Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 01-07-2019, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Aggressive 1299 ported or sealed??

So I bit the bullet and ordered the 1299's. So now my question is do I go with sealed or do I port it? These will be used for 90% HT 5% gaming and 5% music. Running strictly off of my denon receiver. I know I gotta raise them up anyways to get the wave guides to ear level, so that's why I figure if I raise them might as well port them.

I like the idea of sealed just because of space issues but am I really losing much if I do go with sealed? I dont really run at reference levels maybe -15 to -10. Plus I will always be running my subs. Any advice on which way I should go with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 01-07-2019, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I was contemplating the same thing a few weeks back. Got the 1299s in a few months ago and am finally about to start the build. I was just planning on going sealed and raising the box by making it bigger/taller to raise the CD to ear level. Came across a thread where someone had cut the baffles of the 1099s and made it a TMWW design. I'm planning on doing that so the box doesn't have to be extremely tall. I will be adding a little height on the bottom to port it as well. I'll find links to my thread and the other I was talking about here in just a bit. I'll attach the screen shots of what I plan on doing modeled. I need to go back and fine tune all my measurements (I don't think I accounted for port volume out of the box) but that'll give you a good starting point for looking at a ported design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delta123.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	2507502   Click image for larger version

Name:	delta122.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	2507504   Click image for larger version

Name:	delta12.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	2507506   Click image for larger version

Name:	box volume.PNG
Views:	48
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	2507508  
Drichards650 likes this.

Blister64 Full Basement Build w/ Media Room
Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva LPA-1 | DIY Swope TMWW Front Stage | Old A** Onkyo Rear Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Dayton Ultimax 15 | Crown XPS1000
post #3 of 45 Old 01-07-2019, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blister64 View Post
I was contemplating the same thing a few weeks back. Got the 1299s in a few months ago and am finally about to start the build. I was just planning on going sealed and raising the box by making it bigger/taller to raise the CD to ear level. Came across a thread where someone had cut the baffles of the 1099s and made it a TMWW design. I'm planning on doing that so the box doesn't have to be extremely tall. I will be adding a little height on the bottom to port it as well. I'll find links to my thread and the other I was talking about here in just a bit. I'll attach the screen shots of what I plan on doing modeled. I need to go back and fine tune all my measurements (I don't think I accounted for port volume out of the box) but that'll give you a good starting point for looking at a ported design.
I do like the size of that one you modeled. That would roughly be about same size I could fit.

So if I do go ported Will i need some kind of external hpf? Or is it even worth it if I am crossing them with the subs anyways?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 01-07-2019, 11:14 PM

If you are crossing them with your subs on you receiver, that should be your hpf. I'm not doing anything besides that, wouldn't worry about it.

Here's the link to my build thread (hopefully I'll actually get the building soon lol) http://01900888.com/forum/155-d...1299-tmww.html
And to @SDHacker 's thread where he modified his 1099s. http://01900888.com/forum/155-d...d-s-build.html
On the sizing, I'd just play around with WinISD and adjust your height and depth to what you'd like it to be. To make things easier I left the width the same. The mid 30s tuning seemed to give a good response and the port dimensions weren't too crazy. @eng-399 was very helpful with box design as well, maybe he can chime in if you have some more specific questions.
Drichards650 and eng-399 like this.

Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva LPA-1 | DIY Swope TMWW Front Stage | Old A** Onkyo Rear Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Dayton Ultimax 15 | Crown XPS1000
post #5 of 45 Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked: 4755
The lower tuning that I’ve helped a few guys out for was for a crossover point on there avr that they wanted to be at and for two channel listing. What I find that’s nice is when it’s later on at night and the kids are sleeping having a lower tune on your mains and setting them to large so they play full range you can leave your subs off so you don’t keep everyone up in your house. My dual 15” titans have a tune of 20hz and it sounds like there’s subs in when there turned up loud so late at night it’s nice with out subs.
Happy to help if anyone needs help with these. Send me a pm
post #6 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
If you have space perhaps go sealed for the 1299 and then a dedicated sub for each acting as a stand, so you can run full range. Will increase system complexity but can provide worthwhile results.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 1788
Eng helped me design these cabs. I wanted to build towers for 2 channel use without subs. And for the height that’s been mentioned. I like the overall look of these and the port is 2” by 9” deep. Width of the baffle. I think 13.25. I can share the cutlist if it interests you.
post #8 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 427
My thoughts when I built my 1299's, were that I would be using subs for the low end and if going ported for all 3, would I be able to fit a horizontal center in my space. I went sealed for the space limitations.
If I had a dedicated room I would build 3 vertical ported 1299's. But then again I run my subs for most everything.
Here are some pics of what I have. Works out very well for day light and night.

During the day.

And then at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	2507648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0738.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	2507650  

post #9 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
My thoughts when I built my 1299's, were that I would be using subs for the low end and if going ported for all 3, would I be able to fit a horizontal center in my space. I went sealed for the space limitations.
If I had a dedicated room I would build 3 vertical ported 1299's. But then again I run my subs for most everything.
Do you ever regret going sealed? I have been going back and forth for my upcoming build. The horizontal center is going to be a factor for me as well, basically maxed at 40" wide (the width of the baffle) so they would have to be deep if ported.

How is the midbass from them? I don't plan on ever running them without subs as well but want to see if I can get a bit more midbass out of them because at 4 subs in my living room currently I can't add any MBMs.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #10 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave_rider View Post
Do you ever regret going sealed? I have been going back and forth for my upcoming build. The horizontal center is going to be a factor for me as well, basically maxed at 40" wide (the width of the baffle) so they would have to be deep if ported.

How is the midbass from them? I don't plan on ever running them without subs as well but want to see if I can get a bit more midbass out of them because at 4 subs in my living room currently I can't add any MBMs.
No I don't regret having them sealed. They sound good and can get extremely loud clean sound. I can still feel my chest pound from the 1299's and then add the subs it gets better. Vocal are super clear and sound stage huge. If you have 4 subs now, sealed would be the way to go. But like I say if it were a dedicated room I would have gone ported. Dedicated space means added space for more subs and bigger speakers IMO. Mine are in a living area and still take up a lot of real estate.

post #11 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
No I don't regret having them sealed. They sound good and can get extremely loud clean sound. I can still feel my chest pound from the 1299's and then add the subs it gets better. Vocal are super clear and sound stage huge. If you have 4 subs now, sealed would be the way to go. But like I say if it were a dedicated room I would have gone ported. Dedicated space means added space for more subs and bigger speakers IMO. Mine are in a living area and still take up a lot of real estate.
No plans on a dedicated room in the near future or even somewhat distant future so hearing from someone who has them may have just helped me decide. I am waiting to hear back from eng-399 about his experiences with them as well but I really appreciate your input.
post #12 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, when (and if I guess) you run your avr’s auto cal what crossover does it set for your sealed 1299s?
post #13 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Just out of curiosity, when (and if I guess) you run your avr’s auto cal what crossover does it set for your sealed 1299s?
ATM I am running off of a cheap Integra , while waiting for my Nad 777v3. Once I get that integrated I will have a better answer for you. This Integra , I can set to large or small on each speaker with added bass. I have set the L/R to large and center as small all with added bass, but to tell you the truth without any EQ they sound good. Really hoping the Nad with Dirac Live can bring this all together for me.
Jk7.2 likes this.

post #14 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Eng helped me design these cabs. I wanted to build towers for 2 channel use without subs. And for the height that’s been mentioned. I like the overall look of these and the port is 2” by 9” deep. Width of the baffle. I think 13.25. I can share the cutlist if it interests you.
Those are turning out excellent btw!

post #15 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those are turning out excellent btw!

Thanks! I’ve got a coat of duratex done on the baffles and ports. That really makes them look complete. I think I’ll put up a little build thread Incase anyone’s interested.
Drichards650 likes this.
post #16 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I’ve got a coat of duratex done on the baffles and ports. That really makes them look complete. I think I’ll put up a little build thread Incase anyone’s interested.
Nope, don't think anyone is. Plus that will just make me a little more jealous that you have yours done and I don't yet!
Jk7.2 and Drichards650 like this.

post #17 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2002 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave_rider View Post

no consideration for the 1099's since size is a factor?
Drichards650 likes this.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG Fusion 10's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual Dayton HO 18's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP
Nearfield: 2 Dayton HO 15's + MBM: 2 PA 380's w/Inuke 6000DSP

Last edited by chadsmith013; 01-08-2019 at 01:15 PM.
post #18 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

I think right now I am digging blister64 set up. Its ticking all the right boxes for me. It's perfect height and depth for me. I am just a little sketched out about cutting the baffle. Is there any benefit with ported on the center channel or will it still work fine with the sealed center.

I did consider the 1099 but those 1299 seemed to good to pass up. Yea I am a limited on space right now but do plan on moving to a bigger space in about 2 years. I doubt I would fit the titans so the 1299's was the biggest i could get.
post #19 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 05:00 PM

I'm leaving my center sealed as I won't really have the room to port it. I don't think it will affect things too much, especially crossing things over for sub's and with EQ from the receiver. I don't really WANT to cut the front baffle haha, but it's the best solution for the situation.
Drichards650 likes this.

post #20 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm leaving my center sealed as I won't really have the room to port it. I don't think it will affect things too much, especially crossing things over for sub's and with EQ from the receiver. I don't really WANT to cut the front baffle haha, but it's the best solution for the situation.
I could get away with porting my center but it will be tight. I like the idea of rearranging it cuz that would be the perfect height. Just doesnt look like a whole lot of area to mess up at lol. All my parts come in on Monday so I will be able to look at it more closely. But I might have to give your design a shot if you dont mind blister64. Still thinking about porting that center tho but will see after I get a closer look. I might chicken out and go sealed lol.
post #21 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 PM

I’m on my phone and it always has difficulty replying to comments but i actually asked Erich if I would experience anything negative from having ported L&R with a sealed center and his response was:

“You won't have any issues running a sealed 1299 center with ported left/right speakers for home theater use.

There isn't much reason to build them as big as the dimensions you listed. That's coming in around 6cuft net and they can do just fine around 4cuft ported.”

I had initially explained that I was going to build the ported boxes around 5.5-6 cf but I was also looking at a tune a bit higher than you posted in your build thread, I was thinking around 47hz when I wrote him the email. I am very happy this thread has been so active since I was having very similar thoughts and questions.
Drichards650 likes this.
post #22 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you going to build stands for these as well to raise the wave guide up? Or Is the wave guide right height for you.
post #23 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drichards650 View Post
Are you going to build stands for these as well to raise the wave guide up? Or Is the wave guide right height for you.

It’s 36” from floor to center of the waveguide. These are floorstanders.
Drichards650 likes this.
post #24 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It’s 36” from floor to center of the waveguide. These are floorstanders.
What are the dimensions on yours?
post #25 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What are the dimensions on yours?

14 1/4 wide 16” deep 52” tall. Tuned to ~30ish I think. I don’t remember exactly
post #26 of 45 Old 01-08-2019, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Those do look beautiful too. I hope mine come out as nice as those. I am going to try to vaneer mine as well but will be the first time ever doing it. Did you do a double baffle on those as well?
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #27 of 45 Old 01-09-2019, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those do look beautiful too. I hope mine come out as nice as those. I am going to try to vaneer mine as well but will be the first time ever doing it. Did you do a double baffle on those as well?

No just a single baffle.
You will be able to veneer just fine. Mine is the paperbacked veneer from parts express. This is my second job with it. It went so much better this time. Ask away when you get to that point. Lots of good help around here.
post #28 of 45 Old 01-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I could get away with porting my center but it will be tight. I like the idea of rearranging it cuz that would be the perfect height. Just doesnt look like a whole lot of area to mess up at lol. All my parts come in on Monday so I will be able to look at it more closely. But I might have to give your design a shot if you dont mind blister64. Still thinking about porting that center tho but will see after I get a closer look. I might chicken out and go sealed lol.
Don't mind at all! It's a team effort. Looking forward to your build.

post #29 of 45 Old 01-09-2019, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Is it worth it to go for the 20 mil vaneer vs the 10 mil vaneer?
post #30 of 45 Old 01-10-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Super late to the party here, but I'm also debating this same thing for the one-off Titan L/C/R I want to build. I'm planning on cutting down the width considerably, and also sealed v ported....

What I'm debating doing (because I'm super indecisive), is building them ported (but maybe only to 40hz) & downfire the ports, and then add an overhang to the bottom to allow me to put in a removable bottom plate that converts it from ported to sealed... then I can play with what I want and go from there.

Who knows if I will actually do that, or just go with a entirely sealed L/R/C Titan (using Matts custom horizontal Titan-DC) for my center......

And again because I'm indecisive, I've looked at the 1299's and even 1099's and debated if thats what I'd do with them as well since the ports on the 1099's appear to make adding a grill a bit difficult.....

But I've not actually seen the 99's in action beyond a brief glimpse at a buddys house for a pair he was finishing for someone.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs