post #91 of 127 Old 12-22-2018, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
The IMAX Enhanced program has promised not to use any dynamic range compression for their IE home video releases. IF that means they are not doing a home theatre re-mix, then they would not be the first (Paramount essentially ports their theatrical tracks to Blu-ray). They won't have to lament the bass sounding "kind of bloated". After complaining about the bass boost ("you may not want a feature like this"), are you now complaining about the lack of it?
What I'm questioning is what is the intent here? Irrespective of my personal opinion of it, is the bass supposed to be in the mix or not supposed to be in the mix? If it's supposed to be in the mix, it would seem wiser to do a dedicated home video remix of the soundtrack to ensure that all viewers get the same results. Relying on this special IMAX mode that's only available in a small number of receivers is essentially a big F-U to anyone who doesn't have one of those receivers.

I still don't see the need for a special IMAX codec and hardware when it seems like everything they're doing could have been accomplished at the soundtrack mixing stage and played back through normal DTS:X or Atmos.

Quote:
Prior to the IE program, has there been any IMAX content on Blu-ray which had pre-filtered bass pooled into the .1 channel that required a level drop during encoding and compensating boost during playback?

I have no idea. I didn't know they did that at all until you explained it.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 127 Old 12-22-2018, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6492 Post(s)
Liked: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
What I'm questioning is what is the intent here?
I'm guessing the IMAX Enhanced program is attempting to reproduce IMAX titles on home video more faithfully than prior releases.
Quote:
Relying on this special IMAX mode that's only available in a small number of receivers is essentially a big F-U to anyone who doesn't have one of those receivers.
No more than putting discrete height information in a soundtrack that cannot be played back from the proper direction. Are people with non-immersive AVRs supposed to hear sounds intended to come from above them instead coming from around them (incorrect direction)? Backwards compatibility only buys you so much. IE soundtracks can be decoded using straight DTS:X decoding (as you demonstrated by switching back and forth). But that doesn't mean DTS:X decoding does everything that the IE mode does.
Quote:
I didn't know they did that at all until you explained it.
We already knew that IMAX soundtracks don't use a LFE channel. You mentioned that the main channels sounded filtered. Based on that, the notion that they were pre bass managed seemed an obvious conclusion.

Sanjay
post #93 of 127 Old 12-22-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing the IMAX Enhanced program is attempting to reproduce IMAX titles on home video more faithfully than prior releases.
That's where I'm skeptical. Is it really "more faithful" or just cranked up to be more showy? I don't think we'll have an answer for that until we have a broader selection of content to test.

Quote:
No more than putting discrete height information in a soundtrack that cannot be played back from the proper direction. Are people with non-immersive AVRs supposed to hear sounds intended to come from above them instead coming from around them (incorrect direction)? Backwards compatibility only buys you so much.

At least downconverting an immersive track to 5.1 or 7.1 still retains all of the original audio content, albeit coming from different channels. If your theory is correct, playing an IMAX soundtrack on any receiver that doesn't have this IMAX mode actually throws away audible content. Needlessly so, since, again, the entire issue could be fixed at the mixing stage to work on any equipment.

Josh Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 127 Old 12-23-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Is it really "more faithful" or just cranked up to be more showy?
Depends on your feelings about the IMAX Enhanced program. If you're skeptical, then you're predisposed to believe that the bass is "just cranked up to be more showy". No logic will convince you otherwise. I already explained the need for boosting during playback, based partially on you noticing bass filtered from the main channels. You're not required to believe that explanation.
Quote:
At least downconverting an immersive track to 5.1 or 7.1 still retains all of the original audio content, albeit coming from different channels.
Wrong channels? More like completely wrong direction. By comparison, a small variance from accurate bass level is routine (people already set their bass levels all over the place).
Quote:
If your theory is correct, playing an IMAX soundtrack on any receiver that doesn't have this IMAX mode actually throws away audible content.
A reduction in level doesn't throw away content any more than adjusting the overall volume does.

Sanjay
post #95 of 127 Old 12-23-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
By comparison, a small variance from accurate bass level is routine (people already set their bass levels all over the place). A reduction in level doesn't throw away content any more than adjusting the overall volume does.

I'm sure that's exactly what the folks at Disney tell themselves every time they prepare one of those bass-deficient soundtracks we all love so much. "Bass in the soundtrack? What's the difference? The end user can just turn up their subwoofer!"

Josh Z

post #96 of 127 Old 01-04-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Hi,

Good news to me, My projector already is certified for IMAX enhanced.

I always use Denon AVR so most likely next time I buy an AVR I will have most of the needed puzzle pieces for this new standard.

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 01-05-2019 at 03:50 AM.
post #97 of 127 Old 01-05-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Quoted: 3761 Post(s)
Liked: 2988
The IMAX enhanced 4K BDs are NOT available on amazon in Canada, except for an expensive import.
The 2 Titles are available at a reasonable price from amazon USA, who does ship to Canada. (Less than $80 CA, including shipping and exchange)

A Beautiful Planet” narrated by Jennifer Lawrence, and “Journey to the South Pacific” narrated by Cate Blanchett.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #98 of 127 Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
The IMAX enhanced 4K BDs are NOT available on amazon in Canada, except for an expensive import.
The 2 Titles are available at a reasonable price from amazon USA, who does ship to Canada. (Less than $80 CA, including shipping and exchange)

A Beautiful Planet” narrated by Jennifer Lawrence, and “Journey to the South Pacific” narrated by Cate Blanchett.
Last night I watched Journey on my new Sony z9f. It was just terrific.
post #99 of 127 Old 01-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 124
What units have the IMAX audio capability to process the sound already updated? And how’s the sound quality?

Thanks
PeterV

Last edited by dragonleepenn; 01-07-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #100 of 127 Old 01-07-2019, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked: 4395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonleepenn View Post
What units have the audio capability to process the sound already updated? And how’s the sound quality?

Thanks
PeterV
At this point only the Denon 8500 / Marantz 8805.

The lower level models (e.g. Denon 4500 and 6500) will get the update in the next month or two hopefully.

Sound quality is very good, very rich and immersive, but you should read the discussion from earlier in this thread to understand the nuances of how the IMAX sound mode is tweaking bass management and bass levels.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #101 of 127 Old 01-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
At this point only the Denon 8500 / Marantz 8805.

The lower level models (e.g. Denon 4500 and 6500) will get the update in the next month or two hopefully.

Sound quality is very good, very rich and immersive, but you should read the discussion from earlier in this thread to understand the nuances of how the IMAX sound mode is tweaking bass management and bass levels.
Thanks for the info! Will read thru the recent forum post. I have the 8805 but have not checked for the imax update.
I use the 8805 and two 7702mkll in a multi avp setup with 30 speakers. However, in my theater I also have a
trinnov 32 that won’t anytime soon update to the imax setting. I will be doing the 8805 download later tonight.
I hope trinnov eventually gets the imax update, I think they will, would like to make the comparisons .

PeterV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F05B221-568F-4F65-86EC-AD8E902D96CB.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	2507384  
post #102 of 127 Old 01-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
However, in my theater I also have a
trinnov 32 that won’t anytime soon update to the imax setting. I will be doing the 8805 download later tonight.
I hope trinnov eventually gets the imax update, I think they will, would like to make the comparisons .
Well, lucky you, you picked the right day to ask! http://hometheaterreview.com/trinno...x-pro-support/

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #103 of 127 Old 01-07-2019, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, lucky you, you picked the right day to ask! http://hometheaterreview.com/trinno...x-pro-support/

Thanks “Dude”!!!, love it! Had to thank you for that before reading the link. Didn’t know it was out there. Will
read right after diner...

PeterV
post #104 of 127 Old 01-08-2019, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 6514 Post(s)
Liked: 14668
The 8805 has been IMAXed enhanced for a couple months now. Not that there's much content. But ya do the best with what you have.

post #105 of 127 Old 01-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
The 8805 has been IMAXed enhanced for a couple months now. Not that there's much content. But ya do the best with what you have.

How’s it look/sound with none imaxed movies if you’ve tried it ? I still haven’t had time to do the upload. Maybe to night, is it the usual upload in the setup menu of the 8805? Bat..sent me a link of an article about the trinnov also
Will get a free imax upload later this year...can’t wait. There is a Dts-x pro coming that will do up to 32 speakers in the format...I have 30 speakers in the theater so i, again can’t wait.

Thanks
PeterV
post #106 of 127 Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
How’s it look/sound with none imaxed movies if you’ve tried it ? I still haven’t had time to do the upload. Maybe to night, is it the usual upload in the setup menu of the 8805? Bat..sent me a link of an article about the trinnov also
Will get a free imax upload later this year...can’t wait. There is a Dts-x pro coming that will do up to 32 speakers in the format...I have 30 speakers in the theater so i, again can’t wait.

Thanks
PeterV
I'm embarrassed to admit, I only watched the first 5 minutes of it and something came up and I haven't gotten back to it. I know, I know, I should turn in my home theater card. But those first 5 minutes were really good.

Yes, the update is the usual in the menu. Can't remember how long it took tho.

30 speakers!? Holy cow!

post #107 of 127 Old 01-08-2019, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I have a Denon 8500 that got the Imax update and since then I've been trying to figure out what exactly this does for me. I found this FAQ and it is the worst marketing fluff I've ever read:

http://www.imaxenhanced.com/

Seems like another "THX Certified" thing. Is this as pointless as I think it is?
Brian Hampton likes this.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #108 of 127 Old 01-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit, I only watched the first 5 minutes of it and something came up and I haven't gotten back to it. I know, I know, I should turn in my home theater card. But those first 5 minutes were really good.

Yes, the update is the usual in the menu. Can't remember how long it took tho.

30 speakers!? Holy cow!
I’ve done that, everyone has! How many times haven’t I just settle down in my theater by myself for a short while when the wife interrupts 😡, I need you to come do something right now!
Gotta get down to the theater and do the upload. Now the altitude 32 will be getting the imax upload in mid 2019...
Can’t wait to compare with the 8805....as I said both processors are in the theater and connected to my 30 speakers +9
Sub drivers.

PeterV
post #109 of 127 Old 01-09-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
I have a Denon 8500 that got the Imax update and since then I've been trying to figure out what exactly this does for me. I found this FAQ and it is the worst marketing fluff I've ever read:

http://www.imaxenhanced.com/

Seems like another "THX Certified" thing. Is this as pointless as I think it is?
Yes and no.

In some ways, yes, it is a lot of marketing fluff. The most cynical view is that this is a desperation move by DTS, which is getting clobbered by Dolby (with Atmos), to partner with a big name in IMAX who is also losing ground to Dolby (Dolby Cinema / Dolby Vision). DTS gets some more brand bling with the IMAX label, and IMAX gets to create footprint in the consumer space, by leveraging existing technology (HDR10+ video and DTS:X audio) and wrapping it in a fancy label to make it look like something brand new. On a technical level, leaving aside some minor differences like how IMAX DTS codec deals with bass management, there appears to be absolutely nothing unique about the video/audio capabilities of "IMAX Enhanced" content. They could have, in theory, delivered the exact same content simply using standard HDR10 + DTS:X.

The counter to that would be to point out (1) the mastering/certification process and (2) the potential to see the taller aspect ratio IMAX versions of blockbuster films. In theory, these "IMAX Enhanced" releases will have been carefully supervised to ensure that the IMAX audio translates correctly to the home theater environment and the video is graded to highest standards, so (again, theoretically) you are viewing/hearing the best, most "as intended by the creator" version of the movie. On the second point, there are movies which were released in 2.39 Cinemascope aspect ratio which also have 1.90 IMAX versions, like Avengers: Infinity War... so people with typical 16:9 screens would get to see the extra footage and make better use of the full height of the screen.

So, in other words, the benefit is mostly in the curation / mastering of the content to ensure a certain standard of quality in the final product, not in some new technological breakthrough.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #110 of 127 Old 01-09-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I have a Denon 8500 that got the Imax update and since then I've been trying to figure out what exactly this does for me.
Ever see a mainstream movie at an IMAX theatre? The IMAX versions sometimes have different edits, different run times, different sound mixes, different and/or variable aspect ratios, etc. These versions of popular movies are shown in IMAX theatres for a couple/few weeks, after which they end up sitting on a shelf forever. The IMAX Enhanced program is a way for IMAX to monetize these dormant assets by releasing them on home video.

Two studios have signed up: Paramount and Sony (which announced that they will be releasing IMAX versions of Venom and Alpha this year). The third "studio" is IMAX themselves; they've already released a couple of their documentaries under the IE program. On the video side, Sony & TCL are going to be putting IMAX Enhanced modes on their displays. For audio playback, several brands have signed up: Arcam, Elite, Integra, Lexicon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Trinnov and Denon/Marantz (got the IMAX Enhanced upgrade in October).

Plus there is going to be streaming: http://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ha-1203100056/

Sanjay
post #111 of 127 Old 01-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:

The counter to that would be to point out (1) the mastering/certification process and (2) the potential to see the taller aspect ratio IMAX versions of blockbuster films. In theory, these "IMAX Enhanced" releases will have been carefully supervised to ensure that the IMAX audio translates correctly to the home theater environment and the video is graded to highest standards, so (again, theoretically) you are viewing/hearing the best, most "as intended by the creator" version of the movie. On the second point, there are movies which were released in 2.39 Cinemascope aspect ratio which also have 1.90 IMAX versions, like Avengers: Infinity War... so people with typical 16:9 screens would get to see the extra footage and make better use of the full height of the screen.

So, in other words, the benefit is mostly in the curation / mastering of the content to ensure a certain standard of quality in the final product, not in some new technological breakthrough.
Quote:
Ever see a mainstream movie at an IMAX theatre? The IMAX versions sometimes have different edits, different run times, different sound mixes, different and/or variable aspect ratios, etc. These versions of popular movies are shown in IMAX theatres for a couple/few weeks, after which they end up sitting on a shelf forever. The IMAX Enhanced program is a way for IMAX to monetize these dormant assets by releasing them on home video.
OK that does indeed confirm this is nothing but hype. They've released imax versions of movies on blu-ray before. Shifting aspect ratios and supervised transfers don't require special certified playback hardware.
Art Sonneborn and Josh Z like this.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #112 of 127 Old 01-11-2019, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 120
post #113 of 127 Old 01-12-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Frankly, this seems pointless. But to each his own.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Video: JVC rs620 projector, Stewart 130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem 60 preamp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp, NAD ci-940 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #114 of 127 Old 01-13-2019, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Is Samsung TV this Year
Supports IMAX Enhanced ???
post #115 of 127 Old 01-13-2019, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Frankly, this seems pointless. But to each his own.
I'd say almost pointless.

Art
post #116 of 127 Old 01-14-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I'd say almost pointless.

Art
I don’t understand?

Are you saying you don’t believe this IMAX Enhanced will ever take place? Or that it will fade out before it ever starts? Many people myself included are excited some aspects or another of what this is all about. Personally I don’t care as much about the “audio enhanced” part of it as I am about the “video enhanced” parts. By all accounts the IMAX DMR is a plus as well as getting the taller more immersive 1.89 AR where available.

Bud
post #117 of 127 Old 01-14-2019, 03:19 PM

Its Pointless for hardware. If they want to put out blu-rays with high quality transfers that's great. But it doesn't require special playback hardware or this new platform that they are trying to hype up.

This is really just an attempt to keep up with Dolby who have their name plastered over most blu-rays, streaming, and now movie theaters too.

post #118 of 127 Old 01-14-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Its Pointless for hardware. If they want to put out blu-rays with high quality transfers that's great. But it doesn't require special playback hardware or this new platform that they are trying to hype up.

This is really just an attempt to keep up with Dolby who have their name plastered over most blu-rays, streaming, and now movie theaters too.
I wouldn’t call it pointless. I would call it free enterprise and competition. Without different companies competing for our money we wouldn’t have any of this great technology. The market place makes the final call.

As far as I can see no one is forcing anyone to download updates for this format and the media will be able to go both ways, just as the equipment that comes bundled with it allows for a choice.

IMAX is doing stuff with the studios and enhancing older stuff. IMO it is not fair to ask them to do ABC but only provide BC on the media. It would be like telling Apple we like your phones but stop putting the camera on them because we like the other brands camera better.

The time to say it was pointless would be after it fails in the marketplace and say they should have known it was pointless. Change is never a bad idea without trying nothing would ever change or change very slow.

Time will tell.

Bud
post #119 of 127 Old 01-14-2019, 05:46 PM

It's not like you're paying extra. The IMAX update to my processor was free. As in zilch. Bluto gets it.

post #120 of 127 Old 01-14-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Quoted: 3761 Post(s)
Liked: 2988
Received and viewed both IMAX Enhanced Movies with my non-enhanced Yamaha AVR, and Samsung KS9800 (Also tried on my JU7100 - just didn't come close to the KS9800 for PQ quality.)

Beautiful Planet - excellent PQ and Audio, unfortunately, just not into the Space Station all that much.
Journey to the South Pacific - OMG - I didn't realize how good my KS9800 is ! Watching the Trailer after, what a PQ difference! BD is Reference despite the non-enhanced playback. Talk about realism!

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
a beautiful planet , imax enhanced , journey to the south pacific