Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By barrelbelly
  • 1 Post By Grimbor
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-10-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Gaming Monitor advice.

So I recently setup a new gaming PC for myself. i7 9700k, RTX 2070.

Now I need to upgrade my monitors.

I am trying to decide between going 1440p or 4k.

I have rather bad eyesight.

I can sit 2-3ft from display.

Trying to stick under $400 dollars /ea. So Gsync is out of the question...thou I really dont think I would care.

I am thinking to stick with a good 27 1440p with high refresh rate over a larger (32in 4k).

Our PC gaming room is pretty well light controlled but I do like my blacks to be black. Off angle viewing not so much a concern since I sit straight on.

I have been looking at Dell S2719DGF

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-27-Inch-...FSM3VJ1NM5YP00

Also seen some from brands like Pixio but not sure about those.
RafaelSmith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 01-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 481
4k would definitely be a waste if you cant benefit from the smaller pixels. Honestly 1080p might be the best option for you, and it would save you money.

I have yet to personally experience any 4k source or display, so i cant say much about it. But, im a huge proponent of the super wide screens. They have 1080p versions of those.
Yrd is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
4k would definitely be a waste if you cant benefit from the smaller pixels. Honestly 1080p might be the best option for you, and it would save you money.

I have yet to personally experience any 4k source or display, so i cant say much about it. But, im a huge proponent of the super wide screens. They have 1080p versions of those.
Thanks...I might consider that. Thou, I know I do not want curved. Seems most of the good high refresh rate ultrawides are curved.
RafaelSmith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 01-11-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 488
I went through the same process in 2017 & 2018. I settled on the Acer 27" XFOH. Because it had zero frame (borderless), 1ms, Freesync, and 144hz refresh. It can scale to 1440p with my AMD RX580 card. SO I'm pretty sure the 2070 will do the trick as well. But I keep it locked at 1080p. I get ultra frames, and ultra smooth with enhanced sync (a Radeon Adrenalin 2019 setting) working alongside freesync. Frankly, I see zero difference with my setup using AMD's Virtual Super Resolution setting and 4K at 27".


I tested and demoed several kind of monitor sizes at home before finally settling on 27"-1080P. The 39"-43" 4ks were simply too big, slow and unenjoyable to my taste for a decent gaming PC. 34" was wonderful without the curve. But at the time...a great 1080p-1440p version was way too costly IMO. They may be better priced right now. But you'll notice the benefits of higher 144hz refresh rates of the 1080p models than any other feature IMO. You can get 120 HZ at 1440p on them (which is just as awesome). But the 4Ks only got 60Hz max when I was in the market. I found high refresh rates to be very noticeable if I didn't have it. But just part of the comfortable & flawless high end gaming experience when I engaged it. So in conclusion, I settled on the Acer 27" for my gaming rig. And an LG 43" model 6300U 4k UHDTV (in the same Media room) for console gaming with the XBox1X and Ninty Switch. I do have a high speed HDMI cable running from my RX580 to the LG UHDTV. But I never use it for PC gaming. 16+ms is just too much lag for my PC tastes. And 60hz or less refresh rates just don't cut it for me (except with console).
DaverJ likes this.
barrelbelly is online now  
post #5 of 18 Old 01-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 545
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I went through the same process in 2017 & 2018. I settled on the Acer 27" XFOH. Because it had zero frame (borderless), 1ms, Freesync, and 144hz refresh. It can scale to 1440p with my AMD RX580 card. SO I'm pretty sure the 2070 will do the trick as well. But I keep it locked at 1080p. I get ultra frames, and ultra smooth with enhanced sync (a Radeon Adrenalin 2019 setting) working alongside freesync. Frankly, I see zero difference with my setup using AMD's Virtual Super Resolution setting and 4K at 27".


I tested and demoed several kind of monitor sizes at home before finally settling on 27"-1080P. The 39"-43" 4ks were simply too big, slow and unenjoyable to my taste for a decent gaming PC. 34" was wonderful without the curve. But at the time...a great 1080p-1440p version was way too costly IMO. They may be better priced right now. But you'll notice the benefits of higher 144hz refresh rates of the 1080p models than any other feature IMO. You can get 120 HZ at 1440p on them (which is just as awesome). But the 4Ks only got 60Hz max when I was in the market. I found high refresh rates to be very noticeable if I didn't have it. But just part of the comfortable & flawless high end gaming experience when I engaged it. So in conclusion, I settled on the Acer 27" for my gaming rig. And an LG 43" model 6300U 4k UHDTV (in the same Media room) for console gaming with the XBox1X and Ninty Switch. I do have a high speed HDMI cable running from my RX580 to the LG UHDTV. But I never use it for PC gaming. 16+ms is just too much lag for my PC tastes. And 60hz or less refresh rates just don't cut it for me (except with console).
Response time vs input lag. 2 different numbers between your monitor and your tv.


http://levelskip.com/consoles/Respo...g-Refresh-Rate
Friendlys is online now  
post #6 of 18 Old 01-11-2019, 06:26 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 481
I have never seen a 34" without a curve. What is the problem with the curve in that type of screen?
Yrd is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 01-11-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I have never seen a 34" without a curve. What is the problem with the curve in that type of screen?
Here are a few that I wish were priced like this when I was shopping for one. I really don't find anything really objectionable with the curve. Especially at 34". I just tend to like the flat screen from 2-3 feet away. I personally don't like being wrapped peripherally into a screen or game. I prefer peripheral/side vision to equal "real world" when gaming. And I found 27"-34" provided the optimum setup to reveal it for me. In the giant 43" and above screens...curve was fine (and probably necessary). They were just too big for everyday PC usage for me.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM60-P-3...rawide+monitor

http://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM69G-B-...rawide+monitor

http://www.amazon.com/LG-34WK650-W-...rawide+monitor

Last edited by barrelbelly; 01-12-2019 at 05:12 PM.
barrelbelly is online now  
post #8 of 18 Old 01-15-2019, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 609
I have had to use curved displays at work and just don't care for it. Maybe something to do with having one bad eye...but I found myself constantly "distracted" by the curved edge of my bad side.

Based on what I have researched so far....since I game in a dark room...and am not some twitch pro gamer....I think a good VA panel would be best for me...preferably high refresh rate....but don't see too many of those in 27-28in.
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 01-15-2019, 10:50 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 481
I cant speak for whatever your specific ailment is, but the extra wide monitor seems to benefit from it. I dont notice it on mine. Of course ive also never seen the flat version equivalent. Curve in a smaller 27" I feel those are pointless and probably way more evident.
Yrd is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I cant speak for whatever your specific ailment is, but the extra wide monitor seems to benefit from it. I dont notice it on mine. Of course ive also never seen the flat version equivalent. Curve in a smaller 27" I feel those are pointless and probably way more evident.

The curved monitors I tried were 34in x1080p. Of course this was work...so was not gaming....just looking at documents, spreadsheets, computer code, etc.

Do you find the ultrawides bother you when having to view stuff that does not support the wider ratio? Black bars on the sides or does it stretch? either I think would bother me...but especially being stretched.
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 01-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 481
In terms of games, its disappointing but it doesnt bother me. If its not going to work it would have to be on a different size monitor anyway.

Sometimes when i use a video player like vlc, I'll maximize and it doesnt do it properly. That bothers me, when the image is distorted in some way.
Yrd is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 01-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Member
 
Striper Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
So I recently setup a new gaming PC for myself. i7 9700k, RTX 2070.

Now I need to upgrade my monitors.

I am trying to decide between going 1440p or 4k.

I have rather bad eyesight.

I can sit 2-3ft from display.

Trying to stick under $400 dollars /ea. So Gsync is out of the question...thou I really dont think I would care.

I am thinking to stick with a good 27 1440p with high refresh rate over a larger (32in 4k).

Our PC gaming room is pretty well light controlled but I do like my blacks to be black. Off angle viewing not so much a concern since I sit straight on.

I have been looking at Dell S2719DGF

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-27-Inch-...FSM3VJ1NM5YP00

Also seen some from brands like Pixio but not sure about those.
Sorry, but I have to ask, why a 2070? you could pick 1070 or 1080 cheap and get a screaming 27" 144mhz that will have frame rates above 100 for most games at 1440, even more at 1080.

Living Room: Samsung 65" KS8000; Oppo 203; NAD 758V3; Elac Unifi C5 Center; Elac Unifi F5 Front Left/Right; Elac B5's Rear Left/Right; SVS PB2000
Basement : Sony HW45ES; Denon x4300; SVS Ultra L/C/R; Prime Surrounds; Prime Elevation; Infinity in-Ceiling (7.1.4) Dual PSA V1500
Striper Mark is online now  
post #13 of 18 Old 01-16-2019, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper Mark View Post
Sorry, but I have to ask, why a 2070? you could pick 1070 or 1080 cheap and get a screaming 27" 144mhz that will have frame rates above 100 for most games at 1440, even more at 1080.
Good deal...work related
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 01-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Member
 
Striper Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Good deal...work related
Makes sense then!

Living Room: Samsung 65" KS8000; Oppo 203; NAD 758V3; Elac Unifi C5 Center; Elac Unifi F5 Front Left/Right; Elac B5's Rear Left/Right; SVS PB2000
Basement : Sony HW45ES; Denon x4300; SVS Ultra L/C/R; Prime Surrounds; Prime Elevation; Infinity in-Ceiling (7.1.4) Dual PSA V1500
Striper Mark is online now  
post #15 of 18 Old 01-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Keep in mind, Gsync is slightly superior to Freesync, but both are very nice to have, especially if you go 4K. On a 1440p screen, a 2070 will make Gsync and Freesync moot but that will not be true forever as newer software gets released. Also, this generation as well as last gen Nvidia cards have Freesync support which works fine on many monitors Nvidia won't officially support. Your GTX 2070 card should support most Freesync screens with a few listed by Nvidia able to auto-set Freesynch through your graphics driver. Manuel setup is easy though, a few clicks in the Nvidia control panel.

My suggestion for a very cheap solution is look at something like the HP Omen or the like which is 32" 1440p freesync and has a good compromise refresh of 75hz which is well under $300 on sale. The bigger screen size in 1440p would be much better for your eyesight as opposed to 4K and the 2070 compliments it more. If you can find a 144hz 1440p with Gsync for sale in your range at 32", that would be perfect, but you'd likely not even notice the difference going one step down. The Pixio PX329 32 inch 165Hz (Freesync capped at 144hz) is also currently popular though I have not personally gamed on that one, it is well within your price range.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12...monitor-review
DaverJ likes this.

Last edited by Grimbor; 01-20-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Grimbor is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old Today, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Appreciate all the advice.

I visited a friend that had a Dell S2719DGF which I liked alot. So I went ahead and got pair of them.

Enabled Gsync-compatibility via latest Nvidia Drivers and so far everything is smooth as silk. Although, sometimes if game is 60...the monitor seems be double to 120. But say game is 50...then monitor syncs to 50....70 to 70, etc. Have not had chance to see what happens at 30....or anything under the freesync range min.
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old Today, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RafaelSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 2,952
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 609
After more testing it seems the "doubling" of rate seems to only happen in the 40-60 range....and not always. Ive heard of something called LFC ( low framerate compensation) which as I understand is suppose to kick in at rates below the Freesync min.....seems like this is kicking in early sometimes.
RafaelSmith is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old Today, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 9,671
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 3998
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
I visited a friend that had a Dell S2719DGF which I liked alot. So I went ahead and got pair of them.
Does that monitor have speakers? I'm seeing a headphone jack, but I'm guessing no speakers.
DaverJ is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HTPC Gaming



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off