• 2 Post By dlj11
  • 1 Post By gr8sound

post #1 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG OLED C8, No deep blacks after ISF calibration

Hi! I’m completely new to this forum so I apologize if I have put this thread in the wrong place.
So I bought a LG C8 and opted to get it professionally calibrated (ISF-certified calibration) and when I received the TV I noticed that black bars etc in Netflix were not black, but gray.
I first tried to change all settings to see what was causing it and could isolate the problem to the 2-point white balance calibration, where the calibrator had set the low point to 15,12,14 (RGB) and the high point to 0,0,0. If I lower the low point to 0,0,0, I get deep blacks in black bars etc again, but then my colours are wrong.

Is there any way to keep my accurate colours but regain deep blacks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnyHedgehog View Post
Hi! I’m completely new to this forum so I apologize if I have put this thread in the wrong place.
So I bought a LG C8 and opted to get it professionally calibrated (ISF-certified calibration) and when I received the TV I noticed that black bars etc in Netflix were not black, but gray.
I first tried to change all settings to see what was causing it and could isolate the problem to the 2-point white balance calibration, where the calibrator had set the low point to 15,12,14 (RGB) and the high point to 0,0,0. If I lower the low point to 0,0,0, I get deep blacks in black bars etc again, but then my colours are wrong.

Is there any way to keep my accurate colours but regain deep blacks?
The mistake was to use 2p low, on the LG it can raise black. Only a new 20p calibration without 2p low can fix it.

Panasonic OLED55FZW 804
i1 Display Pro OEM 2018 profiled by Jeti 1501
i1 Pro 2, DVDo AVLab TPG, HD Fury Integral
Oppo UDP203
post #3 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller02 View Post
The mistake was to use 2p low, on the LG it can raise black. Only a new 20p calibration without 2p low can fix it.
That's quite sad to hear, shouldn't an ISF-certified calibrator know this? I paid the equivalent amount of approx 110 USD for this calibration. Is it possible to somehow calculate an approximate 20p calibration given the 2p calibration? and then try to fix it myself?

Or maybe if it's possible to lower the 2p low to 0,0,0 and then do something with 2p high to get the same accurate colours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller02 View Post
That's quite sad to hear, shouldn't an ISF-certified calibrator know this? I paid the equivalent amount of approx 110 USD for this calibration. Is it possible to somehow calculate an approximate 20p calibration given the 2p calibration? and then try to fix it myself?

Or maybe if it's possible to lower the 2p low to 0,0,0 and then do something with 2p high to get the same accurate colours?
The adjustments are also way too high.
A good calibrator should know it and test it after calibration
Chad B likes this.

Panasonic OLED55FZW 804
i1 Display Pro OEM 2018 profiled by Jeti 1501
i1 Pro 2, DVDo AVLab TPG, HD Fury Integral
Oppo UDP203
post #5 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Was the calibration done at your home or in the shop? This "calibrator" has no idea how to calibrate displays...
110USD is not really much, so I assume the "calibration" was done in the shop by a guy who follows some instruction sheets and has no idea what calibration is about...
Chad B likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-06-2019, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj11 View Post
Was the calibration done at your home or in the shop? This "calibrator" has no idea how to calibrate displays...
110USD is not really much, so I assume the "calibration" was done in the shop by a guy who follows some instruction sheets and has no idea what calibration is about...
The calibration was done in the shop by an ISF-certified calibrator, so I at least thought he knew what he was doing.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 01:25 AM

Thought so... They dont really know what theyre doing so I guess:
1. They dont have that much time for this, I guess not more than 1.5 hours
2. I bet the displays dont even warm up before calibration
3. I dont know how the room looks like where they calibrate them
4. They calibrate every display with the same step by step workflow, this cannot be correct as every display needs its own calibration technique (especially OLEDs)
5. The display should have at least 100hrs on its counter, cannot imagine that this is the case with every display theyre calibrating

I dont blame anyone, but for 110$ you cannot expect a really professional calibration.

Get a refund and let a pro do his magic on your OLED in your home, you paid a lot of money for it
Chad B and dutchflea like this.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all your answers!
How much more expensive would it be to buy equipment and do it myself?
I'm not going to buy high-end stuff, but a basic colorimeter and software. After this experience I feel like if I want it done correctly, I'll have to do it myself.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 11:10 PM

Cheapest way:

HCFR + i1Display Pro (EODIS3) + AVS709 pattern disk. But you will see that these OLEDs need special treatment to calibrate them, so prepare for some setbacks.
And you have to do A LOT OF READING to understand these displays and their behaviour, search for LG OLED 2018 calibration thread. That is the cheapest way, but you will get into some "troubles" if you are completely new in calibration (alternative whitepoint, you have no spectro, ASBL, ABL, CMS not working properly, menues interact with pattern and so on...). If you want a new hobby - buy that meter and do it, but prepare for a looooong learning curve.

If you want it done perfectly, just hire one of the high respected calibrators here on the forum. Chad B, D-Nice coming first to mind... they travel around so you have to contact them, maybe youre lucky and they come to your area. Believe me, they would do it perfectly
post #10 of 11 Old 01-08-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 3275
Quote:
I'm not going to buy high-end stuff, but a basic colorimeter and software. After this experience I feel like if I want it done correctly, I'll have to do it myself.
Hi, if you want to start the journey, you can start with a X-Rite i1Display PRO colorimeter, HCFR or LightSpace DPS (both free calibration software solutions) and SDR and HDR10 patterns.

Here are some quick steps you can perform: http://01900888.com/forum/139-d...l#post57364806

See also there for useful links generally for calibration: http://01900888.com/forum/139-d...l#post55567396

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #11 of 11 Old 01-08-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
For an initial CMS calibration of my brand new 65C8, I used Spears & Munsil Benchmark HD Blu-ray disk in Technicolor PM and it looks pretty good. Also purchased Tedd's Disk for validation. These are inexpensive solutions to give you a decent CMS SDR calibration. My video chain further improves the video (Pioneer Elite AVR>>Darbee>>iSan Mini>>LG). Overall, I'm very pleased with the result.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration