Forum Jump: 
 159Likes

post #3871 of 3896 Old 07-03-2018, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 431
One file was a birthday party but I was shooting in 3D with both AX100's so I have the right view at least. The 15gb file was about the middle 1/3 of a high school graduation, I was shooting that one in 2D since it wasn't really a 3D project so no backup camera. It isn't a high priority clip and considering the cost of getting it repaired I'm not too worried about it. Would have been cheaper to just order the school's program video disc but I got the parts I needed at least.

I just make sure I keep an eye on it now.

Something else, I had tested using the AC to DC power adapters awhile back because I was trying to power up 2 cameras off one battery. I had someone re solder the cables, remove the adapters and connect a single switch but it didn't work for what I needed which was to get the cameras to power up at the same exact time for frame sync. However, you could get a 8.4v 5000 or so mah lipo stick battery and run that way for one camera too. Plugging into the DC port on the back. I had just tested using an old battery I already had so it didn't last long as the battery was shot but a new lipo should last an incredibly long time just for one camera. Kind of wish I hadn't put the custom cables back to normal now, for long event recording it would be nice. Might have to redo that project.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3896 Old 07-04-2018, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
One file was a birthday party but I was shooting in 3D with both AX100's so I have the right view at least. The 15gb file was about the middle 1/3 of a high school graduation, I was shooting that one in 2D since it wasn't really a 3D project so no backup camera. It isn't a high priority clip and considering the cost of getting it repaired I'm not too worried about it. Would have been cheaper to just order the school's program video disc but I got the parts I needed at least.

I just make sure I keep an eye on it now.

Something else, I had tested using the AC to DC power adapters awhile back because I was trying to power up 2 cameras off one battery. I had someone re solder the cables, remove the adapters and connect a single switch but it didn't work for what I needed which was to get the cameras to power up at the same exact time for frame sync. However, you could get a 8.4v 5000 or so mah lipo stick battery and run that way for one camera too. Plugging into the DC port on the back. I had just tested using an old battery I already had so it didn't last long as the battery was shot but a new lipo should last an incredibly long time just for one camera. Kind of wish I hadn't put the custom cables back to normal now, for long event recording it would be nice. Might have to redo that project.

Ok.
Good luck and keep us posted on anything you discover on file recovery.
post #3873 of 3896 Old 07-04-2018, 01:33 PM

Tripod Base Plate for Sony AX100

Hello,
Just wondering if I need a special adapter plate to mount my AX100 on a tripod or if they're pretty much Universal and they all fit?
I have a tripod, but no base plate to screw onto the camera.

Thanks

HAPPY 4th to everyone !

Last edited by GoogleMeNot; 07-04-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3874 of 3896 Old 07-04-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pretty much any quick release baseplate your tripod uses will work. It's standard 1/4 20 thread.
GoogleMeNot likes this.

post #3875 of 3896 Old 09-11-2018, 11:03 AM

Question about the video files on the SD card - AX100

With the SD card removed from the video camera and inserted into a PC.....

Under M4ROOT

For each recording, there is an MP4 file and a matching XML file

Are those the only two files related to that particular recording and.....if I delete BOTH of the files does that completely remove that recording from the camera?
Is this a "safe" way to delete unwanted recordings?

Thanks
post #3876 of 3896 Old 09-11-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I always transfer by putting card into a USB 3.0 SD transfer cable and I delete by formatting in the camera's menu. I transfer the entire card over, all files.

post #3877 of 3896 Old 09-19-2018, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What gimbles work best with the Sony ax100?

I'm not worried about price as much as I am about performance and all 3 axis' working properly.

I've found these companies, but not sure which ones would work with this camera?

Do most DSLR gimbles work with the ax100?

http://ikancorp.com/productlisting.php?id=248

Gravity G2X:

http://tilta.com/shop/gravity-g2x-c...gimbal-system/

Evo Rage Gen2:

http://www.evogimbals.com/products/...orless-cameras

Can anyone recommend one I've linked to or suggest another one?
post #3878 of 3896 Old 10-02-2018, 07:15 PM

Windshield mounting

There are certain circumstances when mounting my AX100 on the windshield, looking forward, could be useful.

Anyone ever do that and if so, what kind of mount did you use?
post #3879 of 3896 Old 10-03-2018, 08:01 PM

AX100 in NO LIGHT conditions

Occasionally, I need to record video where there is NO ambient light. Total darkness. Think Yukon wilderness, on a moonless night.

The AX100 has built in IR illumination I believe that is called "Nightshot"

Anyone know the effective range of this IR illumination?

Sometimes I need illumination at 300 feet give or take 100 feet. So far, I haven't had any luck with nightshot beyond about 35 feet.
post #3880 of 3896 Old 10-03-2018, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogleMeNot View Post
Occasionally, I need to record video where there is NO ambient light. Total darkness. Think Yukon wilderness, on a moonless night.

The AX100 has built in IR illumination I believe that is called "Nightshot"

Anyone know the effective range of this IR illumination?

Sometimes I need illumination at 300 feet give or take 100 feet. So far, I haven't had any luck with nightshot beyond about 35 feet.
I tried it out once or twice, I didn't think it was even that far (35ft.), fine if you don't have a flashlight with you. If you want just moonlight with natural appearance, the IR wouldn't be right. Total darkness would just be total black and show noise. Better off using a still camera and long exposure.

post #3881 of 3896 Old 10-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi fellow AX100ers -

I have not looked at this thread in a long time. If any of you, like me, have had issues with files not being 'finalized' over the years and you have saved the corrupted mp4 files looking for a fix, I may have just found the 'free' Holy Grail answer.

I have read about businesses that can attempt recovery of the files at great expense.

I even purchased the updated Grau Video Repair Tool program which purports to work with the AX100 in its 'included camera' list on their website now. It did not work even with repeated 'options' setting changes and efforts. $120 not refundable : (

This YouTube link came from me scouring the internet for 4K mp4 file recovery.
This is not a come on or business advertisement. This is legitimately the result of me needing to desperately recover an hour and 35 minute concert set I shot with my AX100. The lineage goes AX100 PNY 256gb SD card>SD card reader> Windows laptop> external hard drive>got home - hard drive died>sent to Seagate's recovery team>30 days later received back a corrupt 65 gb mp4 file that had played flawlessly when I transferred it = me = ready to explode!!

2 DOS based PC programs, the broken .mp4 AX100 file, a perfect .mp4 AX100 file and the superb detail of the video's author completely saved and restored this non-playable file to its original pristine condition.

If you have been fortunate to never get a corrupt mp4 file from your AX100, rock on! Continued excellent luck to you. If you have and you saved it somewhere, this may well be worth a look and your time. Again, I did not author it. I have no $ interest - there is none. I just love this Sony camera and wanted to offer the potential 'silver bullet' to others on this forum who have lived this frustration as well.

fluffy
post #3882 of 3896 Old 10-09-2018, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for posting, I have one 15gb file from a couple years ago.

I learned my lesson using AX100 with only 1 bar of battery after that, so fortunately no other files yet. There's something different about Sony h.264 encoding than other cameras because I've never had this happen on them. Pull the battery or whatever the file is still playable but not with AX100.

There were a few apps I saw for Mac but they all required sending in the file which was a bit misleading. I would rather not send the file for privacy reasons so a home solution is an excellent option. I have Win 8.1 on bootcamp so I'll give this a try here at some point, looks like quite a few steps so don't know when I'll try it, probably need an hour or 2 from what I can see.

The other thing I need to fix is a 3TB Seagate drive that went bad with personal video recordings from my phone, but I haven't had any luck trying to repair it myself, only option was to send it off for a fee. It's sort of comes down to how important is it? I usually back up data but just got lazy.

post #3883 of 3896 Old 11-01-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
only option was to send it off for a fee. It's sort of comes down to how important is it? I usually back up data but just got lazy.

And of course, the moment you get "lazy" is when disaster jumps from it's hiding place to strike. Happens every time.
post #3884 of 3896 Old 11-01-2018, 12:43 PM

Battery Question

I have an AX100 and an NP-FV70 battery.
I don't really need it, but am considering buying a backup battery JIC.

Do I need to spend $60 - $80 on a battery or can I go cheaper with reasonable results? it's just for backup.
I see batteries on ebay for $14.00 for an NP-FV100..and was wondering if there are any other suckers who've tried them? haha.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-For....c100005.m1851
post #3885 of 3896 Old 11-01-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The cheaper batteries work but they don't report the charge correctly so I keep an eye on them and when they get to 50%, I pull them. I bought mine off Amazon but they're probably the same as the eBay ones. They show about 3 hours charge, but I pull about 2 hours of use or less, just to be sure.

post #3886 of 3896 Old 11-01-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
The cheaper batteries work but they don't report the charge correctly so I keep an eye on them and when they get to 50%, I pull them. I bought mine off Amazon but they're probably the same as the eBay ones. They show about 3 hours charge, but I pull about 2 hours of use or less, just to be sure.

Very helpful. Thanks
post #3887 of 3896 Old 11-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Charging the battery at 1 Amp

I do not know what the charge rate is when the battery is charged in the camera, but do you think a 1 Amp charge rate will cause the battery to get too warm?
Would you recommend or not recommend a 1 Amp external charger? This one ......
Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	KastarCharger.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	2478476

Last edited by GoogleMeNot; 11-05-2018 at 05:35 PM.
post #3888 of 3896 Old 11-05-2018, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogleMeNot View Post
I do not know what the charge rate is when the battery is charged in the camera, but do you think a 1 Amp charge rate will cause the battery to get too warm?
Would you recommend or not recommend a 1 Amp external charger? This one ......
Thanks

Attachment 2478476

don't waste your money on cheap charger. I have Watson duo charger and bought different plate for my pany tm700, tm900, sony gw77, sony cx700, hdr550. and sony duo charger but only charge sony cx700, ax100, ax700, ax53 battery.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...arger_for.html

sony charger better.
post #3889 of 3896 Old 11-06-2018, 04:46 PM

Can anyone confirm that only a charger like the Watson charger mentioned below will do the job properly.

Really didn't want to spend $80 plus shipping for just a charger.
post #3890 of 3896 Old 11-06-2018, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The kit that I bought isn't available any longer but there are a few others on Amazon.

Wasabi 3900 mah http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-...+ax100+battery

2500 mah http://www.amazon.com/Batteries-FDR...+ax100+battery

I haven't used either of these as I have enough batteries right now but they appear to be the two leading cheap replacements on Amazon. I have used other Wasabi batteries and they worked fine same with the chargers. I'd probably go with the Wasabi, but note they are the larger batteries so they stick out a little more on the back. But longer run time. The cheap chargers I have right now work just fine. I never charge in the camera.
hatchback and GoogleMeNot like this.

post #3891 of 3896 Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 PM

I just received an NP-FV100

I installed it in the camera and connected the charging cable. The orange charging light came on.

12 hours later, the orange light started blinking.

What does this mean?
post #3892 of 3896 Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by agoutihead View Post
What gimbles work best with the Sony ax100?

I'm not worried about price as much as I am about performance and all 3 axis' working properly.

I've found these companies, but not sure which ones would work with this camera?

Do most DSLR gimbles work with the ax100?

http://ikancorp.com/productlisting.php?id=248

Gravity G2X:

http://tilta.com/shop/gravity-g2x-c...gimbal-system/

Evo Rage Gen2:

http://www.evogimbals.com/products/...orless-cameras

Can anyone recommend one I've linked to or suggest another one?

Anyone have any input on the single-pole gimbals? I think I'm going to get the larger DJI Ronin-M setup:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tabilizer.html

Also, I need to use this special square filter:

http://www.amazon.com/Method-Seven-.../dp/B00GT2SAPU

Apparently it needs a Cokin Creative Filter system to attach to most cameras:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...-filter-system

My question is, does the Cokin Creative Filter system fit the Sony AX100?

From the specs on B&H for the Sony AX100, it says the filter size is 62mm?

So I would need the "A" series square filter mount?

Last edited by agoutihead; 11-12-2018 at 08:45 PM.
post #3893 of 3896 Old 11-14-2018, 08:13 AM

For the benefit of anyone else considering buying low cost aftermarket batteries.....

I just received a "PowerExtra" brand NP-FV70 battery from an ebay seller.
Right off the bat, there is a considerable weight difference.

The Sony OEM battery weighs 96 grams vs the PowerExtra battery at 75 grams. This is probably an indication that there is significantly less Lithium Ion layers inside.

I also purchased two, low cost ($14.00) NP-FV100 batteries. Their weight is 125grams, but the extra plastic could be most of that difference.

I designed a battery capacity test plate for NP-FVXXX series batteries on my 3D printer which exactly mimics the battery plate in the camera that will allow me to install the batteries in the battery test plate and then use an external precision instrument that measures the real capacity of the batteries under various loads. If anyone knows the estimated current draw of these cameras while recording that information would be helpful. Otherwise, I'll determine it mathematically.

I'll post the ACTUAL capacity of these batteries soon. Since there are few manufacturers that produce all these batteries and various resellers simply relabel them, these results should be good for a wide range of these low cost aftermarket batteries.

Last edited by GoogleMeNot; 11-14-2018 at 08:20 AM.
post #3894 of 3896 Old 11-14-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, the weight difference is always less than original. I powered two AX100's off a single 8.4v nimh battery I had on the shelf. I was considering picking up a lipo battery stick and using that for longer shoots, just have to deal with the cable and larger battery.

post #3895 of 3896 Old 11-15-2018, 06:12 PM

That's cool Tom. :-)

I just tested one of the $14.00 ebay NP-FV100 batteries in the camera and I'm pretty happy with it. These weigh 125 grams.
2.5 hours of recording time for $14.00 and it probably had 15 - 20 minutes left on it but I didn't push it past 2.5 hours.
This was with the view finder pulled out and the LCD screen closed btw. (which is how I usually record video)
I'm sure the LCD screen would shorten the run time considerably?

For my particular needs, the $14.00 batteries are more than adequate. I bought two. I usually record short segments of up to 10 minutes....but over many hours.
These should be excellent back up.

Last edited by GoogleMeNot; 11-15-2018 at 06:15 PM.
post #3896 of 3896 Old 11-19-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post
don't waste your money on cheap charger. I have Watson duo charger and bought different plate for my pany tm700, tm900, sony gw77, sony cx700, hdr550. and sony duo charger but only charge sony cx700, ax100, ax700, ax53 battery.
sony charger better.

I thought about buying this charger but it's a fast charger, up to 2Amps charging current.
Not sure if the battery can regulate the current internally but I definitely do not want to "Fast" charge my batteries. Fast charging LiIo shortens life.

For my batteries, 600mA or less
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders