Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
eb3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Angry Apple TV NIGHTMARE!!!!!

I have an old Apple TV ver 2 on my flatscreen. It quit working so I took the ver 4 Apple TV off of my surround sound system (plugged into my Yamaha RX-V571 which feeds my Optoma projector). The ver 4 didn't work either. I plugged the ver 4 back into my Yamaha and it doesn't work there anymore either!!

Here are the symptoms:
Whichever HDMI port the Apple TV's are plugged into says "no signal." When I press "MENU" on any remote, the flatscreen AND the Yamaha both immediately switch to the next input (HDMI 2).

It's CRAZY!! I have never seen anything like this. It seems I have fried the inputs for these devices. I am beside myself. To make it even crazier, listen to this: I now plug the apple TV directly into the HDMI 2 of the PROJECTOR and it WORKS FINE!!!!! Has anyone ever seen anything like this at all???? ANY IDEAS????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 450 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3 View Post
I have an old Apple TV ver 2 on my flatscreen. It quit working so I took the ver 4 Apple TV off of my surround sound system (plugged into my Yamaha RX-V571 which feeds my Optoma projector). The ver 4 didn't work either. I plugged the ver 4 back into my Yamaha and it doesn't work there anymore either!!

Here are the symptoms:
Whichever HDMI port the Apple TV's are plugged into says "no signal." When I press "MENU" on any remote, the flatscreen AND the Yamaha both immediately switch to the next input (HDMI 2).

It's CRAZY!! I have never seen anything like this. It seems I have fried the inputs for these devices. I am beside myself. To make it even crazier, listen to this: I now plug the apple TV directly into the HDMI 2 of the PROJECTOR and it WORKS FINE!!!!! Has anyone ever seen anything like this at all???? ANY IDEAS????
Could be just cable issue nightmare, you should retrieve max supported resolution of your AVR and max supported resolution of your PJ. That's absolutely critical info to find the culprit.
You should also confirm the length of the HDMI cable in use before AVR and after AVR.

If PJ have inferior supported resolution than AVR, then it's possible that direct connection to PJ works since signal will be lower bandwidth.
If AVR is 600MHz/18Gbps capable, there is chance it will want to take max signal in and downscale at output and then the cable from ATV to AVR must be high quality min 6ft max 12ft from reputable brand: bluejeanscable, Kabledirect, etc...

Use Automix/SINK mode for DV support on AVR-Key/Integral. Linker does NOT support all DV.
Want to get DD+ and ATMOS sound from TV streaming Apps back to an AVR via HDMI since it fails via ARC or S/PDIF?
Show interest by posting your TV and AVR brand/model. We might select you in the future for some beta test.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-11-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
eb3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Could be just cable issue nightmare, you should retrieve max supported resolution of your AVR and max supported resolution of your PJ. That's absolutely critical info to find the culprit.
You should also confirm the length of the HDMI cable in use before AVR and after AVR.

If PJ have inferior supported resolution than AVR, then it's possible that direct connection to PJ works since signal will be lower bandwidth.
If AVR is 600MHz/18Gbps capable, there is chance it will want to take max signal in and downscale at output and then the cable from ATV to AVR must be high quality min 6ft max 12ft from reputable brand: bluejeanscable, Kabledirect, etc...
it isa failing at the TV using both a 1.5' and 2' cable. Those same cables work fine directly plugged into the projector. One is a gold anodized Belkin and the other is a no name cheapy. from the Yamaha to the PJ is a high end 30' cable. It's been fine for 1 year. My last house had a similar length with no problems for 10 years. Yes, I am sure there is some IEEE or CIA/TIA spec being violated but the problem followed a swap of Apple TV's from the PJ to the TV and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-11-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 450 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3 View Post
it isa failing at the TV using both a 1.5' and 2' cable. Those same cables work fine directly plugged into the projector. One is a gold anodized Belkin and the other is a no name cheapy. from the Yamaha to the PJ is a high end 30' cable. It's been fine for 1 year. My last house had a similar length with no problems for 10 years. Yes, I am sure there is some IEEE or CIA/TIA spec being violated but the problem followed a swap of Apple TV's from the PJ to the TV and back.

1.5 / 2 ft ? or meter ?
Now that really smells like a cable issue, please confirm AVR max supported resolution, if you don't know post link to usermanual on PDF, same for PJ, confirm max resolution or post link to its usermanual in PDF.

10 years ago there was no 600MHz, you cannot compare like this, makes no sense.

The only important thing you must keep in mind is that YOU CANNOT SOLVE a setup issue without knowing the exact specs of each equipment since that determine the exact min and max length of HDMI cable you will need for them to work.

The whole problem in this HDMI world is that they are keeping the same 15 years old connector that was made to handle 150MHz, and now trying to push 600MHz thru it.

Use Automix/SINK mode for DV support on AVR-Key/Integral. Linker does NOT support all DV.
Want to get DD+ and ATMOS sound from TV streaming Apps back to an AVR via HDMI since it fails via ARC or S/PDIF?
Show interest by posting your TV and AVR brand/model. We might select you in the future for some beta test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors