Forum Jump: 
 181Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 230 Old 12-10-2018, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 20,965
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 3409
one year on my LG C7 55 inch: no trace of burn in

I am careful with it, as I would be with any emissive display

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system

markrubin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 230 Old 12-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
gossamer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 160
It will be a year for me this February. I too have no burn-in. Then again, owning three Plasmas has trained me well...

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
gossamer88 is offline  
post #183 of 230 Old 12-19-2018, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 613
1900 hours on my 65" B7... it will be a year in February since it replaced my plasma.


My OLED has been fed a steady diet of full/wide screen UHD movies with occasional non-news station cable programming. No burn in to be seen anywhere. So my answer to the question is... A big problem? Ummm... maybe if you watch CNN 14 hours a day? That leads to a bigger question though.

Who in their right mind would buy an OLED to watch news stations? You buy a cheap LCD for that.
MajorTendonitis likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Panasonic GH5 with 42.5mm f1.2 & 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 lenses

Last edited by TravisPNW; 12-19-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: ... typo
TravisPNW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #184 of 230 Old 12-19-2018, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 14,758
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8337 Post(s)
Liked: 14662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
1900 hours on my 65" B7... it will be a year in February since it replaced my plasma.


My OLED has been fed a steady diet of full/wide screen UHD movies with occasional non-news station cable programming. No burn in to be seen anywhere. So my answer to the question is... A big problem? Ummm... maybe if you watch CNN 14 hours a day? That leads to a bigger question though.

Who in their right mind would buy an OLED to watch news stations? You buy a cheap LCD for that.
Wall street types who want the flattest TV for their office wall, people who own yachts. Maybe not CNN but probably one station or another that has a logo and a crawl. Nobody in this forum.
afelcandy and TravisPNW like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #185 of 230 Old 12-19-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2321
My new 77" C8 is the best display I've ever owned. I am very thankful that threads like this one didn't dissuade me from pulling the trigger.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #186 of 230 Old 12-19-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Wall street types who want the flattest TV for their office wall, people who own yachts.
So, folks who can afford to throw them away and write them off on taxes.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #187 of 230 Old 12-21-2018, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,649
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
1900 hours on my 65" B7... it will be a year in February since it replaced my plasma.


My OLED has been fed a steady diet of full/wide screen UHD movies with occasional non-news station cable programming. No burn in to be seen anywhere. So my answer to the question is... A big problem? Ummm... maybe if you watch CNN 14 hours a day? That leads to a bigger question though.

Who in their right mind would buy an OLED to watch news stations? You buy a cheap LCD for that.
I sort of agree. But...if your just going to have one tv to serve a family and only one tv, and can't be there to supervise what folks do...

And while news channels are the best known offenders, there are reports of BI from other reasons.

One guy suffered BI in the center area from his wife watching cooking shows. And while it was probably well worth it...a nightly feast matters...he might have been better served with an LCD.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is online now  
post #188 of 230 Old 12-28-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobbino421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Planning on getting a Sony OLED for my bedroom which should not get a whole lot of use, maybe more use since it will be replacing a 10 year old 40 inch Sony LCD. Main use in bedroom will be streaming Netflix and a few other apps for tv shows and a movie once in a while. Absolutely no news, no gaming and no sports with the exception of a late night baseball game here and there. I had a Samsung plasma as my main tv a while back with no problems and typical mixed usage for 4 years before I sold it to upgrade to a large 4K Sony LCD. So I guess since this will be my first OLED what do I need to know? Is maintaining an OLED difficult? I plan on also getting it calibrated.

Sony 55 A9F
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos soundbar

Last edited by bobbino421; 12-28-2018 at 08:52 AM.
bobbino421 is offline  
post #189 of 230 Old 01-08-2019, 05:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'll be purchasing an LG C8 very soon. Not buying into the burn-in hype.
Salvatore Castellano is offline  
post #190 of 230 Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
1900 hours on my 65" B7... it will be a year in February since it replaced my plasma.


My OLED has been fed a steady diet of full/wide screen UHD movies with occasional non-news station cable programming. No burn in to be seen anywhere. So my answer to the question is... A big problem? Ummm... maybe if you watch CNN 14 hours a day? That leads to a bigger question though.

Who in their right mind would buy an OLED to watch news stations? You buy a cheap LCD for that.
Agreed. It might sound elitist but if all you do is watch actual television there really is no need to spend money on an oled. This is a premium product and often premium products need babysitting.


I know someone who spent over 100 grand on a fully loaded BMW 7 series and only used it to drive a mile or 2 every day. After a few weeks he got a low battery message and had to get it replaced. The dealer told him he needs to take it out for a long drive every once in a while to let the battery charge. It turns out BMWs are actually notorious for this issue (and not any other cars in the same class). Needless to say he now drives a beater every day and saves the Beamer for special occasions.
TravisPNW likes this.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #191 of 230 Old 01-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
brazen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The OP asked if OLED Burn-In is a Big Problem. Imo, it is a big problem for anyone who just wants to watch TV as it's been done since televisions arrived in households decades ago. We didn't need applied science degrees to watch TV. We didn't need education on which channels we could watch and which would increase our chances of destroying the TV based on what our neighbors revealed happened to them. We didn't fight over which seat provided the only premium experience. We simply put the TV where it fit the best not where it had to go or it wouldn't work. We didn't have to worry if the drapes were open or closed much less a dark environment like a light free basement. We didn't have to make sure an auto fix was implemented every time we were done watching something and hope the fixing was indeed fixing. We weren't limited to how long we watched the same thing continuously or forced to watch other things we don't like too. We didn't have to inquire from our neighbors to make sure we were watching TV correctly for fear of destroying our TV. There are expert TV watchers who find much of this perfectly normal today though.


Often these expert TV watchers dictate that watching the program you like is not only bad for the TV, but bad for you. Therefore, save the TV from breaking and only watch what the experts watch because what you want to watch is wrong and so is how you watch it. This applies to many things in todays age: That game you like - sorry, it's on the no can do list. That TV show you like - nope, it's forbidden too. Your TV as computer monitor - are you out of your mind? You want to binge watch what? - don't you know you have to change programing on regular basis? Wudda' you mean the picture is too dark? - move it into a black hole where it belongs and it'll look bright enough to burn your retinas out. The TV is off limits but me and the kids want to use it but you have to be present? - yes, you guys are not expert TV watchers and I am so I'll look after the TV to make sure you guys use it correctly and then there won't be any problems... maybe. Etc.


When the avenues are exhausted and experts and non-experts alike put their foot down and say enough is enough, I just want to use a TV any way I see fit, the replies are always the same: You broke your TV because you are not an expert TV watcher. OLED's do not burn-in all by themselves. You did it. Buy a cheap LCD then and watch your garbage on garbage. Or as recently analogized, use a BMW OLED for special occasions and use a beater for your daily driver. I find this humorous. In other words, buy a $5000 OLED for occasional use and buy $300 LCD for everyday use. You'll still need to learn the do's and don'ts of your OLED. Just because it's used less than your LCD doesn't make it less susceptible to destruction. But assuming you've taught yourself how to expertly watch an OLED on special occasions, did you really need to? The experts have us brain washed that no other TV is going to look as good. For us non-experts, is that really true? Are we even going to notice what you notice? I don't think so. You know why? Because experts are watching their TV instead of the content just like audiophiles listen to their equipment instead of the music. They often wave papers and websites around saying 'see it says so right here'.


That said, for the majority, if you put a cheap $300 LCD (as suggested) next to a $5000 OLED the difference will be dramatic. If you put a $5000 LCD next to a $5000 OLED (or any fair comparison) the only differences you would SEE is those the OLED doesn't do too well at. Burn-in being one of the primary downfalls and prevention for it leads to further caveats and special usage scenarios only. Sure, an LCD has some MINOR picture differences an OLED doesn't and vice versa. These are always overblown one way or the other. So, imo, why on earth purchase the new guy on the block that limits your usage and also the possibility of burning in a static image ruining the panel when you could use a different TV any way you like just as you always have, that also produces an exceptional quality picture. Just because a tech is newer doesn't make it better. Imo, it's just different and with that difference comes problems older reliable tech simply doesn't have. Burn-in being the 'biggy'.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1809 / MPC-BE\HC / PowerDVD 18 / DVDFab Player 3/5 / KODI videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
brazen1 is offline  
post #192 of 230 Old 01-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
The OP asked if OLED Burn-In is a Big Problem. Imo, it is a big problem for anyone who just wants to watch TV as it's been done since televisions arrived in households decades ago.
It seems like everyone is in agreement on this point. If all you want to do is watch TV don't buy an OLED. Similarly if all you want to do is drive to the corner gas station everyday don't buy a Rolls Royce.


You live in a free society (I assume) and you are free to buy whatever kind of TV you want. The risk of burn-in is inherent to the technology. If OLED doesn't meet your needs then don't buy it. I don't know what you are ranting about.


You buy the right tool for the right job. Just like no one recommends a 120" front projector screen for a bright living room environment that's going to show kids cartoons and news channels all day. Even though that is arguably the biggest and best display you can get right now. But its not for everyone.


BTW if you don't think LCD can burn-in I've got an old 39" that I would LOVE to sell you.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K

Last edited by bryantc; 01-10-2019 at 12:57 PM.
bryantc is offline  
post #193 of 230 Old 01-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Relevant:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtings.com
Our current stance is that if you vary your content and don’t display static areas then you’re unlikely to experience any issues. If you do plan to watch a lot of static content with bright, saturated colors, then an OLED TV probably isn’t for you
Panson likes this.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #194 of 230 Old 01-10-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,239
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2205 Post(s)
Liked: 1274
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
The OP asked if OLED Burn-In is a Big Problem. Imo, it is a big problem for anyone who just wants to watch TV as it's been done since televisions arrived in households decades ago. We didn't need applied science degrees to watch TV. We didn't need education on which channels we could watch and which would increase our chances of destroying the TV based on what our neighbors revealed happened to them. We didn't fight over which seat provided the only premium experience. We simply put the TV where it fit the best not where it had to go or it wouldn't work. We didn't have to worry if the drapes were open or closed much less a dark environment like a light free basement. We didn't have to make sure an auto fix was implemented every time we were done watching something and hope the fixing was indeed fixing. We weren't limited to how long we watched the same thing continuously or forced to watch other things we don't like too. We didn't have to inquire from our neighbors to make sure we were watching TV correctly for fear of destroying our TV. There are expert TV watchers who find much of this perfectly normal today though.


Often these expert TV watchers dictate that watching the program you like is not only bad for the TV, but bad for you. Therefore, save the TV from breaking and only watch what the experts watch because what you want to watch is wrong and so is how you watch it. This applies to many things in todays age: That game you like - sorry, it's on the no can do list. That TV show you like - nope, it's forbidden too. Your TV as computer monitor - are you out of your mind? You want to binge watch what? - don't you know you have to change programing on regular basis? Wudda' you mean the picture is too dark? - move it into a black hole where it belongs and it'll look bright enough to burn your retinas out. The TV is off limits but me and the kids want to use it but you have to be present? - yes, you guys are not expert TV watchers and I am so I'll look after the TV to make sure you guys use it correctly and then there won't be any problems... maybe. Etc.


When the avenues are exhausted and experts and non-experts alike put their foot down and say enough is enough, I just want to use a TV any way I see fit, the replies are always the same: You broke your TV because you are not an expert TV watcher. OLED's do not burn-in all by themselves. You did it. Buy a cheap LCD then and watch your garbage on garbage. Or as recently analogized, use a BMW OLED for special occasions and use a beater for your daily driver. I find this humorous. In other words, buy a $5000 OLED for occasional use and buy $300 LCD for everyday use. You'll still need to learn the do's and don'ts of your OLED. Just because it's used less than your LCD doesn't make it less susceptible to destruction. But assuming you've taught yourself how to expertly watch an OLED on special occasions, did you really need to? The experts have us brain washed that no other TV is going to look as good. For us non-experts, is that really true? Are we even going to notice what you notice? I don't think so. You know why? Because experts are watching their TV instead of the content just like audiophiles listen to their equipment instead of the music. They often wave papers and websites around saying 'see it says so right here'.


That said, for the majority, if you put a cheap $300 LCD (as suggested) next to a $5000 OLED the difference will be dramatic. If you put a $5000 LCD next to a $5000 OLED (or any fair comparison) the only differences you would SEE is those the OLED doesn't do too well at. Burn-in being one of the primary downfalls and prevention for it leads to further caveats and special usage scenarios only. Sure, an LCD has some MINOR picture differences an OLED doesn't and vice versa. These are always overblown one way or the other. So, imo, why on earth purchase the new guy on the block that limits your usage and also the possibility of burning in a static image ruining the panel when you could use a different TV any way you like just as you always have, that also produces an exceptional quality picture. Just because a tech is newer doesn't make it better. Imo, it's just different and with that difference comes problems older reliable tech simply doesn't have. Burn-in being the 'biggy'.
It used to be the case that Plasme won all the Shootouts, the best clean sources..movies...made the tech shine next to LCD, yet the tech had problems with static black bars. This seems not to be the case with OLED. So were this tech shines, high quality movies/black bars, it has no problems with these static black bars. And that is the most important thing here afaik. If all you want to do is watch mediocre sources you might as well buy a LCD.
8mile13 is offline  
post #195 of 230 Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Actionable Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 196
As much as I love OLED picture above all other technologies (and plasma before that), there is sufficient evidence out there that permanent IR is possible and can be a problem for normal TV viewing of any content with static imagery.

I own an OLED and haven't experienced any noticeable IR. However, I cringe a lot when my fellow OLED evangelists say that IR is impossible because it hasn't happened to their TV. That's like saying it's impossible for a house to burn down because your personal house hasn't burned down.
Actionable Mango is offline  
post #196 of 230 Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,649
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
The OP asked if OLED Burn-In is a Big Problem. Imo, it is a big problem for anyone who just wants to watch TV as it's been done since televisions arrived in households decades ago. We didn't need applied science degrees to watch TV. We didn't need education on which channels we could watch and which would increase our chances of destroying the TV based on what our neighbors revealed happened to them. We didn't fight over which seat provided the only premium experience. We simply put the TV where it fit the best not where it had to go or it wouldn't work. We didn't have to worry if the drapes were open or closed much less a dark environment like a light free basement. We didn't have to make sure an auto fix was implemented every time we were done watching something and hope the fixing was indeed fixing. We weren't limited to how long we watched the same thing continuously or forced to watch other things we don't like too. We didn't have to inquire from our neighbors to make sure we were watching TV correctly for fear of destroying our TV. There are expert TV watchers who find much of this perfectly normal today though.


Often these expert TV watchers dictate that watching the program you like is not only bad for the TV, but bad for you. Therefore, save the TV from breaking and only watch what the experts watch because what you want to watch is wrong and so is how you watch it. This applies to many things in todays age: That game you like - sorry, it's on the no can do list. That TV show you like - nope, it's forbidden too. Your TV as computer monitor - are you out of your mind? You want to binge watch what? - don't you know you have to change programing on regular basis? Wudda' you mean the picture is too dark? - move it into a black hole where it belongs and it'll look bright enough to burn your retinas out. The TV is off limits but me and the kids want to use it but you have to be present? - yes, you guys are not expert TV watchers and I am so I'll look after the TV to make sure you guys use it correctly and then there won't be any problems... maybe. Etc.


When the avenues are exhausted and experts and non-experts alike put their foot down and say enough is enough, I just want to use a TV any way I see fit, the replies are always the same: You broke your TV because you are not an expert TV watcher. OLED's do not burn-in all by themselves. You did it. Buy a cheap LCD then and watch your garbage on garbage. Or as recently analogized, use a BMW OLED for special occasions and use a beater for your daily driver. I find this humorous. In other words, buy a $5000 OLED for occasional use and buy $300 LCD for everyday use. You'll still need to learn the do's and don'ts of your OLED. Just because it's used less than your LCD doesn't make it less susceptible to destruction. But assuming you've taught yourself how to expertly watch an OLED on special occasions, did you really need to? The experts have us brain washed that no other TV is going to look as good. For us non-experts, is that really true? Are we even going to notice what you notice? I don't think so. You know why? Because experts are watching their TV instead of the content just like audiophiles listen to their equipment instead of the music. They often wave papers and websites around saying 'see it says so right here'.


That said, for the majority, if you put a cheap $300 LCD (as suggested) next to a $5000 OLED the difference will be dramatic. If you put a $5000 LCD next to a $5000 OLED (or any fair comparison) the only differences you would SEE is those the OLED doesn't do too well at. Burn-in being one of the primary downfalls and prevention for it leads to further caveats and special usage scenarios only. Sure, an LCD has some MINOR picture differences an OLED doesn't and vice versa. These are always overblown one way or the other. So, imo, why on earth purchase the new guy on the block that limits your usage and also the possibility of burning in a static image ruining the panel when you could use a different TV any way you like just as you always have, that also produces an exceptional quality picture. Just because a tech is newer doesn't make it better. Imo, it's just different and with that difference comes problems older reliable tech simply doesn't have. Burn-in being the 'biggy'.
I love my 65" 3D C6. I baby the hell out of it, cause it is one of the best 3D tv's ever made and cannot be replaced...and I'm ok with that as I have several other tv's in my home to use for watching dangerous things.

But when it dies will I replace it with another Oled...no way. While I love the picture quality, just no way...I will go for something that has close PQ...but has a proven track record of no BI risks. Not going to repeat the babying and worry game. Some say it's overblown...but so is just how much better Oled PQ is over top LCD's. And with mini LED 5000+ dimming zones coming out now...going to be even closer.

8K 5000+ dimming zones with higher brightness capabilities...and LCD for the win in my book...or wallet.
plonk likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is online now  
post #197 of 230 Old 01-18-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,395
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4169 Post(s)
Liked: 3632
I disown your heresy, Kenbar. When LCD can beat an OLED for contrast and black levels in blackout viewing, call me up. In the meantime, I'll baby my OLEDs all the way. I'm glad we have competition to mediocre transmissive, otherwise the development would be nowhere near as far along as it is in 2019.
video_analysis is online now  
post #198 of 230 Old 01-20-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 6,965
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 988
While I agree with many here on the AVS forum that OLED UHD TVs can deliver a state of the art picture. However, I do have concerns about using one as my main "family room" TV. As an "old fart" that's owned a lot of different TVs (and HT projectors) over my adult life, including a couple of plasma TVs. I have not had any real burn-in issues. However, since I've been retired for a decade, my wife and I are using our family room TV (currently a 4+ year old 70" UHD LCD/LED) for perhaps 10 to 12 hours a day. It's been reported here on AVS forum that LG rates the life (half brightness) of their OLED panels at only 15,000 hours of use. At 10 hrs. per day of use that's only 4+ years. In comparison the better LCD panels are be rated for a life of 75,000 hours or more and even the later generations of Panasonic Plasma TVs had a rated 60,000 hr. panel life. Of course even a short 15,000 hr. panel life would probably not be issue if you only use the OLED TV for 3 or 4 hours a day, but IF that reported 15,000 life for OLED is correct then the technology still has a ways to go for high usage consumer applications.
Panson likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 01-21-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Ron Jones is offline  
post #199 of 230 Old 01-20-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 6,381
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
I don’t think anyone thinks BI is impossible but rather it is unlikely if you take precautions.

If I set OLED light to 100 and put up full brightness text using the PC input, it would be trivial to create BI.

If I watched sports with scores on screen for eight hours or more I might also be concerned.

But that also won’t stop me from watching 4x3 or letterboxed movies all day Sunday, and my TV is locked on Hallmark Channel for at least eight to ten hours per day from late October through January every year and I don’t hve the logo burned into my screen yet.
kucharsk is online now  
post #200 of 230 Old 01-27-2019, 04:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
While I agree with many here on the AVS forum that OLED UHD TVs can deliver a state of the art picture. However, I do have concerns about using one as my main "family room" TV. As an "old fart" that's owned a lot of different TVs (and HT projectors) over my adult life, including a couple of plasma TVs. I have not had any real burn-in issues. However, since I've been retired for a decade, my wife and I are using our family room TV (currently a 4+ year old 70" UHD LCD/LED) for perhaps 10 to 12 hours a day. It's been reported here on AVS forum that LG rates the life (half brightness) of their OLED panels at only 15,000 hours of use. At 10 hrs. per day of use that's only 4+ years. In comparison the better LCD panels are be rated for a life of 75,000 hours or more and even the later generations of Panasonic Plasma TVs had a rated 60,000 hr. panel life. Of course even a short 15,000 hr. panel life would probably not be issue if you only use the OLED TV for 3 or 4 hours a day, but IF that reported 15,000 life for OLED is correct then the technology still has a ways to go for high usage consumer applications.
Interpretation of half-life test results are always more complicated than any one line summary. Maybe the LCD panel is rated for 70,000 hours but the LED backlights may be rated for 50,000 hours, so when you combine 2 things degrading at different rates, the total half life is lower than the lowest number. And the OLED comment below also applies to LCD.
OLED half life ratings started at 100,000 hours (per LG), but that was in 2016 before HDR. However, HDR only adds more 'wear' to a tiny part of the total screen at a given time, for a short time, and this location varies with each scene, and half life varies greatly depending on oled light or brightness, with LG using 30 to 50 as the standard range.
This article seems fairly honest about the variety of possibilities and that the typical viewer often can't know the real answer: http://www.techhive.com/article/323...r-oled-tv.html
cathodeRay is offline  
post #201 of 230 Old 01-27-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 9,923
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked: 3024
Since I usually use my new TV for roughly 4 years before upgrading, and the older model then gets moved down through the ranks in the house, and finally sold out the door. At this point, do I still have a saleable product in an OLED versus LCD/LED? (Note: NONE of the LCD/LED TVs I've sold over the years, suffered from BI.)

The other argument comes re `The Blacks!'. When first purchasing the newer TVS in the late 80s, early 90s, Black was usually around what we call today, about 15 IRE. So an LCD/LED TV now with Blacks in the 1 to 3 IRE area, are far more preferable to the old days, but not that far off the IRE of 0 for OLEDs. For now, I'll stick with the better brightness levels for my personal preference.
KONICA TECH and Panson like this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)

Last edited by p5browne; 01-27-2019 at 11:23 AM.
p5browne is online now  
post #202 of 230 Old 01-27-2019, 01:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I disown your heresy, Kenbar. When LCD can beat an OLED for contrast and black levels in blackout viewing, call me up. In the meantime, I'll baby my OLEDs all the way. I'm glad we have competition to mediocre transmissive, otherwise the development would be nowhere near as far along as it is in 2019.
Not surprising, considering the light issues.
Panson is offline  
post #203 of 230 Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 AM
Senior Member
 
pdoherty972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
one year on my LG C7 55 inch: no trace of burn in

I am careful with it, as I would be with any emissive display

MicroLED is emissive but I don't think anyone will need to baby it in any way.
pdoherty972 is offline  
post #204 of 230 Old 02-08-2019, 11:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I experienced major OLED Burn in. Sad. Must be a Lottery Panel thing.
Z9DAtmosVuduDV is online now  
post #205 of 230 Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bethel Vermont
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
And what about the Samsung QLED, Q9FN to be exact?
They don't burn in and if that was to happen ,Samsung covers it.However OLED burn in is not covered by any warranty you buy. That should be a red flag right there. LG knew this before they even released there first OLEDS. When OLEDS burn in you only 2 choices buy a new panel or throw it in the garbage. I have heard many oled owners say ''I have had my oled for 2 years ,no problem'' That's a lie ,another words what there saying is ,if you have burn in it's your fault, you must be doing something wrong. The nature of this technology is its organic and the pixels will die in time anyway. So burn in is one problem. ABL which you have no control over is another problem. If you turn up the brightness that could start burn in and the picture looks like crap anyways. LG and Sony and any other company making OLEDS will have the same issues. So the question is why are other companies avoiding oled technology? Why does Samsung say ''we will never make an oled.'' Maybe ,just maybe they know something we don't or not willing to see ,yeah we got duped. I know of many oled owners selling there oleds cause they realize oled and the burn in problem will never be fixed ,because it can't be fixed. Beside it will be a dead technology in a few years. No tv to me is worth the price there asking for oleds or an led. Besides Sony and LG and a few others are putting there money in oleds so I wouldn't buy an led tv from any of them. And TCL and HIsense are on the rise ,they just may knock these guys off the mountain and that includes Samsung. The price points with TCL and Hisense is fair and affordble plus your getting the same features the hi end tv are getting without the big price tag. I get why people love oled, but it comes with a high price and the life of the tv is very short. I'll compromise on a little less black vs a burn in problem you can never fix. Besides qled is awesome with blacks
tomvinelli is offline  
post #206 of 230 Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bethel Vermont
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
I just had a conversation in a Facebook group about OLED burn-in. Some guy was arguing with me that it wasn't an issue and linked the Rtings article where they tested an LG OLED vs two different types of LCD displays. And in the article it showed that after a number of hours, the OLED had permanent burn-in but both LCD's had no damage whatsoever.


I thanked the guy for proving my point. Needless to say he wasn't happy.


Let that be a lesson. Read the articles you are linking to prove your point before posting them. LOL!
I get why oleds owners would be upset. But don't blame or call the poster names. This is LG,Sony or any company making oleds problem. LG for example knew this was an issue before they released the first oled. And more important burn in is not covered by any warranty you buy. That's should set alarms off in your head. They also put that ir feature in there oleds ,why? ,that also should set off alarms in your head.And the shifting pixel feature ,or what ever you call it ,that doesn't work another red flag. The real problem is consumers don't research information ,they just buy cause it looks good which oleds do.Or they listen to mainstream review sites that are paid to say nice things about a product without telling you the issues like burn in. But the cats out of the bag now and LG and others now say burn in is a issue with oleds. This is an organic technology and that's why there a burn in issue.Because its organic in nature the pixels will die in time anyways ,ABL is a issue with oleds. This is a technology that never should have seen the light of day, but companies are greedy and all they want is your wallet. But to my point if you say anything bad about oled you will get attacked for telling the truth ,why?, because if the oled owner admits there is a problem then they get buyers remorse or feel like they got duped , which they did.
tomvinelli is offline  
post #207 of 230 Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bethel Vermont
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
one year on my LG C7 55 inch: no trace of burn in

I am careful with it, as I would be with any emissive display
Come on Mark you know that's not true ,all oleds will burn in .You may have gotten lucky but in time it will happen. Plasma's did the same thing and at the time people said the same thing as you. Turns out burn in was a problem then and it is now. The high road here is to be honest and tell the buyer ,yes there is a risk of permanent burn in but if you buy it,its at your own risk. Lg now says that at there website. Truth always finds a way and LG and Sony are feeling it. It's time people realize OLEDS may look great ,but it's a failed technology and one right out of the gate. I have seen comments from oled owners blaming other oled owners for getting burn in and suggest limiting there hours watching tv or don't play games or don't watch news with static logos!! What!! why have an oled then.It's crazy to have to baby sit a tv ,a TV! It's a TV! lol come on.
tomvinelli is offline  
post #208 of 230 Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 20,965
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 3409
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvinelli View Post
Come on Mark you know that's not true ,all oleds will burn in .You may have gotten lucky but in time it will happen. Plasma's did the same thing and at the time people said the same thing as you. Turns out burn in was a problem then and it is now. The high road here is to be honest and tell the buyer ,yes there is a risk of permanent burn in but if you buy it,its at your own risk. Lg now says that at there website. Truth always finds a way and LG and Sony are feeling it. It's time people realize OLEDS may look great ,but it's a failed technology and one right out of the gate. I have seen comments from oled owners blaming other oled owners for getting burn in and suggest limiting there hours watching tv or don't play games or don't watch news with static logos!! What!! why have an oled then.It's crazy to have to baby sit a tv ,a TV! It's a TV! lol come on.

we get it: OLED's can burn in

and you should not buy car tires because they can wear out, especially if abused
JediMindTrick and Panson like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system

markrubin is offline  
post #209 of 230 Old 02-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bethel Vermont
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I have 2 OLED tv's. First one is a 65EF9500, with over 4500 hours. OLED light is set to 100, and contrast at 85 for over 4000 hours. Most watching sports with logos and banners. No BI. My second tv is a 65E6 OLED with over 2000 hours. Again, no BI. It is completely being overblown. Real world use, real world no BI.
Tell you what punch up a red screen or blue ,or white and tell me after 2000 hours or 4000 hours you have no burn in,and i'll tell you your comment is fishy and alarm bells are ringing. Because the comments i have seen the burn in out weighs the not burn in. It's a real issue my friend maybe not for you but for others out that are many reporting burn in.Why would they do that, if it wasn't true. Your settings by the way have nothing to do with getting burn in or not ,it's a organic technology and that's why it happens, plasma's had the same issue.
tomvinelli is offline  
post #210 of 230 Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,168
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5246 Post(s)
Liked: 3697
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvinelli View Post
Tell you what punch up a red screen or blue ,or white and tell me after 2000 hours or 4000 hours you have no burn in,and i'll tell you your comment is fishy and alarm bells are ringing. Because the comments i have seen the burn in out weighs the not burn in. It's a real issue my friend maybe not for you but for others out that are many reporting burn in.Why would they do that, if it wasn't true. Your settings by the way have nothing to do with getting burn in or not ,it's a organic technology and that's why it happens, plasma's had the same issue.
I do regularly check using colored slides, and both my tv’s show no signs of burn in. Absolutely none. BTW, I never said BI does not occur. I said I do not have it on either of my tv’s. There are many others on this forum who also dont have BI. Whether you believe me or not, I don’t care. You seem to be on a mission to accuse everyone who doesnt have BI as being a liar. You seem to be a very angry person.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.50
LG 65EF9500
wxman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
oled , oled burn-in



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off