post #5611 of 5778 Old 12-23-2018, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked: 3024
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal250 View Post
Hi p5browne. Just for ****s and giggles I compared my calibration data to those in your last attachment. My 2 point and 10 point white balance settings are extremely different than yours, however, my color space values are extremely similar. Where you have a backlight setting of 6, I have mine at 4. Where you have contrast at 96, I once had this set at 95 and then lowered it to 86 as a result of using the spears and munsil clipping test pattern. I'm posting this simply for your reference.
Contrast and Brightness settings are gotten by running the Dynamic Range workflow in Calman.
RGB ALL have to be on the Yellow line. Usually if off the line, it's because of misalignment in either the Grayscale, or CMS, or both.
Once calibrated all back on the line. S & M Blu-ray II B & C are not as accurate, close, but not right on the Dynamic Range workflow.
Backlight comes down to whether you need sunglasses to watch or not. Factory default of 7 was OK, but unit has gotten brighter as the hours of use have gone on it. 6 about right with me. Usually Contrast being at 86, something else is out of alignment, or you have setting that is different from mine.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)

Last edited by p5browne; 12-23-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5778 Old 12-24-2018, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Contrast and Brightness settings are gotten by running the Dynamic Range workflow in Calman.
RGB ALL have to be on the Yellow line. Usually if off the line, it's because of misalignment in either the Grayscale, or CMS, or both.
Once calibrated all back on the line. S & M Blu-ray II B & C are not as accurate, close, but not right on the Dynamic Range workflow.
Backlight comes down to whether you need sunglasses to watch or not. Factory default of 7 was OK, but unit has gotten brighter as the hours of use have gone on it. 6 about right with me. Usually Contrast being at 86, something else is out of alignment, or you have setting that is different from mine.
Hi p5browne. As I mentioned in my post on the 12th, my set was last calibrated October 29, 2016. I don't deny that another calibration would likely result in some current settings being tweaked. Thing is the set does look spectacular. That is my subjective opinion, of course.

The set was originally calibrated by Kevin Miller. I watched what he did, and didn't notice anything specific he did for contrast. I don't even recall if he lowered it to 95 or if I did. I too would say my unit has gotten a bit brighter over time. I know I could just lower the backlight a notch, but because I have the SM disk, I thought I'd check the contrast for white clipping.

To your point "Contrast being at 86, something else is out of alignment, or you have setting that is different from mine" I do have settings that are different. No two units will have the same settings, hence the reason one may not simply copy/use someone else's settings.

I left all of Kevin's original calibration settings alone, even after all the firmware updates. I just lowered the contrast a bit (is 86 really that much different than say 100?) and frankly whatever difference there is appears subtle to me. I grant you the SM disk is likely not as precise as the calman software (which Kevin used). In your opinion, does lowering contrast to 86 (from say 100, or 95 in my case) mean that other calibrated settings are no longer as correct as they would be if left at 100 or 95?

I'd like to avoid another calibration because of cost. I do not have a colorimeter, software or the knowledge to do one. This is why I hired Kevin. It looks so good now that I can't imagine how much better it could possibly look. Thoughts?
post #5613 of 5778 Old 12-24-2018, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Diy

Download Calman Free of charge (just fill in some info), and run thru the tutorials. You can't actually scan with a meter, but it will give you an idea as to how the program works.
If you decide to become a DIYer, you can pick up a package deal with Spectracal, or purchase Calman Enthusiast, an i1Display Pro, plus an Amazon Fire Stick (Basic or 4K) (download the Mobile Forge App for SDR patterns), and possibly an inexpensive but good tripod. Masciola has HDR patterns you can purchase for a reasonable price.

http://calman.spectracal.com/downloads.html (Home Enthusiast)

http://01900888.com/forum/139-d...-patterns.html

Note: calibrating with patterns on a USB stick, sets up the settings for the USB and Apps, NOT the HDMI Inputs.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's

Last edited by p5browne; 12-24-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5614 of 5778 Old 12-24-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Download Calman Free of charge (just fill in some info), and run thru the tutorials. You can't actually scan with a meter, but it will give you an idea as to how the program works.
If you decide to become a DIYer, you can pick up a package deal with Spectracal, or purchase Calman Enthusiast, an i1Display Pro, plus an Amazon Fire Stick (Basic or 4K) (download the Mobile Forge App for SDR patterns), and possibly an inexpensive but good tripod. Masciola has HDR patterns you can purchase for a reasonable price.

http://calman.spectracal.com/downloads.html (Home Enthusiast)

http://01900888.com/forum/139-d...-patterns.html

Note: calibrating with patterns on a USB stick, sets up the settings for the USB and Apps, NOT the HDMI Inputs.
Hi p5browne. Thank you for the information. I'm honestly not looking to become a DIYer. The time I'd need to "get and stay involved" is such that I might as well pay someone to calibrate. But again, I don't know I really need a calibration and if I did would benefit (i.e. discern a difference) with one. The set was already calibrated and trust me when I tell you it shows it. Anyone who knows anything at all about picture quality and who has viewed my KS9800 can tell it didn't just come out of the box looking the way it does. I was simply responding to your post where you included measurements. Despite the fact that my white balance settings are radically different than yours - which I presume could be normal, depending on the target of the calibration and other factors - I know I have a terrific picture. You've heard/read the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
post #5615 of 5778 Old 12-24-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One trick to try is to write down, or take a photo of your settings, and then try mine.
If better keep, if worse re-install the originals.
Unfortunately, I only rarely get any feedback as to whether my settings helped anyone. Better or worse?
A couple of people who started with my settings moved on to being DIYers, and one is even the main calibrator now for a NYC electronics seller. You never know.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #5616 of 5778 Old 12-26-2018, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal250 View Post
Hi p5browne. As I mentioned in my post on the 12th, my set was last calibrated October 29, 2016. I don't deny that another calibration would likely result in some current settings being tweaked. Thing is the set does look spectacular. That is my subjective opinion, of course.

The set was originally calibrated by Kevin Miller. I watched what he did, and didn't notice anything specific he did for contrast. I don't even recall if he lowered it to 95 or if I did. I too would say my unit has gotten a bit brighter over time. I know I could just lower the backlight a notch, but because I have the SM disk, I thought I'd check the contrast for white clipping.

To your point "Contrast being at 86, something else is out of alignment, or you have setting that is different from mine" I do have settings that are different. No two units will have the same settings, hence the reason one may not simply copy/use someone else's settings.

I left all of Kevin's original calibration settings alone, even after all the firmware updates. I just lowered the contrast a bit (is 86 really that much different than say 100?) and frankly whatever difference there is appears subtle to me. I grant you the SM disk is likely not as precise as the calman software (which Kevin used). In your opinion, does lowering contrast to 86 (from say 100, or 95 in my case) mean that other calibrated settings are no longer as correct as they would be if left at 100 or 95?

I'd like to avoid another calibration because of cost. I do not have a colorimeter, software or the knowledge to do one. This is why I hired Kevin. It looks so good now that I can't imagine how much better it could possibly look. Thoughts?
Hi hal250. I made a similar change in Contrast when I dropped mine from the 90's to the 80's. The main effect on white balance I remember was how the percentage of Blue changed as Contrast changed. As Contrast increased the percentage of blue increase and it decreased as Contrast decreased. I imagine there are other moving parts as well but this was the main thing that stood out to me. To compensate with the lowering of Contrast I needed to increase the B-Gain setting in white balance a few clicks. I don't recall a major delta error before the correction so I don't think there will be a big difference in the picture if the white balance settings are left as is.

Granted this was my experience on my set but I figured I'd share just in case you find it useful.
post #5617 of 5778 Old 12-26-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbyakko View Post
Hi hal250. I made a similar change in Contrast when I dropped mine from the 90's to the 80's. The main effect on white balance I remember was how the percentage of Blue changed as Contrast changed. As Contrast increased the percentage of blue increase and it decreased as Contrast decreased. I imagine there are other moving parts as well but this was the main thing that stood out to me. To compensate with the lowering of Contrast I needed to increase the B-Gain setting in white balance a few clicks. I don't recall a major delta error before the correction so I don't think there will be a big difference in the picture if the white balance settings are left as is.

Granted this was my experience on my set but I figured I'd share just in case you find it useful.
Thank you, kbyakko. That is interesting. Other than my doing things indiscriminately, I have no real way tell if my white balance blue gain setting should be changed on account of my lowering contrast. And I agree with you as I too don't think there will be a big difference in the picture if I leave my white balance settings as is. The good news is it's easy enough for me to change the contrast back to what it was at the time of the calibration. To the extent I tweaked the contrast, I used the Spears and Munsil disk test pattern. Interestingly enough I tested other settings (like color, brightness, tint, etc.) using the disk and no other settings/values needed tweaking from the original calibration. I'll stand pat at this time.
post #5618 of 5778 Old 01-02-2019, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I am having a slight issue with my KS9000, not sure if this is an actual problem or if its something that easily fixed?

I keep getting some vertical lines down the right hand side of my tv, it seems to cover around a quarter of the right hand side, strange thing is, these lines sometimes appear but then if i turn the TV off for a little bit then back on, they seem to go away.

I have the latest FW installed and can't now remember if it was happening prior to installing it, i think it may have been as i have noticed these lines for a month or 2 now.

Is this something that could potentially be a problem waiting to get worse and would be best contacting Samsung to come and look at it?

I have posted a couple of picture below of what it looks like, it prob looks a tiny bit worse when you look in person, but I’m sure you get the idea of what i mean.

http://ibb.co/Q63FX9c
http://ibb.co/349gWgG
http://ibb.co/5GJyCSm
http://ibb.co/zQMjx1T
post #5619 of 5778 Old 01-02-2019, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1981 View Post
Hi, I am having a slight issue with my KS9000, not sure if this is an actual problem or if its something that easily fixed?

I keep getting some vertical lines down the right hand side of my tv, it seems to cover around a quarter of the right hand side, strange thing is, these lines sometimes appear but then if i turn the TV off for a little bit then back on, they seem to go away.

I have the latest FW installed and can't now remember if it was happening prior to installing it, i think it may have been as i have noticed these lines for a month or 2 now.

Is this something that could potentially be a problem waiting to get worse and would be best contacting Samsung to come and look at it?

I have posted a couple of picture below of what it looks like, it prob looks a tiny bit worse when you look in person, but I’m sure you get the idea of what i mean.

@jay1981 , I can't offer much advice other than to write the lines do not seem normal. Perhaps you should place a service call. Best of luck.
post #5620 of 5778 Old 01-02-2019, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New calibration settings

Hi!
I've been using your settings for a while, they have been really helpful in my device. Since the newest update I've seen several posts with new calibration settings but I've figured it out which are the latest considering the HDMI-APP source and SDR-HDR resolution (even the Game SDR or HDR settings). Can you please help me to post all of them altogether?

Thanks and happy new year!

Quote:
One trick to try is to write down, or take a photo of your settings, and then try mine.
If better keep, if worse re-install the originals.
Unfortunately, I only rarely get any feedback as to whether my settings helped anyone. Better or worse?
A couple of people who started with my settings moved on to being DIYers, and one is even the main calibrator now for a NYC electronics seller. You never know.
post #5621 of 5778 Old 01-02-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1981 View Post

Didn't notice any lines, but did notice the left hand side of the screen seems to have a smokey look for about a 1/3 of the screen in all the pics.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #5622 of 5778 Old 01-02-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubarnesr View Post
Hi!
I've been using your settings for a while, they have been really helpful in my device. Since the newest update I've seen several posts with new calibration settings but I've figured it out which are the latest considering the HDMI-APP source and SDR-HDR resolution (even the Game SDR or HDR settings). Can you please help me to post all of them altogether?

Thanks and happy new year!
I only do all the settings when doing HDMI 1 that has my 4K Blu-ray player. Since 98% of my viewing is mostly from satellite, I calibrate HDMI 4.
HDMI 1 I do occasionally when I notice a big change on my HDMI 4 settings.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #5623 of 5778 Old 01-03-2019, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I only do all the settings when doing HDMI 1 that has my 4K Blu-ray player. Since 98% of my viewing is mostly from satellite, I calibrate HDMI 4.
HDMI 1 I do occasionally when I notice a big change on my HDMI 4 settings.
Any reason you specifically use hdmi 4 for satellite as opposed to using 2 or 3?
post #5624 of 5778 Old 01-03-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg63- View Post
Any reason you specifically use hdmi 4 for satellite as opposed to using 2 or 3?
HDMI 2 has a connection with my AVR, and HDMI 3 contains the Amazon 4K Fire Stick - hence the odd calibration settings on that Input.
One has to realize, a complete, all settings calibration takes about 6 hours, and I REALLY have to be in the mood! Since my 4K BD playbacks look fine, I don't worry about it.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #5625 of 5778 Old 01-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 157
^^
I guess he was asking whether the port is different featurewise!
post #5626 of 5778 Old 01-03-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
^^
I guess he was asking whether the port is different featurewise!
I don't go by what the Input is indicated for, just what's most convenient for me to hook up. Easier to swap around # 1 and # 4 when switching to do the calibrations, without knocking something else out of one of the other inner HDMI Ports. (Which also happens occasionally)
Also # 4 is easier to get at, the way my cabinet is set up. (I do not use ARC but instead the Digital Optical Route.)

UN65KS9800 - Mine

Last edited by p5browne; 01-04-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #5627 of 5778 Old 01-05-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hdr10+

Samsung says that all of its 2017 UHD TVs, including its premium QLED TVs, support the new HDR10+ standard. There’s good news if you bought a Samsung TV last year, too, as Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs got support for HDR10+ via a firmware update released over the Summer.

Has any Member been able to prove Samsung was true to their word?

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #5628 of 5778 Old 01-05-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Samsung says that all of its 2017 UHD TVs, including its premium QLED TVs, support the new HDR10+ standard. There’s good news if you bought a Samsung TV last year, too, as Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs got support for HDR10+ via a firmware update released over the Summer.

Has any Member been able to prove Samsung was true to their word?
That is False. 2016 sets have never received an HDR10+ update ever. And most likely never will... pls don't spread rumors. Samsung has pretty much retracted their statements to give 2016 and older sets the HDR10+ feature due to Spoiler [Money!]
mrtickleuk likes this.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
post #5629 of 5778 Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
That is False. 2016 sets have never received an HDR10+ update ever. And most likely never will... pls don't spread rumors. Samsung has pretty much retracted their statements to give 2016 and older sets the HDR10+ feature due to Spoiler [Money!]
My understanding was that the European sets got a bump up to FW 1239 that did incorporate the HDR10+, just no one from there has confirmed.
My quote was a Samsung online blurb, and repeated earlier in this forum.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #5630 of 5778 Old 01-05-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
My understanding was that the European sets got a bump up to FW 1239 that did incorporate the HDR10+, just no one from there has confirmed.
My quote was a Samsung online blurb, and repeated earlier in this forum.
Believe what you will... I cant stop you. But pls dont tell rumors as truth or next thing you know ppl in here will start complaining they cant get HDR10+ to work on their sets (bc it doesnt exists).
Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
post #5631 of 5778 Old 01-05-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My faux pas! Wrong HDR system.

Europe only!

Update 1239 is meant to update for Sky HLG

HLG via HDMI port support for UK 2016 UHD KS and KU models is in firmware version 1239.1 for those models. (HDMI 1 found best for Inputs. Not HDMI 4 - European Models - apparently HDMI 4 is only 60 HZ.)

For those wanting to read up on the Sky Q system. (Currently by satellite only, but will become available on Broadband.)

http://www.whathifi.com/sky/q/review

UN65KS9800 - Mine

Last edited by p5browne; 01-05-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #5632 of 5778 Old 01-05-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My faux pas! Wrong HDR system.

Europe only!

Update 1239 is meant to update for Sky HLG

HLG via HDMI port support for UK 2016 UHD KS and KU models is in firmware version 1239.1 for those models. (HDMI 1 found best for Inputs. Not HDMI 4)
Np...
PS: how is hdmi 1 better (or worse) than hdmi 4 or any other ports?

Best,
post #5633 of 5778 Old 01-05-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Np...
PS: how is hdmi 1 better (or worse) than hdmi 4 or any other ports?
Sorry, been bouncing around several internet areas and didn't copy URLs except this one:

http://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/...ch/td-p/425201

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #5634 of 5778 Old 01-07-2019, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
When I go to an HDR movie from any source my screen gets dark on my KS9800. Recently I tried to view "Godless and Marco Polo" with HDR on netflix app and the video looks good for about 5 seconds and then the image starts getting darker and darker and finally not worth watching.

Is the KS supposed to go to 'vivid' when I select a movie that is HDR?
mine too. just started this week
post #5635 of 5778 Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks9800 View Post
mine too. just started this week
Not wanting to take a chance, threw an extended warranty on my set for it's Christmas Present.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #5636 of 5778 Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You don't have Eco on by chance?
post #5637 of 5778 Old 01-10-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post
I always leave Eco Off

As an example as to how good the KS9800 is, watch the IMAX Enhanced Journey to the South Pacific. Realism or what? (Recommending renting, rather than buying, unless you want a new Reference BD to show off your set! )

UN65KS9800 - Mine

Last edited by p5browne; 01-12-2019 at 08:59 AM.
post #5638 of 5778 Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post
I always leave Eco Off

As an example as to how good the KS9800 is, watch the IMAX Enhanced Journey to the South Pacific. Realism or what? (Recommending renting, rather than buying, unless you want a new Reference BD to show off your set! )
Now just imagine how better the discs would be if you were watching on an Imax Enhanced set or one with Hdr10+!

Best,
post #5639 of 5778 Old 01-13-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now just imagine how better the discs would be if you were watching on an Imax Enhanced set or one with Hdr10+!
When you're more than happy with what you're seeing and hearing, who cares? Next change out is 2022 (Every 4 years, despite wife saying `No more TVs!')
Who knows what will be available by then - 8 K. 16 K, holodeck ?

Just watched the IMAX Enhanced Journey to the South Pacific, on the Samsung 75" JU7100 for comparison. KS9800 wins!

UN65KS9800 - Mine

Last edited by p5browne; 01-13-2019 at 04:22 PM.
post #5640 of 5778 Old 01-14-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anybody have their KS on the TV stand? It seems way too small to be safe... especially with children around. Any thoughts?

Best,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays