Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
JVC NX7 - Zoom Question

New to the forum, so go easy on me... lol
I ordered a NX7 a few months ago and am justing finishing my new media room while I wait for it to show up. My projector will be 13' 2" from the screen, which puts the zoom pretty much at max I think. How does this affect the picture quality? My screen size is 125" and 2.35:1. Screen has a gain of 1.1 and room is light controlled....

Thanks!
kennyz06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyz06 View Post
New to the forum, so go easy on me... lol
I ordered a NX7 a few months ago and am justing finishing my new media room while I wait for it to show up. My projector will be 13' 2" from the screen, which puts the zoom pretty much at max I think. How does this affect the picture quality? My screen size is 125" and 2.35:1. Screen has a gain of 1.1 and room is light controlled....

Thanks!
Sounds pretty good actually. I run my projectors max zoom, too. The closer the projector, the more light you'll get at expense of a little bit of contrast, but you won't notice the difference in contrast in my opinion.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyz06 View Post
New to the forum, so go easy on me... lol
I ordered a NX7 a few months ago and am justing finishing my new media room while I wait for it to show up. My projector will be 13' 2" from the screen, which puts the zoom pretty much at max I think. How does this affect the picture quality? My screen size is 125" and 2.35:1. Screen has a gain of 1.1 and room is light controlled....

Thanks!
I don't think your setup will work. According the JVC manual the min projection distance for a 120 inch screen is 158.3 inches (125 is not in the manual but it will be more). That is distance from the lens to the screen, not the back of the projector. Also, best to stay away from being at the extremes of zoom incase of variability between units, and due to the fact that all lenses have more distortion at the extremes of zoom (both wide and tele)
malba2366 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
I don't think your setup will work. According the JVC manual the min projection distance for a 120 inch screen is 158.3 inches (125 is not in the manual but it will be more). That is distance from the lens to the screen, not the back of the projector. Also, best to stay away from being at the extremes of zoom incase of variability between units, and due to the fact that all lenses have more distortion at the extremes of zoom (both wide and tele)
So, its actually 161 inches to the front of the projector box, and I can push it back a few more inches to get 165 max, but thats also to the front of the projector and not the lens. The lens looks like it sits back at least an inch and a half from the front of the projector casing. I think it'll be close... but it should work, My alternate plan is to add some black felt tape around the edge of my screen. I wanted edgeless, but if I have to bring in the sides a an inch or so in either direction, I'll do it.

Back to the question though... on a high end projector, does the zoom mess up anything? I read that it does on lower end units... but maybe not on the NX7?
kennyz06 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyz06 View Post
So, its actually 161 inches to the front of the projector box, and I can push it back a few more inches to get 165 max, but thats also to the front of the projector and not the lens. The lens looks like it sits back at least an inch and a half from the front of the projector casing. I think it'll be close... but it should work, My alternate plan is to add some black felt tape around the edge of my screen. I wanted edgeless, but if I have to bring in the sides a an inch or so in either direction, I'll do it.

Back to the question though... on a high end projector, does the zoom mess up anything? I read that it does on lower end units... but maybe not on the NX7?
Zoom does not mess up anything. Many of us run our JVC max zoom. You'll be fine.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Zoom does not mess up anything. Many of us run our JVC max zoom. You'll be fine.
Thanks man!
kennyz06 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyz06 View Post
So, its actually 161 inches to the front of the projector box, and I can push it back a few more inches to get 165 max, but thats also to the front of the projector and not the lens. The lens looks like it sits back at least an inch and a half from the front of the projector casing. I think it'll be close... but it should work, My alternate plan is to add some black felt tape around the edge of my screen. I wanted edgeless, but if I have to bring in the sides a an inch or so in either direction, I'll do it.

Back to the question though... on a high end projector, does the zoom mess up anything? I read that it does on lower end units... but maybe not on the NX7?
According to the JVC lens calculator the minimum throw distance for a 125 inch scope screen is 161 inches. In theory it should work, but if your measurements are even a bit off, or your unit is on the wrong end of the 5% tolerance JVC quotes it may not work. Personally, it is too close for comfort for me (and probably most people) unless you have a dealer who is willing to stand behind the calculations. Also, remember that you need 8 inches of clearance to the rear of the projector for ventilation,.
malba2366 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
According to the JVC lens calculator the minimum throw distance for a 125 inch scope screen is 161 inches. In theory it should work, but if your measurements are even a bit off, or your unit is on the wrong end of the 5% tolerance JVC quotes it may not work. Personally, it is too close for comfort for me (and probably most people) unless you have a dealer who is willing to stand behind the calculations. Also, remember that you need 8 inches of clearance to the rear of the projector for ventilation,.
I think the zoom will be ok. Plus you can always zoom to the full 4096x2160 panel if you have to since he is going scope. He also indicated he is willing to mask the sides of his screen if it needs to be a little smaller to fit.

I know 8" clearance in the back is recommended, but if the room is properly cooled you can get away with about 2" in back instead especially if you run low lamp.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well, I’m 100% sure my measurements are right... so I should be good. Again, was more curious on picture quality, not my room size and throw distance. Thanks!
kennyz06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off