Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-25-2018, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Luminance (target Nits) on Oppo 203 for Vizio M70-D3

Seeking input from users of the Oppo UDP203 player. Just got mine, and from what I have been able to gather from research, the target nit setting is for HDR to SDR conversion. However, Vizio advertises peak luminance of the M70-D3 to be 420 (which is a bit disappointing for an HDR capable TV when considering that base HDR-10 is encoded to 1000 Nits).
So as I understand it, setting the luminance setting on the Oppo to higher than 420 could result in clipping of highlights on the display... Do I have this right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-25-2018, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrinder View Post
Seeking input from users of the Oppo UDP203 player. Just got mine, and from what I have been able to gather from research, the target nit setting is for HDR to SDR conversion. However, Vizio advertises peak luminance of the M70-D3 to be 420 (which is a bit disappointing for an HDR capable TV when considering that base HDR-10 is encoded to 1000 Nits).
So as I understand it, setting the luminance setting on the Oppo to higher than 420 could result in clipping of highlights on the display... Do I have this right?
Is there a description and guidance from Oppo on how to set it?

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
MarkAudio-SOTA, RIVA Audio
post #3 of 4 Old 05-29-2018, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have learned that this is only for HDR --> SDR conversion, so doesn't impact HDR sources. In fact, the option gets grayed out when playing an HDR disk. I'm still not clear on what exactly this means - playing non-HDR disks (like standard blu rays), or connecting the player to a non-HDR capable display? I'm thinking it's the latter...

Vizio M70-D3 | Marantz AV7702mkII | ARCAM P1000 | AppleTV 4K | Roku4 | OPPO UDP-203 | Tannoy Definition DC10A/DC8/DC6LCR | SVS SB2000 | Panamax M5300-PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-08-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Only just found this, so sorry for the late response.

The slide is a variable compensation control for different display brightness. There is no hard rule for where it needs to go as it is meant to be used to optimize your display in your set up. An LED back lit TV might allow it to be pushed up to 1000nits where a projector wants it closer to 300.

Default is 300, but that does not mean it limits to just 300 nits. If it did, then the range should be going well past 1600nits.

From my findings, 250 actually worked the best on most HDR-10 titles with my projector.

The lower you go, the harder the tone mapping has to work and as a result, you may experience white crush and a flash where the crushed detail is briefly visible. I found this to be the most annoying aspect and the only "cure" is to raise contrast on the display, and readjust this control. It never fully solves the issue though as different studios master at different levels and it almost seems to be a title by title adjustment.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)