Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2018, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 373
HLG Workflow in Free Resolve and Example

The workflow for DaVinci Resolve (free!) is easy.

Import your HLG clips as you would any clips.

In Project Settings, choose the "Color Management" pane and select DaVinci Resolve YRGB Color Managed as the Color Science.

Choose Rec. 2100 HLG as the Input Color Space if you shot in HLG, and Rec. 2100 HLG as the Timeline Color Space.

Choose Rec.2100 HLG as the Output Color Space.

Place the HLG clips on the timeline and edit (and grade if you want).

Export using the QuickTime container with a Google-supported codec. I use DNxHR HQX 10bit.

Upon rendering DaVinci automatically includes the metadata needed by YouTube for it to know that your video is HLG. I think this is also true for the free version.

That's it (the rest, the important things like editing, are normal). For the paid version, there is HDR mode for editing which provides tools (like scopes) especially for HDR editing.

So, this is what I did for my 4K HLG test clips.

Here is the 4K HLG video. If you do not have an HLG enabled TV, you swill see this in SDR as transformed by YouTube (looks ok). If you have an HLG-enabled TV the video should go into HLG automatically and you should get an HLG logo.

Once I am sure this all works, I then can shoot more interesting video (probably from RAW).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2018, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks. This works for me. However, the file sizes are enormous. A 30 second video is like 3 GB.

I have a Sony a7iii that shoots in HLG 8 bit. I tried using the HDR Metadata tool with the command prompt to add Metadata to it for Youtube or for local. It works, but it's still 8 bit which Youtube won't accept and most TV's won't accept. Is there anyone to fool Youtube or whatever, and wrap the videos in a 10 bit header instead of using Resolve? I'm pretty sure it will work if I can figure that out.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-08-2018, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
It actually didn’t work for me. I followed these parameters precisely on my Mac, shooting in S-log2 on my A7iii, and although YouTube recognized it as HLG, as did my LG OLED when playing the clip from YouTube, it looked decidedly washed out. It looked like an ungraded S-log2 clip and nothing like the brilliant contrast I get from shooting in HLG natively.

To make matters worse, because Resolve only outputs .mov files, I was unable to play these clips at all, unless they were first uploaded to YouTube and played back via YouTube (forgetting the very washed out look I got).

Conversely, when I shoot in HLG natively, I can play & preview clips in HLG right from the SD card when I get home, via a card reader and my Oppo 203 BluRay player. I can then edit an HLG project in FCP, output the project to a USB drive, and then play it in the same manner via my BluRay player. All this without the inevitable degradation that YouTube introduces. I can, of course, upload the HLG project to YouTube, where it will be again recognized as HLG on playback, but play in the high contrast HDR manner I expect.

So I don’t know what went wrong in my experiment, but regardless, the downsides of the .mov files are a non-starter for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-08-2018, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Thanks. This works for me. However, the file sizes are enormous. A 30 second video is like 3 GB.

I have a Sony a7iii that shoots in HLG 8 bit. I tried using the HDR Metadata tool with the command prompt to add Metadata to it for Youtube or for local. It works, but it's still 8 bit which Youtube won't accept and most TV's won't accept. Is there anyone to fool Youtube or whatever, and wrap the videos in a 10 bit header instead of using Resolve? I'm pretty sure it will work if I can figure that out.
When you render in DNxHR HQX 10bit, which will automatically inject the metadata, if you uncheck constant bitrate that will reduce the file size substantially. But, the file sizes will still be large relative to good old H264.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-23-2018, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help

Hello,

This workflow is not working for me. I'm editing and grading HLG clips from a Sony a7iii.

I used the Rec 2100 HLG parameters. It works fine, the colors seem good, but when I export the video I don't get the same colors. Should I convert to Rec-709? (I don't have an HDR monitor and I don't need to keep all the HLG informations when exporting. Apple Pro Res would be perfect for me).

On Final Cut Pro X I just color-grade by applying a lut with these parameters:
Input: Rec 2020
Output: Rec 709

I keep searching on DaVinci but doesn't come to the same result. Do you have an idea to make it simple?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-24-2018, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
I just got around to watching this on my Sony HDR TV and everything looks great except the reds on the porch ribbons, front door, sedan parked in the driveway and on the yellow sign. Even the reds on the cars' taillights also look off. They all look like they have too much saturation but it's weird that all other colors look normal. The gamma level as appears on my TV is also more or less spot on.

Did anyone else see what I saw?

Last edited by P&Struefan; 11-24-2018 at 05:24 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
My biggest issue with HDR these days is color accuracy. I’ve noticed the same tendency on the GH5 and the A7iii. Colors that look very nice when shooting SDR, somehow look off when shooting the same clip in HLG/HDR. In my case, greens seem to take the biggest hit. With the Sony some might think it’s the limitation of shooting 8bit HLG, but that doesn’t explain the GH5 where you can shoot 10bit.

I’m not sure what explains this, but it’s something that’s been bothering me. If I go back to videos I shot in HLG, they certainly look very good, but I didn’t shoot SDR contemporaneously to compare. Recently I have and I must admit the SDR colors look better. It’s really odd in that the Rec2020 color palette is broader and colors should be better than 709.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders