171Likes

post #1 of 316 Old 10-27-2018, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Official Sony VPL-VW695ES Owners Thread

Received a 695ES earlier this week and have it mounted and operational.

Initial Impressions

I would say this is exactly what you would expect if you have owned a previous 4K Sony projector. It has the same attributes of those models with improvements that finally bring the package together. It's nice not to have to worry about banding with 4K/60/HDR and to have the option to use MotionFlow on 4K Sources. I have only checked out a few games and am now watching some college football and I don't have any complaints. If something catches my eye I will update this thread with any new impressions.

Manufature Links
Sony VPL-VW695ES
Statup Guide

Improvements

Full 4K/60/HDR Support
Improved Motion Flow
Improved Lens function for lens memory and adjustment.
Improved input lag (21-27ms)
Improved Reality Creation

Reviews

http://www.avforums.com/review/sony...s-review.15527
http://cine4home.de/sony-vpl-vw270-v...serienschnitt/
http://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog...is-de-gregory/

Video Reviews

Sources

Lumagen Pro
Anthem AVM60
Kalediscape Strato
HTPC 1080ti
Oppo 203
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	2474454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1221.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2474456  

Last edited by kaotikr1; 01-05-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 316 Old 10-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Nice.

I was thinking of getting this but ultimately decided not to.

Looking forward in reading user reviews and observations.
post #3 of 316 Old 10-27-2018, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Congratulations! I'm envious. I'm still rocking my VW80! (but looking to jump into 4K)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 316 Old 10-27-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 6066 Post(s)
Liked: 5471
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
Didnt you have an 885ES?

How come you got this one?

Hows the lens sample you got?

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #5 of 316 Old 10-27-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I demoed a production 695es today regarding the smooth motion and the Sony rep said, "there was no improvements made to the algorithm other then it now works with 4K sources".
And I can concur with this, I had 3 Blu-ray's in hand with some difficult passages for FI and the artifacts that were generated were the same as my 300es.
If someone wants to know what discs they were and at what times, I will post that, just quote this post.

As far as picture quality, brightness and contrast, it wasn't night and day to my 300es, certainly not 13,000.00$ worth.
AVU was useing a 1.3 gain screen in a very small room, about 12 x 12, so it was too bright, I think the screen should have been 1to1, or even .9 to 1, the same as mine.

As far as contrast, it wasn't a mind blowing differnce to my 300es, as always I would have to have a side by side comparison to see the difference when viewing a movie and in this case, it was "Ant-man/Wasp" in UHD.
The fact that the room was so small and the screen had too much gain made a poor demo for contrast even though the room was totaly light controlled with dark brown walls.

Picture quality, detail, colour, and sharpness were all very similar to my 300es, and again, in order to see any difference, a side by side comparison would gave to be done with some serious pixel peeping.

Last edited by JeffR1; 10-27-2018 at 07:08 PM.
post #6 of 316 Old 10-27-2018, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2685 Post(s)
Liked: 1577
Quote:

Improved input lag (21-27ms)
Improved Reality Creation
How's the new reality creation do with 4K games?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 316 Old 10-27-2018, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Didnt you have an 885ES?

How come you got this one?

Hows the lens sample you got?
Yes I did, I actually sold that quite a while ago to pursue expanding my room and at the time was looking to go with maybe an RS4500 or Sony 5000. We ended up having to rework a quarter of our basement due to some water damage and that was quite expensive. So the room remodel was nixed for the foreseeable future.

I got this model because I wanted something with low input lag and checked all the other boxes for me at this time. I know what I am likely giving up against the new JVCs but I still think this Sony throws a great picture.

Lens sample is excellent. I think I got a great sample which I am happy about.
Kris Deering and Archibald1 like this.

Lind Family HT
HT - - ST130 - Anthem AVM 60 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual Rythmik FV15HP's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
post #8 of 316 Old 10-27-2018, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
How's the new reality creation do with 4K games?
It's excellent! It's been a number of months since I had a 385ES in the room so I can't recall from memory how that looked, but this is looking excellent so far.

Lind Family HT
HT - - ST130 - Anthem AVM 60 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual Rythmik FV15HP's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
post #9 of 316 Old 11-07-2018, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've got the European equivalent VW570 (why does Sony still name them different in parts of the world?), and it is a great projector.

However, I feel the picture in HDR10 4k is a bit too dark -- or more exactly dark details are not visible. In non-HDR modes this can be changed by the Gamma setting, but in HDR more there is no Gamma setting available.

Has anyone figured out a way to get more details in the dark in HDR10 mode by changing settings? Which settings and how?

thanks!
post #10 of 316 Old 11-07-2018, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Any word perhaps on how the HDR reference mode works? Also when compared to using Panasonic's HDR optimizer?
post #11 of 316 Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5567 Post(s)
Liked: 5570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post

As far as picture quality, brightness and contrast, it wasn't night and day to my 300es, certainly not 13,000.00$ worth.
AVU was useing a 1.3 gain screen in a very small room, about 12 x 12, so it was too bright, I think the screen should have been 1to1, or even .9 to 1, the same as mine.
That's alot of coin in Canada......

Quote:

I would say this is exactly what you would expect if you have owned a previous 4K Sony projector. It has the same attributes of those models with improvements that finally bring the package together. It's nice not to have to worry about banding with 4K/60/HDR and to have the option to use MotionFlow on 4K Sources. I have only checked out a few games and am now watching some college football and I don't have any complaints. If something catches my eye I will update this thread with any new impressions.
Glad you are liking it...What did you do with the 385ES?
post #12 of 316 Old 11-07-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by obstler View Post
I've got the European equivalent VW570 (why does Sony still name them different in parts of the world?), and it is a great projector.

However, I feel the picture in HDR10 4k is a bit too dark -- or more exactly dark details are not visible. In non-HDR modes this can be changed by the Gamma setting, but in HDR more there is no Gamma setting available.

Has anyone figured out a way to get more details in the dark in HDR10 mode by changing settings? Which settings and how?

thanks!
That, I believe, is what the HDR Contrast slider is for. 100 makes the whole picture brighter and 0 makes it a lot darker.

Certain values pertain to certain mastering NIT levels. I think 70 was the setting for 1000nit masters but I am not sure.

Have a play with it and see what difference it makes.

Also make sure HDMI signal format is set to 'Enhanced' and Dynamic Range is set to 'Limited'.
cemo62 likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #13 of 316 Old 11-08-2018, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Any word perhaps on how the HDR reference mode works? Also when compared to using Panasonic's HDR optimizer?
I don't have an answer on this one because I use a Lumagen Pro for Tone Mapping.

Lind Family HT
post #14 of 316 Old 11-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't have an answer on this one because I use a Lumagen Pro for Tone Mapping.
Alright.

Since you also happen to have owned the 385ES (which I currently own), how do they compare in your opinion? The obvious and most important differences for me personally would be more lumens and no more banding during 4K/HDR @ 60hz. But other than that, would you say there is a big difference?
post #15 of 316 Old 11-08-2018, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Alright.

Since you also happen to have owned the 385ES (which I currently own), how do they compare in your opinion? The obvious and most important differences for me personally would be more lumens and no more banding during 4K/HDR @ 60hz. But other than that, would you say there is a big difference?
No big differences. I would say reality creation seems a bit more detailed. Input lag in 4K has been reduced to 21ms-27ms depending on if you believe JVC or Sony. If you enjoy the picture your 385ES throws then I think you would be more than happy with a 695ES.

Lind Family HT
post #16 of 316 Old 11-08-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
No big differences. I would say reality creation seems a bit more detailed. Input lag in 4K has been reduced to 21ms-27ms depending on if you believe JVC or Sony. If you enjoy the picture your 385ES throws then I think you would be more than happy with a 695ES.
You have a PM.
post #17 of 316 Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3294 Post(s)
Liked: 5298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
That, I believe, is what the HDR Contrast slider is for. 100 makes the whole picture brighter and 0 makes it a lot darker.

Certain values pertain to certain mastering NIT levels. I think 70 was the setting for 1000nit masters but I am not sure.

Also make sure HDMI signal format is set to 'Enhanced' and Dynamic Range is set to 'Limited'.
I talked with the Sony engineers about this before CEDIA. The issue they have (and pretty much all the other PJ manufacturers) is that they setup the contrast adjustment to center around what nit value you are trying to tone map to. So 1000 nits, 2000 nits, 4000 nits, etc. But they don't have anything that provides an input to the projector on what your actual peak brightness level is with your setup. So these tone maps are all generica to a peak white value that we don't know and probably isn't anywhere near yours. From what I've been told, Sony sets their tone map by zooming the image to the size of their flat panel (which thereby creates a VERY high peak brightness level) and then adjusts their tone map to PQ and then assumes that it will stay linear for larger screens. That does not work. They need to have a tone map adjustment that centers on a peak value and then an adjustment for telling the projector how bright it is for that tone map. This is what you see with the Panasonic UB820 and the Radiance Pro and so far it looks like the new JVC models will do something similar.

I'm hoping I got through to the Sony engineers on this, but it is hard to say. If I do a review of one of the new projectors I will definitely bring it up in hopes that it can be added later or in future models.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
post #18 of 316 Old 11-08-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post

I've changed the HDR contrast slider to 70 instead of the default 60, but it barely makes a difference. The other settings were set as you specified already.

Unfortunately all dark detail is still completely lost. The picture is bright enough, colors are great, contrast (except for the darker parts) is also good -- just all low brightness detail is lost.In Germany there are some dealers that provide adjustments in the service menu to address that issue, but I haven't been able to get any more details on how exactly the do that, so I'm still hoping for some knowledgeable users to figure out a way to change the gamma/low light detail for HDR...
post #19 of 316 Old 11-09-2018, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1960
Quote:
I've changed the HDR contrast slider to 70 instead of the default 60, but it barely makes a difference. The other settings were set as you specified already.

Unfortunately all dark detail is still completely lost. The picture is bright enough, colors are great, contrast (except for the darker parts) is also good -- just all low brightness detail is lost.In Germany there are some dealers that provide adjustments in the service menu to address that issue, but I haven't been able to get any more details on how exactly the do that, so I'm still hoping for some knowledgeable users to figure out a way to change the gamma/low light detail for HDR...
You can load custom HDR curves in the Sony (just like in the JVC). There are instructions in the Sony 385 thread if you look for it. A much simpler solution is to buy the Panasonic blu ray player with the HDR optimizer that does auto tone mapping (in the U.S. the model number is Panasonic 820 but in Europe it probably is something slightly different).

BTW, I love Austria. So beautiful. Both my parents were born there and I have gone back several times on vacation. I was born in Belgium but grew up after age 7 here in the U.S.
post #20 of 316 Old 11-09-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi.
Also, make sure you are on high bulb for HDR, as any less is not going to give enough brightness to do it proper justice.

Using custom curves can allow use of low bulb but as HDR is supposed to use more colour and brightness then ideally you want as much of the latter as you can get without compromising the picture too much...... Which, with projectors of course, you will ultimately have to do a lot of!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #21 of 316 Old 11-09-2018, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats with your VW695.
Will the German Gamma Curves of the 385 work on this 695?
post #22 of 316 Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Congrats with your VW695.
Will the German Gamma Curves of the 385 work on this 695?

I just tried it and it works.

Does make a difference for dark detail, but there are some drawbacks, too. I think brighter scenes are overexposed in some colors, like too much red in skin tones (faces), but might be able to tweak some of that. And then there's the fact that you have to manually switch modes all the time for HDR/non-HDR content, so it's not ideal either.

I've read about the Panasonic player, but need a solution for non-disc media/streaming. Maybe HTPC with madVR and on the fly custom tone mapping would work...
SpykeSIK likes this.
post #23 of 316 Old 11-13-2018, 01:44 AM

I think we need to stop comparing the former versions with the new Sony's, because things do work really different
I've seen the VW695 at my friends house.
German gamma curves are not nbeccesary anymore.
With the VW395 the blacks where crushed because it stayed on SDR level and it was impossible to raise this for HDR.
Now at the VW695 you can easily raise Black level from SDR to HDR by setting Brightness at 57.
With the HDMI dynamic range still on Limited
So Sony did take a serious look at HDR this time.
It also works fully automatic this way, going from SDR to HSR.
cemo62 and Archibald1 like this.
post #24 of 316 Old 11-13-2018, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I've read about the Panasonic player, but need a solution for non-disc media/streaming. Maybe HTPC with madVR and on the fly custom tone mapping would work...
I'm looking for the same...
post #25 of 316 Old 11-13-2018, 05:31 AM

We were playing with the sharpness and reallity creation, but we're not sure what settings to use.
When you look at it too long, every setting looks the same.
Some put sharpening on 0 and RC very low.
Not sure about that, but the default setting are very high.
What do the professionals think?
post #26 of 316 Old 11-13-2018, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just tried it and it works.

Does make a difference for dark detail, but there are some drawbacks, too. I think brighter scenes are overexposed in some colors, like too much red in skin tones (faces), but might be able to tweak some of that. And then there's the fact that you have to manually switch modes all the time for HDR/non-HDR content, so it's not ideal either.

Hi.
Make sure you change the colours as recommended for the German curves as it makes the whole package.

Also the UB820 HDR optimser works for discs AND the internal streaming apps too. So if you get one and use the internal apps, then you will be okay.

Stephen Hawking.
post #27 of 316 Old 11-13-2018, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
I think we need to stop comparing the former versions with the new Sony's, because things do work really different
I've seen the VW695 at my friends house.
German gamma curves are not nbeccesary anymore.
With the VW395 the blacks where crushed because it stayed on SDR level and it was impossible to raise this for HDR.
Now at the VW695 you can easily raise Black level from SDR to HDR by setting Brightness at 57.
With the HDMI dynamic range still on Limited
So Sony did take a serious look at HDR this time.
It also works fully automatic this way, going from SDR to HSR.
Indeed! The better processing has changing the relevant settings so much, that the settings used on the outgoing units cannot really be used for comparison on these new units. Especially in HDR.

Stephen Hawking.
post #28 of 316 Old 11-13-2018, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I was able to check out BF5 running on my HTPC. It looks awesome at 4K60. I am not sure if one can really tell a 10-15ms reduction in input lag, but playing with the M/KB felt extremely responsive and I feel like it felt quicker but it could just be me knowing it is quicker than the JVC I had.

Lind Family HT
post #29 of 316 Old 11-13-2018, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. I purchased a 665es a few months back for my DIY home theater project. I've just gotten around to firing it up, and while it is delivering a gorgeous picture, the Power/Stanby light and warning light are not coming on. This was a "damaged box" unit that I was told was returned to Sony and recertified before being sold. Is there a setting that may have disabled these indicators, or am I just doing something wrong? Or, should I contact the dealer or Sony for a warranty repair? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim
post #30 of 316 Old 11-13-2018, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by timarmstrong View Post
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. I purchased a 665es a few months back for my DIY home theater project. I've just gotten around to firing it up, and while it is delivering a gorgeous picture, the Power/Stanby light and warning light are not coming on. This was a "damaged box" unit that I was told was returned to Sony and recertified before being sold. Is there a setting that may have disabled these indicators, or am I just doing something wrong? Or, should I contact the dealer or Sony for a warranty repair? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim
Also, I am feeding the 665es with an Apple TV 4K. Is there any way to get it to recognize the HDR signal from the Apple TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP