Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-03-2019, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 68
How do I measure peak nits of my display?

Hi all,

I would like to know how to go about measuring the peak nits of my display (which is a projector).

What hardware (and/or software) do I need?

My display is already calibrated, just want to understand how my nits change with iris and power settings.

Thanks!

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, 138" 2.35:1 ST130
Panasonic DMP-UB820 & Kodi/madVR
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-03-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post
Hi all,

I would like to know how to go about measuring the peak nits of my display (which is a projector).

My display is already calibrated, just want to understand how my nits change with iris and power settings.

Thanks!
See link in my signature
post #3 of 8 Old 01-03-2019, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
See link in my signature
OK, that covers the software, what about hardware - e.g. meter? Any suggestions?

Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-03-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3727 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
OK, that covers the software, what about hardware - e.g. meter? Any suggestions?
The x-rite i1Display Pro would be a good choice.

As a alternative, you can just buy a light meter (lux meter) and calculate the nits, if you know your screen gain:
http://01900888.com/forum/24-di...l#post57361630

No software required in that case.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-03-2019, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The x-rite i1Display Pro would be a good choice.

As a alternative, you can just buy a light meter (lux meter) and calculate the nits, if you know your screen gain:
http://01900888.com/forum/24-di...l#post57361630

No software required in that case.
Cool - already have a light meter but didn't think you could convert from foot-lamberts to nits.

Thx.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-04-2019, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi Ian, a Light meter is useful only if you want to measure a contrast ratio of a projector, if you have a very old colorimeter which can't read so low light levels (Chroma 5/ i1Display2 etc). But using the i1Display PRO colorimeter, you get lower readings from a lightmeter (of ~$200).

It's better idea to get a colorimeter (X-Rite i1Display PRO), to be able to monitor also your peak output changes and color temp shifting over the time (check black levels also) and additionally to be able to perform a calibration also (RGB Balance of Grayscale, Gamma, Color Gamut etc.).

You can see some other details here: What gear is 'Good enough' for a Calibration beginner?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi Ian, a Light meter is useful only if you want to measure a contrast ratio of a projector, if you have a very old colorimeter which can't read so low light levels (Chroma 5/ i1Display2 etc). But using the i1Display PRO colorimeter, you get lower readings from a lightmeter (of ~$200).

It's better idea to get a colorimeter (X-Rite i1Display PRO), to be able to monitor also your peak output changes and color temp shifting over the time (check black levels also) and additionally to be able to perform a calibration also (RGB Balance of Grayscale, Gamma, Color Gamut etc.).

You can see some other details here: What gear is 'Good enough' for a Calibration beginner?
I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying that I cannot use a light meter (e.g. ca813) to measure peak nits?

post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying that I cannot use a light meter (e.g. ca813) to measure peak nits?
AEMC CA813 is Illuminance Meter, it will reporting nits (or fL. foot-lamberts), its reporting lux or foot-candles (Fc).

To measure nits you need a meter which can take luminance readings, like a colorimer or a spectrophotometer/spectroradiometer.

You can take Illuminance readings with a colorimeter/spectro's also, when you will attach their diffuser.

When you will aim towards to projector lens directly, you take illuminance reading (using diffuser), when you aim directly to your projector screen you take luminance readings (you are not using diffuser).

When you calibrate, you will measure aiming your projector screen to fix your RGB balance/gamma/color gamut while you will set your peak output also. For SDR you need REC.709 colorspace, 2.4 gamma and 14-16fl. (48-60nits).

You can't do any of these with that light-meter.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration