Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 2 Post By DrDon
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By Channel99
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 2
New Section Title

Perhaps this section needs to be renamed from "HDTV Technical" to something else. Being a part of an area called "Home Theater Discussions" and subtitled "HDTV" leads people to believe it is also about the technicalities of specific television sets. For a lot of people "HDTV" signifies their television set. It appears the current title had relevance for the period in which the move was being made from SD to HD....

Last edited by DMarkson; 11-03-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added content
DMarkson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 18,381
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Note the description of the "HDTV Technical" subforum:


"For the talk about HDTV hardware for reception and other technical chat. For OTA receivers, Sat receivers and HD Cable. NOTE...Information regarding HDTV displays should be posted in the proper displays area."





If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Ratman is online now  
post #3 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Note the description of the "HDTV Technical" subforum:


"For the talk about HDTV hardware for reception and other technical chat. For OTA receivers, Sat receivers and HD Cable. NOTE...Information regarding HDTV displays should be posted in the proper displays area."


The title should be obvious enough not to require people to read a description. We no longer refer to cars as "horseless carriages."
DMarkson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 18,381
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Yeah...…. why read? Just shoot first and then ask for forgiveness.



If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Ratman is online now  
post #5 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Yeah...…. why read? Just shoot first and then ask for forgiveness.
And by posting short proper street signs and turn signals we deprived traffic cops of jobs at street intersections...
DMarkson is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 18,381
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Whatever.
The mods do a great job on the forum directing traffic and issuing summons when required.


I'm sure they will see your thread and take the suggestion into consideration.
DrDon likes this.



If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Ratman is online now  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 16,211
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 3640
Renaming the section breaks links, screws up directories and wrecks subscriptions. We already considered adding "non-display" to the end of the title, but didn't want to risk it. We are testing minor name changes in other, less-frequented sections to see how such changes are received.

So, for now, we're leaving it as-is and just hoping people read the stickies at the top. If it turns out we need new sections, we can add those or subforums.

Our goal is to get members help when they ask for it as well as to give members places to discuss various technologies as they apply to home theater aficionados.

I do find it interesting how many newbies (and even longer-term members) don't read the stickies and never notice there are no threads discussing television sets. I mean, you'd think that alone would clue 'em in. I'm also amazed at the number who seek help, then never return to the thread they started, wasting other members' time and effort.
Ratman and rabbit73 like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 11-03-2018 at 09:22 AM.
DrDon is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 18,381
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Well said!
DrDon likes this.



If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Ratman is online now  
post #9 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,203
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Perhaps they should change it to Radio/TV Reception Technical Hardware thread. Too often people comment about HDTV displays in the HDTV Technical thread, which is supposed to be about antennas, amplifiers,masts etc rather than specific models of TV sets. That is what the HDTV Display area is for, with the subthreads LCD-LED, OLED, and Plasma.

Also I would like to see the Local HDTV Reception thread be expanded to include Radio and HD Radio, as many use our OTA antennas for FM radio reception as well as TV reception. Often radio stations share the same broadcast antenna as TV stations, and radio reception can affect TV reception from various locations. I think discussing FM antennas and reception is too hidden and buried in the Gaming and Content Streaming section, which is mostly about HD Radio. I would like to see FM Radio and HD Radio combined and moved into a Local Radio/TV Reception thread, although I'm sure some would disagree. I use antennas to receive digital TV both HD and SD, as well as FM radio and HD Radio. I would think all RF reception could be in the same thread. But it seems radio reception discussion is too hidden and overlooked in the Gaming and Content Streaming section.
tylerSC is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 16,204
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I think discussing FM antennas and reception is too hidden and buried in the Gaming and Content Streaming section, which is mostly about HD Radio. I would like to see FM Radio and HD Radio combined and moved into a Local Radio/TV Reception thread, although I'm sure some would disagree. I use antennas to receive digital TV both HD and SD, as well as FM radio and HD Radio. I would think all RF reception could be in the same thread. But it seems radio reception discussion is too hidden and overlooked in the Gaming and Content Streaming section.
http://01900888.com/forum/154-hd-radio/

Last post was two and a half weeks ago. Before that thread, there had been more than two months since the post before it. There's basically no interest in IBOC.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #11 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Channel99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Renaming the section breaks links, screws up directories and wrecks subscriptions. We already considered adding "non-display" to the end of the title, but didn't want to risk it. We are testing minor name changes in other, less-frequented sections to see how such changes are received.

So, for now, we're leaving it as-is and just hoping people read the stickies at the top. If it turns out we need new sections, we can add those or subforums.

Our goal is to get members help when they ask for it as well as to give members places to discuss various technologies as they apply to home theater aficionados.

I do find it interesting how many newbies (and even longer-term members) don't read the stickies and never notice there are no threads discussing television sets. I mean, you'd think that alone would clue 'em in. I'm also amazed at the number who seek help, then never return to the thread they started, wasting other members' time and effort.
The first link (in red) in the sticky is broken, and has been for some time - it leads to a non-existent post:

NOTE: QUESTIONS ABOUT HDTV TELEVISION SETS GO IN "DISPLAY DEVICES" AREAS, not here!!!

http://01900888.com/forum/25-hd...#post_22561613
Channel99 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 11-03-2018, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 16,211
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 3640
Would be nice if someone had TOLD me. Fixed. Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 11-03-2018 at 06:42 PM.
DrDon is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 11-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Channel99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Would be nice if someone had TOLD me. Fixed. Thanks.
Oh well, I did notice it before, but forgot about it until reminded by this thread....
DrDon likes this.
Channel99 is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 11-05-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,203
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
http://01900888.com/forum/154-hd-radio/

Last post was two and a half weeks ago. Before that thread, there had been more than two months since the post before it. There's basically no interest in IBOC.

- Trip
Well IBOC may not be major interest, but it seems the thread is a bit buried or hidden under content streaming. Just wish there was a more prominent discussion area for FM radio reception, which does include HD Radio. I have a Winegard FM antenna in the attic which is used to receive all major regional radio stations, including Greenville-Spartanburg and Charlotte. Does not matter to me whether they are regular FM or IBOC, I just prefer good reception. And the HD reception is just a nice bonus.
tylerSC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Technical



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off