AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
Mark,

I admire your quest for the technical perfection of the video art form. We've been on opposite sides of this fence before. You do a very good job of keeping this forum focused on whatever is the newest forward nudge of technology.

I will indeed continue my search for knowledge and skill at "story-telling.com".

I apologize if I've diluted the focus of your forum.

Bill
I am sorry, but you missed the point, especially if you think we are on opposite sides. Technology is not a substitute for storytelling, it is an enhancement of the story. It is not about "technical perfection." It is about expanding creative options. Higher resolution is a technical advancement or 422 or 10bit. They are good, but not the point. What I was talking about was technology that makes your videos more interesting and makes your story come across better, technology that allows you to do different things that can enhance a story. Shallow dof is not "technical perfection", it guides the viewer to what the story teller thinks is important for the viewer to see. Camera motion adds interest, unless it is unwanted motion (shake), in which case technology allows you to avoid distracting motion. Video is a visual medium. You can shoot someone reading your story out load from a tripod.

Or you can do a lot more.

What technology advancement has done is make video storytelling much more creative for people who have limited budgets and limited time. For example, no more need for tripods, or gimbals, given new technologies - frees up the shooter a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 11-21-2018, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
......Clearly the consensus is that all phones are so terrible at video, that even thinking about that capability is a waste.
Not really terrible but it could be disappointing if you are not aware of some limiting weaknesses as Mark mentions that could manifest themselves in your footage. With practice you could avoid or lessen the effects of some of them but I have found sometimes you'd be better off using a real video camera. This argument is really not much different from that of interchangeable lens mirrorless or DSLR cameras against real video camcorders. You just have to bear in mind where they could disappoint you.

That being said, I sometimes think the tradeoffs like the lack of zooming or variable recording framerates is worth it if I can stabilize (via Google Photos), edit the footage and export the finished videos, online and offline, right on the spot and on that same single, pocketable device.
markr041 likes this.
post #33 of 36 Old 11-22-2018, 12:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Always, somebody points out that story is most important. But if you study film, you can easily see that more money is spent getting interesting shots than is spent on the script. Just study a movie and count the variety of shots, and ask how many can you can do with a cell phone alone.
Besides story, it is acting (for feature films), lightning, blocking, dialog, music. The camera is close to the last place. I don't care what they are spending money for. I hate these 2+ hr meaningless superhero sagas. You can shoot on greenscreen and render shallow-DOF background if you want.

Modern cameras, even cheap ones, even built into smartphones, are good enough that they can simply be not brought into discussion. Which is why I am a rare visitor here lately, it does not really matter, in fact it did not matter for at least 15 years now: DV, HD or 4K, they all are good enough, head and shoulders above an 8mm silent camera. It is about other stuff now. I am not building them, so I cannot take pride in simply owning a super-duper camera, in fact it puts me down just like driving a luxury car, because I did not build it, so I cannot be proud simply of driving it. Maybe I am getting old and thinking about legacy...

Last edited by Ungermann; 11-22-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 11-22-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
Quote:
Ken,

No question you are right that all video will be better if shot with cameras intended for video.

The purpose of me asking my question may not have been clear enough.

Since I'm close to having to buy a new phone, I thought there might be feedback on phones that might be the best they can be at image making. Clearly the consensus is that all phones are so terrible at video, that even thinking about that capability is a waste.

Bill
Bill, not at all. In fact I think it’s remarkable that cellphone cameras have gotten as good as they are. I think Mark simply elaborated on what I had originally said about a dedicated camera doing a better job.

However, as I said before, even if you’re in the market for a new phone, any of the top tier phones will have an excellent camera. Personally I’d be more concerned with battery life, Android vs IOS, screen technology and other things associated with the actual functionality of the phone. IMO you’ll see more differences in those features than you will the camera.
post #35 of 36 Old 11-22-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 496
The first smartphone with 4K UHD was the Samsung Note 3 in 2013 that had video quality better than almost any consumer camera at the time.
post #36 of 36 Old 11-22-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders