2Likes
  • 2 Post By ProjectSHO89

post #1 of 6 Old 11-27-2018, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Will there be a need for a 5G filter for OTA?

Currently 3G and 4G may require a filter to stop OTA interference depending on your locality.
Will 5G possibly stir up interference like 3&4G?

Samsung 75Q7F, ATV4K, Tivo Roamio OTA, RF-20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-28-2018, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Millimeter wave 5G will be far removed from television frequencies. The current bands are 24, 28 and 39 GHz. For those bands, no filter would be required.

T-Mobile will be using their 600 MHz spectrum for 5G, so you may need a filter. Most likely you'll see 4G transmitters first that get upgraded to 5G later (although it doesn't matter, at those frequencies the 5G signal will look the same as 4G).

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #3 of 6 Old 11-28-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 155
It would be best not to refer to filters as "5G" (or "3G" or "4G") since filters are frequency-specific and all of those services can be offered over any compatible cellular band. 5G services will also be able to use the microwave frequencies that dr1394 highlighted.

Given the dearth of reported OTA reception problems that have been explicitly identified as having been caused by 700 MHz signals, I'd expect that interference caused by the usage of 600 MHz wireless signals is probably going to also be pretty rare. Unless one has an antenna aimed pretty much point blank at a cell tower and with a pre-amp in use, the cell signals simply aren't all that strong once you get more than a half km (or less) from the tower. You'd be more likely to get interference from in-home devices like hotspots and phones.
DrDon and TampBayOTA like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-28-2018, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
It would be best not to refer to filters as "5G" (or "3G" or "4G") since filters are frequency-specific and all of those services can be offered over any compatible cellular band. 5G services will also be able to use the microwave frequencies that dr1394 highlighted.

Given the dearth of reported OTA reception problems that have been explicitly identified as having been caused by 700 MHz signals, I'd expect that interference caused by the usage of 600 MHz wireless signals is probably going to also be pretty rare. Unless one has an antenna aimed pretty much point blank at a cell tower and with a pre-amp in use, the cell signals simply aren't all that strong once you get more than a half km (or less) from the tower. You'd be more likely to get interference from in-home devices like hotspots and phones.

My old school Sadelco meter reports crazy high signal readings on the old hi-uhf bands. I assume they're now cell frequencies. And yet I don't have any trouble getting UHF stations I'm not supposed to. Don't even use an LTE filter. I agree 100% with the above assessment.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2018, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2547 Post(s)
Liked: 1235
The main use I've found for LTE filters is in-home video distribution. For 99% of cases there's very little chance of LTE signals causing problems receiving OTA TV. But you may find an LTE filter useful to "clean out" higher-frequency cell signals received by your TV antenna, so you can use those frequencies for your own in-home TV channels.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-30-2018, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The main use I've found for LTE filters is in-home video distribution. For 99% of cases there's very little chance of LTE signals causing problems receiving OTA TV. But you may find an LTE filter useful to "clean out" higher-frequency cell signals received by your TV antenna, so you can use those frequencies for your own in-home TV channels.

I never even thought of that, but it makes perfect sense.
I've been able to use VHF for my "home channels."
Good catch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical