post #1 of 6 Old 06-11-2018, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Sony x940e Calibration Issues

Hey all,

So I am pretty handy with calibration at this point (using CalMAN and an iD3) but trying to calibrate my new x940e is giving me some headaches.

The biggest issue is I CANNOT get the Bias and Gains to work properly. Using a 2pt approach of 30/80 or 30/100 or even 10/100 doesn't work as the controls overlap (changing Bias affects Gain almost 1:1 and vica versa).

The other issue is the 10pt controls do not match up to 10 step patterns if local dimming is on. However, if I turn local dimming off to calibrate the results don't hold up once I turn LD back on for real world viewing.

Any input on this particular TV and the best approach for calibrating?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-11-2018, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Hey all,

So I am pretty handy with calibration at this point (using CalMAN and an iD3) but trying to calibrate my new x940e is giving me some headaches.

The biggest issue is I CANNOT get the Bias and Gains to work properly. Using a 2pt approach of 30/80 or 30/100 or even 10/100 doesn't work as the controls overlap (changing Bias affects Gain almost 1:1 and vica versa).

The other issue is the 10pt controls do not match up to 10 step patterns if local dimming is on. However, if I turn local dimming off to calibrate the results don't hold up once I turn LD back on for real world viewing.

Any input on this particular TV and the best approach for calibrating?

Thanks!
Sometimes a firmware update can cause buggy issues that a factory reset of the device may alleviate.

Double check the recommended precal settings. 2pt doesn't have to be perfect as it is only intended to close the gap for multipoint to finish the job. Try to only use reductions with 2pt if possible. Increments may cause issues, especially if you run out of one or more color with gain.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x940e/settings

Multipoint alignment accuracy may vary from unit to unit. If readings don't line up with adjustment values, get creative. I created a custom 100 point levels profile for Calman for this type of situation. Once the exact alignment targets are identified, create a new custom levels profile with the new points.

I recommend to leave local dimming on during calibration if you intend to have it on for viewing content. If you run into issues with low level readings while local dimming is on, then it might be beneficial to use APL patterns.

Make sure the correct meter profile for the display type is used. Try to calibrate in as dark of an environment as possible. Any ambient light may effect readings, including from calibration laptop/computer monitors.

Please post all of your data results so we can see if further recommendation is needed.

Last edited by skschatzman; 06-11-2018 at 11:59 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Sometimes a firmware update can cause buggy issues that a factory reset of the device may alleviate.

Double check the recommended precal settings. 2pt doesn't have to be perfect as it is only intended to close the gap for multipoint to finish the job. Try to only use reductions with 2pt if possible. Increments may cause issues, especially if you run out of one or more color with gain.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x940e/settings

Multipoint alignment accuracy may vary from unit to unit. If readings don't line up with adjustment values, get creative. I created a custom 100 point levels profile for Calman for this type of situation. Once the exact alignment targets are identified, create a new custom levels profile with the new points.

I recommend to leave local dimming on during calibration if you intend to have it on for viewing content. If you run into issues with low level readings while local dimming is on, then it might be beneficial to use APL patterns.

Make sure the correct meter profile for the display type is used. Try to calibrate in as dark of an environment as possible. Any ambient light may effect readings, including from calibration laptop/computer monitors.

Please post all of your data results so we can see if further recommendation is needed.

Thanks for the response!
I will be doing a factory reset and starting over later today.

I was using the Raw XYZ mode of the iD3 (which is what I have done for years past) but will try the correct profile. I believe the x940e is LCD Green Blue, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked: 1450
Quote:
I believe the x940e is LCD Green Blue, right?
I'm not sure. Ask in the official thread or a Sony rep.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Thanks for the response!
I will be doing a factory reset and starting over later today.

I was using the Raw XYZ mode of the iD3 (which is what I have done for years past) but will try the correct profile. I believe the x940e is LCD Green Blue, right?
Hi, the spectral correction for GB-LED is included inside the RG-Phosphor selection. There not a lot of info available about what type of VA panel your Sony is using but X-Rite for the creation of the spectral correction of RG Phosphor (GB-LED) table, they used the Dell Ultrasharp U2413 (for GB-LED) and AU Optronics B156HW01 Monitors. (here you can find info about which monitors used for the creation of each table)

The displays used for RG-Phosphor table are very old and very different from current same tech consumer displays.

The ideal solution is to use a spectro to create a meter correction table. If this is not possible, the only you can do is to calibrate 2-point grayscale with RAW XYZ and to another preset with RG-Phosphor table selected, at end to swap between these 2 picture presets while you will look a grayscale ramp pattern and see which one looks more neutral to your eyes. (its guessing method, the results can be variable, for that reason its better to use a spectro).

While i1Display PRO is field up-gradable, X-Rite hasn't released any addition from the ones the meter is coming, so it has 2011-2012 display's spectral data.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #6 of 6 Old 01-04-2019, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Better information on calibration.

Check out the new information on this page. http://sonyglobal.akamaized.net/is/c...ith.CalMAN.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration