post #31 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1879 Post(s)
Liked: 4883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
Precisely why we try our best to cross reference information and ask the supposed authorities to help.
A good strategy, but if the original source of information is incorrect, as was the case with the HU9000 panel, that error will propagate to other sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
A good strategy, but if the original source of information is incorrect, as was the case with the HU9000 panel, that error will propagate to other sources.
Agreed/known ~ What I am hoping is that the cross reference to the Tcon as part of the signal path reveals possible errors in listings.

It's good to know you have a manner or industry insider that can correct at least one manner we/I have used to assist curious members.

Thank you for the article again Scott. Hopefully one day It will not be out of scope to investigate or champion a way to test a panel via the back plane.
markrubin likes this.
post #33 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Follow up question

For anybody in the know...

Quote:
To answer this question, some AVS members pointed to a video interview from SPSN (Samsung Product Support Network)—a Samsung-sponsored YouTube channel—in which National Product Testing Manager Scott Cohen clearly states that the HU9000 has a 10-bit panel. Also, some members have cited the spec sheet for a replacement panel for the HU9000 from third-party supplier TV Service Parts, which clearly indicates that it's a 10-bit panel.

However, it turns out that the panel within the HU9000 is, in fact, 8-bit, and that Scott Cohen and TV Service Parts were mistakenly misinformed. (There was no intent to deceive; it was a clerical error.)
Let me see if I can ask this clearly. How did HU9000 specification of not being 10bit become revealed? Who, what, when, where and especially HOW?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
But I would prefer a panel with a native bit depth of at least 10 bits
I feel like the main conclusion to your article, is that it doesn't even matter if the panel is truly 10bit or 8 bit so long as the set has high quality image processing. as visibly, you can't even tell or know if the panel is 10 bit or not. So I must ask, how can you even know what you prefer? This to me sounds like a classic case of "what you don't know can't hurt you".
King Richard likes this.

Last edited by ttnuagmada; 04-16-2016 at 04:16 AM.
post #35 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post
I feel like the main conclusion to your article, is that it doesn't even matter if the panel is truly 10bit or 8 bit so long as the set has high quality image processing. as visibly, you can't even tell or know if the panel is 10 bit or not. So I must ask, how can you even know what you prefer? This to me sounds like a classic case of "what you don't know can't hurt you".
I don't think AVS'ers go by "what you don't know can't hurt you" we really want to know:

like if you bought a car advertised with a V8 engine and you found out it was a V6, and the dealer told you it did not matter because it was just as fast....

not sure if this article was quoted yet:

http://hdguru.com/whats-a-10-bit-tv-and-is-it-better/
timc1475 likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system

post #36 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I don't think AVS'ers go by "what you don't know can't hurt you" we really want to know:

like if you bought a car advertised with a V8 engine and you found out it was a V6, and the dealer told you it did not matter because it was just as fast....

not sure if this article was quoted yet:

http://hdguru.com/whats-a-10-bit-tv-and-is-it-better/
Yeah, but if you had no way of ever knowing if it were a V8, and it still sounded like a V8, and was as fast as a V8, would it matter then?

What if your car was slower than a V8 should be, and sounded bad for a V8, and when you go digging, you find out that it is indeed a V8, would you be happier than you would be with the other car?

Last edited by ttnuagmada; 04-16-2016 at 04:59 AM.
post #37 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
Yeah, but if you had no way of ever knowing if it were a V8, and it still sounded like a V8, and was as fast as a V8, would it matter then? What if your car was slower than a V8, and sounded bad for a V8, and when you go digging, you find out that it is indeed a V8, would you be happier than you would with the other car?
point taken:it may or may not matter to the individual user

just saying that I want to know up front, and I want the correct information published up front

one thing I am certain of: if it was advertised as 10 bit, and I found out it was 8 bit, I would not be happy, and if the dealer told me it did not make any difference, it would be little solace at that point....
morpheus75 and King Richard like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system

Last edited by markrubin; 04-16-2016 at 05:03 AM.
post #38 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
point taken:it may or may not matter to the individual user

just saying that I want to know up front, and I want the correct information published up front

one thing I am certain of: if it was advertised as 10 bit, and I found out it was 8 bit, I would not be happy, and if the dealer told me it did not make any difference, it would be little solace at that point....
I understand fully the need/desire to know all of the hardware details, but with things currently being how they are, with us just not really being able to know if a panel is 8 or true 10 bit, I say that the end result is what matters. If an 8 bit panel with great dithering has smoother gradients than a 10 bit panel without good processing, then whether or not a panel is true 8bit or true 10bit doesn't even tell us which display is superior when it comes to gradients, which is all the fuss about 8bit vs 10bit is about, no?
post #39 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
You are half right. It is true that a panel with a smaller color gamut cannot use dithering to reproduce colors outside of its gamut. As you mentioned, it can only use dithering to reproduce a color that lies between two colors that the panel is otherwise capable of reproducing. However, the size of a display's native color gamut has no direct connection to its bit depth. An 8-bit panel can have a wider color gamut than a 10-bit panel. Therefore, you can't determine bit depth by looking at the size of the color gamut.
I see your point, but I'm under the impression that it's the size of the color gamut that makes 10-bit panels harder/more expensive to manufacture, so I guess I was assuming that if a manufacturer was going to take a shortcut to save cost, they'd be using an old-style panel with the SDR color gamut.
post #40 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
.. If an 8 bit panel with great dithering has smoother gradients than a 10 bit panel without good processing, then whether or not a panel is true 8bit or true 10bit doesn't even tell us which display is superior when it comes to gradients, which is all the fuss about 8bit vs 10bit is about, no?
Good Morning,

I don't own anything newer than 2008 as far as HDTV, However I do read a few forums and absorb what I can, be it little or less than the average AVS'er I don't know.

The point Mark makes about the selling factors, in advance of purchase can not be swept under the rug. Poster/Buyer/Advocates world wide look to spec and information to justify the purchase and if anything is true or honorable in this market; living up to the expectations of consumers is key.

I say this as it was my understanding that consumers became aware of the rapid change in technology being thrown into HDTV's and wanted some measure of placation that the investment would be somewhat 'Future Proof' or have hardware outside the set that did/could/will have software update(s) to improve or enhance the performance.

Ie the Evolution Kits or other devices. So having the capacity, if you will, of 10bit path/performance/output, could be that assurance consumers hedged on.

post #41 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Bottom Line

As Stacey Spears has pointed out to me, there is no way to definitively measure the native bit depth of a display panel without physically dismantling the TV and testing the panel directly, which is clearly impractical. So I'm afraid those who believe that the tests mentioned in this article can provide this information are mistaken. Instead, these tests measure the performance of the system as a whole.

An HDR display with an 8-bit panel and good dithering algorithms can certainly display HDR content in a way that looks better than the best SDR presentation. But I would prefer a panel with a native bit depth of at least 10 bits, along with a signal path that maintains 10-bit precision from one end to the other. I wish there was a foolproof way for consumers to determine this for all displays, but in some cases, there isn't.

Still, the bottom line is how it looks displaying real program material. If you like what you see, there's no need to stress about the panel's bit depth—just sit back and enjoy!

Many thanks to Stacey Spears and Tyler Pruitt of SpectraCal for their generous help with this article.

Note: Please do not quote this entire article when posting a comment. Feel free to quote the relevant portion that pertains to your comment, but wading through the entire thing in the comments is quite annoying. Thanks!

Hi Scott
How to know if the panel to our TV is a true 10-bit color?

Forget about all those software "gyms" that you have chosen in your article.

For this, you need an DSLR camera and the necessary lens for shooting in macro mode.
Drop white screen from PC to TV. This will make you light up all domains in pixels. Then count subpixel domains in the picture.
To seek several images to compare from Internet.

Panasonic TX-58DX900E : Test complet

Here we see 12 domain (small squares in subpixels) which means that the matrix is 12 bit.
12 bit color - 2 at the 12 degree or 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 - gives us 4096 shades of color.

10 bit color - 2 at the 10th degree or 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 gives us 1024 tint.

Now let's look at a matrix of last year's model Panasonic TX-55CX800E
Panasonic TX-55CX800E : Test complet

Here we see 8 domain subpixel, it means that the matrix is 8-bit.
8 bit color - 2 of eighth grade or 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 gives us 256 shades.

The standard 8-bit panels normally used for LCD TVs are able to provide 256 degrees of gradation between colors ... which is too small to display the surrounding reality where the colors are 48 bit. The low bits the panel leads to the effect color banding

General:
The color depth is the number of bits used to represent the brightness of a color component (red, green or blue). The current standard is 8 bits, which represents 256 brightness measurements for each color component. The final color of a pixel is a mixture of red, green and blue; a pixel is encoded in 24 bits.

The Rec.2020:
The Rec.2020 defines encoding of a color component, also known as color depth, 10 bits or 12 bits. Color area Rec.2020 returns to encode a pixel of 30 bits (3x10 bit) or 36 bit (3x12 bit) for data describing its luminance and therefore its colorimetry. The color depth of 8 bits is finally abandoned by Rec.2020 color space enabling smooth color gradients and avoid the phenomenon known as Banding.

Color depth, that is the number of bits used to represent the brightness of the color components (red, green or blue). The current standard is 8 bits representing 256 steps of brightness for each color component. The final color of the pixel is a mixture of red, green and blue; pixel is encoded in 24 bits (3 sub-pixels x 8 bits = 24 bits).
In summary:
8 bits per channel RGB = 24 bits total = 256 x 256 x 256 (shades of blue, red and green) = 16.7 million colors
10 bits per channel RGB = 30 bits total = 1024 x 1024 x 1024 (shades of blue, red and green) = 1.07 billion colors
12 bits per channel RGB = 36 bits total = 4096 x 4096 x 4096 (shades of blue, red and green) = 68.71 billion colors
14 bit per channel RGB = 42 bits total = 16394 x 16394 x 16394 (shades of blue, red and green) = 4 406 104 490 984 colors
16 bits per channel RGB = 48 bits total = 65 576 x 65 576 x 65 576 shades of blue, red and green = 281 990 684 422 976 colors

In the 8 bit video panels use a few tricks to play 10 bit color.

Dithering - this is the rendering of two shades to reproduce intermediate shades.
Make a matrix in order to reproduce the precise shade, as there is in the incoming video signal, but can not replicate in normal mode of 8-bit matrix.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither
FRC - Frame Rate Control
1.Display Color : 16.7 million colors (8-bit)
2.Display Color : 1.06 billion colors (8-bit + Dithering)
3.Display Colors : 1.07 billion colors (10-bit)

For videos (films, concerts, documentaries) stored on optical physical media (Ultra HD Blu-ray):

The specifications of the Blu-ray ultra broadcast in January 2015 indicate two color depth allowed:

• 8 bits if encoding stroke,
• 10-bit encoding if HEVC.

For broadcast TV (ie Broadcasting via satellite or TNT, broadbanding ie via internet or via live website housing):

The DVB consortium, which specifies parameters such exploitable UHD television signals in Europe (UHD UHD-1 and-2), set in January 2014 to a depth of 10bits single color for the introductory phase of the UHD -1. The 8-bit is left permanently for future UHDTV channels broadcast in Europe. Negotiations are underway for the UHD-1 (2nd phase which should be released in 2017) can also be distributed in 12 bits. This abandonment of the 8 bits can anticipate the arrival of another expected feature of UHDTV namely the High Dynamic Range (HDR). HDR works with a result of degraded video signals whose primaries are encoded in 8 bits where the formalization of minimum 10 bits.

For videos (films, concerts, documentaries) available via streaming or video sites on demand:

Due to the problems related to the low internet bandwidth available in the majority of consumers, coding 8 bits long remain the reference display format on the net.

In this post I made a few tables specifically for you and everyone else.
Attention! The information in the tables is for European models.

http://forum.setcombg.com/%D1%82%D0%...tml#post767691

The human eye differs contrast (naturally) no more than 40,000: 1 and 2.3 million colors. And resolution is 576,000,000,000 pixels.
Sensitivity is 0.000001 cd/m2 - that is, at night you can see a burning candle from several kilometers away.
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...esolution.html

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm

Last edited by hristoslav2; 04-16-2016 at 01:57 PM.
post #42 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Talking Succor for all Men

post #43 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 2309
"As Stacey Spears has pointed out to me, there is no way to definitively measure the native bit depth of a display panel without physically dismantling the TV and testing the panel directly, which is clearly impractical. So I’m afraid those who believe that the tests mentioned in this article can provide this information are mistaken. Instead, these tests measure the performance of the system as a whole."

So, aside from the general preference for spec transparency, if: (1) there is no way to test for the difference between 10-bit native versus 8-bit plus dithering; and (2) we can't visually tell the difference between 10-bit native 8-bit plus dithering with any confidence; and (3) the only thing that really matters is the "performance of the system as a whole," why do we think its all that important to be native 10-bit versus 8-bit with dither that performs as well as native 10-bit because of kick-as processing?
IgorZep likes this.
post #44 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
One member posted the screen shot above from the software control panel of his GeForce 750 graphics card, which was connected to an HU9000 with SEK-3500. The software allowed him to select the card’s maximum bit depth for that display, 32 bits per pixel, which was claimed to indicate that the TV can accept a 10-bit signal (30 bpp). However, this probably means that the card can send no more than 24 bpp plus an 8-bit “alpha” channel. Also, if the HDMI bandwidth of this card is 10.2 Gbps (which I haven’t yet verified), it can’t send any more than 8 bits per color at 4K/60p, as the control panel indicates.
I hope you don't mind me naggin

But something isn't quite right in that screenshot. First of all, I doubt the GPU is a Geforce 750, since that is a pretty old GPU that doesn't support HDMI 2.0, but only HDMI 1.4. That means it would only support a maximum of 30hz at 4K. Second the resolution in the picture says "real" 4K, not the UHD 4K. I'm guessing the HU9000 doesn't support "real" 4K.

Also the GFX card doesn't send 24bpp plus and 8-bit alpha channel. It's 24bpp, period. The alpha thing is internal to the GUI.
And lastly, the full HDMI 2.0x bandwidth of 18Gbps supports a maximum of RGB 8bits per color at 4K/60. 10.2Gbps would be limited to 30hz.
I'd say the member who posted that picture is probably trolling.

Btw. The HDMI committee should have upped the bandwidth 20% to at least get us 10bit color at 4K/60, this would make things so much easier for everyone. Preferably the bandwidth should have been 27Gbps as that would give us 12bit@4K60. I mean, even DP 1.3 is 32.4Gbs
post #45 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked: 2914
I always was under the impression that a panel can only dither up one level due the extra alpha channel. so 6 bit with dithering can do 8 bit only and 8 bit with dithering can only do 10 bits not 12 bits. Both AMD and Nvidia gpus detect 12 bits max but on some different 4k panels only 10 bits. Also the Hu set b4 Sek still showed 12 bits in EDID and GPU's.
The part that I need explained is why both HU8700 and Js9500,9000,8500 all share the exact same panel EDID down to bits,serial number and week made? This says the the panels are same minus the layer of quantum dots which is just a sheet put in between the panel and does nothing to effect bits. Surely a panel that has same serial number and mades same week and day does not have a different pixel structure.

Hu8700 edid

Js9500 edid

These are my selectable bits from my R9 290 AMD gpu they are the same regardless if OCB is attached or not

To my understanding there is no true 12 bit 4k panel and only a 10 bit panel can dither 12 bits that a 8 bit panel cannot do it. I always though that a PC gpu will only see what panel is capable of displaying and that only a 10 bit can dither 12 bits and obviously we dont have any native 12 bit consumer 4k displays..

So basically Scott is saying the panel can accept the signal but it does not mean it's native 10 bits which I understand but why does 12 bits show up though. How can 2 panels have the same Serial number date made etc if not the same or reused?

Somebody needs to take some DSLR pics of HU panel and Js and match them up easiest way to determine bits as to above posters advice. I will say this I see no banding when I choose 10 bits on my PC all gradient 10 bits images are very smooth.

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8

Last edited by player002; 04-16-2016 at 10:56 PM.
post #46 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also want to add that some of the Hu panels had 2 different listing for panels some were 8 bits some 10 bits. My model for example is HU8700 which was made after HU9000 it has 4 different panels some Samsung others outsourced. This panel is still listed @ 10 bits on Samsung parts and the 8 bit panel for the set is discontinued. I was able to look through the back of my set and actually see the part number for my panel which is BN95-01379B TH01(Samsung made) this is my panel below

Here is a 8 bit panel for the same model that is discontinued

Another thing the 60 inch Hu8550 used a Sharp 4k panel to my knowledge all sharp 4k panels where 10 bits starting in 2014 actually all there panels have been 10 bits from 2014 to my knowledge. They did not make that many typos on panel bits IMO here is another from 50 inch Inx outsourced panel parts listing .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UN65HU8700F - Original Samsung Parts & Accessories and Products - Google Chrome 4_17_2016 1_02_4.jpg
Views:	1617
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1385946   Click image for larger version

Name:	BN95-01379B - PRODUCT LCD-AMLCD - Google Chrome 2_26_2016 9_33_43 AM.png
Views:	1613
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	1385954   Click image for larger version

Name:	BN96-30713A - ASSY OPEN CELL - Google Chrome 4_17_2016 1_04_56 AM.jpg
Views:	1602
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1385962   Click image for larger version

Name:	BN95-01373A - PRODUCT LCD-INX - Google Chrome 4_17_2016 1_33_25 AM.jpg
Views:	1720
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1385986  

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8

Last edited by player002; 04-16-2016 at 11:43 PM.
post #47 of 359 Old 04-16-2016, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Yes finally after a few years people are understanding bit depth is a more important upgrade than the home video HDR gimmickry.
post #48 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Yes finally after a few years people are understanding bit depth is a more important upgrade than the home video HDR gimmickry.
The only thing I'm learning is that video processing is more important than actual bit-depth.
post #49 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The only thing I'm learning is that video processing is more important than actual bit-depth.
Both are equally important! Read and comment.
http://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html

Last edited by hristoslav2; 04-17-2016 at 06:52 AM.
post #50 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 298
A point worth noting here is it appears even native 10 bit (without dither) isn't sufficient to eliminate banding. I'm deducing this because it was pointed out that 8 bit which is well dithered/processed can look better than 10 bit un-dithered/un-manipulated. It seems that to get beyond the need for dithering would require at least 12 bits.
post #51 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
A point worth noting here is it appears even native 10 bit (without dither) isn't sufficient to eliminate banding. I'm deducing this because it was pointed out that 8 bit which is well dithered/processed can look better than 10 bit un-dithered/un-manipulated. It seems that to get beyond the need for dithering would require at least 12 bits.
To reduce Banding, particularly at high values of luminance, the company develops a new Dolby OETFs called Perceptual quantification (PQ). Dolby says this system can improve the color gradients in the display of highlights, reflections of the sun or the fireworks, as well as details to low light levels. In fact, the company claims that a color depth of 12 bits PQ equivalent to a 14-bit color depth in OETFs based on gamma.

On the image above, the dotted line represents the limit above which the banding appears below which the banding does not appear.
The green curve represents a 10-bit color depth in PQ, the banding may then appear.
The black curve represents a 12-bit color depth in PQ, the banding can not appear.

Here are the projections of results expected by the Dolby Vision technology associated with the color space Rec 2020:
post #52 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hristoslav2 View Post
Hi Scott
How to know if the panel to our
For this, you need an DSLR camera and the necessary lens for shooting in macro mode.
Drop white screen from PC to TV. This will make you light up all domains in pixels. Then count subpixel domains in the picture.

People may be surprised at what a Smart Phone equipped with a DVD lens can capture.

Un60ju7100fxza mh01
Brand Samsung
Model UN60JU7100FXZA
Version MH01

Specification
CY-GJ060FLSV1V,JU7000,
PRODUCT LCD-SHARP

Last edited by Woobieizer; 06-17-2016 at 02:32 PM.
post #53 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked: 6060
Taking pictures of pixels is only to going to potentially prove that you are rendering in 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. You will have a much more difficult time proving that's it's doing it in a true 10/12bit signal path.
markrubin likes this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #54 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Taking pictures of pixels is only to going to potentially prove that you are rendering in 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. You will have a much more difficult time proving that's it's doing it in a true 10/12bit signal path.
Ughhhh thanks just as I ripped a lens outta spare DVD laser. This makes sense though.

My set up
post #55 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Explain in detail how a picture of the matrix will understand color sub-sampling 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0?
You know how it works and how the matrix degrees of brightness has a separate domain in VA matrix?

Quote:
• 4: 4: 4 because for every four pixel Y of each horizontal line of the video signal, there are also four Cb and Cr pixels on the even lines and four Cb and Cr pixels on the odd lines. As a lot of data and that the human visual system is much more sensitive to light than color, it tends to reduce the number of information Cb and Cr to obtain a signal in 4: 2: 2 or 4: 2: 0.

• 4: 2: 2 because for every four pixel Y of each horizontal line of the video signal, there are two pixels Cb and Cr pixels on the even lines and two Cb and Cr pixels on the odd lines. This equates to cut the horizontal resolution of half of color information.

• 4: 2: 0, because for every four pixel Y of each horizontal line of the video signal, there are two pixels Cb and Cr pixels on the even lines and no Cb and Cr pixels on the odd lines. This equates to cut the horizontal and vertical resolution by half of color information.

In both cases (4: 2: 2 and 4: 2: 0), the color information is reconstructed using interpolation, wherein a video processor recreates the missing pixels but with less precision.
post #56 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those subsampling are possible in 8, 10 and 12bit.

You would have to prove that a certain combination would only be possible with a specific pixel luminance. Good luck determining that with a camera.

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #57 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
That's like, just your uninformed opinion, man.

Oh brother, still calling HDR a gimmick I see. Bit depth enables HDR and one of its biggest benefits.

In case anyone else out there takes what you say as being somehow valid, Doug Trumbull, aka the guy who did the FX in 2001, said that High Frame rate is worth more than High dynamic range, but High dynamic range is more important than color gamut which is sort of what you are saying here. And all those things matter more than static resolution.

HDR in the home is not a gimmick, if anything it's actually in the home where it's more likely to take off in its better way.

FALD TVs can probably reproduce Dolby Vision a lot more faithfully than most theaters.
player002 likes this.
post #58 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Those subsampling are possible in 8, 10 and 12bit.

You would have to prove that a certain combination would only be possible with a specific pixel luminance. Good luck determining that with a camera.
I know that! But you can not prove it with pictures of the matrix in different modes!

Nothing of the kind! You say that,, therefore you have to prove it!

To show it to me, you need several hundred photos in macro mode of the matrix in which they see different combinations of varying degrees of brightness of individual pixels domains.
For this purpose you need a computer (or generator patterns) to connect directly to the T-cone board of the panel.

The easiest way is to count the number of domains in the sub-pixel. In VA matrices, they have two levels of brightness. In ten domain per subpixel, we have - 2 at the 10th degree or 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 gives us 1024 tint.
post #59 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think we're saying the same thing but you're arguing that you can't even prove subsampling with pictures. I'm not an engineer but it seems obvious to me that pixel pictures aren't going to tell us anything here.

post #60 of 359 Old 04-17-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I think we're saying the same thing but you're arguing that you can't even prove subsampling with pictures. I'm not an engineer but it seems obvious to me that pixel pictures aren't going to tell us anything here.
We do not say the same ..
Color subsampling can not be proved with pictures of the matrix - this is a software, while the bits of the matrix is hardware!

Peace
gomo657 and Woobieizer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
<<. , bit depth , hdr