Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-04-2018, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Canon GX10 for one person run & gun documentary project?

Hello everybody,

My name is Sasha, and I'm about to go to Japan to shoot a documentary about tourists.
I'm planning to run into people spontaneously and ask them questions, and I'm looking to buy a reliable camera that can suite this purpose.
I think that I must have a good autofocus system and a decent stabilization, cause most of the shots will be handheld.

After a long research and hours of watching sample footage from different cameras I came down to these 3 options:

Canon GX10 4K
Panasonic GH5 + 12+35 2.8
(I don't like the sony's color science and the over sharpness).

In a way I'm more attracted to go with the Canon camcorder, because of the form factor, the colors (I LOVE CANON COLORS), and the shooting style (P&S + smooth zooming) which looks a bit like home video/wildlife show, which is good for me. Canon GX10's 150mbps 4k files look really nice to me (not too big not to small) and the sharpness is much more pleasant than in the Sony cameras.
I don't really need the 4K, cause the film will be in HD - but Canon's HD looks very poor! so I though to shoot everything in 4K and then downscale it.
From what I understood, GH5 has not such a great Autofocus but the VLOG factor, which honestly is less important for me. but it looks that this camera gives you sooo many great features for the buck that it's very tempting to buy!

I don't have a chance to try the Canon GX10 before buying it, here in Israel there is no market for these cameras. I have an opportunity to buy in US though (2000$).
There is not many reviews and information about this camera in the internet, looks like it's not so popular.

I would really like to hear your opinion about this Canon GX10, and whether you think it will suite my purpose or not.
I need a reliable tool that I can trust and that won't need to deal with too much in the field, because i need to concentrate on the interactions with humans (:

Thank you in advance,
Sasha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-04-2018, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Tamarin View Post
My name is Sasha, and I'm about to go to Japan to shoot a documentary about tourists.
I'm planning to run into people spontaneously and ask them questions
Asking the Japanese spontaneous questions... Dunno. I haven't been to Japan, but judging by what other people say, that may not work out as you expect. Do you at least know Japanese?
Quote:
and I'm looking to buy a reliable camera that can suite this purpose.
Sure, when you run into people, the camera must withstand the impact. Aluminum or magnesium are probably better than plastic.
Quote:
After a long research and hours of watching sample footage from different cameras I came down to these 3 options:

Canon GX10 4K
Panasonic GH5 + 12+35 2.8
(I don't like the sony's color science and the over sharpness).
I presume "no Sony" is the third option?
Quote:
I need a reliable tool that I can trust and that won't need to deal with too much in the field, because i need to concentrate on the interactions with humans (:
I would just go on eBay and buy something like the HF100 for $50, but that's me.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-2018, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 128
If you plan to have only HD videos you can spend far less and get decent HD (up to 60p) footage rather than buying this overpriced Canon. Your options could be one of the older Canon or Panasonic HD camcorders for around US$600-1K, most of which shoot good HD video with smooth camcorder zooming and good stabilization. Spending less also means you have money left over to buy a good shotgun microphone that will be crucial for the kind of street interviews you mention. Rode Videomic Micro is the best in the market hands down I have used for the money if all you have on the camcorder or camera you get is a 3.5mm microphone jack and not XLRs. If you want a more sensitive mic with external battery power (the Rode Micro draws power from the camera), the Rode Videomic Pro+ and some cheaper alternatives from brands like Azden and Saramonic should be more than usable too. I guarantee they'd be better than the internal microphone.

I often use my cheap tiny plasticky Sony shotgun ECM-GZ1M on my Sony camcorders to record people's voices, dialogs and interviews from a close distant. For about US$70, it sounds better than the omnidirectional mic on the camcorders 10 times out of 10. It only works on Sony cameras with the proprietary hot shoe, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Canon HD on camcorders is more like 720p than 1080p in terms of resolution. Also, the older camcorders have small sensors which are prone to purple fringing on highlights due to light scattering on the beyer filter. The GX10 has a one inch sensor so that should be less of an issue with it. It also has a DPAF, so it should be capable of focus tracking effectively, much more so than the older camcorders. If someone really wanted a camcorder, the GX10 is probably not a bad bet. The 4K footage from it is significantly softer than most other 4K capable cameras, but that is probably not a concern if the output is going to be downscaled to 1080p in post. It can also shoot 4K at 60p, which most 4K capable cameras cannot.

Personally I think it is expensive for what you get, but if you really wanted a camcorder form factor it is probably OK. Physically the camera is quite similar to my old G30, and I had no handling issues with that camera, it was easy and convenient to use. The main thing I did not like was the IQ, the low resolution and purple highlights were disappointing. That should be less of an issue with the GX10 though.

I would suggest that the OP look on YouTube and other video sites for clips recorded in 4K or HD, and see if what is produced is to their liking. Probably not a whole lot of people have them since most consumers use stills cameras for shooting video nowdays. I expect that it is used mostly by semi-pros shooting events.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-06-2018, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks + more questions

Hello all and thanks for your replies.

It feels a bit stupid to buy the GX10 while intending to downscale the 4k to FHD, but it really seems that G30/40/21 HD is much softer (and also the compression quality looks poorer) than the downscaled 4K footage from the GX10. Is it correct or it's only in my mind?
Are there camera camcorders that just create higher quality (more Mbps) HD video?
The downside of the GX10 are all the fans, form and weight factors (looks way bulkier and 1lbs heavier than the G40) and also the battery life that's disappointing.

I must admit that there is a charm in the softness of G40 footage, it looks more cinematic to me (Werner Herzog's early documentaries etc.), but I have a FOMO and a fear that people today won't appreciate such a quality decision.

What do you think?
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2018, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe somebody can send me via wetransfer some raw footage from the G30/40 cameras? I don't want to rely on youtube with its conversion.
spantan -at- gmail.com
Thanks a lot!
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Hello all and thanks for your replies.

It feels a bit stupid to buy the GX10 while intending to downscale the 4k to FHD, but it really seems that G30/40/21 HD is much softer (and also the compression quality looks poorer) than the downscaled 4K footage from the GX10. Is it correct or it's only in my mind?
Are there camera camcorders that just create higher quality (more Mbps) HD video?
The downside of the GX10 are all the fans, form and weight factors (looks way bulkier and 1lbs heavier than the G40) and also the battery life that's disappointing.

I must admit that there is a charm in the softness of G40 footage, it looks more cinematic to me (Werner Herzog's early documentaries etc.), but I have a FOMO and a fear that people today won't appreciate such a quality decision.

What do you think?
Well i once owned a Canon G30 and the downscaled HD from all the 4K cams and cameras i have owned is vastly superior to HD from the G30.Chris Hull
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders