, very strange. I can get it looking "right" but thats by eye. I just dont understand why it's so off.
Check what HCFR with BT.2390 enabled will report to you, taking the same readings.

If you find out that there major difference between CalMAN and HCFR, then contact SpectraCAL to report it.

Quote:
For error should I be using DEICTCP 240 or DEICTCP 720?

720 multiplier has been added to CalMAN as an attempt to match the values to a JND (Just Noticeable Difference), which Dolby 'think' that is 3.

But we know that 1 JND is 2.3 dE.... but there no problem to use any of those Dolby dE, there no right or wrong, just report differently the error.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 1082 Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Check what HCFR with BT.2390 enabled will report to you, taking the same readings.

If you find out that there major difference between CalMAN and HCFR, then contact SpectraCAL to report it.

720 multiplier has been added to CalMAN as an attempt to match the values to a JND (Just Noticeable Difference), which Dolby 'think' that is 3.

But we know that 1 JND is 2.3 dE.... but there no problem to use any of those Dolby dE, there no right or wrong, just report differently the error.

I have never used HCFR so thats going to be a learning curve, getting the meters setup & profiled. Selecting the right options etc.
post #1055 of 1082 Old 01-09-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have never used HCFR so thats going to be a learning curve, getting the meters setup & profiled. Selecting the right options etc.
There no need to perform meter profiling, just you want to see if there differences between software, unless you test you will never know why your picture is green-ish.

post #1056 of 1082 Old 01-09-2019, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There no need to perform meter profiling, just you want to see if there differences between software, unless you test you will never know why your picture is green-ish.

But if I dont profile my meter the are going to be differences between the two softwares, are you suggesting using the spectro to take measurements just to test?
post #1057 of 1082 Old 01-09-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But if I dont profile my meter the are going to be differences between the two softwares, are you suggesting using the spectro to take measurements just to test?
Just select the RAW XYZ table from CalMAN and the Generic CMF (default one, I don't remember if its called 'generic') from HCFR, so the measurements will be identical.

post #1058 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just select the RAW XYZ table from CalMAN and the Generic CMF (default one, I don't remember if its called 'generic') from HCFR, so the measurements will be identical.

Is this the comparison I need to make?

post #1059 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is this the comparison I need to make?
Yes, see RGB balance @ 40-50-60%, while the xy (which define RGB balance) are nearly identical, the RGB bars of Blue @ CalMAN show massive difference, so something is not looking OK.
AdamAttewell likes this.

post #1060 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, see RGB balance @ 40-50-60%, while the xy (which define RGB balance) are nearly identical, the RGB bars of Blue @ CalMAN show massive difference, so something is not looking OK.

Before I jump the gun are these setting correct & are there any more I need to check just to be sure the readings/results are accurate when comparing them to the CalMAN results?

Or does this not matter & is just a error/bug in the CalMAN software? Most probably coming forM using BT.2390?

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 01-10-2019 at 04:27 AM.
post #1061 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Before I jump the gun are these setting correct & are there any more I need to check just to be sure the readings/results are accurate?
Your settings are correct for that comparison.
AdamAttewell likes this.

post #1062 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Your settings are correct for that comparison.

So am I correct in saying this is a bug in the CalMAN software?

If so will these images be enough evidence to prove this is the case?

I know I will have to contact CalMAN support but I just want to be sure.
post #1063 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So am I correct in saying this is a bug in the CalMAN software?

If so will these images be enough evidence to prove this is the case?

I know I will have to contact CalMAN support but I just want to be sure.
Sure, from your end you are right, now you have to contact CalMAN Support to report it.
AdamAttewell likes this.

post #1064 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

So I transferred the matrix figures from the meter profile I created in CalMAN to HCFR & did a basic two point greyscale & the green has gone!

Looks like I have wasted the best part of a week to a bug. I am not very happy seeing how much I have paid over the years for CalMAN.

Big thanks Ted for all your help (again) I thought I was losing it for a moment there.
post #1065 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
So I transferred the matrix figures from the meter profile I created in CalMAN to HCFR & did a basic two point greyscale & the green has gone!
Just wondering why you would be using the settings from others, if you have your own calibration hardware and software?
AdamAttewell likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-10-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #1066 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Looks like I have wasted the best part of a week to a bug. I am not very happy seeing how much I have paid over the years for CalMAN.

Big thanks Ted for all your help (again) I thought I was losing it for a moment there.
Adam, I've been following your updates here and on the 5040 thread. You should share this info on the other thread as well, would benefit others immensely. I'm building the courage to buy the tools needed to do what you are doing. I'd love to know your settings now and give them a spin on my 5040 for comparison and trial. Good job for the hard work!
AdamAttewell likes this.

Epson5040UB - DragonFly DFM Tab 92HC High Contrast 16:9 Screen - Denon AVRS740H - Klipsch Quintet V 6.2 with Polk PSW110 Sub & Monoprice Premium Select 8" Sub (via iFinity Wireless Audio) - Panasonic UB820 - PS3
post #1067 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Just wondering why you would be using the settings from others, if you have your own calibration hardware and software?

I will be honest I am not confident enough at the moment to start creating custom gamma curves & adjusting the CMS.

I seem to be struggling enough to do two point greyscale I just wanted to try what others are using but just tweak them a little so factors like screen & projector variations are minimised as much as they can be. Also thanks to you Dominic for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaquinas View Post
Adam, I've been following your updates here and on the 5040 thread. You should share this info on the other thread as well, would benefit others immensely. I'm building the courage to buy the tools needed to do what you are doing. I'd love to know your settings now and give them a spin on my 5040 for comparison and trial. Good job for the hard work!

I will do that, I will post my settings in the 5040 thread later on but they are just nielvm's & Orcus's settings with a tweaked grayscale. Do you find their settings to have a green push as well?
post #1068 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will be honest I am not confident enough at the moment to start creating custom gamma curves & adjusting the CMS.
Understandable, but if you know how to ltransfer the matrix figures from the meter profile you created in CalMAN to HCFR” and measure your greyscale in HCFR, surely creating custom gamma curves won’t be a challenge for you!
AdamAttewell likes this.
post #1069 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Understandable, but if you know how to ltransfer the matrix figures from the meter profile you created in CalMAN to HCFR” and measure your greyscale in HCFR, surely creating custom gamma curves won’t be a challenge for you!

You have more confidence in me than I do I am sure I am capable of doing it but I always like conformation I am doing things right. I find it easy ti get distracted by things that probably are not important.
post #1070 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You have more confidence in me than I do I am sure I am capable of doing it but I always like conformation I am doing things right. I find it easy ti get distracted by things that probably are not important.
In the HCFR settings, turn on the “Override targets” option. Target MaxL should match your 100% measurement; Diffuse White is usually set between 15 and 25. Even if you use gamma settings from others this will show you how close you are to the standard PQ curve (scaled down).
AdamAttewell likes this.
post #1071 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I seem to be struggling enough to do two point greyscale I just wanted to try what others are using but just tweak them a little so factors like screen & projector variations are minimised as much as they can be. Also thanks to you Dominic for your help.

I will do that, I will post my settings in the 5040 thread later on but they are just nielvm's & Orcus's settings with a tweaked grayscale. Do you find their settings to have a green push as well?
Looking forward to it. No, I don't see a green push as you have. I also used Orcus settings as a base for myself and ran through a SDR calibration (no light meter) using the Spears disc, Video Essentials, and the Disney Wow and then threw in Masciola's HDR patterns to verify HDR was on point. What I did find was a slight Red Push on some video clips on the WoW disc. I had to build a second profile on my UB820 to reign it in but it went away and I haven't had to use the 2nd profile.
AdamAttewell likes this.

Epson5040UB - DragonFly DFM Tab 92HC High Contrast 16:9 Screen - Denon AVRS740H - Klipsch Quintet V 6.2 with Polk PSW110 Sub & Monoprice Premium Select 8" Sub (via iFinity Wireless Audio) - Panasonic UB820 - PS3
post #1072 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In the HCFR settings, turn on the “Override targets” option. Target MaxL should match your 100% measurement; Diffuse White is usually set between 15 and 25. Even if you use gamma settings from others this will show you how close you are to the standard PQ curve (scaled down).

I will have a look at that, is it possible to connect my Lumagen to HCFR or is this not possible?

I am currently using my Panasonic UB820 as my pattern generator but it gets old quick having to keep skipping back & fourth between patterns every time.
post #1073 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will have a look at that, is it possible to connect my Lumagen to HCFR or is this not possible?

I am currently using my Panasonic UB820 as my pattern generator but it gets old quick having to keep skipping back & fourth between patterns every time.
I’m not familiar with Lumagen. You can use HCFR’s internal patterns for calibration, after checking that they’re consistent with the disc patterns (for white, black, primary colours).
AdamAttewell likes this.
post #1074 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I’m not familiar with Lumagen. You can use HCFR’s internal patterns for calibration, after checking that they’re consistent with the disc patterns (for white, black, primary colours).

This is probably a stupid question but they say there is no such thing as a stupid question so here goes.

Like I have now I have taken other users settings & programmed them into my projector.

All I have done to modify their settings is check contrast, brightness & adjust the two point grayscale.

Is the probability if I measured the CMS it would be way off?

Until CalMAN fix the bug if I want to check I will have to use HCFR but I have got to sort out some sort of pattern generator first. I guess the HCFR pattern generator uses the video output from your PC?
post #1075 of 1082 Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Like I have now I have taken other users settings & programmed them into my projector.
All I have done to modify their settings is check contrast, brightness & adjust the two point grayscale.
Is the probability if I measured the CMS it would be way off?
That’s impossible to predict. It depends on how well the other projector was adjusted, how similar the two projectors are, etc.

Quote:
Until CalMAN fix the bug if I want to check I will have to use HCFR but I have got to sort out some sort of pattern generator first. I guess the HCFR pattern generator uses the video output from your PC?
HCFR’s internal pattern works very well, but first you need to verify it against disc patterns.
ConnecTEDDD and AdamAttewell like this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-11-2019 at 05:18 PM.
post #1076 of 1082 Old 01-12-2019, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Adam,

Have you contact SpectraCAL and they have found that is really a bug which should be fixed in the future?
AdamAttewell likes this.

post #1077 of 1082 Old 01-12-2019, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi Adam,

Have you contact SpectraCAL and they have found that is really a bug which should be fixed in the future?

Yes I have contacted them via the support channel on their website seeing as they have closed the forums which is crazy.

Still I have heard nothing! That was on the 10th of January, I would of expected some sort of acknowledgement.
post #1078 of 1082 Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi Adam,

So after sending another message to support I got a reply.

Hi Adam,
Our technical advisor pointed out that the RAW XYZ meter mode is only intended to be used if you are creating your own Meter Profile with a spectroradiometer. The correct mode for your projector is Front Projector (UHP), which is the lamp type in your projector. Having an incorrect meter mode can drastically change the readings received by CalMAN.

I sent a message back explaining that RAW XYZ was only used to ensure parity between CalMAN & HCFR. I am yet to receive a reply back yet.

Could RAW XYZ have caused the erroneous results?

post #1079 of 1082 Old 01-16-2019, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Had another reply from Spectracal:

Hi Adam,
I was going over your case with an engineer. They pointed out that the gathered Y, y, and x data in CalMAN and HCFR are the same. The only deviation in the numbers exists in the DeltaE numbers each application is giving you. We have no way of knowing how the DeltaE is being calculated in HCFR, only that our calculation follows the DeltaE spec exactly.
It’s our recommendation that the projector is recalibrated using the UHP Lamp meter profile, and reassess if the green hue issue is still present.
post #1080 of 1082 Old 01-17-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys. I calibrated SDR a few days ago without issues.

But a little confused over HDR calibration with HCFR. I downloaded Mehanik HDR10 test patterns but noticed there aren't any for brightness and contrast. Do I set these with a conventional SDR test pattern but output the PJ to rec2020 ? And then go on from there setting the greyscale with Mehaniks patterns.

Before I jump down this rabbit hole. What are the correct references to set in HCFR. I see Adam posted a screenshot of what he's using.
Colour Space: Rec2020
SMPTE 2084 HDR
BT.2390
Master MaxL: 1000
Content MaxL: 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration