Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-06-2018, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Canon VIXIA HF R800 Redish blur when zoomed in

anybody know is this a defect or just operator error? thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVI_0002.MP4_snapshot_00.15_[2018.11.06_13.15.18].jpg
Views:	17
Size:	546.6 KB
ID:	2478708  
craigo198 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 11-06-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 32,694
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
Canon lenses are known for chromatic aberration. That looks like a classic case of that.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 11-06-2018, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Canon lenses are known for chromatic aberration. That looks like a classic case of that.
thanks but I dont remember my hv20 doing it. At least not that bad...
craigo198 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 11-06-2018, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
so its not a defect then right? Either way I dont like it much.
craigo198 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 11-06-2018, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 32,694
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
Not likely a defect, but rather inherent in many Canon lenses.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 11-06-2018, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P&Struefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigo198 View Post
so its not a defect then right? Either way I dont like it much.
Not a manufacturing or copy defect but a design flaw of the lens itself. If you'd notice you'll see all these redish blurs invariably occur in conjunction with the bright, white-out overexposed spots in the frame so the easiest way to minimize it is to try to underexpose any shot that may contain these white-out specular highlights while you can. The footage would come out darker than you may normally want but this should be the best compromise you could do with such a lens weakness on your camera.

Another way to lessen the problem is do not zoom in too much. This type of lens aberration called chromatic aberration normally manifests itself less the more you stay closer to the wideangle of the zoom. If you have to zoom, try limiting your zoom to 70-80% of the maximum zoom or perhaps less and I guarantee you'll see less of this problem.

One of my camcorders, the 8-year-old Sony CX700E which I still regularly use for casual shoots also exhibits pronounced chromatic aberration when zoomed close towards the tele end and it is very noticeable albeit with a green tinge next to specular highlights in the frame at the maximum zoom position. Luckily for me, this flaw just goes away almost completely when I limit the zoom to about 90% of the max zoom or less.

Hope this helps and happy shooting!
P&Struefan is online now  
post #7 of 11 Old 11-06-2018, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Not a manufacturing or copy defect but a design flaw of the lens itself. If you'd notice you'll see all these redish blurs invariably occur in conjunction with the bright, white-out overexposed spots in the frame so the easiest way to minimize it is to try to underexpose any shot that may contain these white-out specular highlights while you can. The footage would come out darker than you may normally want but this should be the best compromise you could do with such a lens weakness on your camera.

Another way to lessen the problem is do not zoom in too much. This type of lens aberration called chromatic aberration normally manifests itself less the more you stay closer to the wideangle of the zoom. If you have to zoom, try limiting your zoom to 70-80% of the maximum zoom or perhaps less and I guarantee you'll see less of this problem.

One of my camcorders, the 8-year-old Sony CX700E which I still regularly use for casual shoots also exhibits pronounced chromatic aberration when zoomed close towards the tele end and it is very noticeable albeit with a green tinge next to specular highlights in the frame at the maximum zoom position. Luckily for me, this flaw just goes away almost completely when I limit the zoom to about 90% of the max zoom or less.

Hope this helps and happy shooting!
thankyou both. I will experiment with what you said about underexposing and see what happens. I guess I never noticed my hv20 because that was 12x zoom compared to this one's 30x optical zoom.
craigo198 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 11-07-2018, 01:30 AM
Member
 
Cloudstrewn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If you already have footage which you really want to keep, there is software/plugins/filters out there to at least reduce these effects. Search for "chromatic aberration" or "color fringing" with video.

Wonder who makes these lenses for Canon?
Cloudstrewn is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 11-08-2018, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudstrewn View Post
If you already have footage which you really want to keep, there is software/plugins/filters out there to at least reduce these effects. Search for "chromatic aberration" or "color fringing" with video.

Wonder who makes these lenses for Canon?
Ya Ive been searching for tutorials but none of them cover adobe premiere pro. Is there a simple plugin I can use for Ppro?
craigo198 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 11-09-2018, 12:16 AM
Member
 
Cloudstrewn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigo198 View Post
Ya Ive been searching for tutorials but none of them cover adobe premiere pro. Is there a simple plugin I can use for Ppro?
http://aescripts.com/efx-chromatic-aberration/ should be ok
Cloudstrewn is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 11-09-2018, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tugela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 142
The image you showed has classic chromatic aberration, as evidenced by the purple on one side of the highlight and green on the other.

Another issue common with small sensor cameras is light scattering on the beyer filter, which usually manifests itself as purple halos on highlights (this is because the green filters scatter more light and are also more numerous than the red or blue filters. Purple is the complementary color of green, so the scattered light is purple, hence the purple halo). Canon camcorders tend to exhibit this a lot, but you see it to some extent on most small sensor cameras (Rarely on full frame sensor cameras). If you see purple halos without a green counterpart on the other side then it is light scattering that is causing it. People commonly refer to this as chromatic aberration since CA looks similar, but it is actually due to the sensor design.
Tugela is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Camcorders



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off