8Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 11-16-2018, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Shopping for a new phone

I haven't posted here for awhile! I got sidetracked by some other interests!

Looks like I might be looking for a new cell phone. I've not been paying attention. Anyone have some favorite Android choices?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-16-2018, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Looks like I might be looking for a new cell phone. I've not been paying attention. Anyone have some favorite Android choices?

Bill
I have Samsung s8 and recently bought an apple iphone xs. because facebook 3d portrait photo only works on iphone w dual camera.

note: will not work w internet explorer.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/Photos3D/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/3dphotographs/

I gave it to my kid to try and he prefer the iphone xs. cause it has faster processor and his fortnight and other games loads faster.

also, i have gorpo fusion 360 which only works on selected android phone and mine is an asia version so fusion apps does not work. but i use desktop to render

http://gopro.com/help/articles/bloc...ported-devices

i am now using Samsung s8 cause it cames with dual simm card slot. and can use external memory if i remove the 2nd simm. iphone xs have dual simm but its not really two physical simm but one is esimm.

also, Samsung and iphone have blue screen filter.

just sharing

Last edited by spyker1212; 11-17-2018 at 01:14 AM.
post #3 of 36 Old 11-17-2018, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I've never opted in to the Apple kingdom so am leaning toward Samsungs and Pixels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 11-17-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Bill
If you are looking for something that can take good stills, anything but mural sized prints, any phone would do nowadays. Good video is a lot harder. Budget phones generally shoot poor video and there are surprisingly vast differences in both features and image quality for mid-rangers up to the high-ends. I suggest one of the Pixels of either the current or previous generation if you want to save money because they are more or less the same in both video and stills. If the emphasis is on video and not stills and you want to save a lot of money, the best one I have ever used is Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 but the naming convention for Xiaomi phones for different markets is very confusing so you have to get the specs exactly right otherwise you could possibly buy a wrong phone. This particular model has 5.99" 18:9 LCD screen, no screen notch with the fingerprint scanner on the back, Snapdragon 636 chipset, 4,000 mAh battery that can last 2 days, and two back cameras with excellent phase detection AF and lined up vertically like the cameras on the iPhone X. The best thing about this phone is it costs only around US$170-200 in Asia. I think you can get it from Amazon or eBay in the US. I got this phone just for shooting video and it hasn't disappointed. It works surprisingly well with a free video app such as Open Camera that enables this great cheapo of a phone to shoot 4K/30p video with a super stable EIS like the much more expensive Pixels, smooth and reliable AF, and with excellent IQ too.

IMO cellphones nowadays are almost like a commodity. One phone generally can't perform most of the key functions any better than another though if you pay more you normally get something with more bells and whistles that may be useful only for some people but not for you. Better save up the money to buy your next video camera!
post #5 of 36 Old 11-17-2018, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Red Hydrogen 1
post #6 of 36 Old 11-17-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 496
post #7 of 36 Old 11-17-2018, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Never liked Samsungs. I had an HTC and two LGs.
post #8 of 36 Old 11-18-2018, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One cool thing about using phones to take pictures or video and not cameras, you don't have to wait too long to play with something different. It was not that long ago when phones began to have two cameras on the back instead of one. Now major manufacturers like Samsung who obviously didn't want to be outdone by Huawei & Cos. took just a few more months to come out with a phone with three cameras on the back. Hardly a month later they launched another phone with 4 cameras (only on the back and I can't even remember how many it has on the front). No, this seems not to be the end yet. Nokia is rumored to launch its new flagship called Nokia 9 that will have 5 cameras on the back, arranged in a circular pattern to utilize an also new feature of combining two sets of optical lenses placed on two sandwiched rotary plates in order to achieve several focal lengths while using (externally) only half the number of cameras.

However, if there was anything such as "smartness per one camera" index, the best phones hands down would surely be Google Pixels. They all use only one camera each on the back but what it can do often trumps those whole horde of cameras and then some.

Last edited by P&Struefan; 11-18-2018 at 06:00 PM.
post #9 of 36 Old 11-18-2018, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2920 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
google pixel owners in my family love them. my wife who was 5 yr apple user loves her galaxy 9 s+ and I still use my lil apple se...new phones come out for samsung in less than 6 months.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #10 of 36 Old 11-19-2018, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
.... If the emphasis is on video and not stills and you want to save a lot of money, the best one I have ever used is Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 but the naming convention for Xiaomi phones for different markets is very confusing so you have to get the specs exactly right otherwise you could possibly buy a wrong phone. ....

IMO cellphones nowadays are almost like a commodity. ...
Thanks. I'll look for that phone. But, probably will be restricted to Verizon choices due to the "family plan".

For stills the phone I have isn't at all bad. Only gripe is that with age it has slowed down and is running out of space.
post #11 of 36 Old 11-19-2018, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Joe,

The RED phone is not on my list. The Pixel 3's are. Nice to see his point of view.
jogiba likes this.
post #12 of 36 Old 11-19-2018, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
Never liked Samsungs. I had an HTC and two LGs.
I may be the only one on the planet that has had a single phone and it is a Samsung. I don't know any different!
post #13 of 36 Old 11-19-2018, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
.......However, if there was anything such as "smartness per one camera" index, the best phones hands down would surely be Google Pixels. They all use only one camera each on the back but what it can do often trumps those whole horde of cameras and then some.
I'll go get a Pixel demo. Thanks.
post #14 of 36 Old 11-19-2018, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
google pixel owners in my family love them. my wife who was 5 yr apple user loves her galaxy 9 s+ and I still use my lil apple se...new phones come out for samsung in less than 6 months.
Thanks. I actually like my "old" Samsung enough to consider buying a current version.
post #15 of 36 Old 11-19-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Thanks. I actually like my "old" Samsung enough to consider buying a current version.
I have one phone, the Samsung S8. I don't buy a phone to take video or pictures, but to be a phone. But I do use it to view HDR videos in HDR and to let others view HDR videos. Which it does well.
post #16 of 36 Old 11-19-2018, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The LG V40 has a MQA capable quad DAC and is by far the best sounding phone if you listen via headphones.

Marantz SR6012
Emotiva XPA3 Gen3
Oppo UDP 203
Panasonic TC-P50GT30 Plasma
B&W CM9 S2 Fronts, CC6 Center, WP1 Sides & Rears, ASW 3000 Sub
post #17 of 36 Old 11-19-2018, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I have been using a Pixel 2 XL for the past year and recommend it highly. With a Pixel you can get on the Project Fi network which is the very best carrier since it uses three different networks.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #18 of 36 Old 11-19-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjenkins View Post
The LG V40 has a MQA capable quad DAC and is by far the best sounding phone if you listen via headphones.
My LG V20 has the same quad DAC and is the last flagship smartphone with removable battery so you could carry a spare or use a 10800 mAh battery .

my LG V20 with 10800 mAh battery :

My LG V20 has Android 8.0 Oreo OS and 200GB Sandisk card in it.
post #19 of 36 Old 11-20-2018, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7026 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
It’s interesting that these new cellphones generate this much discussion here. I know that many/most people outside of AVS use cellphones to shoot videos, but honestly, are there many people on AVS (generally video enthusiasts) that use these phones for video with any degree of regularity?

I used to obsess over the camera specs and would watch numerous sample videos shot from any phone that I was seriously considering. Then one day it dawned on me (maybe I’m a slow learner ), I almost never use these things. Sure, if I don’t have my main camera with me that’s one thing, but if my intent is to go out and shoot video am I reaching for my A7iii or my IPhone X? That’s a no-brainer for me.

So now when I’m considering a phone, I barely care about the phone’s camera capability. In fact, if I do use the phone’s camera it’s invariably for a still shot. I’m more concerned about the phone’s screen, OS, battery life, etc...things I use and interact with every day.
markr041, jogiba and bsprague like this.
post #20 of 36 Old 11-20-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Well i am probobly the only person on earth who has only had one mobile and it does not even take stills.
post #21 of 36 Old 11-20-2018, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I mostly use my LG V20 for stills like this shot.

Ken Ross and bsprague like this.
post #22 of 36 Old 11-20-2018, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As you can see the pictures these phones take mostly satisfy not only the majority of people out there but also video shooters like us. Not so with the nitpickers who shoot with their Nikon D850 or Canon 5DSR and the likes and often work with only raw files in Adobe Photoshop. If you go to Flickr or Dpreview sites, not Instagram, you'll see what I mean. I think the situation is more or less the same about video.
post #23 of 36 Old 11-20-2018, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2920 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
for those that print large photos a phone just wont cut it....even an old nikon d700 will crush any cell phone pics for prints...if ya dont print big and just share online a cellphone is all ya need.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #24 of 36 Old 11-20-2018, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
It’s interesting that these new cellphones generate this much discussion here. I know that many/most people outside of AVS use cellphones to shoot videos, but honestly, are there many people on AVS (generally video enthusiasts) that use these phones for video with any degree of regularity?

I used to obsess over the camera specs and would watch numerous sample videos shot from any phone that I was seriously considering. Then one day it dawned on me (maybe I’m a slow learner ), I almost never use these things. Sure, if I don’t have my main camera with me that’s one thing, but if my intent is to go out and shoot video am I reaching for my A7iii or my IPhone X? That’s a no-brainer for me.

So now when I’m considering a phone, I barely care about the phone’s camera capability. In fact, if I do use the phone’s camera it’s invariably for a still shot. I’m more concerned about the phone’s screen, OS, battery life, etc...things I use and interact with every day.
Ken,

I thought the same for a long time. Then last spring I went on a motorhome rally with a dozen others. It was a trip down the west coast going to all the historic lighthouses. We started near the Canadian border and ended up in the Redwoods. One woman, after seeing me and my camera shooting video, announced she was going to make the trip into a documentary using nothing but her iPhone. She shot, edited, annotated, etc. For a travelog, the result was stunning. Granted she had a Hollywood background and knew a little about story telling. Nonetheless, the phone, in her hands, did the job very well.

The point is that in buying a new phone, I will not ignore video or photographic capabilities. I would like to learn some of her skills.

Bill
post #25 of 36 Old 11-21-2018, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Perhaps i should have said i think my wifes mob/cell takes better stills than my GH5 never been impressed with those.
post #26 of 36 Old 11-21-2018, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7026 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
Quote:
Ken,

I thought the same for a long time. Then last spring I went on a motorhome rally with a dozen others. It was a trip down the west coast going to all the historic lighthouses. We started near the Canadian border and ended up in the Redwoods. One woman, after seeing me and my camera shooting video, announced she was going to make the trip into a documentary using nothing but her iPhone. She shot, edited, annotated, etc. For a travelog, the result was stunning. Granted she had a Hollywood background and knew a little about story telling. Nonetheless, the phone, in her hands, did the job very well.

The point is that in buying a new phone, I will not ignore video or photographic capabilities. I would like to learn some of her skills.

Bill
Bill, yes, it is about story telling, but as good a job as I’m sure she did, I bet it would still have been better with a camera better suited for the purpose.

At this point in cellphone camera development, I’m comfortable almost ignoring that aspect of the phone because they’re all so good. I think it’s impossible to buy a top tier phone with a less than excellent camera. So when I couple that fact with the awareness I’ll rarely use it, the camera drops to near the bottom of my list of cellphone concerns.
post #27 of 36 Old 11-21-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
for those that print large photos a phone just wont cut it....even an old nikon d700 will crush any cell phone pics for prints...if ya dont print big and just share online a cellphone is all ya need.
Is that a joke or what ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/110846...57703866971835

Last edited by jogiba; 11-21-2018 at 12:54 PM.
post #28 of 36 Old 11-21-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 372
No again

Quote:
Ken,

Bill
No, not this again. Yes, a creative person can make a good video with just about anything. But better equipment gives you *more* creative options.

Here are examples of what a phone stops you from doing:

1. Shalllow dof shots.

2. Shots with wide dynamic range.

3. Dim light, nightime shots.

4. Moving with the camera while shooting.

5. Zooming (without visible and distracting degradation).

6. Candids of people, which require long lenses.

7. Smooth motion due to cfr (cell phones have vfr, or most do).

And no HDR video, which is really, really good.

See any movie, and you will see 1-6 used multiple times. Can you do without them? sure. And it's fun to shoot with something simple, even the challenge of doing that. I enjoy making videos with an action cam, but it can actually do many things that a cell phone cannot. But ultimately it is limiting.

Always, somebody points out that story is most important. But if you study film, you can easily see that more money is spent getting interesting shots than is spent on the script. Just study a movie and count the variety of shots, and ask how many can you can do with a cell phone alone. Not even counting the drone shots...

If you want to emphasize story-telling, go to story-telling.com, not camcorder.com.
Ken Ross likes this.

Last edited by markr041; 11-21-2018 at 12:50 PM.
post #29 of 36 Old 11-21-2018, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
No, not this again. Yes, a creative person can make a good video with just about anything. But better equipment gives you *more* creative options.

Here are examples of what a phone stops you from doing:

1. Shalllow dof shots.

2. Shots with wide dynamic range.

3. Dim light, nightime shots.

4. Moving with the camera while shooting.

5. Zooming (without visible and distracting degradation).

6. Candids of people, which require long lenses.

7. Smooth motion due to cfr (cell phones have vfr, or most do).

And no HDR video, which is really, really good.

See any movie, and you will see 1-6 used multiple times. Can you do without them? sure. And it's fun to shoot with something simple, even the challenge of doing that. I enjoy making videos with an action cam, but it can actually do many things that a cell phone cannot. But ultimately it is limiting.

Always, somebody points out that story is most important. But if you study film, you can easily see that more money is spent getting interesting shots than is spent on the script. Just study a movie and count the variety of shots, and ask how many can you can do with a cell phone alone. Not even counting the drone shots...

If you want to emphasize story-telling, go to story-telling.com, not camcorder.com.
Mark,

I admire your quest for the technical perfection of the video art form. We've been on opposite sides of this fence before. You do a very good job of keeping this forum focused on whatever is the newest forward nudge of technology.

I will indeed continue my search for knowledge and skill at "story-telling.com".

I apologize if I've diluted the focus of your forum.

Bill
post #30 of 36 Old 11-21-2018, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Bill, yes, it is about story telling, but as good a job as I’m sure she did, I bet it would still have been better with a camera better suited for the purpose.

At this point in cellphone camera development, I’m comfortable almost ignoring that aspect of the phone because they’re all so good. I think it’s impossible to buy a top tier phone with a less than excellent camera. So when I couple that fact with the awareness I’ll rarely use it, the camera drops to near the bottom of my list of cellphone concerns.
Ken,

No question you are right that all video will be better if shot with cameras intended for video.

The purpose of me asking my question may not have been clear enough.

Since I'm close to having to buy a new phone, I thought there might be feedback on phones that might be the best they can be at image making. Clearly the consensus is that all phones are so terrible at video, that even thinking about that capability is a waste.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders