Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #61 of 100 Old 04-14-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
Aymen, neither the AX100, AX33 or AX53 shoots 4K@60p. They will shoot 4K@30p or 24P. You'll be able to shoot at higher frame rates, but only in HD.

If you're coming from an A6000, you might also want to check out the A6300 which also shoots 4K. I've had it since it came out and I've been extremely happy with its picture quality.

Your choice really depends on whether you want the ability to use different lenses or if you prefer the simpler camcorder approach to video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 100 Old 04-14-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymen007 View Post
Hello everyone

I have a Sony A6000 camera and now I am looking to buy a video camera that shoots in 4K to film at home with family or family event
I stayed 2 years waiting for a camera filming 4K 60p jusqau but now I can not find it on ONLY a professional that exceeds $ 2,000 I want your opinion what model you advised me
Sony AX100 or there are new models FDR-AX33 or FDR-AX53
what is the difference between 3 and what model and best recommeded
also between 25p or 30p or 50p or 60p is that there is a big difference in the finished image quality and fluidity or not
Have you read the specs and compared them? What exactly is not clear from the comparison?
Have you watched video say on YouTube at 30 and 60 fps? Do you see the difference?
What other reviews and discussions have you read? What is missing from those reviews?
post #63 of 100 Old 04-23-2016, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just bought the Sony AX53. So far I've only shot at 4K/30fps at 100 Mbs/sec. While I don't have a 4K TV, the video looks great on an HD TV. Here's a link to a test video I shot showcasing color/zoom/night. Everything including the moon was handheld. A lot of the shots were at 30x zoom.

Anyone with a 4K TV please let me know how it looks.

Thanks, Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 100 Old 04-23-2016, 04:44 PM

Looks like I can't post a link on my first forum post. Anyways, search youtube for "LouB747" to find my channel or just search AX53 and look for the yellow Ferrari thumbnail.
post #65 of 100 Old 06-12-2016, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouB747 View Post
Looks like I can't post a link on my first forum post. Anyways, search youtube for "LouB747" to find my channel or just search AX53 and look for the yellow Ferrari thumbnail.
Looks great on my 4k TV a little shaky on the close ups but not bad at all. I've been looking to get this camcorder but i'm torn between it and a A6300, LX-100 or ZS-100. They all have there advantages and disadvantages.

I rented a LX-100 and it felt old but the 4k was great and it made a good concert camera with the f1.7 lens. The A6300 i don't think i can get that into a concert. I'm really only after the the best 4K video for $1,000 for concerts and family outings. Already have a DSLR for pictures.

Last edited by Tazz316; 06-12-2016 at 05:44 PM.
post #66 of 100 Old 07-20-2016, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,
I am currently testing out an AX53. While I'm happy with the video quality in general, I'm disappointed in the macro capability. It isn't able to get very close before losing focus. Even my $200 Sony CX230 gets much closer to the subject, but of course its image quality is poor compared to the AX53. I'm also having a hard time getting the autofocus to focus on the subject instead of the background, and manually focusing is a bit of a pain with the new firmware 1.01 (need to turn and turn the focus ring). Overall I just find it harder to focus on a macro subject with the AX53 compared to the CX230. Any AX53 users here that could confirm it's the same for them, or maybe there is something wrong with my unit? I wonder if the Panasonic equivalents do any better at this.
post #67 of 100 Old 07-25-2016, 11:53 AM

Another thing I noticed is that no matter which way I hold it, this camcorder makes some extra AUDIO noise when hand-held. Not terribly loud but still noticeable. Maybe a fan is activated whenever the device detects it is hand-held? I tried completely inactivating the stabilization system, but that had no effect on this.

Last edited by Drevin; 07-26-2016 at 10:31 AM.
post #68 of 100 Old 07-25-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I have listened to your video but not sure the noise you mention was the loud clunky sound when the camera was flipped around (quite violently in fact) or the humming background noise that sounded more like some kind of motorized vehicles moving?
post #69 of 100 Old 07-26-2016, 01:31 AM

It's the humming noise that I was talking about, it's something that originates from the camera and starts soon after it's picked up. I read in a German review of the camera that theirs had the same behavior and couldn't find a solution except to either use a tripod or an external mic.
post #70 of 100 Old 07-26-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I listened to the video again the humming noise clearly followed the severe flipping of the camera that also caused the much louder noise of objects contacting and rubbing noise. Because there were:

1. Unusually strong movement of the camera that's also not typical in the way the camera is normally moved while recording in most situations and

2. Loud noises as the result of the above movement (as recorded by the camera but from where you ears were at some short distance from the camera you may not have heard them or heard them but faintly)

,the humming noise that followed may have been caused by either the stabilizing gimbal trying to keep the frame steady and needing a second or two to wind down hence the noise always subsided and was gone in about 2-3 seconds. Or the audio automatic gain went out of whack as the result of the loud (inside the camera's body) contact and rubbing noises by reducing the gain down too far and when the movement had fully settled (thus no more contact and rubbing noises) the gain then tried to compensate for the sudden quietness by temporarily increasing too high to the point of causing humming before properly normalizing the recording level after that.

Can't really say if your camera is defective until hearing more cilps from normal handheld shooting, without mechanical contact or rubbing noises, and with ambient sound at more stable levels. A little too loud or too quiet won't be a problem.
post #71 of 100 Old 07-26-2016, 10:39 AM

Ok I replaced the old video with one that has minimal background noise. Pretty much the only thing that changes between the first and second half of the video is the second half is hand-held while the other is not.

The humming is not only noticeable on the output videos, it can be heard even while filming - coming from inside the device. So it's not a fault of the microphone, something else in the camcorder produces the noise, the mic just does its job and records it.

PS. here is a link to the review I mentioned. Similar noise in the test that starts at 5:55.

Last edited by Drevin; 07-26-2016 at 01:06 PM.
post #72 of 100 Old 07-26-2016, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you handheld the cameras normally and that humming noise in the replacement video could be heard while filming, this alone indicates there is something wrong with you camera. Most likely in the gimbal stabilizing system since when the camera was put on the tripod and the gimbal was inactive there was virtially no noise.

It's hard to believe this is design defect as I also own an older Sony Handycam model that uses a similar gimbal system and it has no such noise when handheld in Active mode. Neither have I heard a similar noise from numerous AX53/55 handheld, walking and even running clips from different users posted online.
post #73 of 100 Old 08-01-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Any suggestions on what cameras are compatible with the "multi-camera control" option with the AX-53? I want to have a goalie cam for the soccer season that's coming up and want to sync the video, but the documentation on what works together is sparse.

Matt
post #74 of 100 Old 08-01-2016, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
Any suggestions on what cameras are compatible with the "multi-camera control" option with the AX-53? I want to have a goalie cam for the soccer season that's coming up and want to sync the video, but the documentation on what works together is sparse.
The Sony FDR X1000 4K action cam has multi-cam control and I am pretty sure it will work with the AX53. It is perfect as a goalie cam (wide view), and its 4K is very high quality.

Its a really neat feature.
turls likes this.
post #75 of 100 Old 08-04-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
The Sony FDR X1000 4K action cam has multi-cam control and I am pretty sure it will work with the AX53. It is perfect as a goalie cam (wide view), and its 4K is very high quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh-ejOxTZcI

Its a really neat feature.
Thanks, I almost pulled the trigger on this, but I read about overheating issues and also limited range of the multi-camera feature. If I'm at the center line I don't think the wifi will go all the way to the goalie cam.

I saw a video that had the action cam mounted on top of the video cam which would also be a nice alternate angle, but still scared by battery capacity and overheating issues.

Also, is Playmemories Home the only way to get the cool PiP combination of feeds? I use Sony Movie Studio. Maybe I could use Playmemories Home as an intermediary. I know enough about editing to be dangerous.

Matt

Last edited by turls; 08-04-2016 at 10:45 AM.
post #76 of 100 Old 08-04-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
Thanks, I almost pulled the trigger on this, but I read about overheating issues and also limited range of the multi-camera feature. If I'm at the center line I don't think the wifi will go all the way to the goalie cam.

I saw a video that had the action cam mounted on top of the video cam which would also be a nice alternate angle, but still scared by battery capacity and overheating issues.

Also, is Playmemories Home the only way to get the cool PiP combination of feeds? I use Sony Movie Studio. Maybe I could use Playmemories Home as an intermediary. I know enough about editing to be dangerous.
I have the X1000 and never encountered overheating problems. But I do not just point the camera and shoot for 30 minutes straight; I shoot in small increments. If you need to shoot 4K for very long continuous intervals this could be a problem - the GoPro has a worse overheating problem, btw.

PM is the easiest way. Then you can ship the PiP video into SMS and tweak the colors etc. But you do have two full separate 4K feeds so you an also do a multicam video, shifting between POV in real time in the editor. The X1000 has time code to make lining the video clips up easy (you also can line up using the audio tracks); I assume the AX53 has time code too.
turls likes this.
post #77 of 100 Old 08-04-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
I have the X1000 and never encountered overheating problems. But I do not just point the camera and shoot for 30 minutes straight; I shoot in small increments. If you need to shoot 4K for very long continuous intervals this could be a problem - the GoPro has a worse overheating problem, btw.
Well, if I can get the wifi signal working I won't be shooting for 30 minutes straight, but if I'm too far away it wouldn't pause--I think the goalie cam idea may get revised. This sounds too cool to not try multiple angles of some type though.

Matt
post #78 of 100 Old 09-02-2016, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I made the jump to 4k today with the arrival of my AX53, so far i have only done some short night tests, and trying to use the intervalometer for timelapse.
However i can't see how to set the speed of images in Magix Move Edit Pro Premium. If anyone has any tips they are most welcome.
post #79 of 100 Old 09-02-2016, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful mutt View Post
I made the jump to 4k today with the arrival of my AX53, so far i have only done some short night tests, and trying to use the intervalometer for timelapse.
However i can't see how to set the speed of images in Magix Move Edit Pro Premium. If anyone has any tips they are most welcome.
Because setting the speed Magix Move Edit Pro Premium works only for the AX53.
post #80 of 100 Old 09-05-2016, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Here is my first quick video with the AX53. Shot in a local wood of mostly macro shots. So far I am very pleased with the camera. I also have the Rode VideoMicro and hoya pro 1 polariser and ND8 filters. And the np-fv100a battery and a cheap copy np-fv70 which will be part of a long term video to be posted in a few months.
Thanks for watching.

post #81 of 100 Old 09-13-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There have been two recent firmware upgrades to the AX53.

1.01: "Improves the auto focus performance of your camcorder when using the zoom function in XAVC S HD or AVCHD format"

1.02: "Improves the stability of your image when using a tripod in pan or tilt operation"

My understanding is that it is recommended to turn off Balanced Optical SteadyShot (BOSS) when using a tripod, so does anybody have any idea if the image stability improvements in 1.02 are independent of BOSS?

I have noticed quite a bit of image stability issues on 1.00 and 1.01 on a tripod, so I'm looking forward to trying 1.02.

Matt
post #82 of 100 Old 02-13-2017, 05:26 PM

I have two question comparing the AX 53 to my older HDR-PJ790.

1) Is the BOSS improved over the HDR-PJ790? I dont know how many axis the 790 had but the AX53 has 5.

2) Is still image quality any better in the AX53 over the 790?

I am thinking about upgrading only because of improved BOSS and still image quality, but want to know if it is worth it.
post #83 of 100 Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamreamer View Post
I am thinking about upgrading only because of improved BOSS and still image quality, but want to know if it is worth it.

the sensor size of ax53 is 1/2.5 and pj790 is 1/2.88 bigger sensor better quality. also ax53 make full use of the sensor size 16:9

I have the pj790 and ax53. the pj790 looks like robot with mike on top of camcorder.

you can not use powerbank on ax53. but the pj790 has build in usb so you can record hours of video with powerbank.

advantage of ax53 it has 'verson' of menu. sony camcorder user can do firmware upgrades.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...d#/downloadTab
post #84 of 100 Old 03-01-2017, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm on the fence between the AX53 or the Panasonic WXF991 or 981 (without EVF).

I do want 4K (have 80"4K Sony TV) but don't shoot a lot videos, I'm more of a photography guy (D810 and gold ring lenses ). I'm pretty much getting this for my wife who always tell me to take a video while shooting with my dSLR. Which i hate, lol.

I had Panasonic SD600 which was a great camcorder (recording recitals, kids games) until my daughter dropped it in the ocean. The camcorder will be mostly used for recording family vacations, recitals, performances, kids games (basketball, soccer). If I want to shoot more professional looking video, I could always use my D810 on tripod using better lenses and lighting.

AX53 pros for me are the optical stablization (BOSS), cons: might too big for my wife compared to the old Panasonic SD600.

Panasonic 981, pros smaller form factor, cons: image stabilization maybe not as good as Sony.

One other thing that bugs me is that smartphone video quality is getting better and for the price of about $1K for a camcorder I wonder if it's worth it. I actually tried using a DJI Osmo Mobile with my S7 Edge / Note 5, and the video looks awesome, good enough for day to day family video/memory capture specially in a good light. But the set-up is not as convenient as a camcorder and the ability to zoom beats out a smartphone camera.

Getting a G7 or G85 or other mirrorless 4K is pretty much out, as my wife won't want to deal with DSLRish form factor for video. She didn't like the DJI Osmo mobile set-up either, so I'm back to camcorders
post #85 of 100 Old 03-01-2017, 02:18 PM

I've owned both the AX53 and Panasonic VX870 (which I think is optically pretty identical to the 9xx). I ended up choosing the AX53 mainly because of a bit better video quality and more powerful stabilization. I did prefer the autofocus on the Panasonic, especially for close-ups. And the Panasonic ones do have more extensive manual controls (for example you can have both Iris and Shutter in manual mode at the same time), and like you mention are a bit smaller/lighter. The default battery on the Sony lasts a bit longer, about 1½ hours of continuous video recording.
post #86 of 100 Old 03-01-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post
........Getting a G7 or G85 or other mirrorless 4K is pretty much out, as my wife won't want to deal with DSLRish form factor for video. She didn't like the DJI Osmo mobile set-up either, so I'm back to camcorders
I've learned the hard way that with cameras one should encourage their spouse to pick out what they want and then believe that it is the best ever. If it is jewelry, you can pick it out as long as it costs three or four times what your best camera costs.
post #87 of 100 Old 03-01-2017, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only camcorder my wife ever knows of is her cellphones. I always "encourage" her to shoot video in landscape orientation as that's universally accepted as fundamental to good video.

Back to the choice between the Sony and Panasonic, I'd choose the AX53 because of better stabilization, (much) better low light capability, and less rolling shutter skew. That pseudo manual control on the AX53 is a downside but once you get the hang of it, like I have, it actually helps in that it prevents you from totally screwing things up by forgetting to change one of the parameters in the manual control.
post #88 of 100 Old 03-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Does anyone know of an intervalometer that works with the AX53? I know it has built-in timelapse functionality, but I find the 999 shot limit a bit annoying especially since the battery would allow for > 5000 shots when fully charged. I've seen some intervalometers like this one that has the right connection but only lists Sony cameras, not camcorders, as supported devices:

http://www.amazon.com/SUPON-Replace.../dp/B012APPEJE

Has anyone tested such a device with this camcorder? All I'd need is the ability to take an unlimited amount of interval snap shots (only limited by the battery and memory card, that is).
post #89 of 100 Old 03-14-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
The only camcorder my wife ever knows of is her cellphones. I always "encourage" her to shoot video in landscape orientation as that's universally accepted as fundamental to good video.
"Netflix has hinted that it hasn’t ruled out creating ‘vertical’ content specifically designed for watching on a mobile screen, with the platform’s founder and chief executive Reed Hastings revealing that “people are talking about it” and “maybe one day” it will look into it."

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2017/02/...lly-mobile-yet
post #90 of 100 Old 03-14-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"...look into it"? Well I hope not in the landscape mode because he would kick himself for not realizing why no one else has been doing it.

I'm not kidding this battle between classic landscape mode shooters like us and the growing horde of new generation cellphone shooters who like it vertical could dwarf anything in the past such as the video format wars the world had a decade ago. Think about it, there is no easy way out and neither is there any easy compromise. You get to watch the content the only way it can be watched, which is the way it was shot. The only way out is both the playback apps (YouTube, Instagram etc.) and the hardware (rotatable computer displays and TVs) have to support it. That's the ony way to do away with the ugly thick pillar boxing or "blurred image pillar boxes" for lack of a better description, and make better use of the screen space whatever size it is. Assuming both the software and hardware can accomodate it, the bigger question is would you mind sitting through let's say a 4-5 minute clip with your monitor or TV rotated 90 degrees?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders