8Likes

post #1 of 95 Old 01-18-2017, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Building a Library of Images for Everyone

Hi everyone,

I've been building a library of images that you are welcome to use in your projects. They might be useful under titles, for visual effects or anything else you can think of. They are all original...all my own work. All I ask is to be attributed as indicated on my homepage:

http://soundimage.org/

The images are on my "TXR" pages (for "Textures.")

I'm adding new ones all the time, so be sure to check back often. I sincerely hope that some of them are useful. Any and all constructive feedback is welcome and always appreciated. :-)

All the best,

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Matyas View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been building a library of images that you are welcome to use in your projects. They might be useful under titles, for visual effects or anything else you can think of. They are all original...all my own work. All I ask is to be attributed as indicated on my homepage:

The images are on my "TXR" pages (for "Textures.")

I'm adding new ones all the time, so be sure to check back often. I sincerely hope that some of them are useful. Any and all constructive feedback is welcome and always appreciated. :-)

All the best,

Eric
Thanks for sharing,Eric
You put a lot of effort in all of these.
post #3 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Images? Images? Really? What's next, your videos to download?

Music is hard for people to produce on their own, and I am sure everyone is grateful for your making available the music you have created, whatever the quality. Your musical creations can in principle enhance the videos people take.

However, I think people are capable of shooting their own images. Whatever the quality of yours I really do not think anyone should rely on "canned" images. This dulls creativity. What's the point of camera/camcorder equipment if we can just download someone else's photos?

What's next, you will provide a library of videos people can download?:

"Why shoot your own vacation video of the Grand Canyon, just download mine and attribute it to me. Your family and friends will appreciate it more than whatever you could possibly create."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
However, I think people are capable of shooting their own images. Whatever the quality of yours I really do not think anyone should rely on "canned" images. This dulls creativity. What's the point of camera/camcorder equipment if we can just download someone else's photos?
Weren't you approached by other videographers who wanted to use pieces of your videos? How is this different?
post #5 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I took a quick look. The "images" I looked at were more like textures that could be used as backgrounds for titles. It did not look like they were what I would call photographs.

It seems to fit Erics mission of providing "enhancements" or tools to help videographers. The ones I looked at could not be turned into any sort of complete video.
post #6 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
Weren't you approached by other videographers who wanted to use pieces of your videos? How is this different?
First, if you are implying that this guy's post and my behavior are the same, or there is some kind of hypocrisy, I am confused. I do not flog my videos or photos (or music) on forums discussing photo/video equipment for people to use, or suggest people use them, and I do not ask for money (check his web site). [I also do not monetize my Youtube videos (so there should be zero annoying ads), ask for people to subscribe or even solicit likes.]

I do appreciate that the linked site has no ads, so this is not just a way to make money directly.

Second, there are commercial outfits that buy stock photos and videos and sell stock photos and videos for profit. You think the people who participate here include those? Do we want this forum filled with repeated solicitations of available stock videos and photos for download?

Third, anyone is free to use other people's work, with proper attribution and if sought, proper compensation. Some people purchase Hallmark greeting cards; some people make their own cards.

But, again, what is the point of our having photo/video equipment if we just use other people's photos and videos? This is an equipment forum, presumably about how equipment can help us shoot better video.

Finally, contrast this: every week or so each of us makes a new post announcing there are some new videos that we have uploaded, which people can download and use in their own videos!

Anyway, feel free to use this guy's photos of tree stumps, I won't think that much less of you. This is not a case of discussing what is true or correct (like whether rolling shutter is worse on Sony cameras). It is just my opinion.
post #7 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
I took a quick look. The "images" I looked at were more like textures that could be used as backgrounds for titles. It did not look like they were what I would call photographs.

It seems to fit Erics mission of providing "enhancements" or tools to help videographers. The ones I looked at could not be turned into any sort of complete video.
Most non pro video editing programs contain literally thousands of backgrounds and templates for use. These are for people who lack much interest in creativity and just want to put together a video quickly that looks polished. Like Hallmark cards - for those who really do not care that much. That is fine.

The point is, however, you can readily make "textured backgrounds" with your camera, and it is fun to think about what you might shoot to do that. All the money spent on camera/lenses/ tripods and then you use someone else's picture/background, picked like carpet samples?

Viewers will be very impressed when at the end of your video you say "Background textures by whomever". You really couldn't do that yourself?

The same goes for music, but it really is too darn hard to compose and make one's own music. It is terrific to have available a large selection of "free" music.
But background textures? Really?
post #8 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are businesses based on the idea of selling background textures, lower thirds and other elements to improve production value, for example: http://www.digitaljuice.com/
post #9 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most non pro video editing programs contain literally thousands of backgrounds and templates for use. These are for people who lack much interest in creativity and just want to put together a video quickly that looks polished. Like Hallmark cards - for those who really do not care that much. That is fine.

The point is, however, you can readily make "textured backgrounds" with your camera, and it is fun to think about what you might shoot to do that. All the money spent on camera/lenses/ tripods and then you use someone else's picture/background, picked like carpet samples?

Viewers will be very impressed when at the end of your video you say "Background textures by whomever". You really couldn't do that yourself?

The same goes for music, but it really is too darn hard to compose and make one's own music. It is terrific to have available a large selection of "free" music.
Mark,

You are right that it is easy to "roll your own". Where I think we differ is that I applaud Eric's efforts to earn something by asking for donations in exchange for what he creates. I confess to not yet exchanging a donation for any of his work. Someday I will.

Compared to Getty, Adobe, Videoblocks, SmartSound, Audiosocket, etc., I like Eric's entrepreneurial spirit!

I don't know where he lives, what the economy is like or if he can employ his skills there. But, I hope he's making a good living this way.
post #10 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are businesses based on the idea of selling background textures, lower thirds and other elements to improve production value, for example: http://www.digitaljuice.com/
I am not arguing there is no demand for pre-made background textures (just as there is demand for pre-made video clips and photos), I am only encouraging people who have an interest in video and photography to make their own.

Do you want more people/firms peddling their pre-made video "enhancements" in this forum?

Last edited by markr041; 01-19-2017 at 01:49 PM.
post #11 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
....Do you want more people/firms peddling their pre-made video "enhancements" in this forum?
That is where the fine line is. Eric does give freely and gently allows donations. Nor does he "walk on" other threads. My view is that forum ethics have not been violated.

If Eric, or anyone else, were to change the tone or topic of a thread with any solicitation, I would poke the complain button (which is the triangle with the exclamation point in it).

Last edited by bsprague; 01-19-2017 at 02:02 PM.
post #12 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am not arguing there is no demand for pre-made background textures (just as there is demand for pre-made video clips and photos), I am only encouraging people who have an interest in video and photography to make their own.
It is not always feasible / sensible / possible to create your own, so using someone else’s creation may be the only way. Nothing wrong with that. The whole human progress is all about stealing... I mean, re-using and improving.
Quote:
Do you want more people/firms peddling their pre-made video "enhancements" in this forum?
Eric posts in a separate thread, appropriately titled. Considering that this forum has been on a brink of death recently, I see nothing wrong if someone else comes and peddles something, especially if it is done in an intelligent and mindful manner.
post #13 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
.....Considering that this forum has been on a brink of death recently, ......
It does seem to be tied to the consumer camcorder market!

The other thing that seems to have changed is "ease of use" which might mean there is less interest for "What do I need to do it?" discussions.
post #14 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
It does seem to be tied to the consumer camcorder market! The other thing that seems to have changed is "ease of use" which might mean there is less interest for "What do I need to do it?" discussions.
I figure, video geeks gather someplace else. Or, maybe there are only five geeks in the whole Internet who find talking about pixels and sensor size of their new toy as rewarding as talking about filming techniques or completed projects.
post #15 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I figure, video geeks gather someplace else. Or, maybe there are only five geeks in the whole Internet who find talking about pixels and sensor size of their new toy as rewarding as talking about filming techniques or completed projects.
Many of the shooters (and other devices - drones!) we talk about in this forum are quite expensive, and so that limits the relevance of the discussions for many. Which is why I posted a "review" of a relatively cheap all-in-one. No one who participates regularly here would have any interest in it, but the Polaroid and Instamax cameras outsell RX100's etc.
post #16 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many of the shooters (and other devices - drones!) we talk about in this forum are quite expensive, and so that limits the relevance of the discussions for many. Which is why I posted a "review" of a relatively cheap all-in-one.
Is this your way to lure in more visitors, Mark? ;-)
post #17 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is this your way to lure in more visitors, Mark? ;-)
Exactly. Folks who might actually be interested in downloading the "backgrounds" promoted in this thread.

Actually, I enjoy shooting with simple cameras much more - it's more challenging, and absolutely no one takes it seriously. Shooting with a bright blue camera is liberating. It's great the Sony X3000 is bright white too.
post #18 of 95 Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I enjoy shooting with simple cameras much more - it's more challenging, and absolutely no one takes it seriously.
Likewise, shooting with a $20 smartphone and editing right on it is liberating, too. You would not approve, though, as my phone is barely 720p.

The youngsters would not understand, and we have forgotten, what a breakthrough it was 30 years ago - a consumer-grade video camera, it was just "wow! I can shoot my own videos now! Longer than a minute! No need to wait a week for developing it! Can edit with another VCR!" Analog standard def, interlaced, grainy, muted, with bleeding colors... I often think we do not appreciate what we have.

Last edited by Ungermann; 01-19-2017 at 07:38 PM.
post #19 of 95 Old 01-24-2017, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I photographed a lot of cool textures last week that I'm sure could be used in all kinds of things. You'll find them here:

http://soundimage.org/txr-brick/
http://soundimage.org/txr-concrete/
http://soundimage.org/txr-ground/
http://soundimage.org/txr-metal/
http://soundimage.org/txr-rockstone/
http://soundimage.org/txr-vegetation/
http://soundimage.org/txr-wood/

Again, if anyone has requests for certain types of images, I'll be happy to keep my eyes open for them. Just let me know. :-)

Have a good week,

Eric
Tom Roper likes this.
post #20 of 95 Old 01-24-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Likewise, shooting with a $20 smartphone and editing right on it is liberating, too. You would not approve, though, as my phone is barely 720p.

The youngsters would not understand, and we have forgotten, what a breakthrough it was 30 years ago - a consumer-grade video camera, it was just "wow! I can shoot my own videos now! Longer than a minute! No need to wait a week for developing it! Can edit with another VCR!" Analog standard def, interlaced, grainy, muted, with bleeding colors... I often think we do not appreciate what we have.
No, I approve (not that that matters) - you are having fun and creating, all with a cellphone! And I watch movies sometimes on a 75" wall using a 720P projector. It's impressive.

Now youngsters are having fun taking pictures and printing them on the spot, and you oldsters do not understand...
post #21 of 95 Old 01-24-2017, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Matyas View Post
Hi everyone,

I photographed a lot of cool textures last week that I'm sure could be used in all kinds of things. You'll find them here:

http://soundimage.org/txr-brick/
http://soundimage.org/txr-concrete/
http://soundimage.org/txr-ground/
http://soundimage.org/txr-metal/
http://soundimage.org/txr-vegetation/

Again, if anyone has requests for certain types of images, I'll be happy to keep my eyes open for them. Just let me know. :-)

Have a good week,

Eric
Very nice Eric!! It's nauseating the pious platitudes about stock footage dulling creativity but apply a double standard when it comes to music.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #22 of 95 Old 01-25-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now youngsters are having fun taking pictures and printing them on the spot, and you oldsters do not understand...
I hope Polaroid does not pay you for... what is the word? peddling their wares in this forum, because the ROI would not be particularly impressive.

post #23 of 95 Old 01-25-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
It's nauseating the pious platitudes about stock footage dulling creativity but apply a double standard when it comes to music.
Stock anything dulls creativity. The whole point of advances in cameras is to make it easier for people to create. And this is a forum about cameras and their use. Providing stock images might have been useful 10 years ago. While there have been advances in music creation, it is still extremely difficult for anyone to create music, plus enforcement of intellectual property rights make it impossible to just use any music one likes. So we are extremely grateful to Eric and others for providing music to use, whatever its quality. Stock image supply in this forum is a joke (is that less pious for you?)

I am sorry you do not understand the distinction, and felt the need to need to be sanctimonious too.

Last edited by markr041; 01-25-2017 at 01:10 PM.
post #24 of 95 Old 01-31-2017, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

A whole bunch of new seamless texture images are ready for you on the following pages:

TXR - Brick
TXR - Concrete/Pavement
TXR - Foliage
TXR - Ground
TXR - Stone
TXR - Wood

Feel free to generate maps from them (displacement, specular, etc) as needed. If you need me to create them custom for you, drop me an email...(my email address is at the bottom of my homepage.)

I hope some of them are helpful!

Eric
post #25 of 95 Old 02-08-2017, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I've opened a new page of free sky images that might come in handy in your projects:
http://soundimage.org/txr-skies/

I also added a bunch of new wood images here:

post #26 of 95 Old 02-21-2017, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I've added about 100 new texture images. You'll find them on the following pages:

TXR - BRICK - (some new seamless "fantasy" bricks)

TXR - GROUND - (stones that could be used for riverbeds, railroad beds, etc.)

TXR - METAL - (both standard and seamless)

TXR - ROCK/STONE - (lots of cool rock textures, both standard and seamless...realistic as well as fantasy creations)

TXR - VEGETATION - (some cool ground cover that has a surreal look)

Enjoy!
post #27 of 95 Old 02-21-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Just read this thread through, and it's quite fascinating! It kinda encapsulates the development of moving images in the modern era. Speaking of encapsulation, I think a copy of it should be buried in a time capsule to be unearthed in 2117.
post #28 of 95 Old 03-07-2017, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I just began a new page of cool Sci-Fi texture images. Give it a look:

http://soundimage.org/txr-sci-fi/

I'll be adding many more images, including skins for creatures, aliens, etc.

Any requests?

Btw, I've also had folks ask about how to credit me for my images. Please simply list me and my website under "Textures" in your credits section...there's no need to identify which images are mine...unless you really want to. :-)

Anyhow, I think this is going to evolve into a really cool page. Hope it's helpful!

Eric
post #29 of 95 Old 03-19-2017, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

A bunch of cool new stone images are ready. You'll find them here:

post #30 of 95 Old 03-26-2017, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

This week's new images are all seamless so they can be tiled if need be.

The first group might be useful as sci-fi backgrounds. Feel free to scale them, mix with other textures or edit as needed.
http://soundimage.org/txr-sci-fi/

The second bunch are stone textures.

Please note: On all of my texture pages, the seamless images are grouped below the standard ones so make sure to scroll down...(WAY down on the rock/stone page.)

Anyhow, I hope some of them are helpful. Have a great week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders