Advertisement

post #2 of 153 Old 12-24-2016, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1673 Post(s)
Liked: 1799
We binge watched the whole series.

Not the best series on Netflix but we really got into it. Every episode it got better and better (except for episode 7 that I HATED). Was a pretty good series that we enjoyed.

post #3 of 153 Old 12-24-2016, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
I've seen 2 eps. Good enough to keep going. Another good (but not great) Netflix series is Glitch.
ltownsend likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 153 Old 12-26-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 771
After three episodes, very impressed. Intriguing concept, well-paced, seems to be telling one story but with distinctly different focus for each episode.

A tribute to what can be done on an obviously low budget -- far cheaper than most network scripted shows, I'm sure, with few special effects, Vancouver production, and mostly unknown actors -- when the writing is sharp and the vision is unified.

I'm reminded vaguely of John Varley's excellent short story "Air Raid," which was adapted into the awful movie "Millennium," in the use of the notion of time travelers replacing people who are about to die.
Tweeter2002 likes this.
post #5 of 153 Old 12-27-2016, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

I was surprised at the number of actors and actresses on this show that have been in Stargate before. I know its because of Brad and Andy but wow, they sure went to their Stargate roots and tapped that vein. I stopped counting at about 12 people from one of the Stargate franchises.

post #6 of 153 Old 12-27-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Binged it and for the most part enjoyed it, & hope for a 2nd season ...
This, as I understand, was 1st on Showcase Channel in Canada, before Netflix, as have been many ScyFy Channel/ Showcase Canada co-productions as well ..
It did have the very obvious "Canada scifi series look & feel to it .. The "dingy /brown or overcast" filter look, mentioned in other Canada show threads, and all the "usual suspects" that show up in/ are re-cycled in Canada made shows...
Loads of familiar faces from what seems like every previously Canadian filmed series are present - Continuum, SG-1, SG:U, The Killing, the 4400, BSG, Sanctuary, Haven, Smallevile ect .. .... Not to mention director & producer credits such as Amanda Tapping, Brad Wright ...
allargon likes this.
post #7 of 153 Old 12-27-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just finished watching episode one. Not sure if this show is for me, as I dislike team superheroes and cop shows. This show has elements of both.
post #8 of 153 Old 12-27-2016, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post
Just finished watching episode one. Not sure if this show is for me, as I dislike team superheroes and cop shows. This show has elements of both.
They definitely do not have "super hero" abilities. They are just highly trained, but only in their one specialty. Every episode gets better and better in my opinion. Try a couple more before you bail.

post #9 of 153 Old 12-27-2016, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
They definitely do not have "super hero" abilities. They are just highly trained, but only in their one specialty. Every episode gets better and better in my opinion. Try a couple more before you bail.
I was going to post the same thing. No super hero stuff going on other than training and better scientific knowledge from the future.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #10 of 153 Old 12-27-2016, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I was going to post the same thing. No super hero stuff going on other than training and better scientific knowledge from the future.
I enjoyed watching this....hoping it gets renewed for season 2!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #11 of 153 Old 12-27-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
Loads of familiar faces from what seems like every previously Canadian filmed series are present - Continuum, SG-1, SG:U, The Killing, the 4400, BSG, Sanctuary, Haven, Smallevile ect .. .... Not to mention director & producer credits such as Amanda Tapping, Brad Wright ...
I've never watched any of those shows (except BSG) so it looked fresh to me.
post #12 of 153 Old 12-27-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
I've never watched any of those shows (except BSG) so it looked fresh to me.
Of those, I would recommend Continuum.

post #13 of 153 Old 12-27-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 974
I don't recall seeing the 5 main characters before, some of the reoccurring ones sure. So far I've seen 6 episodes, can't say I'm blown away but it is serviceable nonetheless. Oh yeah, blondie needs to get naked more.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #14 of 153 Old 12-29-2016, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I finished the series. It was engaging but some dead spots probably because of a lower budget. Might have been much better if they did 6 - 8 shows. Not sure I really like Carly's 21st Century life story very much and a bit too much on Mac's relationship with Kat. Left with a humdinger of a cliff-hanger though.

post #15 of 153 Old 12-30-2016, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3541 Post(s)
Liked: 2695
This really feels like something that was meant for a broadcast network. Super low budget and its an 8 episode story stretched out to 12. Several episodes were pure filler.
Leaving things hanging at the end is just lame. Still it was an interesting idea.
post #16 of 153 Old 01-02-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's an obvious difference between shows actually commissioned by and produced for Netflix -- such as Stranger Things or the Marvel series -- and something like this, which is just a low-budget TV show from another country. The label "Netflix Original" clearly can mean different things.

This show could just as easily have showed up on SyFy.

I am still impressed that the combination of a solid premise, clever writing, and some innovative production choices allow the show to overcome its very low budget. It demonstrates that avoiding the use of special effects can have better results than resorting to cheesy ones, for one thing.

But yes, my initial positive impression has been diluted by the failure of the series to reach any sort of satisfying conclusion, to flesh out the background concepts sufficiently, and by the low density of several episodes. Eight episodes and a conclusion would have been much better.
post #17 of 153 Old 01-02-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Great series! This is how you do a TV series. IMO, there was not one weak episode and all kinds of unexpected twists and turns. I think many of today's "showrunners" look to formulas to get greenlit for a paycheck leaving much to be desired by viewers.
Tweeter2002 likes this.
post #18 of 153 Old 01-02-2017, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 427
The wife & I enjoyed this one greatly and despite the usual logic gaps in a time travel tale, we are hoping for more seasons.

Noticed that Amanda Tapping of Stargate SG-1 fame directed the last episode to keep it in the Canadian realm.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #19 of 153 Old 01-03-2017, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
The wife & I enjoyed this one greatly and despite the usual logic gaps in a time travel tale, we are hoping for more seasons.

Noticed that Amanda Tapping of Stargate SG-1 fame directed the last episode to keep it in the Canadian realm.
There were like a dozen actors in this that have appeared in one of the Stargate shows. They really tapped that pool often.

post #20 of 153 Old 01-03-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
There were like a dozen actors in this that have appeared in one of the Stargate shows. They really tapped that pool often.
It's the Vancouver connection.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #21 of 153 Old 01-04-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I gave the new Netflix originals a spin to see if I found anything worth following, and this was one of the lot, along with Luke Cage and The OA. One thing immediately apparent in all these shows was the shoestring budget, highlighted by an overabundance of close-up shots, lots of sequences filmed indoors in close quarters, dark and dingy warehouses / junkyards, etc. And without a miss, the first episode of each show had a gratuitous sex scene or nudity that had absolutely no lead up or context. Almost as if these shows think T&A would at least hook a few extra viewers binging on to see more.

I am into the third episode with this show, and I must say I am not yet hooked into the show. The scraggly-looking bunch of actors are not selling the seriousness of the story to me, but YMMV. I can't even buy the apocalyptic mumbo-jumbo being spouted on screen. The severe budget limitations are very telling. I will give it another episode or so.
post #22 of 153 Old 01-04-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
It's the Vancouver connection.
Plus Travelers creator Brad Wright, was the executive producer of the SG franchise, and co-creator of Atlantis and Universe.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #23 of 153 Old 01-04-2017, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Watched the first 3-4 episodes, can't really get into it. It's bad when I can't even remember how many I've seen
post #24 of 153 Old 01-05-2017, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 1126
I couldn't get past the trailer while looking for a new NF show after just finishing s.2 of Marco Polo. Travelers just didn't scream quality Netflix programming in the way I've grown accustomed. I started The Crown instead.

But hey, now that I hear there's boobs and some of my favorite "extras" from shows that have made their way to the Syfy channel over the years, maybe I'll give it a shot.
post #25 of 153 Old 01-05-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I couldn't get past the trailer while looking for a new NF show after just finishing s.2 of Marco Polo. Travelers just didn't scream quality Netflix programming in the way I've grown accustomed. I started The Crown instead.

But hey, now that I hear there's boobs and some of my favorite "extras" from shows that have made their way to the Syfy channel over the years, maybe I'll give it a shot.
Its always great to meet another boob connoisseur; a man who understands that boobs really push the plot and the acting to new heights. Well done sir!!

post #26 of 153 Old 01-05-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK I am still watching but only because I hate most of the shows on network TVs. Travelers from the future who can tell when things are going to happen sounds like a super hero ability to me. Living a dual identity is also another super hero element. Speaking of dual identity, I find the lying to keep the secret is the most appealing aspect of shows like this. Unfortunately, this show doesn't have a whole lot of that.

Anyway I like it.
post #27 of 153 Old 01-05-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1703 Post(s)
Liked: 1591
Quote:
Travelers from the future who can tell when things are going to happen sounds like a super hero ability to me.

If you are from the future, you just "Google" the past and you know when everything happened. Being able to read about history is a super power?
post #28 of 153 Old 01-05-2017, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
If you are from the future, you just "Google" the past and you know when everything happened. Being able to read about history is a super power?
To the people who didn't know about them, such ability would seem super natural/hero.

If someone can give me future winning lottery numbers, they would be super heroes to me.
post #29 of 153 Old 01-05-2017, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Great series! This is how you do a TV series. IMO, there was not one weak episode and all kinds of unexpected twists and turns. I think many of today's "showrunners" look to formulas to get greenlit for a paycheck leaving much to be desired by viewers.
I completely agree. I can't wait for a second season, after the last episode I quickly was ready to watch the follow up episode thinking there was another. Such a great show. I love the concept, well written and acted too.

Looking forward to a second d season.

Projector: VPLHW40ES + DIY 125" Screen AVR: CX-A5100 + B&K REF 200.7
Speakers: DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP2000(FL/FR), CLR2000 (C), DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP10 (RL/RR),
MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling ATMOS/DTS), (4) MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling R/L REAR SURR)
post #30 of 153 Old 01-06-2017, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
To the people who didn't know about them, such ability would seem super natural/hero.

If someone can give me future winning lottery numbers, they would be super heroes to me.
If someone can give me the future winning lottery numbers, I will call them anything they want!
allargon likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming