• 1 Post By ConnecTEDDD

post #1 of 11 Old 10-23-2018, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 162
X-rite colormunki spectrometer

I just bought one of these refurbished units off of a seller on eBay. Says it has a one year warranty from X-rite (extended to 3 with my CC), and it includes a color checker chart to use with my camera and scanner. Seems like a pretty good deal at $315 when the chart is $69 alone.

I already have an i1display Pro colorimeter, but it is about 4 years old. It’s been air-conditioned it’s whole life and never dropped, so it should still be solid, but I wanted something I could check it against and create correction files with.

I considered the i1studio and i1 pro2, but new they are considerably more expensive and wasn’t sure the used ones would be a better value.

Any thoughts if that was a good move?

There’s one left if anyone wants/needs one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Rite-ColorMunki-Photo-Color-Management-Solution-CMUNPH-/112979837005?item=112979837005&ppid=PPX000608&cnac =US&rsta=en_US(en_US)&cust=36066103ES460661F&unpti d=f2901c9e-d6d3-11e8-a881-441ea1478e4c&cal=278036b22bcd3&calc=278036b22bcd3& calf=278036b22bcd3&unp_tpcid=email-receipt-auction-payment&page=main:email&pgrp=main:email&e=op&mchn= em&s=ci&mail=sys&pageci=ce46c493-f847-4461-aa48-ef079b9771c7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What's the difference between the i1Studio and the more expensive i1 pro spectrometers?
post #3 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post
I just bought one of these refurbished units off of a seller on eBay. Says it has a one year warranty from X-rite (extended to 3 with my CC), and it includes a color checker chart to use with my camera and scanner. Seems like a pretty good deal at $315 when the chart is $69 alone.
Hi, does it coming with any paper which will say that its refurbished unit? because to have valid warranty, you have to register to X-Rite site the instrument. X-Rite don't provide any re-certification capability for ColorMinki Family generally to any of their repairing centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosauce1 View Post
What's the difference between the i1Studio and the more expensive i1 pro spectrometers?
i1Studio is a ColorMunki Photo (spectrophotometer) not supported by all calibration software solutions.

ColorMunki Photo has been discontinued from the arrival of i1Studio (Oct. 2017).

i1Studio/ColorMunki's Photo spectral measurement range in the emission mode (measuring display/projector) is 400-700nm while i1PRO2 is 380-730nm. (1931 2° CIE Standard Colorimetric Observer Data are provided from 380nm to 780nm)

i1Studio/ ColorMunki Photo is not coming with any NIST certification of performance and X-Rite's Re-certification factory doesn't provide certification for this device.

i1PRO2 is coming with a NIST certification of performance and X-Rite's Re-certification factory can provide certification service to the instrument.

i1PRO2 is using glass optics, i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo use plastic, so i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo it's easier to drift over the time (natural aging, humidity, heat)

i1PRO2 has frequency scanning rate is 200Hz, i1Studio/ColorMunki's is 50Hz, so i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo it's slower.

The Inter-Instrument Agreement is 0.4 dE for the i1PRO2 while its 0.6 dE for the i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo.

1PRO2 & i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo...both are made in China.

X-Rite i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo are rated up to 1000 nits.

X-Rite i1PRO2 is rated up to 1200 nits. (X-Rite i1PRO1 is rated up to 300 nits.).

i1PRO2/ColorMunki Photo are supported from CalMAN Enthousiast and HCFR/DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS.

i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo are not supported by LightSpace/ChromaPure.

i1Studio is supported from HCFR/DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS.

i1PRO2 features a Built-in Wavelength Calibration Technology (Self-Check & Correction)

Built-in wavelength calibration technology allows for self-diagnosis of the position of the optical grating in respect to the sensor during white calibration, eliminating worry about your device’s measurement accuracy.

i1PRO2 has 128 sensors binned into 41 10nm increments. The mechanical alignment feature will make sure the 41 increments are accurately aligned with the 128 sensors.

Special Green Filer and LED Performs instrument self-check on every Calibration.

i1PRO2 has a reference spectrum of the (green) wavelength LED stored in its firmware, during the wavelength calibration the driver computes a wavelength offset in the sensor to wavelength interpolation tables to ensure that the measured spectrum of the green LED matches that of the firmware reference. Too large a shift and it will error out. Zero shift and nothing has moved in the hardware.

Instrument can automatically self-diagnose and correct for small shifts as well as identify re-calibration needs.

Damaged instruments can be identified for required repair.

So with i1PRO2 you have the capability to re-certificate it after some years, X-Rite has repairing centers with re-certification capabilities around the world.

For a lot info about i1PRO2 (and i1Display PRO), see there.
nosauce1 likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 12:52 PM

Thank you for the clarification. Why is it that people buy both the i1 Disply and the i1 Pro2? Shouldn't the i1 Pro2 suffice?
post #5 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, does it coming with any paper which will say that its refurbished unit? because to have valid warranty, you have to register to X-Rite site the instrument. X-Rite don't provide any re-certification capability for ColorMinki Family generally to any of their repairing centers.

i1Studio is a ColorMunki Photo (spectrophotometer) not supported by all calibration software solutions.

ColorMunki Photo has been discontinued from the arrival of i1Studio (Oct. 2017).

i1Studio/ColorMunki's Photo spectral measurement range in the emission mode (measuring display/projector) is 400-700nm while i1PRO2 is 380-730nm. (1931 2° CIE Standard Colorimetric Observer Data are provided from 380nm to 780nm)

i1Studio/ ColorMunki Photo is not coming with any NIST certification of performance and X-Rite's Re-certification factory doesn't provide certification for this device.

i1PRO2 is coming with a NIST certification of performance and X-Rite's Re-certification factory can provide certification service to the instrument.

i1PRO2 is using glass optics, i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo use plastic, so i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo it's easier to drift over the time (natural aging, humidity, heat)

i1PRO2 has frequency scanning rate is 200Hz, i1Studio/ColorMunki's is 50Hz, so i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo it's slower.

The Inter-Instrument Agreement is 0.4 dE for the i1PRO2 while its 0.6 dE for the i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo.

1PRO2 & i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo...both are made in China.

X-Rite i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo are rated up to 1000 nits.

X-Rite i1PRO2 is rated up to 1200 nits. (X-Rite i1PRO1 is rated up to 300 nits.).

i1PRO2/ColorMunki Photo are supported from CalMAN Enthousiast and HCFR/DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS.

i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo are not supported by LightSpace/ChromaPure.

i1Studio is supported from HCFR/DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS.

i1PRO2 features a Built-in Wavelength Calibration Technology (Self-Check & Correction)

Built-in wavelength calibration technology allows for self-diagnosis of the position of the optical grating in respect to the sensor during white calibration, eliminating worry about your device’s measurement accuracy.

i1PRO2 has 128 sensors binned into 41 10nm increments. The mechanical alignment feature will make sure the 41 increments are accurately aligned with the 128 sensors.

Special Green Filer and LED Performs instrument self-check on every Calibration.

i1PRO2 has a reference spectrum of the (green) wavelength LED stored in its firmware, during the wavelength calibration the driver computes a wavelength offset in the sensor to wavelength interpolation tables to ensure that the measured spectrum of the green LED matches that of the firmware reference. Too large a shift and it will error out. Zero shift and nothing has moved in the hardware.

Instrument can automatically self-diagnose and correct for small shifts as well as identify re-calibration needs.

Damaged instruments can be identified for required repair.

So with i1PRO2 you have the capability to re-certificate it after some years, X-Rite has repairing centers with re-certification capabilities around the world.

For a lot info about i1PRO2 (and i1Display PRO), see there.
I have the i1Studio. Is this the same thing as the ColorMunki photo?
Is HCFR better than DisplayCAL?
post #6 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the i1Studio. Is this the same thing as the ColorMunki photo?
From hardware side of view, yes.

Quote:
Is HCFR better than DisplayCAL?
HCFR can be used for manual cal, DisplayCAL for display profiling (ICC or 3D LUT). Each software can be used for different applications.
nosauce1 likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #7 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. Why is it that people buy both the i1 Disply and the i1 Pro2? Shouldn't the i1 Pro2 suffice?
Spectrophotometer's/Spectroradiometer's weaknesses

Spectrophotometers like i1PRO2 have poor light sensitivity and measure very slowly at low light levels and they are not so accurate also. The slow speed and reduced color accuracy of a spectrophotometer like i1PRO2 makes it inconvenient for performing multiple display calibration measurements or display characterization measurements (3D LUT) as stand-alone meter, but its the best choice for creating individual profile of each and every display for colorimeters; the spectrophotometer would be the 'reference' meter.

High-end spectroradiometers (5 nm, over $7K) can be used as a stand-alone meter because they are capable to measure accurately low luminance levels (more CCD sensors, lower signal-to-noise ratio) but they will require much more time for a single measurement so it can be used for normal display calibration using display internal calibration controls only, not for 3D LUT display characterization which will require thousands color point measurements which will include a lot of low luminance level patch readings which will extend a lot the total required measurement time.

A spectrophotometer/spectroradiometer is the best choice as a primary reference calibration instrument to create colorimeter profiles as a reference meter.

There a lot of info to read here.
nosauce1 likes this.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-29-2018, 03:13 PM

@ConnecTEDDD Thank you so much for answering all my questions! I have a much better background regarding calibration hardware and its purposes.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-31-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 4685 Post(s)
Liked: 3339
@ConnecTEDDD i1Studio is also supported in CalMan.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #10 of 11 Old 01-03-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
@ConnecTEDDD i1Studio is also supported in CalMan.
Its not listed to the meter support list of CalMAN: http://calman.spectracal.com/feature-matrix.html

But it can work if you install manually the older ColorMunki Photo drivers.

Do you have it and its been recognized as i1Studio?

post #11 of 11 Old 01-03-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 4685 Post(s)
Liked: 3339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Its not listed to the meter support list of CalMAN: http://calman.spectracal.com/feature-matrix.html

But it can work if you install manually the older ColorMunki Photo drivers.

Do you have it and its been recognized as i1Studio?
When it's connected it says Colormunki Spectro enhanced. I didn't load any drivers.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration