post #541 of 567 Old 01-06-2019, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
@denpom , do you have idea about differences between 75Q7FN and 75Q8FN ? I was wondering if I should get the Q7FN (which looked pretty good in best buy after fiddling with settings) and pocket the difference?
the biggest difference is that Q8 has FALD and Q7 is bottom lit with only few local dimming zones. browse around both threads, rtings.com etc and decide for yourself how important that difference is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 567 Old 01-06-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked: 3143
A Firmware Update is Coming

Check this out:

http://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/06...nes-airplay-2/
sveineb likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #543 of 567 Old 01-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
the biggest difference is that Q8 has FALD and Q7 is bottom lit with only few local dimming zones. browse around both threads, rtings.com etc and decide for yourself how important that difference is.
Thanks! How are the black levels in a perfect dark room on Q7FN? Do you think bias lighting improves black levels on this TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 567 Old 01-06-2019, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgut View Post
I wanted to get others thoughts. In the attached picture there is blooming in the bottom corners and not what I would call uniform.
what are we looking at exactly? a grey screen test? it's impossible to tell from your image what's really going on. do you see any anomalies with real content?
It a picture of a black screen transition. I paused the transition and took a picture. Netflix on Apple TV. I can notice very minimal light bleed in the bottom corners when actual content is playing if I am laser focused on it.
post #545 of 567 Old 01-07-2019, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
How are the black levels in a perfect dark room on Q7FN? Do you think bias lighting improves black levels on this TV?

In dark scenes you can clearly see black level fluctuating and pumping, even with the local dimming set to low. The more there's light in the room, the more these effects are hidden.

For a perfectly dark room I would look for some another TV, OLED probably.

I own a Q7FN and I'm happy with the set. It's just not that great in a dark room room. RTINGS ratings nailed it, 7.6 score for movies.
srkmish likes this.
post #546 of 567 Old 01-07-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.OGG View Post
In dark scenes you can clearly see black level fluctuating and pumping, even with the local dimming set to low. The more there's light in the room, the more these effects are hidden.

For a perfectly dark room I would look for some another TV, OLED probably.
after testing tons of different content on this TV, i can honestly say that any type of SDR content (with Local Dimming on Standard) is not a problem at all. i don't get fluctuating blacks or blooming even with black bars in a completely dark room. the issues start with HDR content (especially on Netflix) and black bars where there's no way around either brighter room viewing or bias lighting. i use bias lighting and enjoying this TV too.
srkmish likes this.
post #547 of 567 Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question

Hi I’m new here and had a question to other q7fn owners.

I just bought a 65” Q7FN and I love it. But me being a perfectionist I noticed a small gap along the bottom of the tv by the bezel and wanted to know if this gap was common or if I should look into getting it fixed.

I provided a image to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB8DA799-D66A-4192-85AA-301FE493F1B2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	2507862  
post #548 of 567 Old 01-08-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newTurya3 View Post
I noticed a small gap along the bottom of the tv by the bezel and wanted to know if this gap was common or if I should look into getting it fixed.
not normal by all means, exchange if it bothers you.
post #549 of 567 Old 01-09-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by newTurya3 View Post
Hi I’m new here and had a question to other q7fn owners.

I just bought a 65” Q7FN and I love it. But me being a perfectionist I noticed a small gap along the bottom of the tv by the bezel and wanted to know if this gap was common or if I should look into getting it fixed.

I provided a image to help.
Exchange... do not accept this. Who knows what else happened to this TV at the factory or during shipping..
post #550 of 567 Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Re: ambient mode on Logitech
Quote:
Originally Posted by sether01 View Post
You could try contacting Logitech and seeing if they are able to manually add in the control, they are generally really good about doing that if it's something it's able to do.
Turns out Logitech can’t do it because it they don’t support the Bluetooth commands the remote sends, at least not yet. Any idea how to write Samsung easily? It seemed like I’d have to jump through hoops,on their web site.
post #551 of 567 Old 01-10-2019, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by intermediatic View Post
Re: ambient mode on Logitech

Turns out Logitech can’t do it because it they don’t support the Bluetooth commands the remote sends, at least not yet. Any idea how to write Samsung easily? It seemed like I’d have to jump through hoops,on their web site.

Unfortunately your guess is as good as mine, I've never needed to contact Samsung. That's a bummer that Logitch doesn't support that command yet though, here's to hoping they are able to implement it soon.
post #552 of 567 Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I just picked up a 65" q7fn.. had bought a x900f 2 weeks ago but the blooming is so distracting to me when using as a PC monitor so Im returning it tomorrow. Not that the Q7 doesnt have any blooming, but its a lot different & doesnt spread out far past whatever the bright object is.

I have a FA02 panel, when im viewing a black background i did notice some clouding, a combination of bias lighting & setting the local dimming to high helped clear it up a lot. Not an issue in well lit room. But Im seeing some of you guys saying your panel is perfect uniform black, is that in a dark room with no enhancements turned on? Wondering if I should swap this one out & try to find an AA panel.

also whats up with the stand on this TV? it looks well built, but its a little wobbly, are you supposed to be able to tilt the TV side to side?

Last edited by Badmotorf1nger; 01-10-2019 at 10:58 PM.
post #553 of 567 Old 01-11-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmotorf1nger View Post

I have a FA02 panel, when im viewing a black background i did notice some clouding, a combination of bias lighting & setting the local dimming to high helped clear it up a lot. Not an issue in well lit room.
actually, setting Local Dimming to High causes more issues like blooming and blown highlights with SDR content (it boosts backlight and doesn't "enhance" local dimming like the title might suggest). keep it on Standard for everything but HDR. and yes, with it on Standard my blacks are perfect or almost perfect in a completely dark environment.

also, the stand doesn't wobble at all (55" version).
post #554 of 567 Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
actually, setting Local Dimming to High causes more issues like blooming and blown highlights with SDR content (it boosts backlight and doesn't "enhance" local dimming like the title might suggest). keep it on Standard for everything but HDR. and yes, with it on Standard my blacks are perfect or almost perfect in a completely dark environment.

also, the stand doesn't wobble at all (55" version).

Thanks Denpom, OK so my TV is not as uniform as it should be then.. even with the bias lighting there is some iregularity. Guess ill swap it out, I hate going through this every time I get a new TV but in the end its worth it when your spending $$$

Where in NY are you from? Where did you get your AA panel? Im in Nassau county
post #555 of 567 Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Denpom, OK so my TV is not as uniform as it should be then.. even with the bias lighting there is some iregularity. Guess ill swap it out, I hate going through this every time I get a new TV but in the end its worth it when your spending $$$
don't rush to swap it. did you try my settings from this thread? what kind of content you're seeing blooming with? are there any other issues?

try this video with my settings in a dark room (make sure Local Dimming is on Standard):

http://youtu.be/8CmvgFizLEs

i'm in Manhattan and there was no choice between the panels at all when i bought it, all of them were AA.
post #556 of 567 Old 01-11-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
don't rush to swap it. did you try my settings from this thread? what kind of content you're seeing blooming with? are there any other issues?

try this video with my settings in a dark room (make sure Local Dimming is on Standard):

http://youtu.be/8CmvgFizLEs

i'm in Manhattan and there was no choice between the panels at all when i bought it, all of them were AA.

ill try them tonight, mainly on the windows desktop with black background, i have to test more media

I was also getting some issues where lets say i right click & popup menu appears, everything would get brighter.. turning on game mode seemed to help with this, i had already turned off all the ECO power saving setttings

Oh i work in midtown, i think there is a best buy near here
post #557 of 567 Old 01-11-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ill try them tonight, mainly on the windows desktop with black background, i have to test more media
see, i've never tested it as a computer monitor so i can't comment on local dimming behavior in that environment.
post #558 of 567 Old 01-12-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for info. regarding the One Connect box. Anyone know what the operating temp the box should be? I need to place the box in an enclosed location. Thanks.
post #559 of 567 Old 01-13-2019, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netbookjunkie View Post
I'm looking for info. regarding the One Connect box. Anyone know what the operating temp the box should be? I need to place the box in an enclosed location. Thanks.

Check the user manual (up to 104F, 4" to cabinet sides)

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...S_180716.0.pdf
Netbookjunkie likes this.
post #560 of 567 Old 01-13-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5531 Post(s)
Liked: 5535
Quote:
Thanks Denpom, OK so my TV is not as uniform as it should be then..
Technically most TV's are not. There is always something worse out there too, that is for sure.
post #561 of 567 Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I`m rather pleased with my new Samsung Q7FN tv. Feel that black is black where it should be, and the colour and lighting is of course great.
I guess i can run a test as linked by denpom, but so far i`m enjoying it.

So does my kids :-). Took a photo of the screen this morning in the dark, when the kids were watching the movie Rapunzel. I thought this scene showed nice black level and colours. . :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190115_065737.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	2510982   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190115_065730.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	2510984  
post #562 of 567 Old Yesterday, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I'm happy to say, after going through 1 75" Q6FN, 1 Sony Z9D, and 3 (YES 3) Q8FN's, i finally took the plung and ordered me the 75" Q7FN, the TV i should have originally got in the first place

Why you ask???

I started off with the 75" Q6, i loved that TV, i just wanted brighter HDR which was the reason for me trading it in in the first place. I then got the 65" Q8, after about a day of owning the Q8, i traded it in and got the Q6 back due to size, once i went 75" it was hard to go down a size. I then traded in the Q6 once again with the intentions of getting the 75" Q7. Well, while i had my Q7 on order for delivery, my brother texts me one day showing that Best Buy had the 65" Z9D back in stock. Here we go again! So i canceled my Q7 order.

I have a huge 3D Movie collection and the Z9D is the only TV out there that does 3D (atleast at it's price), so i purchased the 65" Z9D, i purchased a wall mount that went out from the wall 3 feet (my previous mount went out 2 feet), with the hope that the screen would look bigger. Long story short, the Z9D was great, but i missed the Motion Interpolation in video games, especially while playing RDR2, as RockStar put a good amount of motion blur in it and i can't stand it, the Motion Interpolation on my Q6 took care of this issue for me. I didn't think i would miss the game settings on these Samsung's so much, but i cane to the realization that i just couldn't live without them, so their goes the Z9D. BTW, i also did not like the color on the Z9D, it didn't POP like i wanted, the Gamut is only like 84%, which never brought the picture out for me. The HDR was awesome though.

By this point i got use-to a 65" TV again, especially with my new wall mount, so i decided to go back and purchased the Q8. This TV by far had the most insane color against a black background i have ever seen, simply GORGEOUS!!! My brother owns a B6 and C8 OLED and the Q8 is darn close to looking like one of these, but with colors that pop even more and much brighter HDR! I LOVED THIS TV!!! Especially dark movies, they simply took my breath away! Street lights, highlights, ect, had zero bloom while keeping them rich blacks intact. Well, then came "Zelda"... About 2 days into owning the Q8, i turned on my Nintendo Switch, startd playing Zelda, and i just couldn't get over the DSE!!! I never seen anything like this before, It was SO distracting!!! I posted a video of it in the Q8 owners thread, and one guy said this was normal! The colors looked INCREDIBLE, everything was awesome, Zelda popped like never before, but that DSE KILLED IT for me, i just could NOT live with it!!! So the next day i took the TV back to Best Buy and exchange it for another Q8, this Q8 the DSE was just as bad, i just cannot play my games like this! Maybe people get use to it, maybe both of my Q8 panels weren't as good they could have been (as far as DSE), i don't know, but what i did know is the Q8 was going back. Such a shame, because it was the most perfect, beautiful TV (as far as picture) that I've ever had.

Which leads me to now... Just today i purchased the 75" Q7FN which will be delivered on Thursday. Atleast with the Q7 i know what i am getting, i enjoyed my Q6 very much, i would have kept it if not for the low brightness in HDR, and HDR the Q7 does much better and basically takes care of this issue. Yes, i will miss the them awesome blacks of my Z9D and especially my Q8's, but i can live with that. What i cannot live with is blotchy DSE, dull colors and not that great motion on the Z9D, and less then adiquit HDR.

Moral of the story... There is absolutely no perfect TV out there, you just need to find what you can live with and what you cannot, there is give and take no matter what set you go with, and I'm happy to say I'm glad to be back on board here with the Q7, this WAS the TV i initially traded in my Q6 for in the first place, before my eye's started to wonder off looking at others sets.

Looking forward to recieving my Q7 on Thursday, will give initial impressions upon arrival. 👍

Last edited by EtherMagic; Yesterday at 03:16 AM.
post #563 of 567 Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Råny Storstyr View Post
I`m rather pleased with my new Samsung Q7FN tv. Feel that black is black where it should be, and the colour and lighting is of course great.
I guess i can run a test as linked by denpom, but so far i`m enjoying it.

So does my kids :-). Took a photo of the screen this morning in the dark, when the kids were watching the movie Rapunzel. I thought this scene showed nice black level and colours. . :-)
Looks great. Would you mind sharing your settings?
post #564 of 567 Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
So I'm happy to say, after going through 1 75" Q6FN, 1 Sony Z9D, and 3 (YES 3) Q8FN's, i finally took the plung and ordered me the 75" Q7FN, the TV i should have originally got in the first place

Why you ask???

I started off with the 75" Q6, i loved that TV, i just wanted brighter HDR which was the reason for me trading it in in the first place. I then got the 65" Q8, after about a day of owning the Q8, i traded it in and got the Q6 back due to size, once i went 75" it was hard to go down a size. I then traded in the Q6 once again with the intentions of getting the 75" Q7. Well, while i had my Q7 on order for delivery, my brother texts me one day showing that Best Buy had the 65" Z9D back in stock. Here we go again! So i canceled my Q7 order.

I have a huge 3D Movie collection and the Z9D is the only TV out there that does 3D (atleast at it's price), so i purchased the 65" Z9D, i purchased a wall mount that went out from the wall 3 feet (my previous mount went out 2 feet), with the hope that the screen would look bigger. Long story short, the Z9D was great, but i missed the Motion Interpolation in video games, especially while playing RDR2, as RockStar put a good amount of motion blur in it and i can't stand it, the Motion Interpolation on my Q6 took care of this issue for me. I didn't think i would miss the game settings on these Samsung's so much, but i cane to the realization that i just couldn't live without them, so their goes the Z9D. BTW, i also did not like the color on the Z9D, it didn't POP like i wanted, the Gamut is only like 84%, which never brought the picture out for me. The HDR was awesome though.

By this point i got use-to a 65" TV again, especially with my new wall mount, so i decided to go back and purchased the Q8. This TV by far had the most insane color against a black background i have ever seen, simply GORGEOUS!!! My brother owns a B6 and C8 OLED and the Q8 is darn close to looking like one of these, but with colors that pop even more and much brighter HDR! I LOVED THIS TV!!! Especially dark movies, they simply took my breath away! Street lights, highlights, ect, had zero bloom while keeping them rich blacks intact. Well, then came "Zelda"... About 2 days into owning the Q8, i turned on my Nintendo Switch, startd playing Zelda, and i just couldn't get over the DSE!!! I never seen anything like this before, It was SO distracting!!! I posted a video of it in the Q8 owners thread, and one guy said this was normal! The colors looked INCREDIBLE, everything was awesome, Zelda popped like never before, but that DSE KILLED IT for me, i just could NOT live with it!!! So the next day i took the TV back to Best Buy and exchange it for another Q8, this Q8 the DSE was just as bad, i just cannot play my games like this! Maybe people get use to it, maybe both of my Q8 panels weren't as good they could have been (as far as DSE), i don't know, but what i did know is the Q8 was going back. Such a shame, because it was the most perfect, beautiful TV (as far as picture) that I've ever had.

Which leads me to now... Just today i purchased the 75" Q7FN which will be delivered on Thursday. Atleast with the Q7 i know what i am getting, i enjoyed my Q6 very much, i would have kept it if not for the low brightness in HDR, and HDR the Q7 does much better and basically takes care of this issue. Yes, i will miss the them awesome blacks of my Z9D and especially my Q8's, but i can live with that. What i cannot live with is blotchy DSE, dull colors and not that great motion on the Z9D, and less then adiquit HDR.

Moral of the story... There is absolutely no perfect TV out there, you just need to find what you can live with and what you cannot, there is give and take no matter what set you go with, and I'm happy to say I'm glad to be back on board here with the Q7, this WAS the TV i initially traded in my Q6 for in the first place, before my eye's started to wonder off looking at others sets.

Looking forward to recieving my Q7 on Thursday, will give initial impressions upon arrival. 👍
Well after doing tons of research on the Q7, Q8 and Q9, I have ordered the 75" Q7. I am coming from a HU8550. The 8550 is a great TV except for HDR. The scenes are so dark. I can't remember how many nits it has but I hope the Q7 does a better job. I won't play video games on the Q7. It is just for movies and TV. I am crossing my fingers that I get a good panel.
post #565 of 567 Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Technically most TV's are not. There is always something worse out there too, that is for sure.
I live in europe and do not have the same software as in US.
Can I just download the 1202.3 and update via USB?

Samsung 65"Q7FN, Sony UBP X800, Mede8er med600x3d, Nvidia Shield tv, Atv4k, Xbox One X, Hp htpc.
Nad M17 , ATI AT543NC ,Nad M25.
Arendal Sound tower, Arendal center, Arendal Surround, Arendal sub 2, Dali Oberon On-wall, Dali Alteco C-1.
post #566 of 567 Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
SETTINGS 2nd draft (cable only for now):

Picture Mode: Movie (or Standard. they do have little different processing though and Standard "locks" Local Dimming on High)
Backlight: 25
Brightness: 0
Contrast: 36 (higher values introduce clipping for SDR material)
Sharpness: 5-7
Color: 28-34
Tint: 0
Digital Clean View: Low
Auto Motion Plus: Custom (3,1 or 0,0)
Local Dimming: Standard (High introduces overblown highlights for SDR material)

Contrast Enhancer: Off (even Low crushes shadow details. it's nothing like Dynamic Contrast of the past, unfortunately. Samsung needs to fix this)

Color Tone: Standard / Warm1 (movies)
White Balance (2 Point):

R-Gain: 4
G-Gain: -9 (my panel has a green push)
B-Gain: -6
R-Offset: -6
G-Offset: 0
B-Offset: -1

Gamma: 0
Color Space: Custom or Auto
These are some great settings! Thanks. Look good on my AppleTV using Youtube.TV app. Although I did not use your R G B Gains and Offsets. Left them default.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #567 of 567 Old Today, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
These are some great settings! Thanks. Look good on my AppleTV using Youtube.TV app. Although I did not use your R G B Gains and Offsets. Left them default.
Thanks. I will try these settings once I get my TV on Friday. Are these settings based off the new firmware for the TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2018 , q7fn , qled , Samsung , uhd