Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-08-2018, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XAVC vs .H264 file

Hi, if I shoot in UHD 50p, 8bit, 150Mbps, PAL system with my GH5, how have I to export from Edius timeline to get the best image quality? Is it better to export .H264 or or XAVC file? Which of two files give me the best image quality? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxAdriano View Post
Hi, if I shoot in UHD 50p, 8bit, 150Mbps, PAL system with my GH5, how have I to export from Edius timeline to get the best image quality? Is it better to export .H264 or or XAVC file? Which of two files give me the best image quality? Thanks
You are going to have to try them both out. Both are h.264 but within different containers, XAVC is Sony's container, h.264 is the codec to be exported within mov, mp4, mkv and XAVC containers. The containers describe what's within with metadata. But remember this, h.264 describes the method for how a stream is to be decoded so that players, TVs and other devices can decode for playback. How the stream is actually encoded is where there could be qualitative differences. For example, h.264 could be encoded with codecs from MainConcept, Elecard, VLC, QuickTime, x264 to name just a few. You won't necessarily know which brands of codec are included in the NLE library. All the codecs offer unique features and options that could make one better or worse than another for a particular usage. That's why you have to experiment in Edius yourself, to find which one is the best match for your intended file size, bit rate, bit depth, chroma sub sampling, quantization, motion smoothing and supported audio codecs. Edius will probably consolidate the available options into a few, to simplify your choice. So look what options you have within the container, XAVC, MOV, MKV, MP4 etc. The supported audio codecs could be the determinant in your final choice.

For the highest quality implementations it may be necessary to work outside the NLE. x264 has consistently been among the very best encoding codecs for enabling the highest visual quality with the lowest bitrate. The x264 library is often linked within many GUI programs including the most popular one, Handbrake, and compiled binaries of ffmpeg. Lossless encoding is possible with x264 but with high bitrate huge file sizes would result. Lossless is the ultimate expression, but what most people want is a more reasonable accommodation of quality versus bitrate. So that's what you are really looking to compare, which codec option within Edius, mp4, MOV, XAVC is going to have the best visual quality at the intended bitrate considering motion, supported audio codec. Pick a representative scene of just a few seconds, and experiment encoding the scene with the different options to arrive at the one that you feel best accomplishes your goal.

Ken Ross is an Edius user so he may be the best person to put you on a fast track.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS

Last edited by Tom Roper; 11-08-2018 at 12:23 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-08-2018, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxAdriano View Post
Although I live in NTSC land and don't shoot 50p, I've found no visual difference between H264 export and XAVC. If you're using the latest version (9), I think the quality on both is very good and certainly comparable to what I get on FCP X. In one test I did (I can't recall if I was testing H265 or H264, I found the Edius output to be very slightly better when closely examining it on a 77" OLED screen. Of course at any typical viewing distances, these minor differences disappear.

However as Tom suggested, running both exports to determine for yourself is the best way. Simply encode & export a short, 1 minute timeline, with significant detail, and see what if any difference you can see. It takes no time to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-08-2018, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You are right there are no significant differences between XAVC and .H264 files. I did that test.
Today I got Nvidia Shield TV and I immediately installed Kodi. But I got horrendous colors when I watched my videos. The colours are very cold. I need to warm them. I'm not able to understand why I have this problem. If I use another software MX Player Pro I see them in the right way. I attach the MediaInfo - Metadata of my latest documentary with vision problems. Maybe is it better I export in a different way from Edius 9 timeline? Or maybe do I have to set Kodi better? Thanks for your help.

Generale
Nome completo : D:\La bassa valle dell'Omo (4K)100M.mp4
Formato : MPEG-4
Profilo formato : JVT
ID codec : avc1 (avc1/mp42)
Dimensione : 24,1 GiB
Durata : 34 min 25s
Modo bitrate generale : Costante
Bitrate totale : 100 Mb/s
Data codifica : UTC 2018-11-08 21:47:28
Data : UTC 2018-11-08 21:47:28

Video
ID : 1
Formato : AVC
Formato/Informazioni : Advanced Video Codec
Profilo formato : High@L5.2
Impostazioni formato : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Impostazioni formato, CABAC : Si
Impostazioni formato, RefFrames : 2 frame
ID codec : avc1
ID codec/Informazioni : Advanced Video Coding
Modalità bitrate : Costante
Bitrate : 100,0 Mb/s
Larghezza : 3.840 pixel
Altezza : 2.160 pixel
Rapporto aspetto visualizzazione : 16:9
Modalità frame rate : Costante
Frame rate : 50,000 FPS
Standard : Component
Spazio colore : YUV
Croma subsampling : 4:2:0
Profondità bit : 8 bit
Tipo scansione : Progressivo
Bit/(pixel*frame) : 0.241
Dimensione della traccia : 24,0 GiB (100%)
Lingua : Inglese
colour_range : Limited
Colori primari : BT.709
Caratteristiche trasferimento : BT.709
Coefficienti matrici : BT.709
Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
ID : 2
Formato : AAC LC
Formato/Informazioni : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
ID codec : mp4a-40-2
Durata sorgente : 34 min 25s
Modalità bitrate : Costante
Bitrate : 384 kb/s
Canali : 2 canali
Channel layout : L R
Frequenza campionamento : 48,0 kHz
Frame rate : 46,875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Modo compressione : Con perdita
Dimensione della traccia : 94,6MiB (0%)
Dim. flusso sorgente : 94,6MiB (0%)
Lingua : Inglese

Last edited by FoxAdriano; 11-08-2018 at 05:03 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-09-2018, 04:55 AM

I’m not sure I’m following this. Are you saying the colors out of the camera are accurate, but there is a dramatic shift to a cooler color palette in the editing process? If so, I’ve never seen that. It would be easier to understand the color errors originating from improper camera settings.

If you’re not adding LUTs or transforming color space, Edius shouldn’t alter the colors. I suppose the colors might be altered by the players you’re using or the display not interpreting the signal correctly.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-09-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I’m not sure I’m following this. Are you saying the colors out of the camera are accurate, but there is a dramatic shift to a cooler color palette in the editing process? If so, I’ve never seen that. It would be easier to understand the color errors originating from improper camera settings.

If you’re not adding LUTs or transforming color space, Edius shouldn’t alter the colors. I suppose the colors might be altered by the players you’re using or the display not interpreting the signal correctly.

It sounds like the player parameters are different.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-09-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
It sounds like the player parameters are different.
That would be my guess too and the most likely issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders