• 1 Post By brandon_k_w
  • 1 Post By ConnecTEDDD

post #1 of 13 Old 12-31-2018, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What is the best way to calibrate an HTPC + projector with the X-Rite i1 Display Pro?

I'm way over my head. I attempted to calibrate my projector (as can be seen in my sig, it's a Chinese XGIMI Lune on a PET Crystal screen) using D65 as my white point, and Gamma set on 2.20 as seen in this video (my version of the i1Profiler is a newer build):

This HTPC is used primarily for movies (but also for web browsing), and the resulting .icm seems extremely warm. I attempted to use a D75 white point for a cooler picture, but the resulting image still seems too warm, and perhaps relatively...greenish? maybe? I feel like I'm maybe doing something wrong here, and any help would be most appreciated. I'm a complete novice at calibration (only previous experience was using the Disney WOW disk, and fumbling my way through the AVS HD 709 tools). I was hoping that getting the X-Rite would be a decent shortcut as an alternative to hiring a professional calibrator (which is likely impossible in my neck of the woods, and he'd have to fumble through Chinese menus).

If anyone can point me to a guide, or the correct method of calibration in something like "Explain it to me like I'm 5" steps, it's be MUCH appreciated.

Source: Windows 10 Pro, i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1070
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR676 in a 5.1.2 audio configuration
Video Output: XGIMI Lune (XJ01V), XYScreen Pet Crystal screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-01-2019, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just did this my first time a couple days ago on my HTPC and projector with great before/after results, I set white point to D65 on the projector and also turned off gamma. For the software I set white point to Native and gamma to 2.2. Calibrate at nighttime in a dark room, colorimeter placed a distance of 1.5 times the height of the screen, lowered and angled upwards so it sees the center of the screen and any shadows cast from the colorimeter should be near the bottom of the screen.

It gave me a result of perfect greyscale vs. the bluish tint I was having. Skin color has more depth and three dimensionality.
adrift likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply brandon! Unfortunately this projector has limited settings (brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpness, noise reduction, and R/G/B ), so I can't actually set the white point or gamma on the projector itself, but at least you've given me a baseline to follow that I'll mess around with a bit.

Edit: Just to clarify, when you say that the colorimeter should be placed a distance of 1.5 times the height of the screen, do you mean that if the screen is, say, 50 inches tall, the colorimeter should be placed some 75 inches back from it?

Last edited by adrift; 01-01-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-01-2019, 01:00 PM

Yes, 75 inches or just the closest you can get to that since the colorimeter cable isn't very long, you dont want to place it directly up to the projector screen as you would an Lcd screen. Since you dont have all the settings on your projector, the software will take care of that by setting the temp and gamma.
adrift likes this.

Last edited by brandon_k_w; 01-01-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-01-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post
Yes, 75 inches or just the closest you can get to that since the colorimeter cable isn't very long, you dont want to place it directly up to the projector screen as you would an Lcd screen. Since you dont have all the settings on your projector, the software will take care of that by setting the temp and gamma.

Ok, got it. I actually have a usb extender, so moving it further out isn't that big of a deal, but I noticed when I did the software complained that the colorimeter was too far out. Moving it in to about the distance you suggested seemed to work. The new color calibration using Native looks a lot more natural. I probably still need to do some tweaking, but this looks better already. By the way, did you run any contrast/brightness calibration videos before running the test? I used the AVS HD 709 videos, that you can get here on the forum, to key in basic brightness and contrast before I ran the X-Rite software, and I'm wondering if that was a good idea to do.

post #6 of 13 Old 01-01-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
Ok, got it. I actually have a usb extender, so moving it further out isn't that big of a deal, but I noticed when I did the software complained that the colorimeter was too far out. Moving it in to about the distance you suggested seemed to work. The new color calibration using Native looks a lot more natural. I probably still need to do some tweaking, but this looks better already. By the way, did you run any contrast/brightness calibration videos before running the test? I used the AVS HD 709 videos, that you can get here on the forum, to key in basic brightness and contrast before I ran the X-Rite software, and I'm wondering if that was a good idea to do.
I left my brightness/contrast at defaults on the projector. I'm still trying to figure out if I need to adjust those two things on the projector before running the software, or if the software already makes the brightness/contrast corrections on its own.
adrift likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-02-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply brandon! Unfortunately this projector has limited settings (brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpness, noise reduction, and R/G/B ), so I can't actually set the white point or gamma on the projector itself
Chances are those R/G/B controls are used for the white point, and not for the colours.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-02-2019, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Chances are those R/G/B controls are used for the white point, and not for the colours.
I see. So, how would I go about setting the R/G/B controls in order to arrive at a D65 white point?

post #9 of 13 Old 01-02-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
I see. So, how would I go about setting the R/G/B controls in order to arrive at a D65 white point?
The software should prompt you to increase or decrease each colour, if you specify D65 and manual control at the beginning of the calibration steps.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-02-2019, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The software should prompt you to increase or decrease each colour, if you specify D65 and manual control at the beginning of the calibration steps.

If I select "Projector" as the profiling device, I don't receive a manual control option. I can select "Display", and then on the Display Settings it gives me an option from a drop-down to select "Projector", but is this the same as selecting "Projector" from the get-go? When I get to the Measurement section it informs me I need to hang the colorimeter from the display as though I was using a standard monitor, but it does still give me directions to manually configure the white point from there. I guess I'll try it out and see how it looks...

post #11 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 3275
About calibration targets: REC.709, Gamma 2.4, peak output 48-60nits.

About meter placement: The ideal meter placement is by facing the projector screen, when the meter is matching the same angle you have from your sitting position eye's height towards to the center of the screen, for more details see at the mid-end of that post: http://01900888.com/forum/139-d...l#post57368096

About projector calibration methodology, use some patterns for pre-calibration (contrast/brightness/sharpness/color clipping) which you will playback them from inside the movie playback software you are using. If projector have RGB balance controls of 1p, perform RGB balance calibration using projector controls of 100% White while you will look your peak output also.

After that use i1Profile to fix the remaining RGB/gamma errors, which will calibrate the output of the Video card (VCGT).
adrift likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #12 of 13 Old 01-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
About calibration targets: REC.709, Gamma 2.4, peak output 48-60nits.

Do you recommend a different calibration target for daytime use for projectors, maybe a 1.8 or 2.0 gamma? I use an ambient light rejecting screen but I would also like to have a separate calibration for daytime.

Last edited by brandon_k_w; 01-08-2019 at 10:51 AM.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-08-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post
Do you recommend a different calibration target for daytime use for projectors, maybe a 1.8 or 2.0 gamma? I use an ambient light rejecting screen but I would also like to have a separate calibration for daytime.
You can use 2.2 gamma with higher peak output.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration