Forum Jump: 
 134Likes

post #31 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
i'm about as technically savvy as anyone, but i still have no idea what imax enhanced actually is. seems to be part certification process, part hardware codec, but the hardware doesn't necessarily need to be new (?) and existing products can be "imax enhanced". complete mess and at the very least a really poor message if you ask me

edit: and actually, i'm not even certain it's a new set of hardware codecs. could just be a combination of existing codecs according to their site material. you have hdr10+? you have dts:x? you have 10 or more speakers and a receiver capable of >120wpc? you have a 4k display that is 65" or larger? ok then you are imax enhanced. congratulations, here's our logo to add to the list on the box
Archibald1 likes this.

---talbain---

Last edited by talbain; 10-12-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Let say on owns a A9F, Sony's new OLED thats IMAX enhanced. Sony doesn't do HDR10+ so whats the advantage? I smell a marketing gimmick. Im still looking for what makes this different that non IMAX enhanced 4K UHD titles.
post #33 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4114 Post(s)
Liked: 2291
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post
i'm about as technically savvy as anyone, but i still have no idea what imax enhanced actually is. seems to be part certification process, part hardware codec, but the hardware doesn't necessarily need to be new (?) and existing products can be "imax enhanced". complete mess and at the very least a really poor message if you ask me

edit: and actually, i'm not even certain it's a new set of hardware codecs. could just be a combination of existing codecs according to their site material. you have hdr10+? you have dts:x? you have a 4k display that is 65" or larger? ok then you are imax enhanced
IMAX re-masters whatever is given to them by the studios. DTS remixes the audio tracks using their 11.1 (+1?) DTS: X format to something emulating a 12-track theatrical IMAX mix.

An IMAX display has its own tone map and an IMAX display setting turns on when it reads data from an IMAX Enhanced disc. DTS: X is more or less the same (except for the added speaker output added to a 7.1.4 layout - if your receiver or pre-pro will get the new DTS: X processing software) and they're using HDR10+, which is HDR10 with dynamic rather than static metadata. 12 bit DV would have been better.
aaronwt and PeterTHX like this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 10-12-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Let say one owns an A9F, Sony's new OLED that's IMAX enhanced. Sony doesn't do HDR10+ so whats the advantage? I smell a marketing gimmick. I'm still looking for what makes this different that non IMAX enhanced 4K UHD titles.

Again, IMAX does their DMR processing fiddling with the image at the mastering stage. The IMAX mode on your TV turns on with display specific settings, but you won't get the use of the HDR10+ dynamic metadata. The Sony will respond otherwise just like it received an HDR10 signal.

Yes, it's mostly looking like a gimmick like THX where IMAX and DTS are still trying to maintain some sort of relevance in the age of 4k media.
helvetica bold likes this.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 10-12-2018 at 07:21 PM.
post #35 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
IMAX Enhanced mode? lol...are you kidding me

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | roon
post #36 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 587
The IMAX scenes on the Nolan discs look spectacular on an 85" TV, so I'm looking forward to these releases. My receiver and TV will be getting the IMAX update, hopefully Panasonic updates their current players as well. Might fizzle and be nothing, but I'm willing to take a look.

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
post #37 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
If you have an IMAX-enhanced display, you can use the dedicated IMAX Enhanced mode that's tuned to present the content at its best. The idea behind IMAX Enhanced is that you can start buying the content now and then upgrade to gear that makes the most of it, including on the audio side of things where the IMAX, in coordination with DTS, differentiates itself from competing 3D immersive audio formats.
What a weird marketplace it is when IMAX thinks that a 45 min or 46 min title is something that will cause the public to upgrade existing gear? You can run out and acquire Planet Earth II (300 mins) and Blue Planet II (350 mins) , each that offers 4K HDR10 derived from 4K DI and DTS-HD MA audio that will work fine on any UDTV. Whats the incentive to go IMAX-enhanced for this type of content?

Oppo Beta Group
post #38 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
What a weird marketplace it is when IMAX thinks that a 45 min or 46 min title is something that will cause the public to upgrade existing gear? You can run out and acquire Planet Earth II (300 mins) and Blue Planet II (350 mins) , each that offers 4K HDR10 derived from 4K DI and DTS-HD MA audio that will work fine on any UDTV. Whats the incentive to go IMAX-enhanced for this type of content?

These are just the first two discs. I imagine Hollywood films will be released with IMAX flavors. It's interesting that Disney started releasing Dolby Vision UHD discs then abruptly stopped. Maybe they will go IMAX instead? In my opinion, IMAX has a lot more public awareness than HDR or Dolby Vision probably ever will. If Joe TV Buyer sees a new TV has an IMAX logo vs the other set that doesn't, which one do you think he buys?

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
post #39 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 85
D&M are banking on it working... like they did with Auro.
Of course, that hasn't exactly taken over the world.
The AVR world is confusing enough, adding more standards only makes it trickier to navigate, the harder it gets... the more people will end up buying a soundbar.
aaronwt and vardo like this.
post #40 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
The IMAX scenes on the Nolan discs look spectacular on an 85" TV, so I'm looking forward to these releases. My receiver and TV will be getting the IMAX update, hopefully Panasonic updates their current players as well. Might fizzle and be nothing, but I'm willing to take a look.
Panasonic would need to update their new player to HDR10+ pass-through. Oppo is working on that as well.

Most of the rest is in the IMAX DMR mastering phase in studio and that's only if their DNR process doesn't make things worse.

The DTS: X update is minor at best.

post #41 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Panasonic would need to update their new player to HDR10+ pass-through. Oppo is working on that as well.

Most of the rest is in the IMAX DMR mastering phase in studio and that's only if their DNR process doesn't make things worse.

The DTS: X update is minor at best.
Their latest players will play all the HDR flavors, including HDR10+.
Nexgen76 likes this.

My Theater
x43x.com
post #42 of 167 Old 10-12-2018, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:

Did you find out if the special IMAX mixed DTS: X track will have a discrete Center Height channel or will it be matrixed? There seems to be mixed messaging coming out of CEDIA on this point.
As I understand it, the discrete Center Height channel will be encoded as a fixed object in the DTS:X soundtrack. It will thus be rendered in that location as accurately as possible based on the system you've got, but DTS:X does not include a physical speaker located at the Center Height location.
sdurani likes this.
post #43 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Some potential re-releases of 4K titles from Paramount who is onboard with IMAX Enhanced that I would look forward to would be Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen for the simple fact of having the IMAX scenes restored.
aaronwt, helvetica bold and imagic like this.
post #44 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Again, IMAX does their DMR processing fiddling with the image at the mastering stage. The IMAX mode on your TV turns on with display specific settings, but you won't get the use of the HDR10+ dynamic metadata. The Sony will respond otherwise just like it received an HDR10 signal.

Yes, it's mostly looking like a gimmick like THX where IMAX and DTS are still trying to maintain some sort of relevance in the age of 4k media.
This reminds me of what Samsung used to do, didn't they have a mode where if you had a Samsung display along with a Samsung Blu-ray player there was a setting on the TV where the picture mode was already pre-selected. My previous display was a Samsung JS8500, it had the mode under one of the menus.
post #45 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Do we have a list of what TV's have an IMAX enhanced mode? I know the Sony Master series will but they don't have HDR10+ so its a little confusing. What TV's have both HDR 10+ and will get the IMAX enhanced mode?
post #46 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 383 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked: 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsonia View Post
Do we have a list of what TV's have an IMAX enhanced mode? I know the Sony Master series will but they don't have HDR10+ so its a little confusing. What TV's have both HDR 10+ and will get the IMAX enhanced mode?
I'm guessing... and right now I have to guess because IMAX is literally being very tight-lipped about all this (i.e. there's no embargo for me to break, they won't tell me anything!) but... my guess is there's more TV makers to come and more studios too. And more support from AVR/pre-pros too.

It's not clear if HDR10+ is a requirement of IMAX Enhanced, or simply something that is also a feature of these two Blu-ray releases. IMAX never mentioned HDR10+ as a necessary element and I simply reported on the two concurrent interesting things about these titles. time will tell.

But also, IMAX Enhanced applies to projectors, too. And projectors definitely do not support dynamic metadata (and it would be useless unless projectors had built-in light meters) so I really, I think that HDR10+ is perhaps to be regarded as "just an extra" but I'll be more than glad to convey more info once I have it.
Archibald1 likes this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #47 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 09:06 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 8430 Post(s)
Liked: 5322
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
D&M are banking on it working... like they did with Auro.
Of course, that hasn't exactly taken over the world.
The AVR world is confusing enough, adding more standards only makes it trickier to navigate, the harder it gets... the more people will end up buying a soundbar.
I'm sure there will be some sound bars with the imax enhanced logo.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #48 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm sure there will be some sound bars with the imax enhanced logo.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk
Presumably, like Atmos, what you get out of it will depend on what you put into it.

post #49 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
let the confusion begin, do we really need another 2 formats?
No. I sincerely wish them to fail. HDR10+ more than IMAX sound. While one could hope to soon be able to buy an AVR supporting all sound formats (if one doesn't exist already, I haven't checked), the fact that there's no TV in sight capable of handling all HDR formats is a mark of shame for the AV industry, in my not so humble opinion.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #50 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 12045 Post(s)
Liked: 11169
Imax told a verified tech guy on Twitter that only hdr10 is a requirement, dynamic Metadatas are optional at filmmaker/studio discretion.
post #51 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Imax told a verified tech guy on Twitter that only hdr10 is a requirement, dynamic Metadatas are optional at filmmaker/studio discretion.
The real question is... what sort of hint does this offer? Does it mean a manufacturer that offers HDR10+ will join IMAX Enhanced? Or does it mean a display maker that has signed on with IMAX Enhanced will be adding HDR10+ support? Both answers could start with a letter that rhymes with "yes" but it remains to be seen how this plays out.

IMAX has a good brand. I don't think it's in any hurry to dilute it. I whole impression from what's been described is that it's additive. There's a "maxed out" version, with all-certified gear and a proper 3D immersive sound system etc. but that if you only have parts then you still get benefits. For example, a Samsung TV that does not have an IMAX Enhanced mode will get a benefit from HDR10+, and you can concentrate on the sound.

Recently, IMAX told me more info is coming, and I am gearing up to examine it hands-on from an audio and a TV and a projection standpoint, as it rolls out.
olof79 likes this.

post #52 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 75
"Marketing Enhanced"
post #53 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
In my opinion, IMAX has a lot more public awareness than HDR or Dolby Vision probably ever will.
From my perspective IMAX is just trying to maintain relevance in todays marketplace with lots of competition. Reference this Forbes article.

Quote:
The large-screen company is attempting to reassert itself ten years after The Dark Knight and IMAX’s 2k digital projection system allowed the company to go mainstream.

That’s not to say that the company is in any grave peril, although they had to lay off 100 employees last summer partially due to the overall smaller-than-expected summer box office. But due both to an increase in like-minded competitors (AMC Prime, Dolby Vision, Cinemark XD and the other various premium-large-format options) and an increase in the sheer amount of movies that play in IMAX, there has been, in my subjective opinion, a slight diluting of the special-ness of what is still, I’d argue, the best way to see a movie. If I’ve been writing less about IMAX over the last three years, it’s because it’s no longer an event when a movie is selected to play in IMAX during its theatrical run. What once was a big deal for The Hunger Games or American Sniper is now par for the course.

Oppo Beta Group
post #54 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
"Marketing Enhanced"
Pretty much!

Quote:
Why are IMAX and DTS launching this new program?

While the IMAX theatrical experience continues to be the gold standard in blockbuster movie-going, the companies saw an opportunity to improve and create greater consistency in the home entertainment space. There are two challenges that we’re looking to address. First, we’ve all walked onto a showroom floor and been overwhelmed by the sheer volume of products. Other than price, how do consumers objectively know which is best? Second, as content moves downstream from theatrical to home, how do you ensure an optimized viewing experience that remains faithful to the filmmakers’ creative intent?

The goal of IMAX Enhanced is to take the mystery and frustration out of the buying process to make it easier for consumers to identify the highest-end content and consumer electronics products that will bring the most premium entertainment experience to your home.
Are we going to have Diamond certified home theater products soon also? You know the ones that carry a extra markup because we have taken out the mystery and frustration out of the buying process!

Oppo Beta Group
post #55 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
"Marketing Enhanced"
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! 😄

post #56 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
"Marketing Enhanced"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Pretty much!
Quote:
No, their whole pan was actually to keep all of this a secret.

post #57 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No, their whole plan was actually to keep all of this a secret. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]
Their whole plan was to make money on something that may end up not being necessary and branding IMAX all over it. That DTS (or whatever capital investment hedge fund firm they're currently being controlled by) partnered with them shows they're having trouble competing against Dolby these days.

post #58 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Their whole plan was to make money on something that may end up not being necessary and branding IMAX all over it. That DTS (or whatever capital investment hedge fund firm they're currently being controlled by) partnered with them shows they're having trouble competing against Dolby these days.
Necessary? You mean like Oxygen, food and sleep? None of this is, no. It is, ultimately, optional.

As for partnering with DTS, it shows there's room for an alternative to Dolby that does not involve the "Dolby Tax" i.e. licensing fees. Same reason you'd go with HDR10+ over Dolby Vision. What was it you said earlier? "We'll see what happens..."

Last edited by imagic; 10-13-2018 at 05:37 PM.
post #59 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Necessary? You mean like Oxygen, food and sleep? None of this is, no. It is, ultimately, optional.

Or, it shows there's room for an alternative to Dolby that does not involve the "Dolby Tax" i.e. licensing fees. What was it you said earlier? "We'll see what happens..." [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smDolbyilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
There's a "tax" for Samsung's HDR10+, a "tax" for DTS audio mixing software, etc. Dolby isn't the only company tacking on licensing fees in this industry. Does it make it right, necessarily? No, but to say Dolby is the only villian in town is disingenuous.
PeterTHX likes this.

post #60 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Is this the definition of SNAFU by Mill Creek

I am assuming that in order to enjoy the video of “IMAX enhanced” at the “max” (bad attempt at humor), you need a supporting display mode. Like Dolby Vision or Technicolor for instance. Sony is an IMAX partner but does not support HDR10+. Samsung and Panasonic are not at this time a listed IMAX partner, but support HDR10+. Perhaps Mill Creek got ahead of themselves. They chose HDR10+ because they could do it cheaply and say “we got dynamic metadata”, but without acknowledging that there is not a hardware chain in place to take full advantage of their discs.

I have no thoughts on the audio part.

"Death, where is thy sting"

Life is Tough. Then you get a firmware update!
--Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
a beautiful planet , imax-enhanced , journey to the south pacific