post #31 of 40 Old 01-11-2019, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
First try CS2V; it might cover 16 to 100 degrees true. Try the simple way first. If not, then two DB4es. My crystal ball doesn't give a guarantee.
Ok so the DB4e would only be if I end up needing two, got it, thanks everyone for all the help. Things will be here next week, hopefully it all goes smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 01-11-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 412
If OP wants to receive 3ANGELS (Religious) network then Angle between CBS (16-deg re True North) and 3ANGELS (131-deg) is 115-deg. Alternatively, IF OP doesn't Care about 3ANGELS, then Angle between CBS (16-deg re True North) and NBS or PBS (100-deg) is 84-deg.

Beamwidth of A-D C2 is ONLY 70-deg from 470 to 698 MHz...and would be providing only about 6 dBi Gain EACH for 84-deg Spread in Signals [and a measly 2 dBi Gain if remove Reflector to exploit 80-deg Beamwidth]:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loo...taperedloopc2v

Versus 60-to-40 deg for typical 4-Bay [relying on strong Multipath REFLECTIONS] and 70-60 deg without Reflector....which would be a much better purchase if TWO are found to be required:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/mul...uhfnewcm4221hd
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/mul...hdhackednorefl

Re. PREAMP: You didn't tell us how many Drops you would have [and Multi-Tuner DVR may or may NOT have Separate Coax Inputs]. Since you have LOTS of signal strength, Outdoors you should NOT need a Preamp if you have up to 4 Drops (4-Way Splitter)....and 8-Way may or may NOT work reliably....you should try it first.

Since ATTIC performance varies all over the map, you'll just have to first TRY it without Preamp to see how well it works with just one Antenna pointed toward EACH of the two Directions....and then split the difference to see if you need to simply remove the Reflector....or need TWO Antennas....only THEN can you determine whether you need a Preamp....fortunately, Attic Loss will reduce the signal strength enough that you shouldn't have to worry about OVERLOAD.

Last edited by holl_ands; 01-11-2019 at 05:46 PM.
post #33 of 40 Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
If OP wants to receive 3ANGELS (Religious) network then Angle between CBS (16-deg re True North) and 3ANGELS (131-deg) is 115-deg. Alternatively, IF OP doesn't Care about 3ANGELS, then Angle between CBS (16-deg re True North) and NBS or PBS (100-deg) is 84-deg.

Since ATTIC performance varies all over the map, you'll just have to first TRY it without Preamp to see how well it works with just one Antenna pointed toward EACH of the two Directions....and then split the difference to see if you need to simply remove the Reflector....or need TWO Antennas....only THEN can you determine whether you need a Preamp....fortunately, Attic Loss will reduce the signal strength enough that you shouldn't have to worry about OVERLOAD.
Thank you for that info, I am mainly focused on the major 4 networks, abc, cbs, nbc and fox. If I get those I am happy. For now there will be no splitters I will go straight into the HDHR, which has a splitter inside of it I assume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 01-15-2019, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I got all the stuff in and have it temporarily setup. Outside of the house is a no go. Wife isn't wanting it.

I can't get in the attic right now (need to borrow a ladder).

I am curious if there will be a big difference going from inside my garage right up against the wall to in the attic. I guess the difference would be going through hardy siding vs the roof.

Anyways I have it against the wall of the front of the garage. High as it can go. Signal is not very good. One channel 12.1 is 60% signal strength and 43% quality. Sometimes it doesn't even tune.

The others vary, they are usually above 50% in both categories, and work pretty good but there are issues.

Do you guys think some sort of amp could help, and or should the attic be a better choice?
post #35 of 40 Old 01-15-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2618 Post(s)
Liked: 1773
^^^^ basic rule of thumb is the higher you go, the better. 30'AGL would be good.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #36 of 40 Old 01-15-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
So I got all the stuff in and have it temporarily setup. Outside of the house is a no go. Wife isn't wanting it.
We are familiar with the WAF, it comes from the nesting instinct. Without the nesting instinct, the human race would not survive. Since the house is the nest, she gets to say what is acceptable.
Quote:
I am curious if there will be a big difference going from inside my garage right up against the wall to in the attic. I guess the difference would be going through hardy siding vs the roof.
My guess is that the signal attenuation of HardiePlank, which is fiber-cement siding, is greater than your roof, but you would have to test it both ways to find out.
Quote:
Anyways I have it against the wall of the front of the garage. High as it can go. Signal is not very good. One channel 12.1 is 60% signal strength and 43% quality. Sometimes it doesn't even tune.

The others vary, they are usually above 50% in both categories, and work pretty good but there are issues.
Those readings are marginal, they need to be higher. What is the symbol quality? It needs to be 100.
Quote:
Do you guys think some sort of amp could help, and or should the attic be a better choice?
Try the amp with the antenna in the garage, but I think you will need to go into the attic.

Antennas Direct Juice or Channel Master 7777HD/Amplify.

If that doesn't work in the attic, you will need more antenna gain. Which, in your case, would be two DB4e antennas, two preamps. and two HDHR Duo tuners because higher gain antennas have a more narrow beamwidth.

If that doesn't work, it's outside, or forget OTA. It is possible to mount the antenna on the outside wall in a camouflaged enclosure that is transparent to TV signals. but will hide the antenna.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 01-15-2019 at 08:54 PM.
post #37 of 40 Old 01-15-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What direction does that wall face? In what direction is the antenna aimed? Do the signals have to go through more than just that wall to get to the front of the antenna?

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 01-15-2019 at 09:40 PM.
post #38 of 40 Old 01-15-2019, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
What direction does that wall face? In what direction is the antenna aimed? Do the signals have to go through more than just that wall to get to the front of the antenna?
That wall faces east, which is the direction all the beams were coming from in the pic you sent me. The front of it is directly on the wall its hanging from a screw. So it is going through dry wall and siding.
post #39 of 40 Old 01-16-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That wall faces east, which is the direction all the beams were coming from in the pic you sent me. The front of it is directly on the wall its hanging from a screw. So it is going through dry wall and siding.
Thank you. Please keep in mind the natural laws: The antenna must be located where the signals exist; the signals might not come to where you want to put the antenna.

If this floor plan section is oriented correctly so that the top is north, can you open the garage door and place the antenna in the open for a test?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whiteboy714AVSfloorPlan2.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	2511524   Click image for larger version

Name:	whiteboy714AVSgreenLines3_1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	2511748  

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 01-16-2019 at 02:49 PM.
post #40 of 40 Old 01-16-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The front of it is directly on the wall its hanging from a screw.
May I see a photo of it hanging on the wall?

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 01-16-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical