Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-31-2018, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jeffreynmandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Jvc x790r projector. Will there be a big diff. in a professional cal. vs jvc autocal?

I just bought a pre owned x790r projector with around 350 hours on the bulb. I would like to get the best picture that I can out of it. I know a Isf certified calibrator is ideal, but for those on a budget is there a big difference in owning a spyder5 pro and using jvc autocal? I haven't tried it yet or even downloaded it. I'm just wondering before I invest in the meter.

My thinking also was, if I own the meter, I will be able to readjust it as the bulb dims over time?


Any thoughts on it?
jeffreynmandy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 12-31-2018, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,266
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2675 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreynmandy View Post
I just bought a pre owned x790r projector with around 350 hours on the bulb. I would like to get the best picture that I can out of it. I know a Isf certified calibrator is ideal, but for those on a budget is there a big difference in owning a spyder5 pro and using jvc autocal? I haven't tried it yet or even downloaded it. I'm just wondering before I invest in the meter.

My thinking also was, if I own the meter, I will be able to readjust it as the bulb dims over time?


Any thoughts on it?
If you don't want to do a full calibration you could just set black and white levels using a pattern then see how you like it. You'd only run autocal after 400 or so hours hits your bulb to fix any bulb variance and gamma droop. Then you could rerun the auto cal every 500 hours or so.

If you do a professional calibration, you cant use autocal as that erases the changes the calibrator made.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 12-31-2018, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jeffreynmandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
If you don't want to do a full calibration you could just set black and white levels using a pattern then see how you like it. You'd only run autocal after 400 or so hours hits your bulb to fix any bulb variance and gamma droop. Then you could rerun the auto cal every 500 hours or so.

If you do a professional calibration, you cant use autocal as that erases the changes the calibrator made.

Thank you for your help. I'd like to go with a professional calibration but I'm not sure if they are all equal. Will most all the Isf certified calibrators get close to the same results? I've read never to use Best Buy for it, but from what I can tell they are Isf certified. I'd like to get on the list for chadB, but it's pretty steep at $450.

Ive been keeping my budget amazingly low for the type of equipment I'm using. The projector was the only big splurge at $2500. That's why I don't really want to drop around half a grand on a calibration. If Best Buy can do 80-90% as good as chadB that would be great. They are much lower and offer wiggle room some times. But I'm lost as far as knowing how it differs from person to person.
jeffreynmandy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 12-31-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,266
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2675 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreynmandy View Post
Thank you for your help. I'd like to go with a professional calibration but I'm not sure if they are all equal. Will most all the Isf certified calibrators get close to the same results? I've read never to use Best Buy for it, but from what I can tell they are Isf certified. I'd like to get on the list for chadB, but it's pretty steep at $450.

Ive been keeping my budget amazingly low for the type of equipment I'm using. The projector was the only big splurge at $2500. That's why I don't really want to drop around half a grand on a calibration. If Best Buy can do 80-90% as good as chadB that would be great. They are much lower and offer wiggle room some times. But I'm lost as far as knowing how it differs from person to person.
I'm sure there are plenty of good calibrators, but I would say that best buy is not one of them. My opinion is that rather than go with best buy you may as well go with just the jvc autocal. But I'm sure there are qualified calibrators in your area. Perhaps you might be interested to read the calibration thread for your projector and learn to do it yourself. There are certainly good guides and lots of folks are doing it themselves.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 12-31-2018, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bradford, OH
Posts: 2,686
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Depending on your screen and your particular Spyder5, the white balance dE will be anywhere from around 2-9 dE2000 off at 100% white when read off the screen with reference meters after doing the autocal. Color gamut measurements will be off less, usually a maximum of around 3 dE2000. This is based off my experience sampling maybe 6-10 Spyder5s and doing autocals on hundreds of systems.

The Spyder5s I've used with autocal have a better match to gray ALR screens than matte white screens; in other words, the white dE will be closer to 3-4 with a gray screen or maybe 6-8 with a neutral matte white screen, and they tend to make it warmer than D65.

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS400, LG 65C7P, JVC RS420, JVC RS540
Copied settings measured, Review index
Chad B is online now  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-01-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 5,452
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
The Spyder5s I've used with autocal have a better match to gray ALR screens than matte white screens; in other words, the white dE will be closer to 3-4 with a gray screen or maybe 6-8 with a neutral matte white screen, and they tend to make it warmer than D65.
Hi Chad,

Can you please elaborate on this?

I too have noticed that autocal using the Spyder5 led to an overly warm picture; however, the JVC autocal is performed facing the projector lens, so it does not directly correct nor contribute to any grey scale errors from the screen. If the screen is neutral, the delta-E of the overall system would be limited by the accuracy of the Spyder5 but shouldn’t be any worse with matte white than with grey ALR screens.

EDIT: ALR screens tend to have a bluish tint, so maybe that partially offsets the Spyder5 autocal error - a case of “two wrongs make a right”.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-01-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-07-2019, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 7,400
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreynmandy View Post
I just bought a pre owned x790r projector with around 350 hours on the bulb. I would like to get the best picture that I can out of it. I know a Isf certified calibrator is ideal, but for those on a budget is there a big difference in owning a spyder5 pro and using jvc autocal? I haven't tried it yet or even downloaded it. I'm just wondering before I invest in the meter.

My thinking also was, if I own the meter, I will be able to readjust it as the bulb dims over time?

Any thoughts on it?
Hi, projectors are drifting sooner (compared to displays) after some working hours, so they will require periodically to re-calibrate them. (Laser-based are more stable). Spyder also is not such good colorimeter to invest as calibration measurement instrument.

Spyder 5 is not a good option, even brand new meters can be totally out of spec, see there why: http://01900888.com/forum/139-di...l#post56269238

It's better idea to get the X-Rite i1Display PRO colorimeter; not supported by JVC software but you can use it with HCFR or LightSpace DPS (both free calibration software solutions) to perform a calibration using normal OSD menu controls.

X-Rite i1Display PRO colorimeter, which is much faster, better low light measurement and shielded filter design, so this prevent drifting over the time, while Spyder has exposed filters where the degradation is faster. There a lot of info to read about i1Display PRO here.

You can see some other details here: What gear is 'Good enough' for a Calibration beginner?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 01-07-2019 at 01:26 AM.
ConnecTEDDD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off