1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green

post #1 of 10 Old 11-11-2018, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thinking about upgrading, has the Elite Screen CineWhite changed over the years?

So I have a JVC DLA-X55R, with an older 110" Elite Screens Silver Frame with Cinewhite material. Its possibly 108", and from 2007-2008.

I am thinking about getting a 120" or even a 135" Elite Screen Sable Frame with Cinewhite. The new screen says 4k ready and such.

Has the material improved over the years? Or would the only difference be the size(since I am going a little bigger)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-12-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Here is a bump. I am also looking at these. In 110" for my X30. I wonder how they perform on 4K compared to the Da-Lite Affinity series.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-09-2019, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
Here is a bump. I am also looking at these. In 110" for my X30. I wonder how they perform on 4K compared to the Da-Lite Affinity series.
Well it turns out I have an Elite Screens CineGrey 108" projection screen. I ordered some samples and the Cinegrey has not changed from 10 years ago. At least in my opinion.

Looking at the samples I had compared to my Cinegrey:
the Cinewhite was significantly brighter, but terrible with some lights on, also the screen loses Black level.
the Cinegrey 3D was the same brightness as the Cinegrey, but was much better with the lights on.
the Cinegrey 5D was awesome. Its as bright as the Cinewhite, blacker than the CineGrey and rejects light as well as the Cinegrey 3D.

The Cinegrey 5D is literally the best of all three combined. But I do not have the money for it. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-10-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 3302 Post(s)
Liked: 2405
For future reference, screen companies typically do not change the formulation of existing screen models to improve performance once they're in production. When they come up with performance improvements they usually introduce a new model line with a new name because most consumers are more attracted to new product lines with better performance than they are to older product lines with performance improvements.
iceatola likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
For future reference, screen companies typically do not change the formulation of existing screen models to improve performance once they're in production. When they come up with performance improvements they usually introduce a new model line with a new name because most consumers are more attracted to new product lines with better performance than they are to older product lines with performance improvements.
In the past, the Cinegrey and Cinewhite were not advertised as 4k. So I was wondering if something changed that made these more suitable for 4k.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post
In the past, the Cinegrey and Cinewhite were not advertised as 4k. So I was wondering if something changed that made these more suitable for 4k.
When CineGrey and CineWhite were introduced there were no 4K projectors so of course they wouldn't have been advertised as 4K compatible. There is no industry standard for 4K compatible screens. It's a marketing term.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

The Cinegrey 5D is literally the best of all three combined. But I do not have the money for it. :/
Note the cinegrey/white are lambertian screens with no half gain. The cinegrey 5d has a 40° half gain and will show hot spotting and will be much darker for those seated to the sides.
http://res.cloudinary.com/buyavproj...CineGrey5D.png

I believe the cinewhite uhd is a new material, the cinewhite posted gain is 1.1 and the cinewhite uhd is 1.15, the texture looks different in the photos. Google cinewhite and cinewhite uhd pdf.

I'm leaning towards the best budget ALR material right now being the XY Screen Black Crystal. 90% ambient light rejection, 160°half gain, low sheen/sparkle, very affordable.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
When CineGrey and CineWhite were introduced there were no 4K projectors so of course they wouldn't have been advertised as 4K compatible. There is no industry standard for 4K compatible screens. It's a marketing term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Note the cinegrey/white are lambertian screens with no half gain. The cinegrey 5d has a 40° half gain and will show hot spotting and will be much darker for those seated to the sides.
http://res.cloudinary.com/buyavproj...CineGrey5D.png

I believe the cinewhite uhd is a new material, the cinewhite posted gain is 1.1 and the cinewhite uhd is 1.15, the texture looks different in the photos. Google cinewhite and cinewhite uhd pdf.

I'm leaning towards the best budget ALR material right now being the XY Screen Black Crystal. 90% ambient light rejection, 160°half gain, low sheen/sparkle, very affordable.
Dave in Green seems to disagree.

about the Cine Grey 5D, My theater is pretty narrow, at 135" all seats will be looking straight at the screen. Would it be a problem if someone on the right side of the screen looks at something on the left?
post #9 of 10 Old 01-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Dave in Green seems to disagree.

about the Cine Grey 5D, My theater is pretty narrow, at 135" all seats will be looking straight at the screen. Would it be a problem if someone on the right side of the screen looks at something on the left?
If the viewing angle is 40° then yes, the other side of the screen will be half as bright. You can request samples or buy them off amazon of the 5d, hold it up in front of the projector and move off to the side, you should clearly see the light drop off. It may not be something you find distracting when watching something, espacially with the trade off for ALR.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dave in Green seems to disagree. ...
There are multiple types of CineWhite and CineGrey (CineWhite, CineWhite UHD, CineGrey, CineGrey 3D, CineGrey 5D). The post I was responding to just mentioned CineWhite and CineGrey, which were introduced before 4K projectors were around. The UHD, 3D and 5D versions have different formulations from the basic CineWhite and CineGrey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens