• 1 Post By jogiba

post #1 of 12 Old 11-23-2018, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7657
The confusion over sensor size

I’m not sure if anyone has seen this guy before, but I find him very funny. That may just mean I have a warped sense of humor. Give him a try on this video where he discusses the confusion of sensor size. There is some colorful language, so if that kind of thing offends you, pass on this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-23-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Why is he wearing a leopard skin dress?
post #3 of 12 Old 11-23-2018, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
Why is he wearing a leopard skin dress?
Watch the video. ;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-23-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Long, boring, not funny. Maybe if I smoked some weed first...

Videos like this have paternalistic undertones: "You are too stupid to understand it in proper terms, so I will be talking to you like to a 3-yr old baby". No, thank you. And if I wanted actual humor, I would listen to something more pertinent, like:

Last edited by Ungermann; 11-23-2018 at 06:25 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-23-2018, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
Long, boring, not funny. Maybe if I smoked some weed first...

Videos like this have paternalistic undertones: "You are too stupid to understand it in proper terms, so I will be talking to you like to a 3-yr old baby". No, thank you. And if I wanted actual humor, I would listen to something more pertinent, like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtK_YsVInw8
Wow, you really don’t get his humor, that’s obvious. You couldn’t be further from the truth with your assessment. The funny thing is his style is really not much different from Carlin’s, but OK, he’s not your cup of tea.
unretarded likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-24-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The funny thing is his style is really not much different from Carlin’s
I like standups where words and phrases hit me as if I am being attacked with a verbal machine gun. All the jokes, the puns, the innuendos, they pile up, and there is no time to stop, take a breath and recover, no time to analyze, so the response is brewing gradually to the point you cannot longer contain it. Carlin was one of the very few standup actors (cannot call his stuff comedy, it is usually satire, which is why I prefer old Carlin to young Carlin) who could do that. He was a true master, he crafted his monologues meticulously.

I don't like sloooooow pace. If it is presented slower than I can read it, I'd rather read it.

As for the guy you linked to, I presume the appeal of the video comes from his purported inability to calculate a simple fraction. Yes, I'd rather have these numbers in millimeters, much simpler. Just like I'd rather have my tools in millimeters, I mean I can convert two fractions to a common denominator, but really why should I bother doing this, choosing between 3/16 or 5/32 drill bit? The Imperial system is idiocy, but this not the only crazy choice this country has made. So I have no problem figuring out that 1/2.3 is smaller than 1/1.7. His monologue is supposed to be funny to those who have no shame to say "I am not good at math" despite spending 12 freaking years at school, and then possibly 4 more years at college.

All in all, his piece is boring, not funny, and caters to the large cohort of the Americans who cannot calculate 15% tip without using a calculator. Shame.

P.S. He said he could imagine an inch, but the actual sensor size of a 1-inch camera is not 1 inch: The common 1-inch circular video camera tubes have a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size is a 1-inch video tube equivalent. But who cares at this point.

If you want a fun video, here is one:

or this:

Last edited by Ungermann; 11-24-2018 at 11:51 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-24-2018, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I think where you’re going wrong, is the thought that he and/or his audience doesn’t understand this. They do, I do, he does. This is what he does in most of his videos. It’s his style and why, if you read the comments below his video, his followers find him funny. He drills down to the absurd.

The bottom line is that you can’t ‘tell’ someone that a joke or a comedian is funny. Either an individual finds the joke or person funny or they don’t. Comedy is a very individual thing. I liked Carlin, but many people I know didn’t. I like Jackie Mason, some don’t.

My only intent in posting this was to give some people a laugh for a shared interest many of us have. It didn’t work for you, such is life. BTW, a ‘fun video’ is not a funny video.
jogiba and unretarded like this.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-25-2018, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I watch some of his videos Ken for a good laugh . BTW sometimes I like the small sensors for a deep DOF in shots like this :

Nikon P1000 @ 433mm eqiv. F5

Sony A7r @ 200mm F4
Ken Ross likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-25-2018, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Joe, which of those two shots more closely depicts what your eye saw. There is a huge difference in the saturation levels. Not having been there, and judging from what I can see in flesh tones, I'd say the Sony looks more accurate.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-26-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Joe, which of those two shots more closely depicts what your eye saw. There is a huge difference in the saturation levels. Not having been there, and judging from what I can see in flesh tones, I'd say the Sony looks more accurate.
Ken, it was 100% sunny on the day I shot with the P1000 and it was set to vivid picture mode and the Sony A7r was in natural mode without the hard lighting. I am sure I could match the Sony color with the P1000 since it has the same amount of settings including Nikon RAW (NRW) but I just leave it on vivid jpeg and make adjustments to get it the way I want.

Last edited by jogiba; 11-26-2018 at 08:09 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Joe. I was just guessing the Sony was closer to reality. Most cameras set to 'vivid' mode will embellish the colors & saturation. The Sony set to 'natural' mode tends to actually subdue saturation which some people like. So the way those 2 cameras were set would generally result in exactly what you posted, a big difference in saturation.
jogiba likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-26-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ken, I use P1000 vivid setting for my Facebook image posts since Facebook images have saturation turned down foe some reason.
Ken Ross likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders