Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-05-2019, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thinking of getting my Sony KD-36XS955 Calibrated (CRT)

I was getting set to buy an LG C8 OLED to replace my TV, when I became aware of problems that were reported in Forbes. Then reading between the lines in forums and reddit, there are other issues that I don't even have to think about with my TV.

So I'm wondering if a professional calibration will extend the useful life in terms of color accuracy, performance and enjoyment, and maybe a pro can give me an honest evaluation of my TV and if it is worth calibrating/keeping. I have the calibration dvd, but I think a pro can get more out of the TV than the adjustments suggested in the dvd.

The only issue I have is some of the ESPN ticker line is not shown, so I see the top half of scrolling news.

My setup is video via my XBOX S, a Chromecast, and OTA. The XBOX and Chromecast connect to my Denon receiver via HDMI then from there to my TV. I use the Hulu, Netflix and YouTube TV apps from the XBOX. I use the Chromecast for streaming video or audio from a cell phone or PC.

The XBOX and Denon are 4K capable, but I don't feel I'm missing out and I like the picture I get especially with high speed sports and action.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-05-2019, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by xml2k View Post
I was getting set to buy an LG C8 OLED to replace my TV, when I became aware of problems that were reported in Forbes. Then reading between the lines in forums and reddit, there are other issues that I don't even have to think about with my TV.

So I'm wondering if a professional calibration will extend the useful life in terms of color accuracy, performance and enjoyment, and maybe a pro can give me an honest evaluation of my TV and if it is worth calibrating/keeping. I have the calibration dvd, but I think a pro can get more out of the TV than the adjustments suggested in the dvd.

The only issue I have is some of the ESPN ticker line is not shown, so I see the top half of scrolling news.

My setup is video via my XBOX S, a Chromecast, and OTA. The XBOX and Chromecast connect to my Denon receiver via HDMI then from there to my TV. I use the Hulu, Netflix and YouTube TV apps from the XBOX. I use the Chromecast for streaming video or audio from a cell phone or PC.

The XBOX and Denon are 4K capable, but I don't feel I'm missing out and I like the picture I get especially with high speed sports and action.

Cheers
Hi, see there: http://01900888.com/forum/139-d...l#post55567396

Because someone has been certified by a private company as calibration and got some calibration gear, doesn't mean that it's really know what its doing, there specific ''PRO'' which while are famous can offer great calibration services and the picture to measure in dE charts but look great with real content also.

Because OLED's require some kind of 'calibration art' to handle them, there a lot of times disappointed customers have contact me to ask what tools to recommend them to start learning the DIY calibration.

There times where a firmware update can change stuff internally to the TV (it has happen at the past, color temp modes to change their internal values) so this can undo your calibration picture.

You can make the C8 to perform well, they are stable displays for SDR content, but its up to you and your pocket what to do.

To start learning how to calibrate it will require from your to spend some hours testing/practicing/reading etc, while hiring a pro you will just sit and watch him calibrate so you will have more time to watch your movies.

PRO will use higher grade instruments from the consumer ones you can buy. If you want to perform it DIY, you can start by getting a decent colorimeter (X-Rite i1Display PRO) and hire a pro to create a meter correction table for your colorimeter (to improve your colorimeter color accuracy readings, see there for more details), so later you can perform your calibration and periodically check after firmware updates that all are fine or re-adjust when you will see that panel has drift after some hundred working hours.

Other people who don't have enough free time, they arrange periodically visits of PROs, to verify that all are fine.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 01-05-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration