post #31 of 36 Old 12-03-2018, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Joe, I've got the 27" 5K Imac and to be honest, from a resolution standpoint when watching 4K material, I'm not wowed. To fill the 27" screen on the Imac, the image must be upscaled. So in comparing the full screen Imac image to my 4K 27" HP All-In-One (same screen size), I find the HP image sharper. Where the Imac shines, is the color quality. I've yet to see a screen where the color is better.
macOS cannot property scale unlike Windows, it basically enlarges pixels, so everything becomes more pixelated, what is the point of having a 4K monitor then? I have a 27-inch monitor at work and I use crappy Apple's scaling on it to make text a bit larger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 12-04-2018, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
macOS cannot property scale unlike Windows, it basically enlarges pixels, so everything becomes more pixelated, what is the point of having a 4K monitor then? I have a 27-inch monitor at work and I use crappy Apple's scaling on it to make text a bit larger.
I actually find the Mac scales text better than Windows. I can’t compare video scaling since displaying 4K video on my 4K Windows screen requires no scaling at all. I’ve always found adhering to the monitor’s native resolution is better than upscaling, regardless of the monitor. Now if I had a 5K Windows monitor than I’d be able to compare video scaling to the 5K IMac.

To answer your question about why have a 5K Mac monitor if you lose sharpness while upscaling, it’s because you have a larger workspace in 5K. Most Mac users don’t scale their 4K video, and this enables them to display the native 4K video while having the space for other work components on the screen at the same time. Most view that as a nice advantage. The other advantage is smaller, less visible pixels when sitting close to a 5K monitor.

In my case, since I prefer going full screen when viewing video, a 27” 4K IMac would still have been better for me. The only issue is they don’t make such an animal. You either get a 21” 4K IMac or a 27” 5K IMac. I wanted the bigger screen real estate and I prefer the MacOS & FCP for editing.
post #33 of 36 Old 12-04-2018, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I actually find the Mac scales text better than Windows. I can’t compare video scaling since displaying 4K video on my 4K Windows screen requires no scaling at all. I’ve always found adhering to the monitor’s native resolution is better than upscaling, regardless of the monitor. Now if I had a 5K Windows monitor than I’d be able to compare video scaling to the 5K IMac.

To answer your question about why have a 5K Mac monitor if you lose sharpness while upscaling, it’s because you have a larger workspace in 5K. Most Mac users don’t scale their 4K video, and this enables them to display the native 4K video while having the space for other work components on the screen at the same time. Most view that as a nice advantage. The other advantage is smaller, less visible pixels when sitting close to a 5K monitor.

In my case, since I prefer going full screen when viewing video, a 27” 4K IMac would still have been better for me. The only issue is they don’t make such an animal. You either get a 21” 4K IMac or a 27” 5K IMac. I wanted the bigger screen real estate and I prefer the MacOS & FCP for editing.
No, macOS cannot scale, preserving resolution. On windows when you scale, text becomes larger, but resolution in terms of the screen's pixels per inch - not the logical font DPI - remains the same, so you get text which is larger, but very smooth, and the display resolution is preserved. On macOS, it simply drops display resolution from, say, 2560×1600 to 1920 x 1200, so the LCD panel has to scale, but LCD cannot really scale unlike CRT. So you lose it two areas at once: you get fewer pixels, and the scaling looks awful because physical pixels on an LCD are huge - and this is why 4K on a 5K monitor looks bad. In short, macOS sucks in this department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 12-05-2018, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
No, macOS cannot scale, preserving resolution. On windows when you scale, text becomes larger, but resolution in terms of the screen's pixels per inch - not the logical font DPI - remains the same, so you get text which is larger, but very smooth, and the display resolution is preserved. On macOS, it simply drops display resolution from, say, 2560×1600 to 1920 x 1200, so the LCD panel has to scale, but LCD cannot really scale unlike CRT. So you lose it two areas at once: you get fewer pixels, and the scaling looks awful because physical pixels on an LCD are huge - and this is why 4K on a 5K monitor looks bad. In short, macOS sucks in this department.
I see no difference in the loss of sharpness upscaling 4K video to 5K on a 5K Mac, as opposed to scaling HD video to 4K on a 4K Windows computer. Both lose sharpness in the upscaling process. The same thing happens upscaling HD on any 4K TV. Sharpness is lost on both, since in both cases you’ve lost the pixel to pixel resolution as you upscale.

However I find text is extremely sharp on my 5K Imac when I view any webpage, such as AVS or any text document. I disagree with you about upscaling on Windows computers. Every Windows computer I’ve ever owned shows a deterioration in font detail as you go beyond the ‘recommended’ scaling that Windows suggests for a given monitor’s resolution. I see no difference in how the Mac or PC handles this.
post #35 of 36 Old 12-18-2018, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
More fodder for the 8k rumors. Leak of an XEVC 8K codec: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-...on-the-a7siii/
post #36 of 36 Old 12-18-2018, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
More fodder for the 8k rumors. Leak of an XEVC 8K codec: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-...on-the-a7siii/

TV At CES 2019: ‘8K Is Getting Real’

Every manufacturer expected to show 8K equipment
http://www.twice.com/industry/tv-ce...tting-real-cta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders