View Poll Results: Which HDR Formats will be supported by your next equipment purchase
HDR10 only 2 1.38%
HDR10/HDR10+ 22 15.17%
HDR10/Dolby Vision 58 40.00%
HDR10/HDR10+/Dolby Vision 63 43.45%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #1 of 148 Old 09-01-2017, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Will Samsung and Panasonic succumb to the Dark Side

This will probably take at least five or more years to play out.

I don’t believe that Samsung and Panasonic can prevail in their desire to avoid adapting Dolby Vison. I don’t believe that this a battle like HD DVD vs Blu-ray was (Winner take all).Even when Samsung and Panasonic at some point in the future add Dolby Vision, HDR10+ content will still be produced.

The HD DVD vs Blu-ray dust up was decided by the Big Boys/Powers That Be. I believe that we consumers will have a much bigger impact on the outcome of what the manufactures support for our HDR preferences for 4K Blu-rays and Streaming.I am not including Broadcasting because those choices will be made by the Powers That Be.

“So how come we consumers get to decide the HDR that Samsung and Panasonic supports” you ask? Excellent question.You might have noticed that I did not include Fox Studios in the original axis of evil.(Just kidding).Because we consumers have very little influence on Fox.They have exclusive product and no competition for that product.

Now Samsung and Panasonic are different. They have a lot of competition for their Displays and Players. So the other brands that consumers buy in sufficient quantity will impact their bottom line.Remember “Curved Screens” vs “Flat Screens” was decided by our buying choices. (at least in the US).The most direct and first impact will be on players because their numbers are so small compared to displays..Because HDR10+ is “Open Standard” it will be adopted on the Dolby Vision Players and Displays.I believe that LG has committed itself to supporting all major HDR formats.

I would think that most members would want to take advantage of the dynamic metadata that is on the disks we buy or movies we stream, but this poll will tell the tell.

After your vote please give a little comment on your vote.

Perhaps you are undecided at this time. Since there is no option for "Undecided", just state that in a post. Then once you've decided, cast your vote for your HDR choices.

DanBa likes this.

"Death, where is thy sting"

Life is Tough. Then you get a firmware update!
--Bob

Last edited by StayingSalty; 02-03-2018 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Added Undecided line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 148 Old 09-01-2017, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Arrow Undecided

I voted for HDR10/HDR10+/Dolby Vision. I want to see the best picture that I can on every 4K Blu-ray.
__________________________________________________ ______________

I will keep track of the Total Undecided: 1

If you posted undecided then post when you have made your decision and have voted.

Last edited by StayingSalty; 09-17-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: add undecided
post #3 of 148 Old 09-01-2017, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Then we need 2500 nit OLED panels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 148 Old 09-02-2017, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 863
I voted for HDR10/HDR10+/Dolby Vision, and also more, HEVC HLG HDR/VP9-HLG YouTube HDR/VP9-PQ YouTube HDR/Technicolor HDR (if this later will become operational).
A playback device, TV or audio-video receiver, should be able to playback any content.
It is content that matters most for consumers, not content format.

Consumers should push for universal HDR TV in the same way audio/video receivers have universal support for audio formats (Dolby Digital / DTS / Dolby Atmos / DTS:X / …).
Thus, it doesn’t matter what HDR format a given program uses; a TV that implements all formats can accommodate the content and display it to its best advantage.

Furthermore, coexistence of different HDR formats within a TV is technically possible, because HDR formats are just software (decoding / mapping software) at the TV level and modern TV are compuTV (computer + TV).
http://01900888.com/forum/465-hi...l#post50302361
And software development is much easier and faster on HDR TV’s modern operating systems than on rigid and complex DSP platforms of audio/video receiver.

There is a precedent.
There was a NTSC-PAL-SECAM color system TV war.
http://books.google.fr/books?id=xfI...%20war&f=false

But in the end, we have NTSC/PAL/SECAM multi-system TV, because the TV manufacturer’s business logic is to meet the consumer requirements and to sell TV which allow consumers to be able to take advantage of any content they want.

In France for example, at the beginning of the color TV war, French people were happy with their SECAM TV, which is incompatible with a PAL content or with a NTSC content, like a HDR10 TV is incompatible with a Dolby Vision content streamed on Vudu.
Then there were people who wanted also to enjoy PAL DVD and required PAL/SECAM TV.
Then there were people who wanted also to take advantage of NTSC DVD and required NTSC/PAL/SECAM TV.

Many latest TV for the U.S. market are NTSC/PAL/SECAM multi-system TV like:
. 77" LG OLED77W7P
http://www.displayspecifications.com/fr/model/309e94d
. 75" Sony XBR-75Z9D
http://www.displayspecifications.com/fr/model/977161b
. 75" Samsung QN75Q9F
http://www.displayspecifications.com/fr/model/e648b0a

For the moment, high-end TV manufacturers should commit to support all operational and being standardized (i.e. via committed upgrade) HDR formats.

A Dolby Vision compliant TV can be upgraded to HDR10+: Dolby Vision is currently the most complex HDR format due to its dynamic metadata display adaptation and its 12-bit dual layer architecture. Therefore, if a TV System-on a-Chip is powerful enough to support Dolby Vision, this TV SoC is able to support any other HEVC HDR format.
PatOgg1718 likes this.

Universal audio/video receiver (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, etc.) is achieved.
Universal HDR TV (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG / VP9-PQ YouTube HDR, Dynamic HDR) is required.

Push for universal HDR TV!
post #5 of 148 Old 09-02-2017, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 956
All we actually need are TVs that match the peak nits levels of the grading display and there is then no need for any metadata...

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #6 of 148 Old 09-03-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
All we actually need are TVs that match the peak nits levels of the grading display and there is then no need for any metadata...

Steve
Mastering displays will always exceed the capability of home displays, right?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
PatOgg1718 likes this.
post #7 of 148 Old 09-04-2017, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Mastering displays will always exceed the capability of home displays, right?
No, there is no reason to assume that.
Especially as a very high percentage of HDR material is mastered on 1000 nit displays, and many home TVs can already better that.

Steve
mrtickleuk likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #8 of 148 Old 09-04-2017, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, there is no reason to assume that.
Especially as a very high percentage of HDR material is mastered on 1000 nit displays, and many home TVs can already better that.

Steve
There are many graded on a 4000 nit mastering display.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 148 Old 09-04-2017, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

True, but not that high a percentage.
And home TVs will match that in the near future.
(As both use the same technology there is no reason for them to not match peak luma capabilities.)

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #10 of 148 Old 09-04-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
True, but not that high a percentage.
And home TVs will match that in the near future.
(As both use the same technology there is no reason for them to not match peak luma capabilities.)

Steve
So how does the display know to just output 3000 nits instead of to peak, does grading a film go back to being similar to SDR?

post #11 of 148 Old 09-04-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

PQ is an absolute standard.
So the material defines what the peak is - no metadata needed.
If the display can go higher it will just 'stop' at the peak of the source footage.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #12 of 148 Old 09-06-2017, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Exclamation Didn't Think There Was An HDR TV Format War? There Is Now

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#5f96a31914da

“Part of this situation holds true with HDR10+, of course. Like Dolby Vision, the extra scene by scene data introduced by HDR10+ sits on top of an HDR10 core that people will still be able to watch if their TV or 4K Blu-ray player doesn’t support HDR10+. That, though, is where the similarities between the Dolby Vision/HDR10 and Dolby Vision/HDR10+ situations end, leaving us staring at four key reasons why a new format war really is now underway.

1 - The expansion at IFA of HDR10+ beyond just being ‘a Samsung thing’ instantly shifts the HDR goalposts to a place where I believe the HDR10 industry standard will soon no longer be seen as adequate.
Following the IFA announcements, pretty much every hardware and film studio has now professed support for one dynamic metadata HDR format or the other, tacitly recognizing - and, crucially, demonstrating - the dynamic technology’s ability to deliver a better picture performance than standard HDR10. And once you’ve let that cat out of the bag on an industry-wide scale, there’s no putting it back.

As a result of all these issues, consumers will quickly start to expect ‘dynamic metadata’ HDR as standard. And once they do, the old ‘HDR10 is good enough, Dolby Vision is just a luxury extra’ argument for there being no format war evaporates. Instead people will be faced with a stark choice between two incompatible dynamic HDR formats.

2 - At the time of writing it appears that content creators will only back either Dolby Vision or HDR10+, not both.

Certainly Fox’s willingness to join an actual HDR10+ Alliance makes it look extremely unlikely that it will also support Dolby Vision (even though it has delivered films in the Dolby Cinema format for commercial theaters). Especially as Fox implied at an HDR10+ meeting at IFA that not wanting to pay Dolby its Dolby Vision licensing fee was at least one factor in its decision to support the royalty-free HDR10+ format.

It seems unlikely, too, that any film studio would want to invest the time and, therefore, money in mastering the same film title in two separate dynamic metadata HDR formats.

If Fox does indeed support HDR10+ only when most other studios have previously declared themselves for Dolby Vision, then we will find ourselves in a situation where some films are only available in the HDR10+ dynamic metadata format while others are only available - for now, anyway - in the Dolby Vision dynamic metadata format. And the moment you’ve got films that can only be bought in one video format or another, not both, then you’re firmly into format war territory.

3 - When it comes to 4K Blu-ray, even if a studio wanted to take a neutral stance with regard to dynamic metadata HDR and offer both Dolby Vision and HDR10+, it will likely struggle to actually fit both formats onto a single disc. This was confirmed to me by industry HDR consultant Florian Friedrich at IFA. This issue isn’t being helped by apparent ongoing issues with effectively and efficiently manufacturing ultra high capacity 100GB ‘triple layer’ 4K Blu-ray discs.

4 - If the films studios aren’t likely to make the same movies available in both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, then maybe the hardware makers can provide universal playback on their TVs and 4K Blu-ray players?
Both those formats still died a slow death, unfortunately - partly because, I suspect, even a whiff of a format war, however short-lived, can decimate a technology’s chances. But yep, if all the TVs and 4K Blu-ray players at this January’s CES offer support for both Dolby Vision and HDR10+, then great; the AV industry will at least have done its best to assuage consumer concerns.
Sadly, though, I don’t see this happening. It’s possible one or two TV brands might take a universal HDR playback approach, but it seems extremely unlikely that every brand will be so open minded.
For starters, Samsung has essentially created the royalty-free HDR10+ platform in direct opposition to Dolby Vision, so that its own AV products and those of other similarly minded brands can provide dynamic metadata HDR support without having to pay Dolby for the privilege. Going to such lengths to avoid paying Dolby a buck makes it almost inconceivable that Samsung will add Dolby Vision support to its TVs and 4K Blu-ray players any time soon.

In other words, the resistance of two of the TV world’s biggest brands to Dolby Vision isn’t purely financial; it seems to be philosophical as well.

Of course, it’s always possible that Panasonic and Samsung will do a U-turn and add Dolby Vision in future TV hardware generations if it looks like not supporting Dolby’s format is really hitting their sales. But I think they’ll give themselves a pretty long run at the HDR10+ only route before making such a pluralistic move.

The issue of firmware updates is also an element in the new HDR format war. Florian Friedrich and Samsung both confirmed that while it’s technically possible to firmware update some current TVs for HDR10+, only a few models will have enough ‘brain power’ to handle it. For instance, while all of Samsung’s 2017 and most if not all of its 2016 HDR TVs will support HDR10+, the HDR10+ update can only be applied to Panasonic’s ‘4K Pro’ models - essentially its EX750 LCD TVs and its EZ950 and EZ1000 OLEDs. And nobody has a clue yet about whether HDR10+ can be added to other TV brands via firmware.”

Thus this poll. Also interesting about the difficulties of Dolby Vision and HDR10+ being on the same disk.
post #13 of 148 Old 09-16-2017, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up Support for both Dolby Vision and HDR10+

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwgeeks/article/Colorfront-Ships-Transkoder-2017-And-New-Deployments-Reinforce-Market-leading-Reputation-20170914

Colorfront Ships Transkoder 2017 And New Deployments Reinforce Market-leading Reputation

Amazon, Samsung & Panasonic: Colorfront is working closely with Amazon, Samsung and Panasonic to ensure the readiness of Dynamic Tone Mapping, with dynamic metadata, for the new HDR10+ standard. Customers are already using Transkoder 2017 to deliver shows to Amazon in HDR10+, guaranteeingunparalleled HDR viewing experiences across the 2017 ranges of Samsung and Panasonic UHD TVs.
Dolby Vision & Dolby Cinema: Colorfront Transkoder was certified by Dolby Laboratories for the creation of Dolby Atmos Digital Cinema Packages (DCPs) in 2015. Now, Transkoder has additionally been certified for Dolby Vision Mastering and Mezzanine packaging and playback of UHD, HDR and Wide Color Gamut (WCG) content.

Transkoder supports Dolby Vision's 10,000 nits peak brightness target, 12-bit color depth and Rec.2020 color space standards. Via integrated Dolby Vision processing Transkoder can preview mapping content with light level metadata to a given reference display. It can also drive an external Dolby Content Mapping Unit (CMU), calculate the required light level statistics, and render and playback Dolby UHD IMF mezzanine format with per-frame metadata.

--Bob
post #14 of 148 Old 09-16-2017, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 343
At this point, I don't even care. Even as all this was playing out, I decided to buy a 1080p SDR projector. I expect to replace my projector in 7-10 years. I may replace my TVs with 4K HDR models when they die, but no rush right now. If they last another 5 years, then great! Bucks saved.

My main concern now is audio tracks. I value Dolby Atmos more than I value HDR, even though I see the great benefits HDR can provide. So I do have a UHD Blu-ray player, but the only reason for it is so that I can get Dolby Atmos.

Furthermore, I don't give a chit about HDMI 2.1, cuz well I just upgraded my two main receivers to HDMI 2.0a models with Dolby Atmos. I am not going to replace these any time soon. Probably not for over a decade. I keep my stuff a long time when possible. My previous receivers didn't even do TrueHD.

If I really had to choose, it would be HDR10 & Dolby Vision, just because the streaming sites seem to be supporting those. And in fact, at one point I said I wouldn't buy any new hardware until it supported both of those, but in the end I decided it was just a waste of time to fret about it and I bought a display device with neither, and a Blu-ray player with just HDR10... the latter part I don't use anyway.

---

BTW, I am usually the earliest or else 2nd earliest adopter of anyone I know personally when it comes to this stuff. That means I'm probably the 1% for AV stuff in my circle of acquaintainces, family, and friends. What does that say about this market?

---

I will add that much of this HDR implementation is really annoying me. Correct HDR to SDR downsampling is something I think that should have been built into the standard right from the outset, but it wasn't. Furthermore, the complexity that they have introduced with regards to DRM and audio support is a real turnoff.

Let me tell you some of the problems I've run into with my SDR 1080p display devices.

1) With 1080p Blu-ray discs, many studios refuse to put Dolby Atmos onto the discs, really for no good reason except for marketing.
2) So, to get Dolby Atmos you need to spend more and get a UHD disc in a UHD player, but the annoying part is that HDR to SDR downconversion can be a total mess. For my first UHD player all the colours were washed out and frankly it was not calibratable for us mere mortals so I had to return it. I ended up getting a Panasonic that does a good job of it... but still not as good in some cases as just buying the appropriate 1080p Blu-ray disc... which doesn't have the Dolby Atmos track.
3) Netflix on these UHD players is often borked by the HDCP 2.2 handshaking. On both UHD players I've owned, I could NOT watch Netflix at all. Not even at 1080p. The app refuses to launch, even for 1080p SDR playback. I actually had to go out and buy an HDCP 2.2 defeater just to be able to watch Netflix 1080p with h.264 SDR. No, I don't even get 4K h.265 HEVC downsampled to 1080p, just the usual 1080p SDR streams, despite the fact Netflix on these units demands HDCP 2.2.

No wonder mainstream consumers are confused.
larrimore, Erod and Bplaser like this.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 09-16-2017 at 08:55 PM.
post #15 of 148 Old 09-16-2017, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like you are undecided at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
...but in the end I decided it was just a waste of time to fret about it and I bought a display device with neither...

No wonder mainstream consumers are confused.

4K is certainly a can of worms at this time.
Can I count you as undecided as far as the poll goes?

--Bob
post #16 of 148 Old 09-16-2017, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingSalty View Post
4K is certainly a can of worms at this time.
Can I count you as undecided as far as the poll goes?
Well, my next purchase probably would HDR10 and Dolby Vision, if I were to buy soon, but considering the above, that next purchase could be 5 years from now.
post #17 of 148 Old 09-16-2017, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Well, my next purchase probably would HDR10 and Dolby Vision, if I were to buy soon, but considering the above, that next purchase could be 5 years from now.

Well, I will count you as undecided as of this time. In 5 years, hopefully your main choice would be HDR10/HDR10+/Dolby Vision. I believe by that time most manufactures will support all three. I think that there will always be HDR10+ and Dolby Vision streaming content. A small possibility that 4K discs will only be Dolby Vision though.

--Bob
post #18 of 148 Old 09-22-2017, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

What is HDR10+? Samsung and Amazon are trying to win the TV war

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/what-is-hdr10-3294683

Quote:
In short, it’s currently impossible to predict with any certainty how the new HDR format war is going to pan out. Though my personal hunch is that some TVs, at least, will start supporting all types of HDR – and that these may be rewarded with persuasively handsome sales figures.
DanBa likes this.

--Bob
post #19 of 148 Old 09-25-2017, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Looks like Samsung or Panasonic will never need to officially "join the dark side." Samsung are some slick MFers.

Quote:
Ericsson also showed its Intelligent Tone Mapping technology which can convert between all the different flavours of HDR, in production, in transmission or in the viewer's home. We also heard the intriguing comment that "the advantage of HDR10+ is that it's not difficult to take the metadata from Dolby Vision and interpret it to HDR10+".
http://www.displaydaily.com/article...ym-soup-at-ibc

Samsung getting closer to building that universal HDR compliant TV that @DanBa has been hoping for.
post #20 of 148 Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
I voted for all three systems which seems the most prudent at this time. Future proofing at least partially.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #21 of 148 Old 09-26-2017, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Exclamation Not so fast, let’s see HDR10+ on disks first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineproduct View Post
Looks like Samsung or Panasonic will never need to officially "join the dark side." Samsung are some slick MFers.
Quote:
Samsung getting closer to building that universal HDR compliant TV that @DanBa has been hoping for.
If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his arse when he hopped.

--Bob
post #22 of 148 Old 09-26-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his arse when he hopped.
We already have numerous HDR10+ capable discs, thanks to Ericsson's ITM technology. Remember, all DV discs can be played in HDR10+ thanks to the aforementioned technology.
post #23 of 148 Old 09-26-2017, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 41
So basically you'll be able to buy a little Ericsson ITM box that will transcode dolby vision to HDR10+.

This is a nice feature to implement inside an AV receiver.
post #24 of 148 Old 10-06-2017, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Dolby's New Dynamic for HDR

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/high-def/dolbys-new-dynamic-hdr-40830
Quote:
“The great thing about Dolby Vision is it’s built to not only take advantage of the best today'sconsumer technology has to offer, but the best we will be able get in the years to come,” said Adam Gregorich, co-owner/editor at enthusiast site Home Theater Forum. “I feel strongly enough about the benefits over HDR10 that Dolby Vision support was a requirement for my 4K hardware purchases this past year.”

Quote:
Other companies have taken notice of the attraction of enhanced HDR. Aug. 28 20th Century Fox,Panasonic Corp. and Samsung Electronics announced an open, royalty-free dynamicmetadata platform tentatively called HDR10+. The three companies plan to form alicensing entity that will begin licensing the HDR10+ platform in January 2018.The entity plans to license the metadata to content companies, UHD TVs, Blu-rayDisc players/recorders and set-top box manufacturers, as well as SoC vendors —royalty-free with only a nominal administrative fee.

--Bob
post #25 of 148 Old 10-07-2017, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

At this time this is just Fairies and Unicorns

Quote:
We already have numerous HDR10+ capable discs, thanks to Ericsson's ITM technology. Remember, all DV discs can be played in HDR10+ thanks to the aforementioned technology.
At this time this is just Fairies and Unicorns. We will assume that it is technically feasible to convert this metadata.

This HDR10+ would be Dolby Vision Lite:

1. Dolby Vision tone maps based on the capabilities of the display.

2. HDR10+ would use the tone map of the display.

3. No indication of the 12 bit vs 10 bit and 4.2.2 vs 4.2.0 problem is included.

How are Samsung and Panasonic going to market this?

1. They can’t say this is Dolby Vision Lite.

2. They can’t say it is almost as good as Dolby Vision.

3. Their advertisement is going to be all in on how great HDR10+ is and why as a consumer you need it.

How is Dolby Vision legally reacting to this?

1. If there are any patent violations then Dolby’s lawyers will be active.

2. Certainly no manufacture could use the Dolby Vision logo on any of their boxes, equipment or advertisement.

Samsung and Panasonic have boxed themselves into a corner with “Dynamic Metadata” makes a difference.

Even if the “word”spreads that this is a form of Dolby Vision, why would the consumer settle for“almost as good” or “Dolby Vision Lite” when they can buy the real deal?

--Bob
post #26 of 148 Old 10-07-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At this time this is just Fairies and Unicorns. We will assume that it is technically feasible to convert this metadata.

This HDR10+ would be Dolby Vision Lite:

1. Dolby Vision tone maps based on the capabilities of the display.

2. HDR10+ would use the tone map of the display.

3. No indication of the 12 bit vs 10 bit and 4.2.2 vs 4.2.0 problem is included.

How are Samsung and Panasonic going to market this?

1. They can’t say this is Dolby Vision Lite.

2. They can’t say it is almost as good as Dolby Vision.

3. Their advertisement is going to be all in on how great HDR10+ is and why as a consumer you need it.

How is Dolby Vision legally reacting to this?

1. If there are any patent violations then Dolby’s lawyers will be active.

2. Certainly no manufacture could use the Dolby Vision logo on any of their boxes, equipment or advertisement.

Samsung and Panasonic have boxed themselves into a corner with “Dynamic Metadata” makes a difference.

Even if the “word”spreads that this is a form of Dolby Vision, why would the consumer settle for“almost as good” or “Dolby Vision Lite” when they can buy the real deal?
Samsung will do what they have always done, market tech with their on specific title, like Samsung Vision HDR.

post #27 of 148 Old 10-07-2017, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The whole point of 10+ is to address the issues with mapping down to displays that have peak luminance well below the graded value. Static metadata does not allow for a scene based tone mapping to lesser HDR displays.
post #28 of 148 Old 10-13-2017, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

HDD First Look: LG OLED TV Cinema House Powered by Dolby

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/LG/OLED/4K/Dolby_Vision/Dolby_Atmos/Netflix/stranger-things/hdd-first-look-lg-oled-tv-cinema-house-powered-by-dolby/40081

Quote:
And beyond theviewer side of things, the panel also offered some insights into the colorgrading process for Dolby Vision HDR , elaborating on the added technical and creative benefits of the wider gamut of colors and contrast that come with the format. To this point, Rob Caroll addressed a common misconception that HDR issupposed to create a radically brighter picture all the time. Instead, he stressed that Dolby Vision is more about enabling a greater range with more intensity meant for only the brightest highlights and darkest shadows of an image. As a whole, the average scene brightness of HDR content should actually be more orless on par with the average scene brightness of SDR content -- it's just that HDR allows for the brightness to kick up considerably when something specificon screen -- like a flame -- calls for it.

Quote:
On future display advancements, the panel also spoke about the possibilities of displays withhigher nit performance and the full Rec. 2020 color gamut. And though they admitted that the appreciable difference between P3 and Rec. 2020 will be less than between Rec. 709 and P3, they still feel that the added range will be able to yield benefits for certain types of content. Specifically, they used animation, fantasy and sci-fi films that feature deliberately unreal and exaggerated worlds as an example of an instance where the added gamut could come in handy.

I would think that this applies to HDR10 and HDR10+ also. Although I believe that all delivered forms of content, within 5 years or so, will have a type of dynamic metadata.

--Bob
post #29 of 148 Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilgihan View Post
The whole point of 10+ is to address the issues with mapping down to displays that have peak luminance well below the graded value. Static metadata does not allow for a scene based tone mapping to lesser HDR displays.
What's concerning, is some don't realize. This applies to every HDR display currently available. There is enough 4000 nit range graded content to justify it.

post #30 of 148 Old 10-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
What's concerning, is some don't realize. This applies to every HDR display currently available. There is enough 4000 nit range graded content to justify it.

Most HDR10 content is graded to 1000 (every title on UHD BD is required to have an HDR 10 grade in the spec) nits and he pulsar is 4000 nits only in HD resolution. The majority of HDR displays on the market can barely reach 800 nits so dynamic tone mapping in the HDR10 space seems to be a necessity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)