Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-21-2018, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Strange Image Problems with Philadelphia Comcast Sports (NBC) Channel

I am looking for comments/advice from anyone that has Philadelphia Comcast Sports (Now NBC) channel. I have FIOS and it is channel 576 (76 SD). I don't know what channel # it is on other providers.

My problem is with video artifacts I am seeing only on this channel, both SD and HD. The attached images are from a recorded show, played back and paused with frame advance to find the issues. I don't see this as a TV issue as these are still from a paused recording.

The issue is that red colors are being shifted severely when there is motion. After a frame or two they realign, only to several frames later diverge again.

I cannot duplicate this on any other channel. It happens with all colors but really isn't noticeable. It is worse with an orangish-red color. With the hockey player image, the Red Wings player also shows the artifact but it is nowhere dominant like the Flyers player.

Watching the same feed in the NBC app on my Firestick does not show these at all, although the image quality is not quite as good.

I am asking if anyone can offer an explanation and resolution (if possible) and also I would appreciate it if someone could experiment and see if they are able to see the same thing on their system.

This problem has only existed for the last several months, I noticed with the start of hockey season (maybe it's been longer, I don't watch much of this channel except hockey).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181220_201612.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2499638   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181220_203429.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	796.3 KB
ID:	2499640  

Cb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-22-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked: 2226
I haven't noticed anything like that but I haven't been watching that channel very much lately. I'll record the Flyers game that's about to come on and let you know what I see.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-22-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched the Flyers game through the second period and didn't see any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-23-2018, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I watched the Flyers game through the second period and didn't see any problems.
Thanks for looking Ken. I watched the Rangers tonight and it was exactly the same as its been, really really annoying colorshifts. In realtime with motion, it is a colored blur as the players move. You even see it with the red & blue lines that are on the boards. Argh.

You weren't streaming, right? What provider do you have? Do you have a DVR? If so, did you try a pause and then frame advance through a couple seconds of motion?

Edit: oops, you said you recorded it.

Thanks.

Cb
post #5 of 9 Old 12-24-2018, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpboy View Post
You weren't streaming, right? What provider do you have? Do you have a DVR? If so, did you try a pause and then frame advance through a couple seconds of motion?
I have FIOS. I recorded it with HDHomeRun DVR so it's pretty easy to inspect the recording file frame by frame. It looked good to me but I can post a sample clip somewhere if you want to see it for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NHL Hockey - Columbus Blue Jackets at Philadelphia Flyers 20181222 [20181222-1800] (01).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	2500288   Click image for larger version

Name:	NHL Hockey - Columbus Blue Jackets at Philadelphia Flyers 20181222 [20181222-1800] (02).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	2500290   Click image for larger version

Name:	NHL Hockey - Columbus Blue Jackets at Philadelphia Flyers 20181222 [20181222-1800] (03).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	2500292   Click image for larger version

Name:	NHL Hockey - Columbus Blue Jackets at Philadelphia Flyers 20181222 [20181222-1800] (04).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	2500294   Click image for larger version

Name:	NHL Hockey - Columbus Blue Jackets at Philadelphia Flyers 20181222 [20181222-1800].jpg
Views:	6
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	2500296  

post #6 of 9 Old 12-24-2018, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Thanks for looking Ken. I watched the Rangers tonight and it was exactly the same as its been, really really annoying colorshifts. In realtime with motion, it is a colored blur as the players move. You even see it with the red & blue lines that are on the boards. Argh.

Edit: oops, you said you recorded it.

Thanks.
I realize you say that it's only happening on that one channel, but try shutting off the motion controls on your TV, which cause all kinds of artifacts (soap opera effect) anyway.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-28-2018, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I have FIOS. I recorded it with HDHomeRun DVR so it's pretty easy to inspect the recording file frame by frame. It looked good to me but I can post a sample clip somewhere if you want to see it for yourself.
Those are absolutely perfect.

Using another STB and LCD, I saw the same issues (no DVR, but realtime I did see the color streaking). Last night on 590, the game was perfect. Went to 576 on the other box, messed up.

So its either our local VZ (do we share equipment? I'm in Upper Salford), or maybe my ONT.

Cb
post #8 of 9 Old 12-28-2018, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
I realize you say that it's only happening on that one channel, but try shutting off the motion controls on your TV, which cause all kinds of artifacts (soap opera effect) anyway.
Motion is off, turned on for laughs, no difference. Confirmed to happen on another STB and TV in the house.

Cb
post #9 of 9 Old 12-28-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So its either our local VZ (do we share equipment? I'm in Upper Salford), or maybe my ONT.

We probably use some of the same infrastructure. I'm less than 10 miles from Upper Salford.

I don't know if a bad ONT would cause that problem or not. If you still have one of the old white ones it wouldn't hurt to have it replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical