Forum Jump: 
 77Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 567 Old 05-08-2018, 05:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know where I can find some settings for this TV? I just got it yesterday and I'm having a hard time dialing it in.
dvallee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 567 Old 05-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Member
 
intermediatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Saw a Q7FN and Q8FN in the store again. Q8FN didn't seem worth it for me, maybe even oversaturated. Would love to see a Q9FN to see what I'm missing.
intermediatic is offline  
post #63 of 567 Old 05-10-2018, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gib6717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by intermediatic View Post
Saw a Q7FN and Q8FN in the store again. Q8FN didn't seem worth it for me, maybe even oversaturated. Would love to see a Q9FN to see what I'm missing.
If you have a best buy near you, head there - it should be on display.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
sgtmaj2478 likes this.
Gib6717 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 567 Old 05-10-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
JMCecil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,484
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib6717 View Post
If you have a best buy near you, head there - it should be on display.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That isn't necessarily true. Our best buy only carries mid tier and below.
JMCecil is offline  
post #65 of 567 Old 05-11-2018, 06:05 AM
Member
 
intermediatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib6717 View Post
If you have a best buy near you, head there - it should be on display.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Your confidence is misplaced. I checked at two Best Buy’s, neither had them on display.
intermediatic is offline  
post #66 of 567 Old 05-11-2018, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gib6717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by intermediatic View Post
Your confidence is misplaced. I checked at two Best Buy’s, neither had them on display.
Sorry about that! I've been to 3 in my area and they all have the exact same display which includes the Q9fn

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Gib6717 is offline  
post #67 of 567 Old 05-12-2018, 03:44 PM
Member
 
garykone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Menus and app interfaces too pink/red ?!

I realize that this is the Q7FN thread but, wanted to check something with you fine folks regarding my Q6FN. Specifically, regarding the home menus and menus in apps as well. They all seem too pink / red while the actual video is quite ok. Do you see the same with your Q7FN ?!

Attached are a couple of pics, one of the home menu and the other from the Google Play app.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0226.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	874.2 KB
ID:	2401962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	865.8 KB
ID:	2401964  
garykone is offline  
post #68 of 567 Old 05-13-2018, 03:48 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykone View Post
I realize that this is the Q7FN thread but, wanted to check something with you fine folks regarding my Q6FN. Specifically, regarding the home menus and menus in apps as well. They all seem too pink / red while the actual video is quite ok. Do you see the same with your Q7FN ?!

Attached are a couple of pics, one of the home menu and the other from the Google Play app.

Thanks in advance!
I found the 2017 Q7f over-red by default. The 2018 Q7f is much more natural out the box, whilst still being bright and vibrant.

It doesn't seem over-red to me and the white does not feel pink in the menus (and I felt that was also the case in 2017 model). See a photo. This isn't at high brightness or dark room or anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1526204807664.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2402064  
iambasil is offline  
post #69 of 567 Old 05-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Member
 
garykone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambasil View Post
I found the 2017 Q7f over-red by default. The 2018 Q7f is much more natural out the box, whilst still being bright and vibrant.

It doesn't seem over-red to me and the white does not feel pink in the menus (and I felt that was also the case in 2017 model). See a photo. This isn't at high brightness or dark room or anything.
Thanks! Had trouble viewing your image but, one more request: when viewing Netflix or similar, if you were to skip forward, what do the mini-frames (showing a preview of the scene at that timepoint) look like? For me, the mini-frames look extremely lo-res, grainy and very red.
garykone is offline  
post #70 of 567 Old 05-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambasil View Post
I found the 2017 Q7f over-red by default. The 2018 Q7f is much more natural out the box, whilst still being bright and vibrant.

It doesn't seem over-red to me and the white does not feel pink in the menus (and I felt that was also the case in 2017 model). See a photo. This isn't at high brightness or dark room or anything.
Thanks! Had trouble viewing your image but, one more request: when viewing Netflix or similar, if you were to skip forward, what do the mini-frames (showing a preview of the scene at that timepoint) look like? For me, the mini-frames look extremely lo-res, grainy and very red.
I've only got the basic Netflix at the moment, so nothing is high res... including the frames. But generally they look ok colour wise. Hopefully this attachment works a bit better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5815_1526245601153.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2402140  
garykone likes this.
iambasil is offline  
post #71 of 567 Old 05-15-2018, 08:38 AM
Member
 
intermediatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Both the set and the iPhone app rolled updates this weekend.

Ambient view has now been updated so that you can take center a photo of the TV on the wall, not just take a photo of the side of the TV and one wall. The result is somewhat better, although on a 75”, the artifacting produced by the process is obvious, so I’ve had to go back to the “wall” wallpaper that they provide which is too coarse for a 75” set, but is better than the self-generated option. The colors, however, *seem* somewhat better on ambient mode.

I don’t know what else updated.

I wish that it was possible to turn off the sound for the “water” ambient mode in the settings.

Anybody know a way to contact Samsung’s TV app team without going through the support page on the site? I tried emailing someone at the Smarthings app, but they directed me to the page. Must I really give my serial number (and how do I find that now?) to just give some advice about these things?
intermediatic is offline  
post #72 of 567 Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 AM
Member
 
intermediatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
People seem to like rtings.com and their review is out. The Q7FN got an 8.2, with the sorest spot being “bad” local dimming. Well yeah, although my wife thought I was crazy enough spending $4,000 for a TV. I wouldn’t want to hear what she’d say if I’d spent $6,000.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q7fn
Lethean, srkmish and Thrust-Bot like this.
intermediatic is offline  
post #73 of 567 Old 05-15-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Thinking about the new Q8. Just checking here to make sure the Vudu app streams in 4k/UHD. If the Q7 does I'm sure it will.

6P - AVR5810 - EF9500 - Dish - Xbox1S
tcat is online now  
post #74 of 567 Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lethean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by intermediatic View Post
People seem to like rtings.com and their review is out. The Q7FN got an 8.2, with the sorest spot being “bad” local dimming. Well yeah, although my wife thought I was crazy enough spending $4,000 for a TV. I wouldn’t want to hear what she’d say if I’d spent $6,000.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q7fn
I just saw their review right now. I wasn't even considering this set until I read their review. I really want FALD but I have a KS8000 and the black levels aren't horrible. If Samsung didn't price this the same as the X900F I'd likely just go buy this tv if it was $500 lower or something. I love the gaming score it received from rtings however.

Lethean is offline  
post #75 of 567 Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Much better price than Q8, same reading.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q8fn

6P - AVR5810 - EF9500 - Dish - Xbox1S
tcat is online now  
post #76 of 567 Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 PM
Member
 
intermediatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I couldn’t tell much difference between the Q7FN and Q8FN except I mount the TV in the wall. Having one cable going to the set and all my connections in a nearby cabinet instead of randomly on the floor is great!
intermediatic is offline  
post #77 of 567 Old 05-16-2018, 05:04 AM
Member
 
intermediatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Thinking about the new Q8. Just checking here to make sure the Vudu app streams in 4k/UHD. If the Q7 does I'm sure it will.

6P - AVR5810 - EF9500 - Dish - Xbox1S
I don’t see why the Q7FN wouldn’t. Netflix and Amazon stream in 4K/UHD. If the Q8FN streams Vudu in 4K/UHD, it’d be bizarre for the Q7FN not to,
intermediatic is offline  
post #78 of 567 Old 05-16-2018, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gib6717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by intermediatic View Post
I don’t see why the Q7FN wouldn’t. Netflix and Amazon stream in 4K/UHD. If the Q8FN streams Vudu in 4K/UHD, it’d be bizarre for the Q7FN not to,
The Q7 definitely streams Vudu in 4k. I've been on a cheap UHD code buying tear since I've gotten this TV.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Gib6717 is offline  
post #79 of 567 Old 05-16-2018, 05:13 AM
Member
 
intermediatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
From the rtings review.

Yes, this sleeper has the best color gamut...
The 2018 Q7F has an impressive color gamut. It covers practically the entire P3 color space, and has the best Rec 2020 coverage of any TV we have reviewed. HDR content will look very close to what the creator intended.

The color gamut is even wider than the Q8FN.
intermediatic is offline  
post #80 of 567 Old 05-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Member
 
intermediatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Firmware 1103 is out. I was able to update in set. Also the iOS apps have been updated. Don’t know what the difference is, but since it’s the same firmware as Q9FN, which gets so much more traffic on this site, I am hoping it will address the TV’s tendency to randomly turn off.

Last edited by intermediatic; 05-22-2018 at 12:47 PM.
intermediatic is offline  
post #81 of 567 Old 05-24-2018, 04:13 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Firmware v1103 isn't available in Europe yet and I tried installing the US but with no joy. (Perhaps I did something wrong?)
I assume the US firmware isn't compatible with the EU models.
RagingAvatar is offline  
post #82 of 567 Old 05-24-2018, 11:51 AM
Member
 
mlmcasual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Detroit Mi
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I just got the 2018 Q7FN this week.. My old tv is the samsung 2015 JS8500 which is samsung's first Quantum dot TV..

I had originally planned on getting the Q9, or Q8.. but the Rting's review and seeing the Q7 in person changed all that...

The Q7FN performs BETTER then the Q8Fn and even Q9Fn in several areas.. namely;

Uniformity... The Q7 Is significantly better uniformity (less Dirty Screen Effect) then the Q8,Q9.. I am very sensitive to DSE so this is important to me..
Brightness.. The Q7 Is brighter then both the q8 Q9 and half the ABL (auto bright limiter)...
Color gamut/volume.. the Q7fn has wider gamut and wider color volume then both the Q8fn, and q9fn..
Input Lag... The Q7 has (slightly) less input lag then the Q9, and Q8.. and (I believe) has the wides gamut and volume on the market.. at any price.
Price.. The Q7 is signficantly less money then the Q9.. and less then Q8...


The only thing going for the Q8,Q9 is the zone lighting which can produce better blacks in adjacent zones... The Q7 is edge lit so does not produce as deep of absolute blacks - however the Q7's blacks are excellent and in anything other then Dark room will have blacks that look Coal black like an Oled.

In actual use.. the Q7FN (in my home) is absolutely Stunning... it definitively has an "OLED look" to it in bright to dimly lit room having very high native contrast (5,500) and good blacks.. . In a completely dark room, the Deepest blacks will not be as good as the q8, q9 and oled.. but still very good. Much better then years past Edge lits.. Just to compare My 2015 to the Q7.. the Q7 darkest blacks are significantly darker..

I had already been looking at the Q9 for some time in best buy.. When I first saw the Q7 (at a local ABC warehouse).. I was stunned.. I was NOT expecting the Q7 to look so good which looked to be as good or better then the Q9.. This was before the Rting came out... In my mind, there is no way a Q7 should look as good or better then a q9... but the Rting specs don't lie.. and you can see with your eye.. I am sure it wasn't intended but the fact the Q7 has a better picture in terms of the uniformity, brightness, gamut/volume really makes it a no brainer.. Not to say the Q8 and Q9 are "bad" they are amazing TV's and will produce great pictures..

Samsung 2018 65" Q7FN 4k HDR Edgelit TV
Denon 2015 X1200W AVR
HTPC with I7, and 1080TI SLI
Klipsch RF 82 tower reference speakers. in full 5.1 config.
mlmcasual is offline  
post #83 of 567 Old 05-25-2018, 04:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't even know if I can ask this here (sorry if I can't), but I'm really curious: is the lack of FALD something as terrible as reviewers speak of?
My TV is 9 years old and for the price point I'm looking into everyone seems to recommend me the Sony 900F. However, for many reasons I'm trying to avoid Android TV at all costs.
I like the Q7FN design, I love the remote, Tizen seems to be getting better and the one connect is amazing.
But would I really be losing that much on picture quality over the competition just because it doesn't have FALD?
uaiandre is offline  
post #84 of 567 Old 05-25-2018, 04:55 PM
Member
 
mlmcasual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Detroit Mi
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Ok.. several days in now with my q7FN..
I am using this as a both a TV and monitor - connected to an HTPC running 1080TI SLIs. The brightness of this TV is INSANE.. I believe it is the brightest Tv on the market ..
800 nits Full screen sustained brightness.. vs 630nit for the sony 900F, 680 for the Q9Fn, and a sad 152 nit C8 Oled.. The q7 can also do over 2000nit for 10%...

What is 800nit brightness like? It's eye searing.. literally... You have to be careful not to drive it over 30 (backlight goes 1 to 50) because if you get blasted with 800nit pure white it hurts your eyes even during the day and is outright painful even for a split second at night... no joke.. The punch of this screen in games and it's highest color gamut on the market makes the picture a sight to behold.. Having both the brightest and widest color gamut on the market means replaying old PC games is like playing new games..

The uniformity is the real cherry on top.. The uniformity is excellent.. both at the bright end and at the low end.. In a completely dark room and a completely black screen there is almost no perceptible clouding.. It's there but right on the edge of being perceptible - and I have very discriminating eyes for flaws.. On anything other then a full dark room.. you won't see any clouding on black screen whatsoever since with any lights on at all, blacks appear near coal black to the eye... I test blacks out by using a large cross hair on screen like RTings does to defeat local dimming..

The colors look very inky on this set.. thought not as Inky as an oled, it comes much closer then past LCD TVs to that Oled look.... The q9fn has a slight edge on the q7 for dark colors but not by by much..

IMO, This TV is the biggest bang for the buck in 2018..
srkmish and Thrust-Bot like this.

Samsung 2018 65" Q7FN 4k HDR Edgelit TV
Denon 2015 X1200W AVR
HTPC with I7, and 1080TI SLI
Klipsch RF 82 tower reference speakers. in full 5.1 config.
mlmcasual is offline  
post #85 of 567 Old 05-25-2018, 05:18 PM
Member
 
mlmcasual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Detroit Mi
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by uaiandre View Post
I don't even know if I can ask this here (sorry if I can't), but I'm really curious: is the lack of FALD something as terrible as reviewers speak of?
My TV is 9 years old and for the price point I'm looking into everyone seems to recommend me the Sony 900F. However, for many reasons I'm trying to avoid Android TV at all costs.
I like the Q7FN design, I love the remote, Tizen seems to be getting better and the one connect is amazing.
But would I really be losing that much on picture quality over the competition just because it doesn't have FALD?

Going from a nine year old set to the q7FN would be like someone with a horse and buggy trading up to a Mustang Cobra. I just went from a two year old high end quantum dot TV (js8500) and it was night and day in every category- color gamut, brightness, black levels...

The FALD has ONE advantage going for it and a number of disadvantages.. The advantage is lower black levels under VERY specific conditions.. those conditions being where part of the picture is very dark but not all of the picture is very dark.. For example.. a dark scene in batman where the screen is all shades of grey is going to look the same on a FALD as it is on edge lit.. That is where an Oled is going to be the winner when viewed in a dark room.. For a scene like a star destroyer in jet black outer space, the q9 FALD is going to look better especially viewed in a dark room vs the edge lit..
But FALD has an inherent disadvanatge and that is poor(er) uniformity then a good edge lit (like the q7. Some people are more sensitive to non-uniformity (dirty screen effect) then others.. I am very sensitive to it so is a reason I steered clear of the Q9fn..

You have to know though, that a picture is comprised of Multiple characteristics...

Contrast Ratio (native) and localized..
Black Level performance and absolute black levels..
Screen Uniformity
Reflectance..
Black Level of the screen from reflections..
Color gamut and volume..
Full screen and local peak and sustained brightness..
ABL- (auto brightness limiting)
Viewing angle..
Motion Handling..


The Q series does some things better then anyone else. the screen is antiflective but also dosen't allow reflections to cross contaminate the apparent black levels.. this means "blacks" appear much inkier then on other TVs.. The Q7FN can actually have Darker looking blacks in a lit room then even an Oled.. (seems counterintuitive ) but becasue samsung's new screen it makes the screen itself look coal black..


To answer your question.. is FALD worth it? depends.. For me, when watching star wars at night during a space scene I would rather be watching the Q9FN or Oled... but for everything else the q7 edge litis as good or better.. THe edge lit has come a LONG way..
srkmish, Thrust-Bot and uaiandre like this.

Samsung 2018 65" Q7FN 4k HDR Edgelit TV
Denon 2015 X1200W AVR
HTPC with I7, and 1080TI SLI
Klipsch RF 82 tower reference speakers. in full 5.1 config.

Last edited by mlmcasual; 05-25-2018 at 05:23 PM.
mlmcasual is offline  
post #86 of 567 Old 05-25-2018, 05:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmcasual View Post
Going from a nine year old set to the q7FN would be like someone with a horse and buggy trading up to a Mustang Cobra. I just went from a two year old high end quantum dot TV (js8500) and it was night and day in every category- color gamut, brightness, black levels...

The FALD has ONE advantage going for it and a number of disadvantages.. The advantage is lower black levels under VERY specific conditions.. those conditions being where part of the picture is very dark but not all of the picture is very dark.. For example.. a dark scene in batman where the screen is all shades of grey is going to look the same on a FALD as it is on edge lit.. That is where an Oled is going to be the winner when viewed in a dark room.. For a scene like a star destroyer in jet black outer space, the q9 FALD is going to look better especially viewed in a dark room vs the edge lit..
But FALD has an inherent disadvanatge and that is poor(er) uniformity then a good edge lit (like the q7. Some people are more sensitive to non-uniformity (dirty screen effect) then others.. I am very sensitive to it so is a reason I steered clear of the Q9fn..

You have to know though, that a picture is comprised of Multiple characteristics...

Contrast Ratio (native) and localized..
Black Level performance and absolute black levels..
Screen Uniformity
Reflectance..
Black Level of the screen from reflections..
Color gamut and volume..
Full screen and local peak and sustained brightness..
ABL- (auto brightness limiting)
Viewing angle..
Motion Handling..


The Q series does some things better then anyone else. the screen is antiflective but also dosen't allow reflections to cross contaminate the apparent black levels.. this means "blacks" appear much inkier then on other TVs.. The Q7FN can actually have Darker looking blacks in a lit room then even an Oled.. (seems counterintuitive ) but becasue samsung's new screen it makes the screen itself look coal black..


To answer your question.. is FALD worth it? depends.. For me, when watching star wars at night during a space scene I would rather be watching the Q9FN or Oled... but for everything else the q7 edge litis as good or better.. THe edge lit has come a LONG way..
Thanks for the reply, your thoughts are very helpful!
uaiandre is offline  
post #87 of 567 Old 05-26-2018, 07:12 AM
Member
 
Thrust-Bot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Northern Iowa
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 80
A few weeks back I purchased the curved version of this panel, 55Q7CN.

I have it wall mounted and use it as my primary pc monitor. I do game on it alot using Battlefield 1 at 120hz 1440p resolution. It looks really good and panel feels really snappy. Im coming from a 165hz 1440p g-sync monitor that I will never use again.

This tv has surpassed my expectations in every way. Overall picture is sharp and crystal clear. Shadows are deep and rich. I am seated about 48 inches away from the screen. When playing Battfield 1 on pc the immersion level is very high, I feel like im inside of the game. This panel has zero manufacturing defects, no dse, no banding, I can't say those things about my Q9FN.

Also I have in my possession, as you can see in the pics below, the cheaper curved version 55nu8500 panel. The NU8500 can do everything the q7 can, but it just does not have that pop in color and added sharpness to the picture that the q7 brings to the table. The nu8500 is going to my work place, but I did game on it for about a week, and I can say that I prefer the q7. The Q7 picture looks better and feels a bit faster to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180504_123216.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2407740   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180515_182157.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2407742   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180504_181535.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	2407744   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180526_075801.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2407746  

75Q8FN
65Q9FN
55Q7CN
Thrust-Bot is online now  
post #88 of 567 Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 AM
Member
 
mlmcasual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Detroit Mi
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 123
On a audio subject Regarding the 2018 Q series, (Q7,8,9)... These Samsung Tv's incorporate an HDMI Low Latency mode that causes HDM handshaking issues with Denon Receivers. Denon Receivers will NOT pass through 4K 60hz 4:4:4 / HDR signals without a Denon Side Firmware Update. Some Newer 2018 Denon Recievers have gotten this firmware update but older models 2017 will not get the firmware update (if ever) until later this summer as reported by Denon.

I use my Q7FN as a computer monitor and my 2015 Denon X1200W no longer will pass through a full 4K 4:4:4. For my computer, the workaround I do is
1) hook up the GPU HDMI output directly to the TV-(to get full 4K video)..
2) I then run a passive Display Port to HDMI cable from my GPU Displayport to my denon receiver
3) In GPU control panel, enable multiple displays. Set the Second Display as small as possible since it won't actually be viewed
4) In GPU control panel "setup digital audio" turn off samsung while enabling Denon
5) In windows sound setup- make sure Denon is selected as source and then set for 5.1 or whatever speakers you have

Note:.. why not use fiber optic out of computer? Because fiber optic was only supporting stereo into denon..

Samsung 2018 65" Q7FN 4k HDR Edgelit TV
Denon 2015 X1200W AVR
HTPC with I7, and 1080TI SLI
Klipsch RF 82 tower reference speakers. in full 5.1 config.

Last edited by mlmcasual; 05-27-2018 at 08:36 AM.
mlmcasual is offline  
post #89 of 567 Old 05-29-2018, 11:55 AM
Member
 
LunaP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Might be shot for this but debating on taking my q9fn back in exchange for the q7fn just for the brightness / color volume, I have hte 2017 q7n and loved it but next to my q9fn it pales in comparison but some of the colors on the old q7 still come in deeper as well as blacks due to the brightness? I've calibrated it many times as well and got it very close on the q9 but that diff in gamut from the q7fn and the q9fn is making me want to give the q7 another shot since I only use this as a PC monitor. I did disable local dimming on my q9 but at half the ABL on the q7 as people have mentioned I may be getting more bang for my buck with this instead. Does anyone know if other stands exist for the q7 or if its only the single stand?


I'll probably pick one up from Fry's/bestbuy and test them side by side then take 1 back after. The one thing that does stand out between the q7 and the q9 is the contrast though, wow, hoping the q7fn contrast lives up to the hype.



**edit**

Reading up again is making me feel like its the right decision though!

Last edited by LunaP; 05-29-2018 at 12:38 PM.
LunaP is offline  
post #90 of 567 Old 05-29-2018, 02:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaP View Post
Might be shot for this but debating on taking my q9fn back in exchange for the q7fn just for the brightness / color volume, I have hte 2017 q7n and loved it but next to my q9fn it pales in comparison but some of the colors on the old q7 still come in deeper as well as blacks due to the brightness? I've calibrated it many times as well and got it very close on the q9 but that diff in gamut from the q7fn and the q9fn is making me want to give the q7 another shot since I only use this as a PC monitor. I did disable local dimming on my q9 but at half the ABL on the q7 as people have mentioned I may be getting more bang for my buck with this instead. Does anyone know if other stands exist for the q7 or if its only the single stand?


I'll probably pick one up from Fry's/bestbuy and test them side by side then take 1 back after. The one thing that does stand out between the q7 and the q9 is the contrast though, wow, hoping the q7fn contrast lives up to the hype.



**edit**

Reading up again is making me feel like its the right decision though!
It supports multiple stands in the UK at least, pretty sure it will in the US too. It has the easel style one that's very nice. All this brightness stuff has me confused. I thought the q9 is brighter at 2k nits than the q7 at 1.5k nits.
iambasil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2018 , q7fn , qled , Samsung , uhd



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off