Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-21-2018, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDR brightness on the Samsung Q6FN is abysmal, but wonderful during SDR. Defective?

I recently bought the Samsung Q6FN and I've overall been very happy with it. The only issue is: the HDR doesnt work on this HDR TV. Tomorrow's the last day to return it, so if that needs to be done, I need to find out ASAP

Using the built in Netflix and Plex apps (as well as files from any connected hard drive), the HDR is ridiculously dark. SDR content shows up beautiful and bright, but switch to an HDR show and suddenly everything is at less than 50% brightness. The settings arent changed though — still at full backlight and everything. Even during the Netflix logo on the white background when starting a show, the background is a medium grey (Basically like in the attachment). I've seen people online experiencing this, and the response always seems to be "yeah, your TV actually isnt capable of getting bright enough for HDR", which is absolute bull, because even if I open the TV menu overlay while watching netflix, its at least twice as bright as the video playing. That, and SDR content is BEAUTIFUL on the thing.

In the attachment below, the video in the background is does not get dimmer when opening the menu — thats just how it looks constantly.

The things is though, it's perfectly fine on YouTube, and on my PS4 (and on the retail demo, of course)! HDR in both of those is gorgeous. But I dont know what to do about Netflix and Plex. And I'm assuming since it's happening with files directly off a USB, it's the fault of the TV, and not either of those apps. Should I be returning it? Is this just what HDR looks like? Is this just what HDR looks like on a Samsung, and I'm better off with a different TV?

The 2 other TVs that I was looking at in my price range are the LG SK9500, and the Sony X900E (the F is newer but too expensive). Am I better off with one of these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180919_001459.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	2458402   Click image for larger version

Name:	nf.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2458404  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-21-2018, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 12048 Post(s)
Liked: 11169
Try contrast enhancer and bumping up the gamma.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-22-2018, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Putting both to their max setting do help a bit. But do they have adverse effects on the image? I feel like the benefit of HDR is seeing things "exactly as they were intended". If I then start artificially adding all these post effects to boost the contrast and bump the gamma, is that still how it ~should~ be? Will it crush the whites and blacks? Will bumping the gamma prevent me from getting a "true" black, when there's supposed to be one?

Even with all those things, its still feels a little not-quite-there, in terms of brightness compared to SDR. Watching Blade Runner 2049 for example, I feel like I should expect the neon scenes to really stand out, but they dont.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-22-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtwoK View Post
Putting both to their max setting do help a bit. But do they have adverse effects on the image? I feel like the benefit of HDR is seeing things "exactly as they were intended". If I then start artificially adding all these post effects to boost the contrast and bump the gamma, is that still how it ~should~ be? Will it crush the whites and blacks? Will bumping the gamma prevent me from getting a "true" black, when there's supposed to be one?

Even with all those things, its still feels a little not-quite-there, in terms of brightness compared to SDR. Watching Blade Runner 2049 for example, I feel like I should expect the neon scenes to really stand out, but they dont.

Dynamic contrast will clip some whites in HDR. It's a trade off to having a brighter and punchier image. The Q6 is quite underpowered compared to the other Qled models. Hdr is generally known to be a little dimmer than sdr, except with its highlights. If hdr is your preference in a TV, u could always wait until a better hdr tv comes into your price range. Depending on what country your in and what size u want, the Vizio PQ series provides the brightest hdr picture for the least money.

BTW, Bladerunner 2049 is known to have its hdr purposely restrained.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 847
It's funny because a few weeks ago I was in Walmart and the highest level TV they had was the Q6 and I thought it was very dark, not bright but I figured it was how Walmart had it set up. I was not impressed with it in the least.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #6 of 12 Old 09-22-2018, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

So between the Q6FN that I have, the X900F (or E, depending on price), the LG SK9500, and the Vizio P Series (not quantum), which do you think my best bet might be? The quantum seems good but I'm not including it because it'd be an extra $1000 on top of what I've paid, at least here in Canada.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-22-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
So between the Q6FN that I have, the X900F (or E, depending on price), the LG SK9500, and the Vizio P Series (not quantum), which do you think my best bet might be? The quantum seems good but I'm not including it because it'd be an extra $1000 on top of what I've paid, at least here in Canada.

Canada prices do suck.

For hdr performance, I'd go like this: Vizio PQ, 900F, 900E, Sk9500.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-22-2018, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, where would you slot the regular P Series in that?

Also, considering the $3500 price tag on the quantum, would I not be better off going OLED at that point, or is the quantum better than the OLEDs in that price range?
post #9 of 12 Old 09-22-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
Quote:
Quote:

Also, considering the $3500 price tag on the quantum, would I not be better off going OLED at that point, or is the quantum better than the OLEDs in that price range?

I can't help with your original problem. But I will say you are right to think something is wrong. HDR shouldn't be that much dimmer than SDR.

The P Series and 900F are about equal. The P has better dimming/more dimming zones, and the 900F has better upscaling (if you watch a lot of 720p cable). And between 900E and F, the F has Dolby Vision and the E does not. I'd choose the P series. But I believe all three would be better than your Q6FN.

If you want to step up, the P Quantum is one of the brightest TVs you can buy. If you watch in the daytime or with the lights on a lot of the time, you can't go wrong. If you watch more in dark to pitch black rooms, then the OLED might be preferable.

If you want more opinions, I'd check this thread: http://01900888.com/forum/166-l...cd-thread.html
post #10 of 12 Old 09-22-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Regular Vizio P series is probably just under the 900F. Prices in Canada are definitely criminal.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-04-2018, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 72
HDR is on the whole too dark. It needs to be fixed the way it is on YouTube. Check out YouTube 4K HDR, I'll bet your TV is plenty bright then.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-15-2018, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi,

You need to get it calibrated -either ask for professional calibrator, or invest into meter and software, and do it yourself - requires deeper understanding of calibration process, but this is fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)