Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #61 of 74 Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
New problem. It looks like 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 were supposed to move off real chan 44 and onto real chan 19. They moved to 14 instead. I think thats why I no longer get 9.4, 9.5, 9.9. Any ideas if this is a problem and how I go about getting it corrected if it is a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 11-08-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushApe View Post
New problem. It looks like 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 were supposed to move off real chan 44 and onto real chan 19. They moved to 14 instead. I think thats why I no longer get 9.4, 9.5, 9.9. Any ideas if this is a problem and how I go about getting it corrected if it is a problem?

Sounds like there may be some programming swapping going on between the many co-owned translators. K44AD-D is moving to RF 19. They cannot move to RF 14 where K14KE-D already is but they could move programming around however they need to during their tower work and the repack.
post #63 of 74 Old 11-08-2018, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Sounds like there may be some programming swapping going on between the many co-owned translators. K44AD-D is moving to RF 19. They cannot move to RF 14 where K14KE-D already is but they could move programming around however they need to during their tower work and the repack.
I guess I will just have to wait. I can't imagine ABC/FOX cooperating that way but stranger things have happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 74 Old 11-08-2018, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
The translators are owned by the local cooperative, not directly by Fox and Hubbard.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #65 of 74 Old 11-08-2018, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The translators are owned by the local cooperative, not directly by Fox and Hubbard.

- Trip
I will contact them to see what they know about it.
post #66 of 74 Old 11-09-2018, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I'm pretty sure the reason they are moving programming around is they probably want to get the networks on the most powerful signals
Channel 14 is 1500 watts 975 feet
Channel 19 (due to repack) is going to be 500 watts 596 feet

Since 14 has a copy of FOX, Buzzr and LightTV I'm sure CTV would rather put 45TV, Me, This and AntennaTV on a stronger signal. No sense in wasting a strong signal for a copy of FOX 9 (channel 34 already has it and the St James tower is the only one with those stations....Frost and Jackson dont have it)

Looking at the changes that would be the only logical one...The only other thing would be to move KARE 11 and its subs off RF21 which is dropping to 350 watts on the short tower and maybe move it to one of the stronger stations on the short tower. 20 (Vibrant TV), 23 (CTV2), 31 (Retro), 35 (Laff) are all between 1300 and 1800 watts. Might be smart to move KARE to one of those and combine a couple of those diginets

Dang one of these days I need to take my "travel antenna" when I go to work in Mankato and see if I can see what info 16.1 is showing about the changes since ctv.coop has no info about it. Should have done it before the snow and cold hit
post #67 of 74 Old 11-09-2018, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tom
One other thing I found was there is an antenna dealer in Lamberton (this is per one of the co-op listings)

Rogotzke Communications, Lamberton, 421-6041

Maybe they might have some more info
post #68 of 74 Old 11-10-2018, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
I'm pretty sure the reason they are moving programming around is they probably want to get the networks on the most powerful signals
Channel 14 is 1500 watts 975 feet
Channel 19 (due to repack) is going to be 500 watts 596 feet

Since 14 has a copy of FOX, Buzzr and LightTV I'm sure CTV would rather put 45TV, Me, This and AntennaTV on a stronger signal. No sense in wasting a strong signal for a copy of FOX 9 (channel 34 already has it and the St James tower is the only one with those stations....Frost and Jackson dont have it)

Looking at the changes that would be the only logical one...The only other thing would be to move KARE 11 and its subs off RF21 which is dropping to 350 watts on the short tower and maybe move it to one of the stronger stations on the short tower. 20 (Vibrant TV), 23 (CTV2), 31 (Retro), 35 (Laff) are all between 1300 and 1800 watts. Might be smart to move KARE to one of those and combine a couple of those diginets

Dang one of these days I need to take my "travel antenna" when I go to work in Mankato and see if I can see what info 16.1 is showing about the changes since ctv.coop has no info about it. Should have done it before the snow and cold hit
I hope they do move KARE to a stronger signal as I really miss NBC, Justice Network, and Quest. I will do a rescan every day to see if I can 16 and will post that info here. I wasn't aware they could shuffle channels around like that. I suppose if they stay in their licensed footprint power and marketwise its OK.

Last edited by BrushApe; 11-10-2018 at 12:21 PM.
post #69 of 74 Old 11-18-2018, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

NBC KARE 11.4 has moved from real channel 21 to 19 to 34. It looks like they are still making changes.
post #70 of 74 Old 11-20-2018, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

I think I am just going to bite the bullet and mount an antenna on my dish tripod on my roof. This will get me at least 25' AGL. I know the leaves will be a problem but I think it working 6 months out of 12 will be worth it.

I have narrowed down to three antennas. An Antennas Direct 91XG with a Kitztech KT-200 or a DB8e with a KT 200 or a Televes DATBOSS LR Mix UHF VHF Long Range Antenna with LTE Filter (149883).

Any opinion or ideas?
post #71 of 74 Old 11-21-2018, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have something similar to the XG91 here in Le Sueur
http://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/...ent/dp/72Y2542

and others use it to and it works great. For an amp I use the RCA amp that can be had at Menards/Fleet Farm/Walmart (cheaper than at amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1Z.../dp/B003P92D9Y

It has a separate VHF/UHF inputs for separate antennas

I've used an 8bay antenna and it works but the XG91 clone I linked to works better

You may want a separate VHF antenna for 12. Something like the little brother
http://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/...vhf/dp/48Y8141

or the big brother
http://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/...nna/dp/71Y5462

I have both and here they work fine for KEYC at 44 miles away (the noise margin for your loc is about the same as mine except you have line of site...mine is 2edge.
post #72 of 74 Old 12-22-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushApe View Post
NBC KARE 11.4 has moved from real channel 21 to 19 to 34. It looks like they are still making changes.
Tom
I don't know if you are still working on it but last night I finally got a chance to see what programming changes CTV made. They moved some programming to new stations that are higher powered and are on the 975 foot tower (versus the 600 foot one). So I went up on the roof of the school I work at in Mankato last night and this is what I observed

Channel 2-1 (KTCA) and 2-3 (KTCI) did not change. They are still on 26 (2-1) and 29 (2-3)
Channel 5-1 (KSTP) made no changes. They have not dropped power yet from 12,000 watts to 2,000. They will probably do it next spring when KSTC in the cities moves to RF30
Channel 5-2 (KSTC) moved to channel 14. This is KSTC, Me, This and AntennaTV
Channel 9-1 (WFTC) moved to channel 23. This is FOX, My and Movies! <---this is on the 600 foot tower so you maybe cant get this
Channel 11-1 (KARE) moved to channel 32. This is NBC, WXNation, Justice and Quest
Channel 23-1 (WUCW) moved to channel 34. This is CW, COmet, Charge and TBD TV.
Channel 41-1 (KPXM) is now on channel 20. This is Ion, Qubo, IonLife <---also on short tower

The CTV channel that was on 16 moved to 31. What is weird is there is a signal on 16 but wont log any channel. Also the "smaller" diginets they moved to the short tower so you probably wont get them. They even say if you're more than 10 miles away you may not get them. I had a big outdoor antenna and could log them but barely.

If you are trying to aim the antenna I wouldnt use the Tivo as they have the wrong info for the stations. It may show signal but wont log the channels properly. I have to submit a lineup change to Tivo.

Hope this info helps
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181221_212324_063.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2499966  
post #73 of 74 Old 12-27-2018, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Tony
That lines up with what I have. I submitted the changes to Tivo a few days ago but they haven't got back to me or done anything with it. Maybe you have more influence with them that I do. I have a Gray hoverman and a M4 that I alternate between. The GH gets me KARE most the time but not 5.2. The M4 works for 5.2 but not KARE. I have a yagi type antenna and a rotor that I want to try in the spring. Its a shame because before the repack things worked pretty well - now not so much......
Tom
post #74 of 74 Old 01-17-2019, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Tom
I don't know if you are still working on it but last night I finally got a chance to see what programming changes CTV made. They moved some programming to new stations that are higher powered and are on the 975 foot tower (versus the 600 foot one). So I went up on the roof of the school I work at in Mankato last night and this is what I observed

Channel 2-1 (KTCA) and 2-3 (KTCI) did not change. They are still on 26 (2-1) and 29 (2-3)
Channel 5-1 (KSTP) made no changes. They have not dropped power yet from 12,000 watts to 2,000. They will probably do it next spring when KSTC in the cities moves to RF30
Channel 5-2 (KSTC) moved to channel 14. This is KSTC, Me, This and AntennaTV
Channel 9-1 (WFTC) moved to channel 23. This is FOX, My and Movies! <---this is on the 600 foot tower so you maybe cant get this
Channel 11-1 (KARE) moved to channel 32. This is NBC, WXNation, Justice and Quest
Channel 23-1 (WUCW) moved to channel 34. This is CW, COmet, Charge and TBD TV.
Channel 41-1 (KPXM) is now on channel 20. This is Ion, Qubo, IonLife <---also on short tower

The CTV channel that was on 16 moved to 31. What is weird is there is a signal on 16 but wont log any channel. Also the "smaller" diginets they moved to the short tower so you probably wont get them. They even say if you're more than 10 miles away you may not get them. I had a big outdoor antenna and could log them but barely.

If you are trying to aim the antenna I wouldnt use the Tivo as they have the wrong info for the stations. It may show signal but wont log the channels properly. I have to submit a lineup change to Tivo.

Hope this info helps
Tony
Hi Tony
Have you had any luck with Tivo? I emailed them the info I had (at their request) but nothing has changed in a month or so.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical