Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #1 of 66 Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Coming End of the Disc

Vincent Teoh just interviewed the president of the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), Victor Matsuda, at CES.

This is an important interview, because it represents the swan song of the video disc. Matsuda refers to "package media." This means discs played over HDMI to a TV. Notice he makes the distinction between this and streaming which he is nicely saying is crap. His association is fighting for survival. OPPO was the canary in the mine, when it went out of the player market. This is because the public has signaled, in its buying trends, that—in its endless mediocrity—it prefers convenience over quality, i.e. prefers inferior but more convenient streaming over superior but less convenient disc, i.e. "package media". Content distributors and display makers are, of course, following the mob.

8K is not just a marketing ploy. Hear Matsuda talk 25 Mbps. He's saying that until we get at least that number, UHD streaming cannot compete quality-wise with UHD Blu-ray, and if you buy a UHD TV, then chances are the only way you can get a picture with a full UHD spec is with Blu-ray over HDMI. He does not go into 8K, because by the time 8K bandwidth is available for streaming, package media will be dead. So it's meaningless for BDA to talk about 8K.

Likely others won't get this from the interview, but this is my take.
aaronwt likes this.

Sony 55W905A, Dahquist DQ10 (x4), BW sub, McIntosh MC-2150/2200, OPPO BDP-105D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 01-11-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2950 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
the same is being said about gaming pc's...all subscription cloud server based

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #3 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 546
A quote from this link: http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Forecast-2023

Quote:
While physical discs remain a key revenue generator in the home entertainment business, the growing revenue from digital services and the rise of download and over-the-top (OTT) streaming services such as iTunes and Netflix have negatively impacted physical disc sales in the last 4-5 years. Therefore, an overall gradual decline in disc sales through the forecast period is expected.

Unit shipments for the global Blu-ray players market are expected to decrease from 72.1 million in 2017 to 68.0 million in 2023, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of -1.0%. Unit shipments for the global Blu-ray media market are expected to decrease from 595.0 million in 2017 to 516.0 million in 2023, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of -2.3%.

The rapid growth in subscribers of OTT services, and on-demand 4K and 1080p content streamed directly from the cloud, has led to the rapid rise of services like Netflix, Amazon, HBO, and Hulu. Simultaneously, the intense bandwidth requirements of 4K content formats are unable to replicate the smooth and seamless playback of 4K UHD titles.

Therefore, physical Blu-ray discs are still considered one of the best options for enjoying HD content that also supports HDR and Dolby surround sound. The majority of consumers, especially in the developed markets, are increasingly turning to UHD Blu-ray players to access movie and TV show content. To meet this demand, over 250 UHD titles were released in 2017 alone.
Although, this market analysis shows a decline, it doesn't predict the end of the physical disc. I don't think the studios will leave this revenue stream on the table. Although, i don't buy as many as I used to, that has nothing to do with moving to streaming but more of a reflection that after years of collecting DVDs, blu rays and now 4K blu rays, I just don't rewatch a lot of movies that much. I'm more inclined to rent a red box movie than buy the movie as opposed to streaming the movie.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Sony - the God-King of optical disc formats - began shuttering their disc replication business several years ago and have moved their focus to digital media (streaming/download) production and distribution. They are keeping their Japanese, South American, and European replication lines open for at least another six years and after that, they will likely begin to wind down production.
post #5 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I had a bit of a windfall (unexpected cash) and thought about buying a UHD player.

I have 6 movies on UHD disc but no player. (They are all in my iTunes and Vudu 4K collection because I redeemed the 4K codes.)

However, I watched a user video and the guy was showing the process of putting the disc in, staring at a loading logo, navigating badly crafted menus to choose playback options and finally enduring the FBI warning screen.

I changed my mind. I'm backing up whatever I have on disc that I am interested in and I don't buy new discs unless it's the cheapest way to get the steaming codes.

I understand the love of LPs ... but it's not for me. I am in the disc-less camp now.
post #6 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
However, I watched a user video and the guy was showing the process of putting the disc in, staring at a loading logo, navigating badly crafted menus to choose playback options and finally enduring the FBI warning screen.
Really? This is what it took you to win you over to streaming? I just found a video of a guy having to load an app, actually typing to search for a movie, navigating through badly crafted menus looking for the HD version (Amazon Prime) and enduring the buffer for the movie to start.

Also, owning physical media means the movies are yours. Media streaming companies and licensed content come and go. I"ll stick to my superior video quality and lossless audio physical media.

Epson ProCinema 6040UB - Screen Innovations Series 5 Fixed Pure Grey 120" 2.35 Ultra-wide - Emotiva XMC-1 Procesr - Emotiva Gen 3 3-channel Amp - Emotiva Gen 3 4-channel Amp - Panamax M5400-PM Power Line Regulator - Oppo 203 player - Polk Audio RTi12 Floorstanding Speaker - Polk CSi5 Center Speaker - Polk Audio FXIA6 Surround Speakers - JTR Captivator 118HT (x2) Sub-woofer - Mid-Atlantic Rack ASX-SXR-28 - HT Market Warwick seating
post #7 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

About the video in the first post..

I'm really enjoying the interview but I'm confused when they mention the growth of UHD. They mention the percentages of UHD vs other formats but all the UHD titles I own came WITH Blu Ray and Digital! I think because of this the numbers are bogus.

I only purchased the UHD discs I have for the streaming codes. I already owned them on Blu Ray and a few of them I owned on DVD. But,... I was buying Blu Ray at the same time and for almost the same cost.

-Brian
post #8 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaviator View Post
Really? This is what it took you to win you over to streaming? I just found a video of a guy having to load an app, actually typing to search for a movie, navigating through badly crafted menus looking for the HD version (Amazon Prime) and enduring the buffer for the movie to start.

Also, owning physical media means the movies are yours. Media streaming companies and licensed content come and go. I"ll stick to my superior video quality and lossless audio physical media.
Actually what won me over to streaming was 60 of my iTunes HD movies being upgraded to 4K for free. I have collected Blu Rays for years (have about 1400 or so ) and I always redeemed the streaming versions even if I didn't use them.

These days my kids love that they can tell the remote what they want to watch and it plays ...They don't have to load any app (most of the time.) And, my internet connection is only Bonded DSL (not the much higher speed options) but I rarely ever have to see anything buffer. Buffering never happened during playback that I can remember.
post #9 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 307
It's obvious, they aren't satisfied with the lack of control (ownership) they have now, they want it all in their hands (remote,secure servers) and out of ours!
More uncontrolled corporate greed!

What's even more pathetic, is the 'crap' their are churning out, is just that; mostly crap!

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #10 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 549
The easiest/most obvious thing I can think of that could really turn the tide on this is *IF* ISPs continue to move toward limited data plans... That would make true ownership appealling again.
TravisPNW likes this.
post #11 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 307
"If", don't you mean 'when'??

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #12 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Although, this market analysis shows a decline, it doesn't predict the end of the physical disc. I don't think the studios will leave this revenue stream on the table.

Of course they won't... how much money are we talking about anyway? I saw something a while back that said physical media sales were something like $4B a year. People are still buying DVDs for crying out loud!

Quote:
I had a bit of a windfall (unexpected cash) and thought about buying a UHD player.

I have 6 movies on UHD disc but no player. (They are all in my iTunes and Vudu 4K collection because I redeemed the 4K codes.)

I changed my mind. I'm backing up whatever I have on disc that I am interested in and I don't buy new discs unless it's the cheapest way to get the steaming codes.

I understand the love of LPs ... but it's not for me. I am in the disc-less camp now.

To each their own.

I've been into my 4K OLED and Dolby Atmos home theater for about a year now... and in that time I have purchased 500+ UHD/1080p discs. I haven't spent a nickel on streaming. When a movie comes with a digital code I redeem it for use on our portable devices. When it doesn't... I copy/encode my own .mp4 digital copy with MakeMKV and Handbrake on my PC. No doubt streaming is convenient and I enjoy it for the portability... but when it comes to movie night in the HT it's disc only.

Disc is the best quality... and I wouldn't dare watch anything less than the best quality media on the best quality TV and I also wouldn't dare purchase a bunch of movies that I only have access to via streaming. I'll keep them on the shelf thanks.

P.S.

Good luck getting rural america into streaming. Do they even have high speed internet in half the country yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaviator View Post

As will I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
The easiest/most obvious thing I can think of that could really turn the tide on this is *IF* ISPs continue to move toward limited data plans... That would make true ownership appealling again.

That's another reason I wouldn't consider streaming. I'm already on a limited data plan. It used to be unlimited... but then Comcast decided to force a 1TB limit on me per month... presumably so they can have more bandwidth to continue broadcasting craptastic 720p content.

How long you think 1TB would last if I went full stream in combination with everything else I do online?

My discs don't use any data and I own them. Easy decision.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Panasonic GH5 with 42.5mm f1.2 & 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 lenses
post #13 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
It's obvious, they aren't satisfied with the lack of control (ownership) they have now, they want it all in their hands (remote,secure servers) and out of ours!
More uncontrolled corporate greed!

What's even more pathetic, is the 'crap' their are churning out, is just that; mostly crap!
Corporations exist to provide their investors with an ROI. If streaming is the best way for them to maximize that ROI, it's what they should be focusing on.

I assume you mean that movies are worse these days than they used to be. I disagree, plenty of god stuff is being produced. However, it would appear that the public at large isn't particularly interested since trite like Marvel Movie 27: Template Polished, Marvel Movie 28: Template Perfected etc is what most people watch and purchase.

Equipment and collection link:
Spoiler!
post #14 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I changed my mind. I'm backing up whatever I have on disc that I am interested in
When I back mine up, I only keep the feature film. I never cared much about the extras anyway.... and who doesn't loathe the loading times and wading through the menus? The "point-and-click" UI of streaming services like Netflix is the best part about it...

And that's why I rip the feature film to MKV, and then play it back via Plex. All the "best parts" of that GUI/point-and-click/coverart streaming experience, but with better PQ (and significantly better SQ).

Quote:
I don't buy new discs unless it's the cheapest way to get the steaming codes.
Quote:
I'm really enjoying the interview but I'm confused when they mention the growth of UHD. They mention the percentages of UHD vs other formats but all the UHD titles I own came WITH Blu Ray and Digital! I think because of this the numbers are bogus.

I only purchased the UHD discs I have for the streaming codes. I already owned them on Blu Ray and a few of them I owned on DVD. But,... I was buying Blu Ray at the same time and for almost the same cost.

-Brian

This is precisely the reason why I don't understand why anyone does anything OTHER than buy the discs... the UHD Blu Rays come with Blu Rays and redemption codes. The CD often (amazon, etc) comes with MP3 digital downloads already made. You don't HAVE to rip them yourself like I do... the convenience is already there for you to enjoy.

The following isn't directed at any one specific person, just a generic observation. It has always intrigued/baffled me how many people I know who are ready/willing to spend A LOT of money on VERY LARGE, mid-range to high-end flat panels (65" OLEDs, 65" and larger LCDs, etc). A lot of people I know have at least one "main TV" in their house that cost well over $1,000 (more than a few own a set that they invested more than $2,000 in... some own more than one such $1k+ set). The percentage of those people who:
A) Then choose to feed those screens low-bitrate-compressed-video with low-bitrate-only audio options
B) AT BEST have a $200-tops soundbar under it (most of them just use the built-in speakers of the TV)
C) Both A and B...

Is essentially *almost* everyone I know in real life, with very few exceptions. Honestly it doesn't make much sense to me to pinch pennies/squeeze a couple bucks here or there for "cheaper Digital movie codes" *if* you dropped $2k or more on the screen... but it also never made sense to me to spend $2k+ on the screen and then pucker at the idea of spending even $500 on a simple HTIB setup. But I guess that's what make internet websites like this one niche/enthusiast-only.

Last edited by psuKinger; 01-13-2019 at 12:10 PM.
post #15 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 159
There are only a few reasons for discs to keep existing:

1. Poor internet access
2. Bad internet regulations (no net neutrality, caps, etc)
3. Luddites/elderly

Otherwise the convenience of streaming will always win with the average consumer.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #16 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post

1. Poor internet access
3. Luddites/elderly

Otherwise the convenience of streaming will always win with the average consumer.
I agree but would add a fourth category: Collectors. I'm one and this is the golden age for someone like me. The number of labels/publishers putting out non-mainstream titles on disc and often in the best quality possible is astounding.

If I take off my collector hat and simply want to watch something, I'm fine with streaming. On my 100" screen with a calibrated projector I struggle distinguishing between a high bandwidth Netflix or Vudu stream and a BD. OK, the sound is compressed but for the kind of content I watch it rarely makes a difference.
beerhunt likes this.

Equipment and collection link:
Spoiler!
post #17 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post

1. Poor internet access
3. Luddites/elderly

I mean, *some* of what you said is true. But not nearly as much of it as you think.

There are PLENTY of examples of perfectly valid/profitable businesses that appeal to/attract only enthusiasts/niche markets. Examples of this would be numerous and easy to rattle off.

Until/unless streaming achieves 4K UHD bitrates for movies (100 mbps) and the "mainstream" (Spotify, etc) music services offer CD-quality streaming, there will still be enthusiasts who are will find the hassle of discs to be "worth the walk"... if there's enough of us to keep as many high end/boutique speaker/home theater/headphones manufacturers s in business as their are, there will be enough demand for better quality source material until/unless the streaming option becomes equal-or-better in quality.
post #18 of 66 Old 01-12-2019, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Really just three?

How about full blown HD video and audio?

Until streaming is able to compete with the best of the best sir, as in use the disk, I'll stick with my hard copies.
post #19 of 66 Old 01-13-2019, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Honestly it make about as much sense to me to pinch pennies/squeeze a couple bucks here or there for "cheaper Digital movie codes" *if* you dropped $2k or more on the screen... but it also never made sense to me to spend $2k+ on the screen and then pucker at the idea of spending even $500 on a simple HTIB setup. But I guess that's what make internet websites like this one niche/enthusiast-only.
Like buying a $250K F88 Ferrari and complaining about the cost of insurance and buying 87octane gas from Sams Club.

Epson ProCinema 6040UB - Screen Innovations Series 5 Fixed Pure Grey 120" 2.35 Ultra-wide - Emotiva XMC-1 Procesr - Emotiva Gen 3 3-channel Amp - Emotiva Gen 3 4-channel Amp - Panamax M5400-PM Power Line Regulator - Oppo 203 player - Polk Audio RTi12 Floorstanding Speaker - Polk CSi5 Center Speaker - Polk Audio FXIA6 Surround Speakers - JTR Captivator 118HT (x2) Sub-woofer - Mid-Atlantic Rack ASX-SXR-28 - HT Market Warwick seating
post #20 of 66 Old 01-14-2019, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Will streaming ever sound as good as a physical disc? From what I have heard so far, it has a ways to go. I love the aspect of streaming, and watch a lot, but when I want to get serious about watching a blockbuster with a great soundtrack, I always go physical disc.
mr266, aaronwt, seggers and 5 others like this.
post #21 of 66 Old 01-14-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
Will streaming ever sound as good as a physical disc? From what I have heard so far, it has a ways to go. I love the aspect of streaming, and watch a lot, but when I want to get serious about watching a blockbuster with a great soundtrack, I always go physical disc.
1000% yes.

I subscribe to and actively use streaming subscriptions for Netflix, HBO Now, Youtube Premium, and Google Play Music. We use them *a lot* in my house. We love them. I'm streaming Google Play Music right now as I type this. Those services are GREAT for casual entertainment and convenience. I totally get why they're as popular as they are; we love them too in my house.

But for a premium music or movie experience (more for the sound than for the the image, IMO, but I won't argue too strongly with the PQ perfectionists either), we buy Blu Rays, 4k UHD discs, CDs, and FLAC files...
post #22 of 66 Old 01-14-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Quote:
1000% yes.

I subscribe to and actively use streaming subscriptions for Netflix, HBO Now, Youtube Premium, and Google Play Music. We use them *a lot* in my house. We love them. I'm streaming Google Play Music right now as I type this. Those services are GREAT for casual entertainment and convenience. I totally get why they're as popular as they are; we love them too in my house.

But for a premium music or movie experience (more for the sound than for the the image, IMO, but I won't argue too strongly with the PQ perfectionists either), we buy Blu Rays, 4k UHD discs, CDs, and FLAC files...
A download has the potential to be as good as a disc, adaptive streaming not so much, it can be good but you are that the mercy of the internet in real time. So I agree with you.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #23 of 66 Old 01-15-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
A download has the potential to be as good as a disc, adaptive streaming not so much, it can be good but you are that the mercy of the internet in real time. So I agree with you.
For movies, like you said, it's "in theory" true, but not in practice (to my knowledge) yet...

For music, the "theory" is already "reality." But for reasons that don't make a whole lot of sense to me, CDs are *almost always* cheaper than 16/44.1 FLAC downloads... I always check before I buy. I'd prefer the option that involves more efficiency, less waste, and speedier delivery...
tenthplanet likes this.
post #24 of 66 Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 AM
IAH

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hopefully when "physical media" dies, the production companies will offer an uncompressed, bit-for-bit download purchase option , the same way they offer a compressed version on various apps. That would alleviate some of our anxiety over the possibility of the end of physical media (at least for me it would). Why wouldn't they?
psuKinger and unretarded like this.
post #25 of 66 Old 01-15-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAH View Post
Hopefully when "physical media" dies, the production companies will offer an uncompressed, bit-for-bit download purchase option , the same way they offer a compressed version on various apps. That would alleviate some of our anxiety over the possibility of the end of physical media (at least for me it would). Why wouldn't they?
I believe Kaleidescape already offers bit perfect downloads of 4K blu-rays. And there are services that offer better than CD quality music downloads.

If there is a market for it they will do it. But the vast majority of consumers will be happy with streaming.
IAH and aaronwt like this.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #26 of 66 Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:

I don't know what video you watched, but that person must have been an idiot. I load a UHD disc in my Sony UHD player click play movie, and within 30 seconds I am at either trailers, which can almost always be skipped then directly to the title screen. Streaming is never as good a quality as disc based. You have lossy video quality, and rarely get full Atmos or DTS:X soundtracks. I will be buying discs until you pry them from my dead hands. I OWN the movie I bought, I can watch it whenever I want, I don't have to worry about netflix or Amazon Prime no longer carrying it more moving to a different area and losing it from iTunes because I am in a different region.
post #27 of 66 Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 8451 Post(s)
Liked: 5335
I've always used a combination of discs and streaming. Heck some titles are only available in UHD/HDR from streaming. So there is no choice there but to purchase the streaming version if you want in in UHD and HDR.

But some titles I purchase on disc. Some titles I purchase digitally. Some titles I will rent on disc. And some titles I rent digitally.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #28 of 66 Old 01-16-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've always used a combination of discs and streaming. Heck some titles are only available in UHD/HDR from streaming. So there is no choice there but to purchase the streaming version if you want in in UHD and HDR.

But some titles I purchase on disc. Some titles I purchase digitally. Some titles I will rent on disc. And some titles I rent digitally.
Hmm I haven't seen anything that is in UHD only streaming, and not on disc. Thats not totally true, there are some tv shows like Breaking Bad that had 4k streams on Netflix, but those aren't really 4k streams, as far as I know there has never been a master above 1080p done on that. The only other exceptions I can think of are things like Netflix Exclusives.
post #29 of 66 Old 01-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have streamed more movies lately because a) Netflix makes it easy, and b) Kids make it necessary. But like many here, when it's big sound movie night and the friends come over, it's disc all the way.
unretarded likes this.
post #30 of 66 Old 01-16-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokid1970 View Post
I have streamed more movies lately because a) Netflix makes it easy, and b) Kids make it necessary. But like many here, when it's big sound movie night and the friends come over, it's disc all the way.
I watch lots of random stuff on Netflix and Amazon Prime, but the worst part is, a few years ago before they closed the last standalone movie place, Hasting's, which had tons of random movies as well as books and other stuff, but, a good portion of the random stuff I watch on Netflix I very well might have bought on disc. I used to to there and browse the aisles to see what I could find, and there are many many many movies I NEVER would have bought or watched had I not stumbled on them at Hastings. Hobo with a Shotgun always comes to mind, its a really fun movie, but had I not been walking the rows and seen the title and said yeah your coming home with me I never would have seen it. Same thing with a bunch of the Toyko Gore genre films, not gory by the way just REALLY Japanese, those aren't something I would run across on amazon and certainly not something you would run across on something like Netflix or Amazon Prime, these are movies I really like but could NEVER watch any other way had I not found them on disc.
SuperFist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming