Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 06-04-2018, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Is Dolby Vision worth chasing right now?

Hello all,
I recently upgraded to 4k. I picked up a Sony 65XBRZ9D and it's wonderful in many ways. I have the latest firmware and have the ability to play Dolby Vision.
My system however consists of a Pioneer Elite SC-99 which can only pass HDR and not Dolby Vision. I would have to upgrade my receiver in order to pass Dolby Vision.
I'm having a miserable time finding a high quality Dolby Vision Blu ray player since Oppo is gone, Cambridge is out of stock and the Sony X700 is not for me. I prefer a higher end player like a Oppo 203 or something like that.
I have for sources right now is a Apple TV 4k and a Xbox One X. HDR looks killer and I'm completely cool with it but knowing Dolby Vision is technically a better format, I wouldn't mind checking it out.
Streaming doesn't look as good as Blu Ray 4k Disc's which I have to use my Xbox to watch them and it's limited to HDR.

I'm willing to go all in if it's worth the investment now.

It seems like the amount of higher quality 4k Blu ray players are so hard to come by. In my opinion it's the best overall way to watch a 4k Movie. I have netflix and have watched Dolby Vision on it as I also setup ARC out of my TV and also setup the Netflix app. I much prefer using the Apple TV 4k for Netflix but I wanted to check out Dolby Vision which they have some. Honestly streaming HDR or Dolby Vision I don't see any difference. I haven't seen the same program in both formats to see if Dolby Vision streaming looks better then HDR. Anyone do a HDR vs Dolby Vision streaming or Disc? Curious what your finding are.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-04-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 434
We are that 1% crowd that is transfixed by all things AV related. But honestly, no, it's not worth any of this.

It's really starting to piss me off, too. I feel we're in danger of losing our hobbies because of the sloppy and petty state of the industry.

The whole HDR10 versus Dolby Vision, plus the Atmos/DTS:X/Aura battles, not to mention that we're getting 8K shoved our way soon with HDMI 2.1 cables despite the fact that television is still in 720p/1080i and 4K players cost more than most will spend.

Oppo is already out of the game, and there's talk that the AVR market is starting to severely downscale their R&D in favor of sound bars only.

We're on the cusp of a streaming-only world with soundbars, MP3 sound, and virtual reality headsets.

Overreaction rant over.
srkmish, meles, cacophonix and 5 others like this.

Video: JVC rs620 projector, Stewart 130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem 60 preamp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp, NAD ci-940 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights

Last edited by Erod; 06-04-2018 at 09:41 AM.
post #3 of 33 Old 06-04-2018, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I hear yeah,
It seems most companies put out cheap players that I can't stand. Honestly even my Z9D has flaws and it's supposed to be the best overall TV out there right now. I feel in many ways my Elite Kuro was a better TV for what it does. Yeah 4K looks awesome but everything else looks ok at best to me. I feel my Kuro smokes the Z9D for anything 1080p or under.

I have watched the industry dwindle down over the last decade and not only does it piss me off but it hurts my feelings. Companies like B&K went under which I used up to the AVR507. I didn't grab the AVR707 due to a few issues but what a great piece otherwise it was.
Pioneer Stopped making TV's, They also basically stopped making reference quality players. Sony Stopped making separates , the list goes on and on with all the Hi Fi shops closing over the last Decade. It all started with Nobody beats the Wiz and then it was one after the other.

I want a nice 4k Blu ray player but I'm not gonna hold by breath. I guess the Xbox One will have to do for awhile or ever depending on what the market brings.
I will give up on this hobby if receivers go away and sounders become the norm. Streaming has got a lot better but I still prefer the higher quality of a disc. I enjoy the whole experince.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 06-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Is Dolby Vision worth chasing right now? Well that is really a subjective question isn't it. Is it worth chasing for YOU? I don't know, are you one of those people who wants to have the best of the best? If the answer to that question is yes, then it may very well be worth it. From a technical standpoint Dolby Vision is better than HDR10 from what I have seen. My understanding is that the technology, like the logarithms, software or hardware is better and more complicated. And many have said it does indeed look better, or does a better job with dynamic range. Is it something the average person could see, not sure but my guess would be no.

Is Dolby Vision something the average person should chase, or pay a premium for? I would say no, especially if you are on a budget. Nor would be HDR in general or even 4K monitors for that matter. Now if you can get this technology with a product you are already looking at that is in your budget, or you can get it for just a little bit more then sure, why not. Nothing wrong with future proofing in my eyes. I wouldn't pay a lot more for it or spend a huge amount of time looking for and custom ordering those products though.

The reason I say this is because for most people they will never notice the difference while actually watching a movie or a tv program. Does this technology and/or better equipment and having your tv calibrated and set up properly make a difference and look better? Of course it does, it would be stupid to say it doesn't. We have all seen it for ourselves. But lets be honest, during a good movie that your engaged in your eyes or brain probably will not notice it. Now if you pull yourself out of the movie watching experience and consciously look for those differences then yes someone that knows what they are looking for will see it. Then again that kind of ruins the movie watching experience in my opinion.

4K displays are a good example. When I first saw a 4K tv in a showroom I was blown a way. It was so bright and clear, it almost looked 3D. Turns out that didn't have anything to do with the resolution. It was the fact that they were using True Motion or whatever and the refresh rate was cranked way up. And the other settings were all jacked up to make it more vivid and have more punch. The reality is when you get one home, set up properly and watch a 24hz movie on it there isn't a big difference, if any at all for some people. At least not on a 55 inch tv at distances of 8 feet and beyond. Now on a really big screen like a projector or something and you are sitting fairly close then yes, it makes a difference.

I have 4 tvs in my house. A 55 inch 4K tv with HDR and a 4K UHD blu ray player. Then we have a 720p 42 inch plasma, another 55 inch tv that is 1080P and a 21 inch lcd tv in the kitchen. And the 55 inch 1080P tv is a fairly cheap model with a crappy contrast ratio that won't even produce true or decent blacks. I can honestly tell you that on any of the larger tvs when watching a movie I like I do not enjoy it any less. Now the 21 inch tv I can't stand and would just as soon not even turn it on. My mom likes it though. My point here is that when you are actually engrossed in a movie or good tv program all this other stuff just goes away and your brain for the most part just ignores it. Does my 4K tv with a 4K blu ray look better, of course it does, and I can notice it. No one else in the house can though, and 10 minutes into the movie I don't either.

And yes, I understand most of the people on this site are not average or normal consumers. However there are a lot of "normal" people that visit this site and others like it looking for information. I just wouldn't feel right if I led those people into believe they had to spend thousands of dollars to get technology or equipment that simply would not matter to them in the end. Now if you want to and can afford it, then heck ya, go for it. And this is a great place to get that kind of advice and honest opinions on it. But I am talking about the average person that wants to run to Best Buy and get a nice tv, take it home turn it on and stream netflix or something. Maybe get a decent a blu ray player and watch some movies.
srkmish, AmerCa, toddwz and 3 others like this.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-05-2018, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Check out this video that Vincent of HDTVTest did about 8 months ago using an LG OLED. It compares Dolby Vision to HDR10. It will give you an idea of what to expect. Note that unfortunately this is not a 4k video so what you see will not match real life, however you can still compare the two. The difference is subtle. Is it worth it? Well that depends on your budget and viewing preferences.

Sony XBR-65A8F
Denon X1400, ATV 4K, HTPC
Roku Premiere+, Panasonic UB820, Sony x700
post #6 of 33 Old 06-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post
The question would be IMHO how many movies/shows do you want to watch that provide a 4k/HDR/DV experience so much better that you need those capabilities right now.

I would bet that there are not many.

Having the latest and greatest is nice, but if you are contemplating USD4,500 OLED sets and USD1,000 players, how much each show/movie viewing will cost you?
Mantis10 likes this.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post
Hello all,
I recently upgraded to 4k. I picked up a Sony 65XBRZ9D and it's wonderful in many ways. I have the latest firmware and have the ability to play Dolby Vision.

It seems like the amount of higher quality 4k Blu ray players are so hard to come by. In my opinion it's the best overall way to watch a 4k Movie. I have netflix and have watched Dolby Vision on it as I also setup ARC out of my TV and also setup the Netflix app. I much prefer using the Apple TV 4k for Netflix but I wanted to check out Dolby Vision which they have some. Honestly streaming HDR or Dolby Vision I don't see any difference. I haven't seen the same program in both formats to see if Dolby Vision streaming looks better then HDR. Anyone do a HDR vs Dolby Vision streaming or Disc? Curious what your finding are.

Thanks everyone.
Hi, HDR10 is really pretty good, but I do think that in general DV looks better to me, both streaming on on blu-ray disks. Note I have been streaming DV for some time now, but only had the ability to play blu-ray disks in DV for a few days (the Sony X700 blu-ray player does Sony TV DV now, and Oppo should have DV to Sony TVs in a few days). The price of the Sony X700 is only $200, so you could get one of those and see if you liked it. I think it does a great job with DV on the 3 or 4 movies I have watched on it so far.

So, for me it is worth doing it. Given the relatively low cost of trying the Sony X700, you might give it a go and see.

Best,
Mark
Mantis10 and meles like this.

Sony XBR-A1E 77"; OPPO UDP-205; Sony UBP-X700; Apple TV 4K; miniDSP 2x4 HD; McIntosh MX122; McIntosh C50; McIntosh MEN220; McIntosh MC302; Mark Levinson No533H; Rotel RMB-1585; ATMOS 5.2.4: Wilson Maxx2[L/R]; Wilson Sophia2[SL/SR]; Wilson Watch Center[C]; Dual SVS SB16U [SW]; Revel C763[Top F & Top R pairs]. Sennheiser HD650; Clearaudio Concept Turntable; Auralic Vega; Sonore Rendu; Synology DS713+. And a mishmash basement 7.1 system.
post #8 of 33 Old 06-06-2018, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L Mohr View Post
Is Dolby Vision worth chasing right now? Well that is really a subjective question isn't it. Is it worth chasing for YOU? I don't know, are you one of those people who wants to have the best of the best? If the answer to that question is yes, then it may very well be worth it. From a technical standpoint Dolby Vision is better than HDR10 from what I have seen. My understanding is that the technology, like the logarithms, software or hardware is better and more complicated. And many have said it does indeed look better, or does a better job with dynamic range. Is it something the average person could see, not sure but my guess would be no.

Is Dolby Vision something the average person should chase, or pay a premium for? I would say no, especially if you are on a budget. Nor would be HDR in general or even 4K monitors for that matter. Now if you can get this technology with a product you are already looking at that is in your budget, or you can get it for just a little bit more then sure, why not. Nothing wrong with future proofing in my eyes. I wouldn't pay a lot more for it or spend a huge amount of time looking for and custom ordering those products though.

The reason I say this is because for most people they will never notice the difference while actually watching a movie or a tv program. Does this technology and/or better equipment and having your tv calibrated and set up properly make a difference and look better? Of course it does, it would be stupid to say it doesn't. We have all seen it for ourselves. But lets be honest, during a good movie that your engaged in your eyes or brain probably will not notice it. Now if you pull yourself out of the movie watching experience and consciously look for those differences then yes someone that knows what they are looking for will see it. Then again that kind of ruins the movie watching experience in my opinion.

4K displays are a good example. When I first saw a 4K tv in a showroom I was blown a way. It was so bright and clear, it almost looked 3D. Turns out that didn't have anything to do with the resolution. It was the fact that they were using True Motion or whatever and the refresh rate was cranked way up. And the other settings were all jacked up to make it more vivid and have more punch. The reality is when you get one home, set up properly and watch a 24hz movie on it there isn't a big difference, if any at all for some people. At least not on a 55 inch tv at distances of 8 feet and beyond. Now on a really big screen like a projector or something and you are sitting fairly close then yes, it makes a difference.

I have 4 tvs in my house. A 55 inch 4K tv with HDR and a 4K UHD blu ray player. Then we have a 720p 42 inch plasma, another 55 inch tv that is 1080P and a 21 inch lcd tv in the kitchen. And the 55 inch 1080P tv is a fairly cheap model with a crappy contrast ratio that won't even produce true or decent blacks. I can honestly tell you that on any of the larger tvs when watching a movie I like I do not enjoy it any less. Now the 21 inch tv I can't stand and would just as soon not even turn it on. My mom likes it though. My point here is that when you are actually engrossed in a movie or good tv program all this other stuff just goes away and your brain for the most part just ignores it. Does my 4K tv with a 4K blu ray look better, of course it does, and I can notice it. No one else in the house can though, and 10 minutes into the movie I don't either.

And yes, I understand most of the people on this site are not average or normal consumers. However there are a lot of "normal" people that visit this site and others like it looking for information. I just wouldn't feel right if I led those people into believe they had to spend thousands of dollars to get technology or equipment that simply would not matter to them in the end. Now if you want to and can afford it, then heck ya, go for it. And this is a great place to get that kind of advice and honest opinions on it. But I am talking about the average person that wants to run to Best Buy and get a nice tv, take it home turn it on and stream netflix or something. Maybe get a decent a blu ray player and watch some movies.
I'm finding it hard to find a Blu ray player of good quality to play Dolby Vision. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels with Oppo being on the waiting lists.
post #9 of 33 Old 06-06-2018, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
Check out this video that Vincent of HDTVTest did about 8 months ago using an LG OLED. It compares Dolby Vision to HDR10. It will give you an idea of what to expect. Note that unfortunately this is not a 4k video so what you see will not match real life, however you can still compare the two. The difference is subtle. Is it worth it? Well that depends on your budget and viewing preferences.

http://youtu.be/voePq29-U6M
Thanks I watched that as I follow him on youtube. he's corny but seems very good at his craft.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-06-2018, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post

http://youtu.be/voePq29-U6M
Actually using a LG OLED to compare HDR10 and DV is a flawed concept since LG OLEDs do tone mapping differently depending on signal. So 1000nit HDR10 will look completely different when compared to 4000nit HDR10 and/or DV. One also needs to verify that the DV version came from the same source and people as the HDR10 version. That is not always equal
post #11 of 33 Old 06-07-2018, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Dolby Vision is a very future proof. My guess, in a few years, it will look much better than it does now when equipment and content can better take advantage of the format.
StayingSalty likes this.
post #12 of 33 Old 06-07-2018, 09:24 AM

I don't think I could help you with what kind of products to get. Your budget is not anywhere NEAR what mine would be lol. You don't sound like the "average" consumer I was referring to. I think your tv alone cost more than my whole system. Not a bad thing by any means, not your fault I am poor lol.

I re read your original post though it seems your issue seems to be with your receiver/video switching. This is a very simple fix actually. Your tv will do dolby vision and you haven't purchased a blu ray player yet (or your considering getting another one?). Justs simply by pass the receiver. When you get a blu ray player make sure it has two HDMI ports so you can send audio to one device and video to another. At the price point you are shopping in this should be a standard feature I would think. Then run the video directly to your tv and the audio directly to your receiver. Don't run the video through the receiver at all. If you are looking for the best possible picture I would think this is the route you would want to go anyway.

So really all you need to do is find a blu ray player that makes you happy.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-08-2018, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
As someone mentioned, the X700 is only $200 and is a great player, yet it’s not for you but an Xbox which probably has the worst image quality playing 4k HDR movies is?

A dedicated player (minus the super cheap ones) will always display a better picture then Xbox. Even currently Xbox does some weird RGB to hdr conversion which shifts HDR true color (I think even Vincent has a video about it)
meles likes this.
post #14 of 33 Old 06-08-2018, 11:05 AM

I get where he is coming from. He already has the Xbox, and it works. Why spend another 200 on something he probably won't be happy with. He is just waiting until he can find a product that will make him happy and he feels he can trust. I see nothing wrong with that. Just because I own a 80 dollar LG blu ray player doesn't mean I don't understand that it isn't for everyone. If I had a $3,000 tv I certainly wouldn't pair it with a budget blu ray player.

We buy what we enjoy. One of my passions is archery. The last bow I purchased was close to a thousand dollars. I am quite sure I could shoot just as well with a 300 dollar bow. Well I know I can, because I own one but that is not what I wanted.
post #15 of 33 Old 06-08-2018, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I get where he is coming from. He already has the Xbox, and it works. Why spend another 200 on something he probably won't be happy with. He is just waiting until he can find a product that will make him happy and he feels he can trust. I see nothing wrong with that. Just because I own a 80 dollar LG blu ray player doesn't mean I don't understand that it isn't for everyone. If I had a $3,000 tv I certainly wouldn't pair it with a budget blu ray player.

We buy what we enjoy. One of my passions is archery. The last bow I purchased was close to a thousand dollars. I am quite sure I could shoot just as well with a 300 dollar bow. Well I know I can, because I own one but that is not what I wanted.
Oh I completely get it, I wasn’t trying to judge all I was trying to say is if you think the X700 isn’t “good” enough, the Xbox UHD playback is even way worse.

And even a X700 would be a nice upgrade with DV included for only $200 because we don’t know when another extremely high quality player with DV like Oppo will be released.
post #16 of 33 Old 06-11-2018, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
As someone mentioned, the X700 is only $200 and is a great player, yet it’s not for you but an Xbox which probably has the worst image quality playing 4k HDR movies is?

A dedicated player (minus the super cheap ones) will always display a better picture then Xbox. Even currently Xbox does some weird RGB to hdr conversion which shifts HDR true color (I think even Vincent has a video about it)
I got the Xbox One X to game in HDR. it's a 4k Gaming machine that also plays 4k HDR disc's no Dolby Vision support. I'm a long time Xbox live member since the beginning way back when Mechassault was out. So getting the Xbox one X was logical.
I only use it because thats all I got right now.
I may pick up the X700 to try out my 2 Dolby Vision Blu ray movies. I'm hoping that Sony releases a nicer player.
I'm not rich or a snob of any kind. I just have a really bad taste in my mouth with lower end players. Not just the performance alone but reliability. I have seen so many players fail it's out of hand. They are built not to last. I prefer to spend more and not have to get a new one every year or so.
post #17 of 33 Old 06-11-2018, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You got my points spot on. Thank you for that.
I prefer higher end gear in general. I just picked up the Sony Flagship STRZA5000es receiver to replace my Pioneer Elite flagship SC-99 of a few years ago. I upgrade to the Sony due to Dolby Vision support. The Pioneer does not. The newer model does with Pioneer.
I also don't knock anyone who is willing spend $80 on a blu ray player. They make them for that price and if your comfortable with it, why not. We all have places we will spend top dollar to us and other places we will not. I don't buy expensive clothes as I find no value in them. But I like good quality shoes so my feet don't hurt and I don't have to buy new ones all the time. T Shirts I'm completely fine with $3 colored shirts LOL. But when it comes to this hobby I'm will to go up the ladder as far as my budget allows.
There are no high end Blu ray players with Dolby Vision right now. Since Oppo and Cambridge are basically out of the game, no one else is taking on that roll. Denon, Marantz, Sony, Integra, Yamaha and Pioneer Elite in the past have made very nice DVD and Blu ray players. Now seems like Sony is the only one left in the game making players. The last run of 4k players where nice in the X800 or the X1000es which they made those players without the correct chip sets to run Dolby Vison so Sony Rushed out the X700 I guess so we at least had something to use.
Maybe it's to early to be all guns blazing for Dolby Vision. I can stream it on netflix but I don't really see any difference there. I want to check it out on disc as thats the better format.
post #18 of 33 Old 06-11-2018, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
Oh I completely get it, I wasn’t trying to judge all I was trying to say is if you think the X700 isn’t “good” enough, the Xbox UHD playback is even way worse.

And even a X700 would be a nice upgrade with DV included for only $200 because we don’t know when another extremely high quality player with DV like Oppo will be released.
No offense taken my friend. We all have our opinions and I feel everyone can have theirs. We all don't agree on everything so it's cool no matter how you meant what you said.
The x700 does seem like the way to go for now. It's not a lot of money and who knows maybe I'll be fine with it at least until something better comes out.
Thanks for the replies .
post #19 of 33 Old 06-11-2018, 10:46 PM

You are not wrong about the build quality of these blue ray players. They are not made to last. Pretty much nothing with an optical drive anymore seems to be made well. Unless like you said you are buying something more high end. In the last 5 years alone I have had two blu ray players take a dump. Not completely dead, but they don't work well enough that I want to bother using them. I have also gone through three dvd/BD optical drives in my computer. I gave up on that, I didn't even put one in the new computer I built. Not to mention a lot of the blu ray players are so slow to boot up. And kind of noisy. Do blu rays spin at like 10,000 rpm or something lol. And they sound like a 20 year old broken hard drive looking for a file or something. I don't see how a DVD player can be so quiet, yet a blu ray player makes all kinds of noises. And I have numerous friends that have issues with Xboxes as well.

My new 80 dollar LG 4K player is actually pretty fast booting up disks, and not quite as noisy. It does make some noise though, like vibrations and stuff, especially if I have a USB stick in it with a disk spinning. Seriously, how freakin fast do these things spin? You are right though, I honestly don't expect this to last more than a couple of years. That just seems to be what you get now a days with budget players. Used to be you could get a DVD player and the darn thing would last 10 years or more. Heck, I still have a CD player from the late 80's! I was looking at players in the 250 dollar range but the reviews on the lg 875 were really good, like it was better than some of the more expensive ones. And I don't need any apps or wifi or stuff like that in my blu ray player. I have a roku for that. And I have had a lot of devices that had netflix apps and the roku kicks all their butts.

Honestly the best blu ray player I have used is my sony PS3. Fairly quick, not to noisy and the picture is great. And its been chugging along for years. Only down side is they were kind of pricey and I have had to replace the hard drive once. Well twice because I was stupid and got the one without one, it had like 12 gigs of on board ram or something. Was completely useless like that. By the time I updated the OS and tried to play a game it was out of memory lol. Luckily they are not hard to upgrade, just take a normal 2.5 inch hard drive for a laptop. And you can get 1tb drives pretty cheap now a days.
post #20 of 33 Old 06-11-2018, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
If you have a TV that supports Dolby Vision you might as well get a player that supports it as well. The upcoming Panasonic UB820 is slated to have Dolby Vision support, and their players have been reviewed very favorably, many saying they're just as good as the Oppos. It should also have two HDMI outs, one audio only and another audio/video mixed. If your receiver doesn't support Dolby vision just run the audio-only to the receiver and the video HDMI directly to the TV bypassing the receiver.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #21 of 33 Old 06-12-2018, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
If you have a TV that supports Dolby Vision you might as well get a player that supports it as well. The upcoming Panasonic UB820 is slated to have Dolby Vision support, and their players have been reviewed very favorably, many saying they're just as good as the Oppos. It should also have two HDMI outs, one audio only and another audio/video mixed. If your receiver doesn't support Dolby vision just run the audio-only to the receiver and the video HDMI directly to the TV bypassing the receiver.
But will it support the half-arsed Sony DV "Lite" -- a requirement for the OP's TV?
post #22 of 33 Old 06-12-2018, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a Sony Z9D and a Sony STRZA5000es receiver. All High speed Audioquest cable 4k rated. I have a Apple TV 4k Dolby Vision setup and a Xbox One X which is only HDR. I'm just gonna try out the X700 until a better quality player hits the market like this Panasonic UB820. I'm gonna keep my eye out for that. Thanks for sharing that info.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-12-2018, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
But will it support the half-arsed Sony DV "Lite" -- a requirement for the OP's TV?
I guess time will only tell right?
post #24 of 33 Old 06-12-2018, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Is there something wrong with the Sony DV implementation? I'm sure it's something that can be worked out in a future firmware update if so.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #25 of 33 Old 06-13-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Is there something wrong with the Sony DV implementation? I'm sure it's something that can be worked out in a future firmware update if so.
"Wrong with it", I suppose not. But, they elected to use an implementation that forces the player to do all the work. So, if the hardware isn't capable, then, no, it can't be fixed in a firmware update. Plus, they are the only ones, AFAIK, who elected to implement that way. So, there's not exactly motivation for other player manufacturer's to implement it.

IMO, it was an epic fail by them, and as much as I like my Sony set (940E), I'm quite mad about the whole thing -- feels very deceptive to me that they said the unit would support it, then didn't actually make that happen 100%, unless you buy their player. Worse, it's not supported by the more expensive X800 player I already bought, but their cheaper X700 that came out later. To aggravate me further, they won't (or can't) update the X800 to support it, either.

Yeah, so...despite I was pretty sure it was going to be like this going into it and bought the set anyway, Sony has lost me as a customer for the time being over all this. While I'll accept blame for buying a unit I was pretty sure may never get DV, and recognizing that's the price I pay for being an early adopter, it doesn't absolve Sony of their "wrongdoing" (in advertising the set would be DV capable when it's not 100% capable on its own and I'd bet they knew it wouldn't be from release!).
post #26 of 33 Old 06-13-2018, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Honestly the best blu ray player I have used is my sony PS3. Fairly quick, not to noisy and the picture is great. And its been chugging along for years. Only down side is they were kind of pricey and I have had to replace the hard drive once.
I agree that in a lot of ways game consoles are some of the hardiest players out there. I've been running a PS3 for almost a decade. It's one of the reasons I am seriously considering an xbox S or X. The software is continually being improved...of course I don't have a use for DV so this whole debate isn't one I have to go through. I got a Sony 900E, which can't do DV. However, I figured that it'll be 5+ years before enough content is out there, at which point I can upgrade. Also anything with DV will have HDR10, so I'll see some benefits.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #27 of 33 Old 06-19-2018, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 434
So far, after watching a lot of material, there is virtually no difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10. Placebo difference perhaps.

That could change, but so far, it's more gimmick than difference.

Both look great. I like the color depth of HDR and the detail in dark scenes.

Video: JVC rs620 projector, Stewart 130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem 60 preamp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp, NAD ci-940 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #28 of 33 Old 08-18-2018, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
We are that 1% crowd that is transfixed by all things AV related. But honestly, no, it's not worth any of this.

It's really starting to piss me off, too. I feel we're in danger of losing our hobbies because of the sloppy and petty state of the industry.

The whole HDR10 versus Dolby Vision, plus the Atmos/DTS:X/Aura battles, not to mention that we're getting 8K shoved our way soon with HDMI 2.1 cables despite the fact that television is still in 720p/1080i and 4K players cost more than most will spend.

Oppo is already out of the game, and there's talk that the AVR market is starting to severely downscale their R&D in favor of sound bars only.

We're on the cusp of a streaming-only world with soundbars, MP3 sound, and virtual reality headsets.

Overreaction rant over.
It’s almost enough to make me yearn fondly for the days of a simple high quality stereo rig...
post #29 of 33 Old 08-19-2018, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I’m just upgrading my home theatre system . New pre pro,amp and 4K player. I feel as though I’m doing it five years to early lol

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer
post #30 of 33 Old 08-19-2018, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I would go with DV knowing that we the hobbyist won't be satisfied unless we maximize the potential of our gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)