View Poll Results: HDR TV shall support all HDR formats.
HDR TV shall support all HDR formats. 116 95.87%
Other (Please detail in a post) 5 4.13%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 540Likes

post #61 of 457 Old 01-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
I would not think of Dolby Vision as a dark horse. That brand is owned licensed by the seven major Hollywood studios + Netflix, Amazon and Vudu.
FTFY

Quote:
All other content from outside that consortium will split between HDR10, YouTube (you left them out) and HLG.
Anyone can license Dolby Vision. Dolby is an independent company and is happy do business with anybody.

Quote:
The dark horse is HLG, and it has the most compelling reasons to succeed. Working against it though; late to the party, but has the backing of BBC, EBU and network/broadcast compatibility as well; backward compatibility with ALL display standards.
We'll see about that. HLG does not seem to adapt well to HDR displays with different peak brightnesses, and requires both SDR and HDR viewers to fiddle with a "brightness" setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 457 Old 01-06-2017, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
We'll see about that. HLG does not seem to adapt well to HDR displays with different peak brightnesses, and requires both SDR and HDR viewers to fiddle with a "brightness" setting.
May well be less of a flaw and more of a feature.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #63 of 457 Old 01-08-2017, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 863
@Tom Roper

I agree with you about the importance of HLG.

I think in the near future, every smartphone shall be capable to record in HLG, and able to output HLG video directly to a HLG compatible TV and to upload HLG video to YouTube.

By the way, thank you for posting a lot of HDR details on AVS, I learned a lot.
Tom Roper and PatOgg1718 like this.

Universal audio/video receiver (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, etc.) is achieved.
Universal HDR TV (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG / VP9-PQ YouTube HDR, Dynamic HDR) is required.

Push for universal HDR TV!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 457 Old 01-08-2017, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

About Advanced HDR by Technicolor

I am trying to understand what is Advanced HDR by Technicolor that will be implemented on 2017 LG TV.

"Advanced HDR by Technicolor combines award-winning technologies: Technicolor HDR ITM and Technicolor HDR.
This unique system, based on Technicolor’s open HDR approach, delivers networks in real-time with a mix of HDR and SDR in a single stream. No matter the content’s HDR curve, it ensures the best viewing quality for every end-user on every device type Technicolor.
HDR ITM up-converts legacy content to HDR, while Technicolor HDR, the distribution solution, ensures that it’s distributed and accurately displayed simultaneously on both HDR and SDR screens providing a consistent viewing experience."
http://www.technicolor.com/en/who-we...s-big-ibc-2016

I think Technicolor HDR is described in the ETSI TS 103 433 specification (i.e. SL-HDR1).
http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/...33v010101p.pdf

There is no standardized display adaptation in a legacy HDR10 ecosystem.
Technicolor HDR introduces a standardized display adaptation in a HDR10 ecosystem using the SMPTE ST 2094-20 (Philips) / 2094-30 (Technicolor) dynamic metadata.

"The system typically uses HEVC Main 10 profile for the bitstream generation and decoding. It includes a pre-processing block, prior to encoding, that converts an input HDR signal into an SDR version. Metadata can be generated in this step. After encoding and decoding the SDR signal, such metadata can be used in a post-processing step to reconstruct an HDR version of the signal. The decoded SDR video can be directly rendered on an SDR display without adaptation."
[JCTVC-Y1012]
http://phenix.it-sudparis.eu/jct/index.php

Decoder in a set-top box

Decoder in a TV

"The pre-encoding conversion process converts an input linear RGB 4:4:4 signal to SDR 10-bit Y’CbCr 4:2:0 signal by applying the following successive steps:
a) a conversion from an input linear RGB 4:4:4 representation to a non-linear representation using the inverse PQ EOTF,
b) a colour format conversion from non-linear PQ R’G’B’ 4:4:4 signal to Y’CbCr 4:4:4,
c) a conversion step that converts a floating-point to a fixed-point representation (i.e. 10 bits), narrow range,
d) a chroma down-conversion component that converts data from 4:4:4 to 4:2:0, resulting in a PQ 10-bit 4:2:0 Y’CbCr signal (PQ10),
e) a dynamic range adaptation (DRA) step that applies three different transfer functions to the 4:2:0 Y’, Cb, and Cr components of the PQ10 signal to generate a 10-bit SDR 4:2:0 Y’CbCr signal.
The resulting Y’CbCr signal, having BT.709/BT.2020 transfer characteristics and BT.2020 color primaries, is then encoded, using an HEVC Main 10 compliant encoder. The DRA transfer functions can be implemented in the shape of 1D-LUTs that directly apply to the PQ10 Y, Cb and Cr components, in 4:2:0 format.

After HEVC Main 10 compliant decoding, the decoded signal has BT.709/BT.2020 transfer characteristics and BT.2020 colour primaries. The post-decoding inverse conversion processing is the inverse of the pre-encoding processing. It is made of the following steps:
a) an inverse DRA process, converting the SDR 10-bits Y’CbCr 4:2:0 signal into a PQ10 compatible signal using the inverse DRA transfer functions,
b) a chroma up-conversion that converts data from Y’CbCr 4:2:0 to Y’CbCr 4:4:4,
c) a conversion step that converts a fixed-point representation, i.e. 10 bits, to a floating-point representation,
d) a colour representation conversion from Y’CbCr 4:4:4 to R’G’B’ 4:4:4,
e) a conversion using the PQ EOTF from the input R’G’B’ 4:4:4 to linear RGB 4:4:4."

Decoder in a set-top box

Input HDR video >> Pre-processing >> SDR + dynamic metadata >> HEVC encoder >> SDR bitstream + dynamic metadata in HEVC SEI >> HEVC decoder > Post-processing > CTA HDR10 uncompressed video >> HDMI 2.0a >> HDR10 compliant TV

Input HDR video >> Pre-processing >> SDR + dynamic metadata >> HEVC encoder >> SDR bitstream + dynamic metadata in HEVC SEI >> HEVC decoder > Post-processing > HLG uncompressed video >> HDMI 2.0b >> HLG compliant TV

Input HDR video >> Pre-processing >> SDR + dynamic metadata >> HEVC encoder >> SDR bitstream + dynamic metadata in HEVC SEI >> HEVC decoder >> HDMI >> SDR compliant TV

Universal HDR TV (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG / VP9-PQ YouTube HDR, Dynamic HDR) is required.

post #65 of 457 Old 01-09-2017, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another description of the "Technicolor HDR": Philips HDR technology white paper
http://www.ip.philips.com/data/downl...hite_paper.pdf

PatOgg1718 likes this.

Last edited by DanBa; 01-09-2017 at 07:33 AM.
post #66 of 457 Old 01-09-2017, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

LG's support of all major HDR formats

LG OLED TV will support all major HDR formats.
http://twitter.com/DanielBa78/statu...84619506728965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Yes for 3D on FHD BDs. No answer yet on the Youtube HDR support on LG's UHD BD player, but yes on all 2017 LG Super UHD and OLED TVs.
Apparently, all 2017 LG OLED TV will be compatible with HEVC HDR10, HEVC Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG YouTube HDR, VP9-PQ YouTube HDR and Technicolor HDR.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=27

At the end of the day, it is content that matters most, not content format.
A consumer-driven HDR TV shall be able to play any HDR content.

So far, Life's Good!

post #67 of 457 Old 01-09-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
LG OLED TV will support all major HDR formats.
http://twitter.com/DanielBa78/statu...84619506728965

Spoiler!

Apparently, all 2017 LG OLED TV will be compatible with HEVC HDR10, HEVC Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG YouTube HDR, VP9-PQ YouTube HDR and Technicolor HDR.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=27

At the end of the day, it is content that matters most, not content format.
A consumer-driven HDR TV shall be able to play any HDR content.

So far, Life's Good!
Is that the DanBa stamp of approval for 2017 LG's?! Are you going to give them some sort of Universal HDR sticker like the UHD Alliance's Ultra HD Premium certification?
DanBa and PatOgg1718 like this.
post #68 of 457 Old 01-09-2017, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alas, I am nobody.

I had a dream that AVS announced a new logo for Universal HDR TV and another new premium logo for Universal TV (i.e. a high-quality TV for the masses that remains functional for many years to come):

. Universal HDR TV: compliant with all existing operational HDR formats and committedly upgradable to ongoing standardized HDR formats.

. Universal TV = Universal HDR TV + HFR 120 fps:
4K UHD, 10/12 bit depth, WCG, HFR 120 fps and Universal HDR

[current HDR format 60 fps: HEVC Main 10, Level 5.1
HFR 120 fps: HEVC Main 10, Level 5.2]

Hence, the 2017 LG OLED TV can get the Universal HDR TV logo if there is a upgrade commitment.

As far as I understand, there are many implementation versions of HDMI 2.1: full 48 Gbps-capable HDMI 2.1 (i.e. compliant product likely available next year) or SMPTE ST-2094 Dynamic HDR-oriented HDMI 2.1.

"Moreover, the new HDMI 2.1 standard brings support for dynamic HDR metadata, enabling content makers to control levels of color, contrast and brightness on a frame-by-frame basis. The important part here is that dynamic HDR will not require the new 48G cable to handle video in up to 4Kp60 resolution and thus manufacturers may add support for dynamic HDR even using a firmware update."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11003/...0-48gbps-cable

So, the 2017 LG OLED TV could be compliant with Dynamic HDR-oriented HDMI 2.1 and could be upgraded to be compatible with hypothetical future Dynamic HDR format(s).
PatOgg1718 likes this.

post #69 of 457 Old 01-09-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Alas, I am nobody.

I had a dream that AVS announced a new logo for Universal HDR TV and another new premium logo for Universal TV (i.e. a high-quality TV for the masses that remains functional for many years to come):

. Universal HDR TV: compliant with all existing operational HDR formats and committedly upgradable to ongoing standardized HDR formats.

. Universal TV = Universal HDR TV + HFR 120 fps:
4K UHD, 10/12 bit depth, WCG, HFR 120 fps and Universal HDR

[current HDR format 60 fps: HEVC Main 10, Level 5.1
HFR 120 fps: HEVC Main 10, Level 5.2]

Hence, the 2017 LG OLED TV can get the Universal HDR TV logo if there is a upgrade commitment.

As far as I understand, there are many implementation versions of HDMI 2.1: full 48 Gbps-capable HDMI 2.1 (i.e. compliant product likely available next year) or SMPTE ST-2094 Dynamic HDR-oriented HDMI 2.1.

"Moreover, the new HDMI 2.1 standard brings support for dynamic HDR metadata, enabling content makers to control levels of color, contrast and brightness on a frame-by-frame basis. The important part here is that dynamic HDR will not require the new 48G cable to handle video in up to 4Kp60 resolution and thus manufacturers may add support for dynamic HDR even using a firmware update."

So, the 2017 LG OLED TV could be compliant with Dynamic HDR-oriented HDMI 2.1 and could be upgraded to be compatible with hypothetical future Dynamic HDR format(s).
First bold is certainly not true to your loyal fans.

Second bold: Ain't it wonderful?

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #70 of 457 Old 01-10-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 567
I dunno, I'd feel a lot more comfortable waiting for HDMI 2.1-compliant devices before committing to any 2017 TV or AVR.
DanBa and King Richard like this.
post #71 of 457 Old 01-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 129
LGs 2016 Super UHD LCD and OLED TVs are also getting an update to support HLG HDR.
DanBa likes this.
post #72 of 457 Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 4360
Quote:

48 Gbps is a maximum spec.

The 2.1 Specification also allows for resolutions up to 10K at 120Hz. I seriously doubt we will see that anytime soon (at least not at the consumer level).

Richard
richlife and DanBa like this.
post #73 of 457 Old 01-10-2017, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

HDMI 2.1 & Dynamic HDR

HDMI 2.1 Features FAQS:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

"Dynamic HDR

Q: Does this Dynamic HDR require the new 48G Cable?
A: No, but it will be necessary to enable 8K video with HDR

Q: Does the specification support the various HDR solutions?
A: Yes it supports various static and dynamic HDR solutions in the market

Q: Is this accessible via a firmware upgrade?
A: Manufacturers will be implementing this in various ways"

Explanation done by Scarabaeus:
http://01900888.com/forum/168-hd...l#post49609065

"Yes, HDMI 2.1 will be an incremental list of new features. Any HDMI device can choose to implement any new features, or not. Because of this, HDMI shys away from calling devices by version number, and instead want manufacturers to use the actual feature names. Like "HDMI 3D" or "DeepColor" or 18 GBit/s.

So, yes, there will be devices that can, and will, implement some of the new features specified in HDMI 2.1, on existing hardware, with just a firmware upgrade. These devices would technically be "HDMI 2.1" devices, even though you are not supposed to call them that."

Explanation done by AnandTech:

richlife and PatOgg1718 like this.

post #74 of 457 Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@King Richard

"full 48 Gbps-capable HDMI 2.1" = full-featured 48 Gbps-capable HDMI 2.1

post #75 of 457 Old 01-10-2017, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
@King Richard

"full 48 Gbps-capable HDMI 2.1" = full-featured 48 Gbps-capable HDMI 2.1
But you are apparently not supposed to call it either one... I'm not holding my breath for HDMI 2.1 features other than HLG and Dynamic HDR10. 8K and 48GB can wait for my next lifetime.
DanBa likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #76 of 457 Old 01-10-2017, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Technicolor flow diagram process looks so similar to Dolby Vision my head is spinning. It seems that for the colorist the process is identical, grade in HDR and then grade a trim pass scene by scene to generate SDR metadata. Technicolor seems not to produce a dual layer consisting of SDR AUs HDR AUs + metadata interleaved into a single dual layer file that is split into two downstream, like DV. I guess that's good, but honestly see no advantage for the content creator nor the user, but it would be more broadcast friendly. Hybrid log gamma on the other hand is simplified for the content creator because it eliminates the need for the separate SDR trim pass, is also broadcast friendly, and also because gamma based returns control to the user over his brightness setting. To me that makes the most sense and that's what I will likely support once HLG tv's become commonplace. I have maintained that display referenced brightness is never ending folly, just look at how many complain that it's too dark, and not only that, it's too bright, but HLG can be just right because you can tweak it yourself. Kind of like the three little bears.
richlife, DanBa and PatOgg1718 like this.
post #77 of 457 Old 01-11-2017, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

An interesting video about (live) HDR:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=971

Thank you, Penton.
King Richard and PatOgg1718 like this.

post #78 of 457 Old 01-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
The Technicolor flow diagram process looks so similar to Dolby Vision my head is spinning. It seems that for the colorist the process is identical, grade in HDR and then grade a trim pass scene by scene to generate SDR metadata. Technicolor seems not to produce a dual layer consisting of SDR AUs HDR AUs + metadata interleaved into a single dual layer file that is split into two downstream, like DV. I guess that's good, but honestly see no advantage for the content creator nor the user, but it would be more broadcast friendly. Hybrid log gamma on the other hand is simplified for the content creator because it eliminates the need for the separate SDR trim pass, is also broadcast friendly, and also because gamma based returns control to the user over his brightness setting. To me that makes the most sense and that's what I will likely support once HLG tv's become commonplace. I have maintained that display referenced brightness is never ending folly, just look at how many complain that it's too dark, and not only that, it's too bright, but HLG can be just right because you can tweak it yourself. Kind of like the three little bears.
As a content creator, HLG only eliminates the trim pass if you don't care that the SDR looks like crap or if you severely limit what you do creatively with the HDR.
post #79 of 457 Old 01-12-2017, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvLee View Post
As a content creator, HLG only eliminates the trim pass if you don't care that the SDR looks like crap or if you severely limit what you do creatively with the HDR.
Then grade a trim pass, but in the end it's just one file for both HDR and SDR, and no metadata.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #80 of 457 Old 01-13-2017, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Opinion of Lars Borg, principal scientist in digital video and audio engineering at Adobe:
http://us9.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...&id=72e5a61bea

"HLG" < "PQ" < HDR10 < "DMCVT"

DMCVT HDR: Dolby Vision, SMPTE ST 2094 dynamic metadata-based Dynamic HDR format(s)
"PQ" HDR: PQ10 (i.e. HDR10 without HDR10 static metadata) promoted by Ultra HD Forum and DVB
"HLG" HDR: HEVC HLG HDR promoted by BBC/NHK, and VP9-HLG YouTube HDR

post #81 of 457 Old 01-13-2017, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

HDR media (i.e. "reference mastering display") to (500-nit) consumer display tone mapping:
http://01900888.com/forum/465-hi...l#post48660369

post #82 of 457 Old 01-13-2017, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Opinion of Lars Borg, principal scientist in digital video and audio engineering at Adobe:
Dynamic metadata could potentially generate hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue from companies that have patents which cover it and from companies that sell patented software that use dynamic metadata. HLG is free, is based on gamma/log functions which have been around for decades, and will most likely be supported by free software before the end of the year. Not to be cynical but from the perspective of Adobe there is a very strong financial motivation for pushing the industry toward dynamic metadata.
post #83 of 457 Old 01-16-2017, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sony's support of all existing operational HDR formats

Apparently, many new Sony TVs will be compatible with HEVC HDR10, HEVC Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG YouTube HDR and VP9-PQ YouTube HDR.

"Sony and Dolby announced a partnership at CES 2017 to bring the Dolby Vision HDR format to high-end 2017 models as well as last year’s Z9D/ZD9 flagship.

It was also confirmed that YouTube HDR is coming to all 2017 4K/HDR models. In addition, Sony will release an update to TVs launched in fall 2016, meaning Z9D (ZD9), XD83, SD80, X80D (XD80), X75D (XD75), and X70D (XD70).

Lastly, Sony confirmed that HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma), which is the third HDR format, will come to all 2017 models via an update later this year."
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1484553703

Last edited by DanBa; 01-20-2017 at 10:54 AM.
post #84 of 457 Old 01-18-2017, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Atsc 3.0: Pq/hlg hdr, hfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post
The ATSC 3.0 candidate standard for video was recently updated with sections on HDR and it supports both HLG and PQ.

http://atsc.org/standards/candidate-standards/
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1015

ATSC 3.0 will likely support PQ or HLG:

"The video transfer characteristics shall be signaled as one of the following: SDR, PQ, or HLG as specified in Sections 6.3.2.1, 6.3.2.2, and 6.3.2.3, respectively."
http://atsc.org/wp-content/uploads/2...Video-HEVC.pdf

Concerning PQ, ATSC 3.0 will likely support HDR10 without static metadata, or HDR10:

"The bitstream may contain SEI messages with payloadType value equal to 137. This allows for the optional transmission of the Mastering Display Color Volume SEI message. It is not mandatory to transmit the Mastering Display Color Volume SEI message.
The bitstream may contain SEI messages with payloadType value equal to 144. This allows for the optional transmission of the Content Light Level Information SEI message. It is not mandatory to transmit the Content Light Level Information SEI message.
For more information regarding Mastering Display Color Volume metadata see SMPTE ST 2086 [21]. For more information regarding Content Light Level Information metadata (MaxFALL and MaxCLL) see CTA-861-G [22] Annex P."

ATSC 3.0 will likely support HFR 120 fps (HEVC Level 5.2) or current HDR frame rate (HEVC Level 5.1: up to 60 fps):

"HEVC encoded ATSC 3.0 Progressive Video shall comply with the following constraints:
• The bitstream shall conform to HEVC Main 10 Profile or HEVC Scalable Main 10 Profile, Main Tier, Level 5.2. Note that when a bitstream is indicated to conform to a level that is lower than Level 5.2, it is also considered as conforming to Level 5.2.
• The color subsampling shall be 4:2:0."

An ATSC 3.0-compliant TV should have:
. a capable (i.e. powerful enough) TV System-on-Chip, likely with 10-bit HEVC Main 10 Level 5.1 hardware decoding or with 10-bit HEVC Main 10 Level 5.2 hardware decoding, for HDR processing / display adaptation
. an ATSC 3.0 physical layer chip for broadcast reception.

post #85 of 457 Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

DVB UHD Phase 2: PQ/HLG HDR, HFR

As far as I understand, the video parts of ATSC 3.0 (candidate standard) and DVB UHD Phase 2 are basically the same, i.e. PQ/HLG HDR, HFR.
http://www.dvb.org/standards#standardgroup_24

PQ10 + optional static metadata = "HDR10"

A DVB UHD Phase 2-compliant TV should have:
. a capable (i.e. powerful enough) TV System-on-Chip, likely with 10-bit HEVC hardware decoding (up to 60 fps) or with 10-bit HEVC Main 10 Level 5.2 hardware decoding (up to 120 fps)
. a DVB T2 / S2 physical layer chip for broadcast reception.

The HEVC bitstreams of DVB UHD Phase 2 / ATSC 3.0 can also be delivered over IP networks.
King Richard likes this.

post #86 of 457 Old 01-19-2017, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The ST 2094 Standards Suite For Dynamic Metadata

"The recently published SMPTE ST 2094 suite of documents defines metadata for use in color volume transforms of content. The metadata are intended for transforming high dynamic range (HDR) and wide color gamut (WCG) image essence for presentation on a display having a smaller color volume than that of the mastering display. The metadata are content-dependent and can vary scene by scene or image by image.

This webcast covers motivations for developing this standard, an overview of its various parts, some examples, and an outline of workflows using the standard."

post #87 of 457 Old 01-21-2017, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sony also supports all operational HDR formats

Like LG, Sony supports all HDR formats being operational in 2017 (i.e. HDR10, Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG / VP9-PQ YouTube HDR).
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=26

LG also supports the upcoming Technicolor HDR, i.e. an upcoming Dynamic HDR format.
http://01900888.com/forum/465-hi...l#post49682777

post #88 of 457 Old 01-24-2017, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dolby Vision Makes Big Splash at CES 2017
http://01900888.com/dolby-vision...h-at-ces-2017/

"One of the biggest stories at CES 2017 was the inclusion of Dolby Vision high dynamic-range (HDR) capabilities in many TVs and a few UHD Blu-ray players.
HDR10
HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)
Technicolor’s Advanced HDR formats
HDR10 will soon have dynamic metadata as specified in the SMPTE ST.2094 standard

Isn’t this just another format war?

No; just as different audio formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X can be implemented within AVRs and other audio devices, so can various HDR formats coexist within displays and players.

Thus, it doesn’t matter what HDR format a given program uses; a player and display that implements multiple formats can accommodate the content and display it to its best advantage."

[Scott Wilkinson]

post #89 of 457 Old 01-24-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Dolby Vision Makes Big Splash at CES 2017
http://01900888.com/dolby-vision...h-at-ces-2017/
"Vizio also offered Dolby Vision in its Reference, P, and M series last year, and it added HDR10 in a firmware update, but the company was not at CES 2016 or 2017"

Vizio wasn't at CES for 2016 or 2017???

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #90 of 457 Old 01-24-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 3699 Post(s)
Liked: 5717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
"Vizio also offered Dolby Vision in its Reference, P, and M series last year, and it added HDR10 in a firmware update, but the company was not at CES 2016 or 2017"

Vizio wasn't at CES for 2016 or 2017???
Correct. They are a small local TV maker that only sells in one country, after all. Not exactly a world player.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)