Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-12-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
TV Above Fireplace Concerns

My wife has been asking me to mount our 75" TV above our fireplace and I've been 50/50 on it. Main reason is that I have no connections there for anything and have no idea how I would go about setting everything up for a nice clean look. I have no idea where I would be able to place the cable box, bookshelf speakers, center speaker, receiver, subwoofer, etc and how to run all the wires for a clean look. Right now we have it sitting along the wall to the right side of the door on a TV stand with everything nice and clean but she would like to use that wall to place our couch for a better seating area. This house will become a rental property for me at some time in the near future so not looking to spend a whole lot of money on trying to get this done. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Here is a quick pick I snapped when I first purchased the house 10 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
My wife has been asking me to mount our 75" TV above our fireplace and I've been 50/50 on it. Main reason is that I have no connections there for anything and have no idea how I would go about setting everything up for a nice clean look. I have no idea where I would be able to place the cable box, bookshelf speakers, center speaker, receiver, subwoofer, etc and how to run all the wires for a clean look. Right now we have it sitting along the wall to the right side of the door on a TV stand with everything nice and clean but she would like to use that wall to place our couch for a better seating area. This house will become a rental property for me at some time in the near future so not looking to spend a whole lot of money on trying to get this done. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Here is a quick pick I snapped when I first purchased the house 10 years ago.

The door beside your fireplace gives a good comparison of the height given that's a standard height door. In my opinion, that would be WAY too high to mount a TV. You'd be staring up all the time. I know for many (outside of this forum), over a fireplace is a popular place. But it's not a good place at all. You are limited on speaker placement, you will get stiff neck looking up all the time, you will get heat from the fireplace surrounding your TV...no good.

I hope I'm not coming across too negative here. Everyone has the right to do what they want. I mounted my TV too high in one of my rooms in the basement and I regret it horribly. However, it's nowhere near as high as yours would be.

Tony
post #3 of 13 Old 01-12-2019, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
That is a terrible location for a television. The middle of the screen should be just above eye level.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-12-2019, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 878
If you are reclined back in a recliner, a higher tv is ok.

If you are sitting up, on a couch or armchair, then higher is not so good.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-12-2019, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks fellas. I have been telling her the same thing. Told her it’s too high for our viewing and now I know I’m not the only one who thinks that.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-13-2019, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
We did something like this in the living room. The plasma is about 14 inches above the fire place. I thought it was going to be annoying having it so high, but honestly it has never bothered me.

I never run the fireplace and the tv at the same time out of fear of overheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 Old 01-13-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknorpi View Post
We did something like this in the living room. The plasma is about 14 inches above the fire place. I thought it was going to be annoying having it so high, but honestly it has never bothered me.

I never run the fireplace and the tv at the same time out of fear of overheating.

Part of it also depends how far back you sit from the TV when it's mounted high. The further you are from it, the from eyes to the bottom third of the Display decreases. If 4K, if you are too far back, you lose the added resolution benefit.

Tony
post #8 of 13 Old 01-13-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Part of it also depends how far back you sit from the TV when it's mounted high. The further you are from it, the from eyes to the bottom third of the Display decreases. If 4K, if you are too far back, you lose the added resolution benefit.

Definitely agree. I’m sitting about 13 feet from the 65” 1080.

I couldn’t imagine watching it from 6 feet away.

post #9 of 13 Old Today, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
OP- I've run a plasma over a FP in a very similar setup for 14 years. We use a tilt mount and it's not an issue at all.
post #10 of 13 Old Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I'm also a fireplace TV guy. The easy answer is to take some painters tape and mock it up. And have her stare at it a bit. You too
post #11 of 13 Old Today, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I was pretty against the idea. With that said, recently made the decision to get a 75 or 82 inch and guess what, only place it will work in my room is above the fireplace.... I have found a couple of really nice mounts that pull down and allow the tv to be extended away from the wall, thats what I plan to do. The mount I found lowers the TV 2 feet!

Pretty mad at myself, just built last year, now I have to pull the fireplace and install an outlet and run HDMI etc. There goes a whole day but worth getting it right.
post #12 of 13 Old Today, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 413
I THINK I can barely see a 120-VAC Double Outlet to left of Fireplace.....but I didn't see any Coax Outlets....so you'll have to use Wi-Fi Connection to TV and other components that might need it.

Here in SOCAL [and perhaps also in South Texas???], there is no real "need" for an indoor Fireplace....so my UDTV sits on a low table (with DIY Center and L/R 10-in Woofers below), completely hiding the Living Room Fireplace....and my old Vinyl Collection completely covers up the Fireplace in the rear TV/Computer Room. Here is Old Photo showing 42-in Plasma...since replaced by 50-in Plasma and then 55-in LED/LCD UDTV so you can't even SEE any evidence of Fireplace behind it:

BTW: That's a 58-yo Heirloom Monkey Pod Table my older brother and I helped to sand...and sand...and sand...before my Dad laid down a hard acrylic finish....while stationed in Hawaii....there is a smaller DIY Table make of Koa Wood in the TV/Computer Room.

Last edited by holl_ands; Today at 04:35 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 04:23 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
Here in SOCAL [and perhaps also in South Texas???], there is no "need" for an indoor Fireplace....so my UDTV completely hides the Living Room Fireplace....and my old Vinyl Collection completely covers up the Fireplace in the rear TV/Computer Room.
Even up here in the Bay Area a fire is nice but then we get scolded about air quality so controlled fire place based fires have almost gone the way of the Quaalude. I had our 55" Sony A1E on a table top stand jacked up a little bit, sitting on the hearth, in front of the fire place, perfect eye level but still too far away. So I absconded with the OLED to my "office" and now sit about 36" from it. Replaced it with a 65" 900F, still on the hearth, no stand this time just the feet it came with, its perfect. The ST5000 sound bar is directly above the TV on the mantle, and the sub is IN the fireplace box scooted all the way up to the edge of the box so as to keep it co planar with the sound bar, sounds great.

XBR-55A1E Television
HT-ST5000 "simulated" Atmos Sound Bar
Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K + Xfinity XG1v4-A TV box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms