post #61 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4114 Post(s)
Liked: 2291
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingSalty View Post
I am assuming that in order to enjoy the video of “IMAX enhanced” at the “max” (bad attempt at humor), you need a supporting display mode. Like Dolby Vision or Technicolor for instance. Sony is an IMAX partner but does not support HDR10+. Samsung and Panasonic are not at this time a listed IMAX partner, but support HDR10+. Perhaps Mill Creek got ahead of themselves. They chose HDR10+ because they could do it cheaply and say “we got dynamic metadata”, but without acknowledging that there is not a hardware chain in place to take full advantage of their discs. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]

I have no thoughts on the audio part.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
The audio part is easy in that they will play in 7.1.4 max on standard DTS: X decoders and 7.1.5 max on IMAX Enhanced DTS: X decoders. DTS: X bitstreams as before from a UHD player.

IMAX 12 track audio has no dedicated LFE subwoofer channel, so I would imagine some of the heavier bass will be filtered and rolled off to an LFE channel on the home mixes.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 10-13-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 383 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked: 14509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
There's a "tax" for Samsung's HDR10+, a "tax" for DTS audio mixing software, etc. Dolby isn't the only company tacking on licensing fees in this industry. Does it make it right, necessarily? No, but to say Dolby is the only villian in town is disingenuous.
I'm merely suggesting that when you don't have a monopoly, you have competition. And when you have competition, you can sign a better deal with one person than another person, or company. Is that disingenuous or is it just capitalism?

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #63 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I am not into audio at all

Quote:
The audio part is easy in that they will play in 7.1.4 max on standard DTS: X decoders and 7.1.5 max on IMAX Enhanced DTS: X decoders. DTS: X bitstreams as before from a UHD player.

IMAX 12 track audio has no dedicated LFE subwoofer channel, so I would imagine some of the heavier bass will be filtered and rolled off to an LFE channel on the home mixes.
I was thinking more along the line of the speakers and their layout. Can the IMAX sound use the same speaker arrangement as Atmos, or would there be a compromise using that layout?

"Death, where is thy sting"

Life is Tough. Then you get a firmware update!
--Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking more along the line of the speakers and their layout. Can the IMAX sound use the same speaker arrangement as Atmos, or would there be a compromise using that layout?
It's basically an Atmos 7.1.4 layout with a center height added. The sound will come out of the front center and center height to somehow phantom between as DTS :X's Center Height location is not in the IMAX CH location. Why they can't do a little remixing is beyond me.
StayingSalty likes this.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 10-13-2018 at 06:28 PM.
post #65 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
My understanding is it can use Atmos speaker configs because it works with whatever works with DTS:X, and DTS:X works with Atmos arrangements.

And besides, using height speakers mounted where the wall meets the ceiling works great for Atmos too, even if it's not an "official" configuration.
StayingSalty likes this.

post #66 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6460 Post(s)
Liked: 5228
IMAX shows alternate versions of Hollywood movies. Some use their DMR process, others don't (Fantasia 2000). Some have different running times, shorter or longer than the non-IMAX versions. Some have the same aspect ratio as the non-IMAX version, some have varying aspect ratios, and some have the IMAX aspect ratio; sometimes the latter is achieved through cropping (Star Wars: Episode 2) and sometimes by open matte (Apollo 13). Soundtracks can be 5-channel or 6-channel or 12-channel.

There is no ONE thing (e.g., filling up the IMAX frame) that all these movies do. What ends up in the IMAX version is different from movie to movie. The main thing they all have in common is that these alternate versions are shown in IMAX theatres for a couple of weeks and then sit on the shelf forever, never to be seen again. The IMAX Enhanced program attempts to monetize these dormant assets by releasing them on home video.

Keep in mind that millions have already seen these alternate versions in IMAX theatres (and didn't come away scarred for life because it was different from the non-IMAX version). Studios already gave IMAX permission to release them theatrically. Sony & Paramount are now giving IMAX permission to release some of these versions (and future titles) on home video. These are existing masters, just being released for the first time on UHD and 4K streaming.

BTW, if you don't like a Diamond Edition version of a movie, like Gravity, then don't buy it. If you don't like paying extra for Criterion Collection versions of movies, don't buy them. Likewise, if the very idea of IMAX Enhanced releases triggers you, don't buy them.
EvLee, Madmax67 and Archibald1 like this.

Sanjay
post #67 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
IMAX shows alternate versions of Hollywood movies. Some use their DMR process, others don't (Fantasia 2000). Some have different running times, shorter or longer than the non-IMAX versions. Some have the same aspect ratio as the non-IMAX version, some have varying aspect ratios, and some have the IMAX aspect ratio; sometimes the latter is achieved through cropping (Star Wars: Episode 2) and sometimes by open matte (Apollo 13). Soundtracks can be 5-channel or 6-channel or 12-channel.

There is no ONE thing (e.g., filling up the IMAX frame) that all these movies do. What ends up in the IMAX version is different from movie to movie. The main thing they all have in common is that these alternate versions are shown in IMAX theatres for a couple of weeks and then sit on the shelf forever, never to be seen again. The IMAX Enhanced program attempts to monetize these dormant assets by releasing them on home video.

Keep in mind that millions have already seen these alternate versions in IMAX theatres (and didn't come away scarred for life because it was different from the non-IMAX version). Studios already gave IMAX permission to release them theatrically. Sony & Paramount are now giving IMAX permission to release some of these versions (and future titles) on home video. These are existing masters, just being released for the first time on UHD and 4K streaming.

BTW, if you don't like a Diamond Edition version of a movie, like Gravity, then don't buy it. If you don't like paying extra for Criterion Collection versions of movies, don't buy them. Likewise, if the very idea of IMAX Enhanced releases triggers you, don't buy them.
If they are showing altered cuts and altered than intended ratio versions of older assets, then I hope we still get a choice on 4k Blu-ray because then I think a lot of folks won't be buying IMAX Enhanced products.

post #68 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
If they are showing altered cuts and altered than intended ratio versions of older assets, then I hope we still get a choice on 4k Blu-ray because then I think a lot of folks won't be buying IMAX Enhanced products.
I hope they remove all choice just to watch the fireworks as people's heads explode dealing with this first-world problem.
tenthplanet and Archibald1 like this.

Sanjay
post #69 of 167 Old 10-13-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I hope they remove all choice just to watch the fireworks as people's heads explode dealing with this first-world problem.
Well, at least we'll know who gives a little damn about the films themselves if that's the case.

post #70 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 02:30 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5116 Post(s)
Liked: 4648
I sat through the CEDIA AVS invitational presentation on IMAX enhanced. On the video side other than the aspect ratio there was a description of the remastering process that is starting with a new 8K master from the film, that is converted to 4K and their flavor of HDR. They presented a split screen of with and without their IMAX enhanced flavor and I asked the people around me if they could see a difference, nobody did. Mark were you there. Thoughts?

It is good that IMAX is digging into their vault of original content and remastering for 4K. I’d like to see the 8k version. I suspect the market response to the 4K will determine if that will come to pass.
aaronwt, curtisb and PULSAR3002 like this.
post #71 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I sat through the CEDIA AVS invitational presentation on IMAX enhanced. On the video side other than the aspect ratio there was a description of the remastering process that is starting with a new 8K master from the film, that is converted to 4K and their flavor of HDR. They presented a split screen of with and without their IMAX enhanced flavor and I asked the people around me if they could see a difference, nobody did. Mark were you there. Thoughts?

It is good that IMAX is digging into their vault of original content and remastering for 4K. I’d like to see the 8k version. I suspect the market response to the 4K will determine if that will come to pass.
I saw the effect of the noise reduction. If others did not, then I'd suggest the noise reduction was done very well, in a non destructive manner, such that most folks simply don't see it. As a digital photographer the effect of the processing was subtle but apparent, and I'd judge it as having been done very well. Ultimately, some sort of translation has to occur when going from a movie screen to a home environment, and what that accounts for is the increased contrast and peak luminance achievable by home systems, and in particular HDR TVs.

Noise costs bandwidth since compression looks for differences between frames, and with noise every pixel is different in every frame. Get rid of that noise and you can pack in more detail. So one hypothetical benefit of the noise reduction is that more data goes to reproducing the image itself, and not noise/grain, given the high compression ratios of digital video.

The other thing discussed about the noise reduction is that it's more important for HDR TVs than projectors because HDR has a tendency to exaggerate noise (and film grain) due to the higher contrast. I've seen this effect and agree with the premise of mitigating it (albeit if it's there for artistic effect, not eliminating it) for a better viewing experience.
sdurani likes this.

Last edited by imagic; 10-14-2018 at 09:02 AM.
post #72 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Lol you go right ahead and buy that "regular" version of the film, Dan. while I'm sure that IMAX would love it if all movie theaters were replaced by IMAX auditoriums and all Blu-rays were IMAX Enhanced, the risk of total hegemony is rather low, I suspect.

Choice... It's a good thing.
tenthplanet and Archibald1 like this.

Last edited by imagic; 10-14-2018 at 07:03 AM.
post #73 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I went from Betamax to VHS to Laser disc to DVD To Blue Ray to 4k . Stop the madness ....
william06 and vardo like this.

Sony VW285ES, Arcam850, Def Tech 9000 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Oppo203 Screen studioTak130 with 1.3 gain, and a nagging wife.
post #74 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
I went from Betamax to VHS to Laser disc to DVD To Blue Ray to 4k . Stop the madness ....
And I grew up in Greece, in the 1970s, where there were only two channels, our TV was black and white, and when they stop broadcasting at the end of the evening they showed a clock.

On the other hand, the country is full of outdoor movie theaters, there was one right in the middle of my block. There was an indoor theater in my block, too. And amusingly, Theo Kalomirakis remembers the Roxy in Kypseli, where I saw the first movie I ever remember seeing, which was some Godzilla movie.

Before Betamax and VHS, I just went to movies.
tenthplanet and william06 like this.

post #75 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
And I grew up in Greece, in the 1970s, where there were only two channels, our TV was black and white, and when they stop broadcasting at the end of the evening they showed a clock.

On the other hand, the country is full of outdoor movie theaters, there was one right in the middle of my block. There was an indoor theater in my block, too. And amusingly, Theo Kalomirakis remembers the Roxy in Kypseli, where I saw the first movie I ever remember seeing, which was some Godzilla movie.

Before Betamax and VHS, I just went to movies.
I guess soon we might see an outdoor version of our fav movies called Enhanced Outdoor Version.

Sony VW285ES, Arcam850, Def Tech 9000 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Oppo203 Screen studioTak130 with 1.3 gain, and a nagging wife.
post #76 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
I guess soon we might see an outdoor version of our fav movies called Enhanced Outdoor Version.
It has to come with a full-service bar right in the theater, and also BBQ souvlaki on a stick, in addition to popcorn.

post #77 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It has to come with a full-service bar right in the theater, and also BBQ souvlaki on a stick, in addition to popcorn.
And a really fast bathroom trip after eating the BBQ souvlaki on a stick

post #78 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
They presented a split screen of with and without their IMAX enhanced flavor and I asked the people around me if they could see a difference, nobody did.
The noise reduction was the most apparent difference. You'd think that would come at the expense of detail, but it seemed to be the opposite: details appeared slightly crisper/clearer with the noise reduced. Might have been aided by a subtle difference in contrast.

Sanjay
post #79 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
I'm merely suggesting that when you don't have a monopoly, you have competition. And when you have competition, you can sign a better deal with one person than another person, or company. Is that disingenuous or is it just capitalism?
No, you implied DTS & HDR10+ were free, as opposed to the evil Dolby and their licensing fees.

There's also a licensing fee for HEVC. Why aren't there any VP-9 discs then?
Dan Hitchman likes this.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #80 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
No, you implied DTS & HDR10+ were free, as opposed to the evil Dolby and their licensing fees.

There is pretty much a fee on everything on the front of an AVR. Those companies don't put out all these technologies for free.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #81 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:

That's your interpretation. How can you possibly tell me what I meant to say? Lol.
Madmax67 likes this.

post #82 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Just chiming in to support everything you've said. The first thing IMAX wants to do when they receive a movie is put it through their process to pump things up beyond what the original digital cinema master provides. This is essentially in accordance with the IMAX brand that aims to give the audience MORE. However, they do take input from film makers during the process and I've seen vastly differing degrees of how much directors embrace this. Some directors are totally comfortable with upselling the experience knowing that the IMAX audience expects something different, others... not so much. Of course this will also feed further debate among fans about what is the "best" version of a movie, when in reality there is no single definitive creative vision for any movie. And yes, studios love new ways to monetize existing assets.

Quote:

sdurani and DanBa like this.
post #83 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
How can you possibly tell me what I meant to say? Lol.
Uh, your own words perhaps?
Quote:
As for partnering with DTS, it shows there's room for an alternative to Dolby that does not involve the "Dolby Tax" i.e. licensing fees. Same reason you'd go with HDR10+ over Dolby Vision.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #84 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Uh, your own words perhaps?

OK, instead of being defensive... I admit. My sentence reads the wrong way. Hopefully, readers will understand at this point, that what I meant to convey is that there could be a financial incentive to strike a deal with a Dolby competitor, but I do not actually know the answer. I don't think any of this stuff is "free" and so it's regrettable that what I wrote was construed that way.
PeterTHX and Madmax67 like this.

post #85 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
More discs in the I don't need them BUT I WANT THEM category.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #86 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvLee View Post
However, they do take input from film makers during the process and I've seen vastly differing degrees of how much directors embrace this.
Yup. When Raiders of the Lost Ark had a one week run in IMAX theatres six years ago to promote the Blu-ray release, Spielberg supervised the DMR process and said at the time: "I didn't know if the 1981 print would stand up to a full IMAX transfer, so I came expecting a sort of grainy, muddy, and overly enlarged representation of the movie I had made years ago. I was blown away by the fact that it looked better than the movie I had made years ago."

By comparison, cinematographer Roger Deakins was not blown away: "We did NOT use the DMR process for the IMAX version of Blade Runner 2049. I had experience testing this process when finishing Skyfall. I didn't like the effect it was going to do with that film so we made our own transfer of Skyfall for IMAX and everyone was very happy with the result." The custom transfer Deakins made for Blade Runner 2049 was unmatted the image to 1.9 aspect ratio.

Aside from Skyfall and Blade Runner 2049, several animated movies ran in IMAX theatres without using the DMR process (Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Treasure Planet, etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvLee View Post
Of course this will also feed further debate among fans about what is the "best" version of a movie, when in reality there is no single definitive creative vision for any movie.
First you have to get them to acknowledge that there are valid alternate versions.

Sanjay
post #87 of 167 Old 10-14-2018, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Add an autodoner, some beef,some lamb, some pitas, and some Ouzo. Now we're set.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #88 of 167 Old 10-15-2018, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Lol you go right ahead and buy that "regular" version of the film, Dan. while I'm sure that IMAX would love it if all movie theaters were replaced by IMAX auditoriums and all Blu-rays were IMAX Enhanced, the risk of total hegemony is rather low, I suspect.

Choice... It's a good thing.
The issue isn't about choice as they aren't adding choice, they are adding consumer confusion to a already confusing set of offerings.

Nice if they are supporting DTS X to help them out as that might have a minor positive affect (that consumers may never see) in Dolby fees for some but that is negligible benefit relative to the addition cost they are trying to drive in receivers, possibly players, and TVs (and possibly content) to be 'imax enhanced' branded.

And we've yet to see what ti is that they are supposed to be bringing that is indeed "enhanced". DTS X and HDR10+ (as optional...) isn't unique to their efforts. If they are changing other things that aren't part of official standards then it would be a negative but the catch 22 is if they aren't, what exactly are they 'enhancing'?? We need studios and display manufacturers working hard to meet the standards they are still short of, at high quality, we don't need it 'enhanced'.

If they did restore the taller IMAX aspect ratio (though cropped to 1:78) to the 2.35:1 that had them in the theater but didn't have them on home video, that would be nice, but the rest of this so far is not 'Choice', it is currently pure marketing BS that will likely have a net negative affect.
DanBa likes this.
post #89 of 167 Old 10-15-2018, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
If you have an IMAX-enhanced display, you can use the dedicated IMAX Enhanced mode that's tuned to present the content at its best.
What is an IMAX-enhanced display?
curtisb likes this.
post #90 of 167 Old 10-15-2018, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
The issue isn't about choice as they aren't adding choice, they are adding consumer confusion to a already confusing set of offerings.

Nice if they are supporting DTS X to help them out as that might have a minor positive affect (that consumers may never see) in Dolby fees for some but that is negligible benefit relative to the addition cost they are trying to drive in receivers, possibly players, and TVs (and possibly content) to be 'imax enhanced' branded.

And we've yet to see what ti is that they are supposed to be bringing that is indeed "enhanced". DTS X and HDR10+ (as optional...) isn't unique to their efforts. If they are changing other things that aren't part of official standards then it would be a negative but the catch 22 is if they aren't, what exactly are they 'enhancing'?? We need studios and display manufacturers working hard to meet the standards they are still short of, at high quality, we don't need it 'enhanced'.

If they did restore the taller IMAX aspect ratio (though cropped to 1:78) to the 2.35:1 that had them in the theater but didn't have them on home video, that would be nice, but the rest of this so far is not 'Choice', it is currently pure marketing BS that will likely have a net negative affect.
I don't find it confusing, this is not exactly rocket science. Multiple releases of movies have existed for years and generally speaking people "get" what IMAX is. I find it amusing that a few people are trying so hard to turn this into a negative.

Soon I will have more info so folks can make informed decisions on whether all this appeals to them or not. Discussing it in the abstract with the limited info I currently available won't do it justice, I suspect.

Last edited by imagic; 10-15-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
a beautiful planet , imax-enhanced , journey to the south pacific