Forum Jump: 
 1470Likes

post #2941 of 2980 Old 11-04-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 685
After a brief Internet search using the terms “Dolby Vision too dark”, one could infer that issues with DV black levels are TV specific. This article, a bit too technical for me and about 8 paragraphs in, describes the DV calibration/algorithm and how it differs from the HDR10 standard. http://hometheaterreview.com/unders...tion-part-one/. From this article, the following information may be a big factor responsible for how DV is handled by individual tvs: a certain film may have been mastered on a studio monitor capable of perfect P3 color and 4,000 nits of brightness. No consumer TV can do 4,000 nits right now, and many fall somewhat short of P3 color. So, when the DV signal arrives at the TV, the tone, brightness, and color must be remapped on a scene-by-scene or frame-by-frame basis so that the image looks as close as possible to what the director/mastering engineer intended, within the TV's limits.

There’s also been reported differences in DV black levels in tvs using internal apps as compared to DV via HDMI.

In sum, it appears that our Umax tvs while displaying DV, have these dark scene issues. Overall however, my enjoyment with the DV picture quality hasn’t diminished. With the loss of the internal apps when upgraded to the CN fw, we cannot compare the DV handling of dark scenes to the same programming via HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 2980 Old 11-05-2018, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
After a brief Internet search using the terms “Dolby Vision too dark”, one could infer that issues with DV black levels are TV specific. This article, a bit too technical for me and about 8 paragraphs in, describes the DV calibration/algorithm and how it differs from the HDR10 standard. http://hometheaterreview.com/unders...tion-part-one/. From this article, the following information may be a big factor responsible for how DV is handled by individual tvs: a certain film may have been mastered on a studio monitor capable of perfect P3 color and 4,000 nits of brightness. No consumer TV can do 4,000 nits right now, and many fall somewhat short of P3 color. So, when the DV signal arrives at the TV, the tone, brightness, and color must be remapped on a scene-by-scene or frame-by-frame basis so that the image looks as close as possible to what the director/mastering engineer intended, within the TV's limits.

There’s also been reported differences in DV black levels in tvs using internal apps as compared to DV via HDMI.

In sum, it appears that our Umax tvs while displaying DV, have these dark scene issues. Overall however, my enjoyment with the DV picture quality hasn’t diminished. With the loss of the internal apps when upgraded to the CN fw, we cannot compare the DV handling of dark scenes to the same programming via HDMI.
Comparing the LG Demo Dolby Vision Comparison and Dolby Vision Trailer files played directly from the TV (after uploading files) and via HDMI from Apple TV 4k, I see no difference in dark scenes. Netflix is another matter. I know ATV 4K supports Dolby Profile 5. I'm clueless as to what Netflix is streaming.

Running 6.5 firmware.
post #2943 of 2980 Old 11-20-2018, 12:13 PM
pep

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have a ghost in one of my TV's. It will all of a sudden turn on. It appears to be triggered by a ghost in the ATV4K causing the ATV4K to act like the remote was clicked. I have moved the ATV4K to HDMI2. There is nothing on HDMI1. I am running CN firmware and can't find any settings to turn off this behavior. Thoughts? Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2944 of 2980 Old 11-20-2018, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

This is admittedly off topic since I have a Super4-X43, but I haven't been able to get to the bottom of a significant overscan issue and was curious if it occured on the Umax85.

The issue occurs on OTA input on the TV in all aspect ratio modes (Normal, Full, 16:9), the different modes do not stick on the 5.8.056 firmware. This overscan does not occur on other inputs. My suspicion is that it is reading the "16:9" flag on the ATSC metadata, and forcing a slightly overscanned 16:9 aspect ratio, rather than the "Native/Normal" non-overscanned modes.

I raised this issue with LeEco Support when they still existed in the US, and they didn't really understand why this was an issue. Does anyone know of any workarounds? I am curious to know if this issue occurs on earlier firmwares, or on the newer Chinese firmware?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2394.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	831.4 KB
ID:	2485536  

Last edited by seamus21514; 11-20-2018 at 06:19 PM.
post #2945 of 2980 Old 11-21-2018, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus21514 View Post
Hi all,

This is admittedly off topic since I have a Super4-X43, but I haven't been able to get to the bottom of a significant overscan issue and was curious if it occured on the Umax85.

The issue occurs on OTA input on the TV in all aspect ratio modes (Normal, Full, 16:9), the different modes do not stick on the 5.8.056 firmware. This overscan does not occur on other inputs. My suspicion is that it is reading the "16:9" flag on the ATSC metadata, and forcing a slightly overscanned 16:9 aspect ratio, rather than the "Native/Normal" non-overscanned modes.

I raised this issue with LeEco Support when they still existed in the US, and they didn't really understand why this was an issue. Does anyone know of any workarounds? I am curious to know if this issue occurs on earlier firmwares, or on the newer Chinese firmware?

I'm on CN 6.5.064S, which is the latest firmware. OTA is disabled due to the fact of it not scanning the US frequencies. You have to have an external device to do it and run it to the TV. I have a cheapie that I bought at WalMart and it works just fine. I run it through my AVR and there are no overscan issues at all. BTW and you may already know this, there is a thread that pertains to your model of LeEco TV on AVSforum.
post #2946 of 2980 Old 11-23-2018, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Hope everyone is doing well. I know I've been absent for a while. With my flickering issue, I gave my TV to my brother in law.

As far as the dolby vision "black crush" / lack of shadow details, I believe the Apple TV had an RGB high and RGb low settings.

If so, can someone toggle this setting and see if helps?

More info here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread/8407294
post #2947 of 2980 Old 11-23-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish234 View Post
Hope everyone is doing well. I know I've been absent for a while. With my flickering issue, I gave my TV to my brother in law.

As far as the dolby vision "black crush" / lack of shadow details, I believe the Apple TV had an RGB high and RGb low settings.

If so, can someone toggle this setting and see if helps?

More info here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread/8407294
Hey, nice to see you post again; you’ve contributed a lot to this owner’s thread. Unfortunately, I can find no such setting on the ATV4K.
post #2948 of 2980 Old 11-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Hey, nice to see you post again; you’ve contributed a lot to this owner’s thread. Unfortunately, I can find no such setting on the ATV4K.

If you'll look under the Video and Audio tab, then click on HDMI Output, you'll get the option to choose YCbCr, RGB High or RGB Low.

I've always kept mine on YCbCr, but I'll switch it to RGB High and see if I notice any difference.
post #2949 of 2980 Old 11-23-2018, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Tried RGB settings. Made no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2950 of 2980 Old 11-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDugan View Post

Thanks for trying. I was hoping that might have been the fix. Is it possible a reboot of the ATV is needed for that change to fully take a effect and maybe reboot the UMAX for good measure?

I know in the past I was advocating for using an AVR that had a basic video brightness control built in since you can't adjust brightness in DV mode and I think the control is broken on SDR in the CN firmware. In other words I saw the same shadow crush in both SDR and HDR on CN firmware
post #2951 of 2980 Old 11-23-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDugan View Post

Made no difference to me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish234 View Post
Thanks for trying. I was hoping that might have been the fix. Is it possible a reboot of the ATV is needed for that change to fully take a effect and maybe reboot the UMAX for good measure?

I know in the past I was advocating for using an AVR that had a basic video brightness control built in since you can't adjust brightness in DV mode and I think the control is broken on SDR in the CN firmware. In other words I saw the same shadow crush in both SDR and HDR on CN firmware

Tried rebooting. It made no difference either.
post #2952 of 2980 Old 11-24-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Fan View Post
If you'll look under the Video and Audio tab, then click on HDMI Output, you'll get the option to choose YCbCr, RGB High or RGB Low.

I've always kept mine on YCbCr, but I'll switch it to RGB High and see if I notice any difference.
Thanks. I didn’t have the HDMI Output option at all because I force the Dolby Vision format. When I change to the 4K SDR format, the HDMI Output tab appears as well as the Chroma tab.
post #2953 of 2980 Old 11-25-2018, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I don’t believe that washed out HDR is the fault of any attached devices. It is the Umax’s bug with the original U.S. firmware. Have you updated to the U.S. fw that fixed the HDR bug (also fixed the FALD bug)? Or are you using the Chinese fw?
Roku with firmware 7.6 and 9.0. roku os 8 seemed to have some magic (for sure 8.1).

roku ultra 4660 os 9 (Bad HDR) video

roku ultra 4640 os 8.2 (Good HDR) video

Last edited by Eric Van Boven; 11-26-2018 at 01:32 AM.
post #2954 of 2980 Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Van Boven View Post
Roku with firmware 7.6 and 9.0. roku os 8 seemed to have some magic (for sure 8.2).

roku ultra 4660 os 9 (Bad HDR) video

roku ultra 4640 os 8.2 (Good HDR) video
I revisited my Roku Ultra today and according to the system update, I am up to date with software version 8.1.0, Build 4159. I am running the CN firmware on the Umax and checked out a new HDR video on The HDR Channel named, Real 4K HDR 60fps: LG OLED Perfect Black in HDR. Wow, the tv’s display of HDR and black levels were gorgeous and reminded me of the inky blacks that floored me when I first got the tv. A bit eye opening and I may start giving HDR more playing time in respect to the Dolby Vision I’ve been forcing on both the ATV and the Oppo 203.
post #2955 of 2980 Old 12-10-2018, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I got my entire $4k back thanks so much for your help Eric van boven

Used discover to buy tv on release
post #2956 of 2980 Old 12-15-2018, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppsssooo View Post
So I got my entire $4k back thanks so much for your help Eric van boven

Used discover to buy tv on release
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Van Boven View Post
Yup using discover card extended warranty. I got the check back for full amount and the tv. Your order could be in your email that you used. I had it all saved as pdf for if I ever needed it. PM you for link to the warranty. The tv does have the firmware bug that was never fixed for hdr and does not included Dolby Vision unless going to Chinese firmware.
That is really great to hear. Could you please send me the pdf warranty or tell me where I can get it? Would really appreciate it! - mjagent@aol.com
post #2957 of 2980 Old 12-17-2018, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Refund from Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Has anyone received a refund through their Chase Sapphire Preferred or other VISA card? I bought my TV on the second go-round (Black Friday 2016) with my CSP, which extends warranties to three years. I remember another user saying VISA's policy is to replace rather than refund, but I don't believe he ever commented on the outcome of his claim.

Thanks,
post #2958 of 2980 Old 12-18-2018, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney320 View Post
Has anyone received a refund through their Chase Sapphire Preferred or other VISA card? I bought my TV on the second go-round (Black Friday 2016) with my CSP, which extends warranties to three years. I remember another user saying VISA's policy is to replace rather than refund, but I don't believe he ever commented on the outcome of his claim.

Thanks,

I’m getting stonewalled between card coverage and Square warranty.
Card says they won’t cover until 3 year Square is over.
Square says they don’t cover a “software defect”.

post #2959 of 2980 Old 12-19-2018, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post

Curious how they know about the Square? Was it on the same invoice you had to send them a copy of?
post #2960 of 2980 Old 12-28-2018, 02:08 AM

Quote:

Squaretrade is correct in that they do not cover software/firmware defects only hardware. The manufacturer should be the 1st year warranty, credit card 2nd year (if you have one with 2 year) and then square trade should go into affect at year 3 (this is how costcos stuff always shows). I am guessing you put down that you had extended warranty from square trade and now the credit card company is trying to avoid any coverage.
post #2961 of 2980 Old 12-28-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney320 View Post

Thanks,
And that would be within VISA right, but at this point they would not be able to replace it (they cannot purchase it) and no one can get parts. So far the ones who used Discover have not had a problem.
post #2962 of 2980 Old 12-28-2018, 02:27 AM

Quote:
I revisited my Roku Ultra today and according to the system update, I am up to date with software version 8.1.0, Build 4159. I am running the CN firmware on the Umax and checked out a new HDR video on The HDR Channel named, Real 4K HDR 60fps: LG OLED Perfect Black in HDR. Wow, the tv’s display of HDR and black levels were gorgeous and reminded me of the inky blacks that floored me when I first got the tv. A bit eye opening and I may start giving HDR more playing time in respect to the Dolby Vision I’ve been forcing on both the ATV and the Oppo 203.
Figured out the newer roku (2018) 4660X with either firmware 9.0.0 build 4083-46 or 8.1.0 build 4145-46 have the hdr bug (non china firmware on tv). My older roku ultras (2016) 4640x on 8.1.0 build 4159-29 and 9.0.0 work fine with displaying the hdr right away. Sometimes they still have a hard time getting out of the hdr mode and I have to switch inputs but I can live with that.
snpanago likes this.
post #2963 of 2980 Old 12-29-2018, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Every now and then when playing HDR games from my PS4 Pro I get the screen flashing static and the picture goes blank. There doesn't seem to be any pattern on when this happens or why. Sometimes the picture comes back and other times I just change inputs on my receiver and back to the PS4 and it works fine. I'm using a Denon X2200W. I'm not sure if the problem is from the receiver or the tv. Has anyone else had anything similar happen?
post #2964 of 2980 Old 01-01-2019, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys I'm having a new problem that I haven't seen covered before. The Google assistant microphone on the remote stopped working. Has anyone experienced this and knows a fix? If not, does anyone know if you can purchase a new remote for this somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #2965 of 2980 Old 01-02-2019, 12:26 PM
pep

ARC problem

One of my TVs has a broken optical jack. Because of that I need to use ARC to hook up my Vizio soundbar. I hooked my Roku into the Vizio soundbar and the soundbar HDMI out to Input 1 on the uMax85. The Roku video shows on the TV and the audio comes out of the soundbar. However, the other two HDMI ports don't output audio to the soundbar. Suggestions please. I have the internal speakers turned off. I hare tried output digital turned on and off. I am running CN firmware.

Last edited by pep; 01-02-2019 at 12:37 PM.
post #2966 of 2980 Old 01-02-2019, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
One of my TVs has a broken optical jack. Because of that I need to use ARC to hook up my Vizio soundbar. I hooked my Roku into the Vizio soundbar and the soundbar HDMI out to Input 1 on the uMax85. The Roku video shows on the TV and the audio comes out of the soundbar. However, the other two HDMI ports don't output audio to the soundbar. Suggestions please. I have the internal speakers turned off. I hare tried output digital turned on and off. I am running CN firmware.

The only option really is to use a different piece of equipment for plugging in HDMI sources and run one single HDMI to the TV.
The best option would be any newer AV Receiver that supports 4K pass through.
If you wanted to go cheaper, you could try an HDMI switch in place ahead of your sound bar.
Roku -> hdmi switch -> soundbar -> TV
Device2 -> hdmi switch -> soundbar -> TV
Etc...

post #2967 of 2980 Old 01-02-2019, 01:41 PM
pep

Quote:
The only option really is to use a different piece of equipment for plugging in HDMI sources and run one single HDMI to the TV.
The best option would be any newer AV Receiver that supports 4K pass through.
If you wanted to go cheaper, you could try an HDMI switch in place ahead of your sound bar.
Roku -> hdmi switch -> soundbar -> TV
Device2 -> hdmi switch -> soundbar -> TV
Etc...
But I thought the uMax85 supported ARC. Doesn't it? My manual shows HDMI1 as being the ARC return channel. This should work. It is the way Vizio shows it being wired and I thought I had it working this way once. However, I have moved so I am having to set everything up from scratch again. If I can get ARC to work I will be fine.
post #2968 of 2980 Old 01-02-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpepling View Post
Every now and then when playing HDR games from my PS4 Pro I get the screen flashing static and the picture goes blank. There doesn't seem to be any pattern on when this happens or why. Sometimes the picture comes back and other times I just change inputs on my receiver and back to the PS4 and it works fine. I'm using a Denon X2200W. I'm not sure if the problem is from the receiver or the tv. Has anyone else had anything similar happen?
My top guess given limited information is loss of HDMI handshake due to marginal signal path, likely due to lack of "Certified Premium" HDMI cable(s) in the path. Either that or something else.
post #2969 of 2980 Old 01-02-2019, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Can someone please kindly provide a pdf of the warranty. My umax85 tv has started to turn off intermittently and apps have stopped working. I am really frustrated with this piece of ****. Thank you in advance for your help.

Mirage OMD Series
Onkyo AVR
post #2970 of 2980 Old 01-03-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by garan View Post
Hey guys I'm having a new problem that I haven't seen covered before. The Google assistant microphone on the remote stopped working. Has anyone experienced this and knows a fix? If not, does anyone know if you can purchase a new remote for this somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had this problem a while ago. I didn't really do anything about it since I usually just type in the search. It started working again on it's own at some point, not sure when. I used the voice search a few times over the holiday break.

Try rebooting Android.

TIA

Homer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolbyvision , hdr10 , leeco , uhd , umax85