1470Likes

post #2971 of 2989 Old 01-05-2019, 01:46 PM
pep

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
ARC problem

Is anyone using ARC for sound out? Has anyone tried it? Any issues? I can't seem to make it work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2989 Old 01-05-2019, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Back to US Firmware

After using the Chinese firmware for a time, I've gone back to US firmware for the new year. The only advantage of the Chinese firmware is Dolby Vision over HDMI. But my main source of DV material is Netflix via AppleTV 4K, and the DV picture is just too dark. Watching in HDR is much better, and the US firmware does that. Maybe a future update will fix the darkness issue, but for now I'm very happy with US firmware.

Still a great TV.
post #2973 of 2989 Old 01-06-2019, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDugan View Post
After using the Chinese firmware for a time, I've gone back to US firmware for the new year. The only advantage of the Chinese firmware is Dolby Vision over HDMI. But my main source of DV material is Netflix via AppleTV 4K, and the DV picture is just too dark. Watching in HDR is much better, and the US firmware does that. Maybe a future update will fix the darkness issue, but for now I'm very happy with US firmware.

Still a great TV.

Not sure what is different about the sets, but I don’t find DV too dark at all, in fact I set things to force DV if given the option. Keeps color consistent.
I was frustrated with HDR color being off last year (pastel pinkish reds for example)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2974 of 2989 Old 01-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
Not sure what is different about the sets, but I don’t find DV too dark at all, in fact I set things to force DV if given the option. Keeps color consistent.
Might just be my old eyes! AppleTV 4K playing Marvel's Iron Fist, Season 2, Episode 1 is my comparative benchmark. Opening scenes are dark to start with, but I much prefer it in HDR over DV. DV does look great playing sample files I have and I don't have any other DV source to compare with.
post #2975 of 2989 Old 01-06-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDugan View Post
Might just be my old eyes! AppleTV 4K playing Marvel's Iron Fist, Season 2, Episode 1 is my comparative benchmark. Opening scenes are dark to start with, but I much prefer it in HDR over DV. DV does look great playing sample files I have and I don't have any other DV source to compare with.

Netflix Marvel has always had weird grainy looks to it. (Any of them)
I’d suggest Stranger Things as a good Netflix compare, but it sounds like you went to US firmware anyway.

post #2976 of 2989 Old 01-07-2019, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
Is anyone using ARC for sound out? Has anyone tried it? Any issues? I can't seem to make it work.
I use it all the time for HULU and Netflix. Works fine for me without any issues. I perfer those apps thru the TV instead of my TiVo Bolt box.

I've used it with an Onkyo receiver and now the Sony STR N1080.

I believe it has to be on HDMI 1 for ARC.

HTH

TIA

Homer
post #2977 of 2989 Old 01-07-2019, 09:23 PM
pep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Davola View Post
I use it all the time for HULU and Netflix. Works fine for me without any issues. I perfer those apps thru the TV instead of my TiVo Bolt box.

I've used it with an Onkyo receiver and now the Sony STR N1080.

I believe it has to be on HDMI 1 for ARC.

HTH

TIA

Homer
So I have my Vizio soundbar on HDMI1. But when I select HDMI2 or HDMI 3 it doesn't play through the soundbar. Are you saying you are able to do this? Which firmware are you on?
post #2978 of 2989 Old 01-08-2019, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
So I have my Vizio soundbar on HDMI1. But when I select HDMI2 or HDMI 3 it doesn't play through the soundbar. Are you saying you are able to do this? Which firmware are you on?
Yes, I am able to play the TV audio through my receiver as I am connected to my receiver to via HDMI 1. The receiver is always connected to the TV thru HDMI 1, I don't have any other inputs to the TV nor do I ever change the cable connecting to HDMI 1.

For example, I'll use the Netflex app on the TV, select TV as the input on my Sony STR DN1080 receiver for full audio.

As I mentioned earlier, I prefer this method over using the Netflix app on my TiVo Bolt or Sony blu-ray player. ARC works on all TV apps that I've tried so far, Netflix, HULU, YouTube, etc.

HTH

TIA

Homer
post #2979 of 2989 Old 01-16-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi . What I the latest firmware the US? Thanks!
post #2980 of 2989 Old 01-21-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Van Boven View Post
And that would be within VISA right, but at this point they would not be able to replace it (they cannot purchase it) and no one can get parts. So far the ones who used Discover have not had a problem.
I decided to submit a claim on the TV due to no that that there's no Dolby Vision as promised (unless you go Chinese FW. Also, randomly the TV will power off on its own. Might happen once a week, or less not sure why. I bought the TV on Amazon last November when there were still a bunch available, so I called Discover the week before the anniversary. They put in the claim, but did mention that it might have to go thru Amazon. I just received a letter from Discover saying they decided in my favor and issued a full refund. I did have square trade as well but think that because it was still under factory, they approved the claim.
post #2981 of 2989 Old 01-25-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Not sure about Screen Off Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
Just a quick note to say that I’ve joined the “Screen Off” club today and have parted ways with Al Pacino.
I transitioned to the Screen Off method of turning the tv off a few months ago rather than the standard powering off method that would eventuate in the Le Eco commercial playing (with Al Pacino) upon powering the tv back on.

Today by sheer circumstance, I was working on my components underneath the tv while it was “off”, and with my eyes within inches of the screen, I saw a Breaking News chyron along the bottom of the dark screen. My immediate concern was that I suffered some type of burn in phenomena, but then I saw the faint silhouette of a person in the middle of the screen. I immediately turned the tv on by pressing any button on the Umax remote, and I found that I was not seeing a burn in; it was the live, actual programming.

I then changed channels, turned the tv back off using the screen off method, and I examined the dark screen once again. Same deal.

So, for those using the screen off method, is this reproducible on your tvs? If so, are we keeping these pixels on 24/7, albeit with extremely low brightness levels? Any discussion if it is advisable to continue this practice or revert back to Al Pacino?
post #2982 of 2989 Old 01-25-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
I transitioned to the Screen Off method of turning the tv off a few months ago rather than the standard powering off method that would eventuate in the Le Eco commercial playing (with Al Pacino) upon powering the tv back on.

Today by sheer circumstance, I was working on my components underneath the tv while it was “off”, and with my eyes within inches of the screen, I saw a Breaking News chyron along the bottom of the dark screen. My immediate concern was that I suffered some type of burn in phenomena, but then I saw the faint silhouette of a person in the middle of the screen. I immediately turned the tv on by pressing any button on the Umax remote, and I found that I was not seeing a burn in; it was the live, actual programming.

I then changed channels, turned the tv back off using the screen off method, and I examined the dark screen once again. Same deal.

So, for those using the screen off method, is this reproducible on your tvs? If so, are we keeping these pixels on 24/7, albeit with extremely low brightness levels? Any discussion if it is advisable to continue this practice or revert back to Al Pacino?

I just looked in an extremely dark room and saw zero trace of anything there. That being said, my source equipment powers off resulting in a “no signal” being sent to the TV.
That could be the difference if you continue to feed a source to yours in low power mode?

post #2983 of 2989 Old 01-25-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
I just looked in an extremely dark room and saw zero trace of anything there. That being said, my source equipment powers off resulting in a “no signal” being sent to the TV.
That could be the difference if you continue to feed a source to yours in low power mode?

You’re right bennutt, I have been keeping my cable box “always on” and when I now power it off, the very faint picture disappears from the tv’s low power mode. Really appreciate your help.
post #2984 of 2989 Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Good news !! Do you by chance have a copy of the warranty for the tv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post
I decided to submit a claim on the TV due to no that that there's no Dolby Vision as promised (unless you go Chinese FW. Also, randomly the TV will power off on its own. Might happen once a week, or less not sure why. I bought the TV on Amazon last November when there were still a bunch available, so I called Discover the week before the anniversary. They put in the claim, but did mention that it might have to go thru Amazon. I just received a letter from Discover saying they decided in my favor and issued a full refund. I did have square trade as well but think that because it was still under factory, they approved the claim.
post #2985 of 2989 Old 02-05-2019, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I recently decided to get the Apple TV. So I switched to the Chinese firmware. It seems that whenever I enable dolby vision, the screen gets very yellowish. On 4k hdr the screen is bight white but as soon as I select DV.... Yellow. Am I doing something wrong? I was going through and Onkyo receiver but then plugged directly into the TV. I also swapped out HDMI cables but the same thing. Any tips? Thanks
post #2986 of 2989 Old 02-05-2019, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another question. Once on CN firmware, is there a way to make an HDMI input ENHANCED? I cannot for the life of me find this setting on the CN firmware. Thanks
post #2987 of 2989 Old 02-06-2019, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaum View Post
Another question. Once on CN firmware, is there a way to make an HDMI input ENHANCED? I cannot for the life of me find this setting on the CN firmware. Thanks
On the Le Eco remote, press the button on the bottom right with 3 horizontal lines, then scroll down to HDMI Signal Format and choose Enhanced.
post #2988 of 2989 Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM
pep

Picture size

Well, I still haven't gotten sound out on HDMI1 (into sounder) when TV is playing HDMI2 or 3. Anyway, I have 2 other issues:

1) The TV sometimes just turns on. This seems to be related to Apple TV. Unfortunately I can't turn off the feature where the TV turns on if the Apple TV remote gets bumped.

2) I have a new problem. When playing non-4K YouTube videos, they are suddenly just 1/4 screen. Before they were dull screen. Something has changed and I don't know how to change it back. How do I turn scaling back on?
post #2989 of 2989 Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM
pep

Solved problem 2. It was the Apple TV. A reboot solved the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolbyvision , hdr10 , leeco , uhd , umax85